Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [Tool of the Trade] Wacom Inkling  (Read 23099 times)

Emberra

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Page
[Tool of the Trade] Wacom Inkling
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:46:44 PM »

Has anyone heard about this yet?

If you don't know about it here is the youtube link: INKLING BY WACOM and the official site: http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Inkling

Its supposed to be so that you can sketch with pen and paper, and simultaneously made digital. That the best way I can find to describe it anyways. I've found that so far my pencil sketches and inked drawings are better then my all digital stuff. Though, I love doing digital work. I think its a good way to meet in between.

What do you guys think about it?  :dunno
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 08:48:48 PM by Emberra »

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
Re: Wacom Inkling
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:57:20 PM »

:shocker

That looks very shiney.

Curse you, i already have too many tech arttoys.  :argh

Emberra

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Page
Re: Wacom Inkling
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:01:25 PM »

:shocker

That looks very shiney.

Curse you, i already have too many tech arttoys.  :argh

Who can ever have too many tech art toys?
Its gotta be that shiney for the price tag on it, $199.

Icebird

• Wolf
  • Toasty
    • View Profile
Re: [Tool of the Trade] Wacom Inkling
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 10:06:46 AM »

That is just the coolest thing I've seen in a long while! I crave this!

Startear

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 10:34:12 AM »

Wow. I've tried ordinary wacoms and not liked the feel of it, thus stuck to pencil, pen and color pencils. But that looks so cool. And I find myself craving it. Really craving this thing. Technically I even have the money to buy it... but those are to pay for my exam.
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

branchscamper

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:19:22 AM »

That is...really cool  :o  But it still leads to my lazy factor of having to connect it to the computer and download ^_^;;;  It's like my other past time of photography.  I love taking photos and the final product, but taking the time to download hundreds of photos and then go and edit them...sigh...If I had more time in the day I think I would feel otherwise LOL

But the Inkling is still cool!

Mist-eyes

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 05:58:25 PM »

Holy CRAP that is cool! *whips out paper and pen* ..."Dear Santa...." <3 <3 <3

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 11:46:08 AM »

Okay, that is SO the tool for me! Why didn't I have that when I still went to school? The amount of sketches I produced there was amazing! Would have been so cool to transfer them to PC to turn them into "real" drawings. If I should get a christmas bonus this year, I think I might get me one of these.
Still, I would like to hear about some people's experience first. I mean it looks good in the advertisements, but does it work that well in real life?

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 04:52:10 AM »

One more thing: I really would like to get to know more about compatibility with programs besides Photoshop. So far I couldn't get information about the compatibility with GIMP. I wouldn't like to buy Photoshop just for this.
So if anyone hears something about these compatibility issues, I would be interested.

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 08:44:47 AM »

I want this. This would be SO PEFECT ;______; I never do pencil-sketches because I'm too lazy (and my parents' scanner too sucky) to scan them. This would be absolutely amazing.
As Treefox I'm a bit skeptical about it though, I'll wait until I've read some reviews.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »

One more thing: I really would like to get to know more about compatibility with programs besides Photoshop. So far I couldn't get information about the compatibility with GIMP. I wouldn't like to buy Photoshop just for this.
So if anyone hears something about these compatibility issues, I would be interested.

According to their page and the video they show of the export, if you want the file to preserve layers, you do need Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator, or Autodesk Sketchbook Pro 2011+ or Designer.  They have their own app that does the initial read from the device, and then you export from that app directly into one of the supported programs (not directly to a .PSD file).

If you don't care about layers, then you can save it as a number of flat formats (JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG, SVG & PDF) and then use whatever app you like to edit those.

Without being able to include the layers, though, it may not be much more than a glorified scanner. :( Especially if the pen itself isn't all that great for sketching with!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 12:32:52 PM »

Thank you very much! I really do wonder if the pen is good for drawing or not. But you are so right. Without the layer gadget, it really isn't that much more than a scanner.
I was so close to pre-order one yesterday... but with the new information I am glad that I reconsidered. Thanks again!

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 12:23:16 AM »

Someone pointed me towards this as well, but I told 'm scanning is cheaper. ;)

Emberra

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Page
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 11:22:05 AM »

Wow. I've tried ordinary wacoms and not liked the feel of it, thus stuck to pencil, pen and color pencils. But that looks so cool. And I find myself craving it. Really craving this thing. Technically I even have the money to buy it... but those are to pay for my exam.
Maybe you want to look into cheaper brands of the same type of product? From what I know there are atleast 2 other companies making something similar thats already out.

Emberra

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Page
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 11:23:16 AM »

That is...really cool  :o  But it still leads to my lazy factor of having to connect it to the computer and download ^_^;;;  It's like my other past time of photography.  I love taking photos and the final product, but taking the time to download hundreds of photos and then go and edit them...sigh...If I had more time in the day I think I would feel otherwise LOL

But the Inkling is still cool!
I get what you mean. The only reason I can do this now is because I have the majority of three days off in a week.

Emberra

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Page
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 11:28:43 AM »

Okay, that is SO the tool for me! Why didn't I have that when I still went to school? The amount of sketches I produced there was amazing! Would have been so cool to transfer them to PC to turn them into "real" drawings. If I should get a christmas bonus this year, I think I might get me one of these.
Still, I would like to hear about some people's experience first. I mean it looks good in the advertisements, but does it work that well in real life?
Arg I want to quote both of your messages and replay but I'll just do one and respond to both.
The critiques will probably take a while to come out but I'm sure that the similar products by other companies already have some out so maybe google that so you have some idea of that you may be getting into.
Also, about the whole photoshop thing. To my knowledge it has its own erm i suppose the word is editor program and then you save it in your preferred file format which just happens to include PS. If you don't really do layers with your line work you can save is as a .png or a .jpg file and just open it up in gimp. and I have this itching feeling the PS files are compatible with GIMP, well atleast I know they are for SAI.

Emberra

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Page
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 11:30:25 AM »

Someone pointed me towards this as well, but I told 'm scanning is cheaper. ;)
So True. The only reason I love this so much though is because all my scanners have hated my laptops. Probably because they arent meant to be plugged then unplugged.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 12:30:32 PM »

Thanks for more insight. Are PS files compatible with Gimp or not, that it the question, indeed.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 12:44:56 PM »

To my knowledge it has its own erm i suppose the word is editor program and then you save it in your preferred file format which just happens to include PS.

Watching their video, it looked like they hit a "photoshop" button in their editor and it launched photoshop and directly opened your file. No .psd saving. :(

It's possible they've changed the app since they made that video, of course, but it didn't look encouraging.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 11:49:10 AM »

Awww. Needs more money. And maybe also a driver for the device.
But interesting thing though, and they mentioned vectors. Just wondering if you can as easily erase something.

Emberra

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Page
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 03:04:54 PM »

Its gotten pushed back again! It won't be coming out until mid-November now! HOW MANY TIMES CAN YOU PUSH IT BACK!!!! ARG!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 01:25:46 PM »

So, you're still planning to get it?
If yes, please share your experience!

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 05:53:32 AM »

The magazine ImagineFX just released a short review of the Inkling
http://www.imaginefx.com/02287754331686744927/wacom-inkling.html

They're pretty happy with it! Rating is 5 out of 5 ^__^

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 06:45:19 AM »

That is a positive review... I am still tempted.
Maybe I should check my finance situation next year and consider to buy Photoshop and the Inkling...
But I am still undecided.

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 07:30:36 AM »

Now I'm really tempted... I may have to add it on my birthday wish list. :)
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up