Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 Fan Calendar Guidelines  (Read 591848 times)

Wolfrider

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Fan Calendar Guidelines
« Reply #200 on: August 22, 2011, 07:36:20 PM »

Windrider, might I do Newstar (SatS/Discovery)? It almost killed me doing my Nightfall submission, but I enjoyed it. Now I'm done, I'd love to tackle Newstar. She's just beautiful.

Rosalie

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 23, 2011, 08:13:50 AM »

Can I take Kahvi? And what story is the hidden years " going back" story exactly? The one where she meets Egg or the one where she tries to steal the little palace? The printversion in my country is not the same as in the US.
If I can find the time I would love to do a male character as well but I can't really choose...

Wolfrider

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 23, 2011, 09:06:01 AM »

Going Back is Hidden Years #2, where Kahvi tries to steal the little palace from the Sun Folk. She wears a pretty skimpy outfit in that one.

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 23, 2011, 11:52:14 AM »

Hey Rosalie!  You've done Kahvi for the last two calendars - of course you can draw her for this one!

Yes, Wolfrider is right, the story "Going Back" is in Hidden Years #2.  The costume she wears there is tailor-made for this pin-up project; nice and skimpy.  You could also draw her in her "Kahvi" series outfit.  Or both, "sexy" pose in one and "costumed" pose in the other.

Wolfrider: I'll put you down for drawing Newstar, too, but folks should remember to PM me with their choices.  Foxeye made that nice little navigation square in the upper right corner so we wouldn't have to spam forum discussions with private questions!   ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:15:50 PM by Windrider »

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 23, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »

A bit of news:

Reply #3 on this thread has been modified to be a continuously updated unclaimed character list.  This should make it easier to find characters for artists just joining the project, or for you who have finished your first characters and want to see who needs some love.

Note that it STILL isn't a complete list.  There are obscure characters yet to be included.  And remember, each character may have TWO artists drawing them (more for the main characters).  I haven't included every character with only one artist, so to find them you will still have to refer to the Master List in the second post.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:16:58 PM by Windrider »

PenDragon

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2011, 07:42:28 PM »

I hae been scrolling through this thread, looking for opportunities for writers in the upcoming calendar.  Did I miss any?
My avatar is Avatar - get it?

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 25, 2011, 09:01:12 PM »

I had thought of including a bit of writing, but the thought of formatting this monster project with just art and calendar is already a bit overwhelming.  The only writing that could possibly be included with the art (besides artist credit) would be to have each character's name large and under it a small blurb (a couple lines) about that character.

If this ends up including as much art as I hope, I was thinking of including an introduction on the subject of how beauty (and sexiness) is in the eye of the beholder.  This seems an appropriate subject for our theme and the variety of characters we are including.  I was hoping to have Richard write it - or maybe Wordgazer, if he can't.

If this becomes a two year "yearbook of fan art", it might also be interesting to have a little essay by a fan artist on artistic growth, how EQ influenced their art, or something such as that.  Foxeye should write that piece (putting you on the spot, Foxy  ;D )

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #207 on: August 26, 2011, 08:22:23 AM »

*snorts her coffee up her nose*

Only if you promise to seek someone better if what I write sounds overly cheesy/dorky. Haven't done much writing lately.

AceQuester

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 27, 2011, 05:28:46 AM »

Hi there everybody,

i just signed in here because i wanna try to enter the contest/calendar. I'm only a beginner and this would be my first attemp so i hope that they are good enough to make it in the calendar. I do hope that someone can help me and advise me about what program i can use for coloring... I do have Adobe Illustrator but i haven't used it for 10 years so i really must learn everything from the beginning again.. :(

But i feel excited, just by drawing again. And i hope that everybody feels the dame :)
Ayooooooooooooh to you all!
Warm furs and good hunting... And remember it's a Beautiful Life!

AceQuester

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 27, 2011, 05:51:12 AM »

dame = same ;)
Warm furs and good hunting... And remember it's a Beautiful Life!

Jeedai

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 27, 2011, 05:42:32 PM »

(boy am I looking into this late...)

I see that Jink is already taken.

But since other characters have been given multiple pages based on outfits or eras, would TPTB here be willing to split Jink into Human-form and Elf-form pin-ups, so I can take the one Wildfire isnt doing?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:44:11 PM by Jeedai »

Wildfire

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2011, 06:09:59 AM »

(boy am I looking into this late...)

But since other characters have been given multiple pages based on outfits or eras, would TPTB here be willing to split Jink into Human-form and Elf-form pin-ups, so I can take the one Wildfire isnt doing?
Well, as you said one character can be drawn by two artists, so go for it! I'm drawing Elf!Jink in her black-blue outfit she appeared in first time. She's actually got tons of outfits which is a bit surprising for the relatively short story!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 29, 2011, 12:30:42 PM »

Wohoo! I finally finished my Nightfall full body picture. I dared some new things (new for me, anyway) and they didn't turn out so badly. So I guess I could be unhappier with the result. So, now on to the action pose and the portrait! At this speed both shall still take long, though... Just wanted to say that I'm still no less motivated to do this and see it through. ;D

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 29, 2011, 06:15:04 PM »

Just getting caught up here after the weekend.

Quote from: Foxeye
Only if you promise to seek someone better if what I write sounds overly cheesy/dorky. Haven't done much writing lately.

Who else would be appropriate to write that other than our most fabulous Empress of the EQ Fan Art website!   ;D  Perhaps someone in the fandom a long time?  Medea is a wonderful writer as well as artist.  Anyone else have suggestions?

Quote from: AceQuester
I do hope that someone can help me and advise me about what program i can use for coloring... I do have Adobe Illustrator but i haven't used it for 10 years so i really must learn everything from the beginning again.. :(

Welcome AceQuester!  You know, you don't have to color on the computer.  I know everyone here is going to roll their eyes 'cause they've heard it a million times, but I really like traditional media.  Use what you are comfortable with!  If you don't feel like you can color well, there are also a few collaborative efforts in this calendar, with one person drawing and another coloring.

Quote from: Jeedai

Another newbie to welcome!  Please, all you new artists, share some of your art in the gallery here.  We are a well-established fan art community, but that doesn't mean we don't LOVE seeing new people's art here!

Jeedai, we'll work it out by PM, but Wildfire is right, two people can draw Jink.  You can either draw her as human or pick a different costume than Wildfire.

Quote from: Treefox
At this speed both shall still take long, though... Just wanted to say that I'm still no less motivated to do this and see it through. ;D

Yeah at least you have one entry done and one progressing nicely.  I can't seem to find time to get mine past the compositional sketch stage.   :-\

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2011, 09:08:34 AM »

You know, you don't have to color on the computer.

Wait, there is another way to color than color pencils? Wow :P
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

branchscamper

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »

I still haven't progressed much.  I seem to have gotten a sudden case of cold feet trying to finish up my drawing.  I hope it looks alright!  I took a bit of a break to draw a few random elves of a tribe my sister and I created...oh gosh...over 10 years ago?  LOL  Anyhoo it's helped and I'm gaining more confidence with drawing once more after my year break. 

I'll probably be attempting different variations of colouring to see what I like the most.  It will probably end up in coloured pencils as it's my fave way to go.  With a lot of line inking >_> 

I'm enjoying myself way too much!

kittensoft

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 31, 2011, 09:40:33 PM »

Almost done (drawn + colored) both the action shot and sexy pose on my first piece ...wow it definitely is something of a challenge, am trying out some new poses I haven't done before...also, trying to get all the shading/highlights on the armor to look right is tough! I'm happy with how it looks so far though! :)

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 02, 2011, 01:19:33 PM »

You know... I've got myself some watercolor pencils. In it there is a color for Caucasian skin. Bowki is one of my favorites, and Minyah has always been a very cool minor character, but one of the main reasons why I claimed those two was that I only had brown hues for color. I've been experimenting with my new one and it comes on nicely. At least to my eyes. So now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and claim Chot, my favorite character...
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #218 on: September 04, 2011, 02:23:17 PM »

Fehh, I'm still struggling with Jink. Or well, with art in general. The actionshot and the portrait are done (yay), but I still need to colour the full-body part. And make them look good in the final picture xD Composition was never my strong suit. Oh well... And Haken is giving me a headache, drawing tall and slender elves is difficult!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 12:08:45 PM by Foxeye »

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 04, 2011, 03:23:41 PM »

Question: I can't decide if I want to draw Chot in the Going Back outfit or Greenz. Anyone has a vote for me?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #220 on: September 04, 2011, 09:46:30 PM »

Question: I can't decide if I want to draw Chot in the Going Back outfit or Greenz. Anyone has a vote for me?

Whatever involves more layers...the more they wear, the more fun it is taking them off. ;)

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 05, 2011, 03:47:09 AM »

*snorts coffee out of nose* Hehe, Greenz it is then.

branchscamper

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 05, 2011, 11:21:34 AM »

I'm finally inking my first drawing!  I'm truly happy and yet nervous.  I've been experimenting colouring via my PS7 thanks to some YT videos and instructions from Tevokkia, but I'm not sure that is how I will go with this.  I'll see which I like better =D 

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 07, 2011, 03:13:54 PM »

I was going lately through some tutorials and manpages for several programs that I use. (Well, basically you can also translate certain basic effects that you want to achieve from one prog to another.)

I did a

http://www.google.com/search?q=elfquest+gimp&safe=off

cause I was curious and besides going through the usual tutorials I wanted to see if somebody dealt with the 2 very specific topics.

and look what I've found:
http://foxeye-art.com/tutorials/messyportrait_tutorial/

Heh. So in case it is useful for somebody and Jere too shy to promote her own tutorial... :)

Besides that I am making progress. Few but there is.
I mean, lines are going fairly ok by now, and I must say I might have been faster first using paper, scanning and then maybe vectorizing it.
But so I started completely digital with vectors for the linework and basic colouration (Inkscape, LibreOffice Draw). Using a mixture of tablet and mouse. Doesn't feel the same like paper, but then you can more easily correct things and edit around and try things without having to rub a hole in the paper by all that eraser use.

Later will throw it into Krita or GIMP and see what happens with the colours.

It's hard when you don't have any practise in so much things art related... I liked arts kinda in school but that is now >10 years ago.
Ah, and there is still so much to do about the picture. Well, stupid "RL" workload. :/

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #224 on: September 08, 2011, 10:45:46 PM »

Hah! I just don't know if it's still any use anymore...GIMP has probably changed a lot, UI-wise, since I did that!

I've had three people now ask me for feedback, btw. If there is anyone else out there who would appreciate a draw-over, don't be shy!  My focus is usually on anatomy, but I'd be happy to tackle other aspects as well.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27   Go Up