Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maturity Rating in a nutshell  (Read 24743 times)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
Maturity Rating in a nutshell
« on: April 28, 2009, 09:48:34 AM »

I've seen a fair bit of uncertainty in gallery posts as to which items deserve the maturity rating and which don't, so I thought I'd boil it down to a single sentence:

If Wendy has drawn it (in Elfquest), it isn't "mature".

For those who haven't read everything that exists a gazillion times over, I will add to that "yes, Wendy has shown bare breasts with nipples".

So, again, if you wouldn't be shocked to see your drawing appear in the comics, you are fine and no Maturity label is needed.

AngelsEmbrace

Re: Maturity Rating in a nutshell
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 08:21:13 AM »

Wendy has drawn:

1)  Timmain in frontal nude
2)  an orgy
3)  several populated battle sequences
4)  Guttlekraw's severed head on a pike
5)  naked children (Cutter and family bathing)
6)  a man's thumb being severed ("Thief" trying to steal the Lodestone)
7)  Guttlekraw wearing severed body parts as decoration
8 )  ritual torture (Redlance)
9)  Leetah throwing a knife into a troll's eyeball (first encounter with Guttlekraw trolls)
10)  a man and his bird being run through with a catapulted spear (Lord Voll)

...and this is just ten things off the top of my head, from the original 1978-81 series.

Faerydae

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • ElfWitch.com
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 01:50:07 AM »

Just to clarify further ...

Wendy has not however ever drawn the lower "naughty bits" - ie, no penises (erect or flaccid), no vaginas (or frontal clefts). Most of her nude work is implicated, and there are nearly always strategic placements that sort of self-censor the nudity so rather than be graphic or explicit, it is implied and subtle. Rear ends and nipples are shown.
~Faerydae

(also known as Rainy)

AngelsEmbrace

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 05:11:57 AM »

Wendy has not however ever drawn the lower "naughty bits" ... Rear ends and nipples are shown.

Absolutely!  That's called "figleafing" a character, and it's an effective means of drawing attention to sexuality without being blatant about it.  Leaving something to the imagination can be quite appealing if that's what you're trying to do.  But after a while fatigue sets in and it looks more like one is being non-committal about nudity and sexuality.  It's like a man claiming he wants to marry you but never following through on it.

As with most Western tales, gruesome violence is more tolerated than body acceptance.  The same folks who squirm in discomfort when I show pink parts being caressed will not bat an eye if I show them being beaten, burned, or sliced off.  Thus my earlier comment about Wendy not having a problem piercing an eyeball with a dagger, and your clarification that she shies away from privates.  This is not to say Wendy is a hypocrite, but that she conforms to the uniforms of the conservative culture we live in.  I am not a conservative.

What I like about this site is that it allows leeway for more graphic imagery, ala the Mature rating.  I look at the EQ world with a more primitive eye than most of my peers.  Mine is an anthropological perspective:  primitive peoples killed and shagged all the time as a matter of base survival.  After all, ya gotta kill to eat and sex does feel good.  

Tho I am more known (I believe unfairly) for my erotica, I love doing G/PG-rated work and have the most fun with preteen Hotspur and his various adventures.  But he doesn't live in an ivory tower.  His world isn't just posing on a rock, partying on the solstice or merrily chasing a fat buck with a pack of smiling friends.  His storyline has poisonous creatures ("That Cave & the Crystal Forest"), illness that a healer can't fix ("Three Blades"), animals on the brink of starvation that see him as meat ("The Bear"), and natural phenomenon that no sword or magic can stand against ("Wave Motion").  Make no mistake:  tho a kid, he is a savage living in a savage world and I will not shy away from portraying that.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 08:53:18 AM by Mouse »

Faerydae

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • ElfWitch.com
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 11:41:47 AM »

Sorry, wasn't trying to evoke a discussion, merely was explaining it as explicitly as possible for those that might still "be in doubt" as to what Wendy has or has not drawn.

Had absolutely nothing to do with your art in the least, nothing I've seen of yours has ever pushed any of my personal boundaries or been something I'd not drawn myself at one time or another. Although I myself won't go for the "pre-teen/teenager/toddler" angle in the US - but that is an entirely different discussion and one best not held in this thread, so I shan't tarry on that topic any further here.

Mostly because - I tend to think a rules post isn't really the best spot for discussions or debates, as it clouds up what is meant to be laid out clearly as "okay" vs. "not okay". Debating where the lines are drawn and the whys of it probably is best to do in their own discussion threads. Just the way I see it I guess.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:48:08 AM by Faerydae »
~Faerydae

(also known as Rainy)

AngelsEmbrace

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 12:23:18 PM »

Sorry, wasn't trying to evoke a discussion, merely was explaining it as explicitly as possible for those that might still "be in doubt" as to what Wendy has or has not drawn.

And I'm agreeing with you, stating as explicitly as possible that "if Wendy drew it, it's not mature" covers a lot of ground, and that said ground can be expounded upon in pieces bearing the "mature" designation.  I agree with using Wendy Pini's standard and practice as a yardstick for what does not need to be classified "mature," but recognizing that such a standard leaves a lot open for exploration.  I wasn't contradicting or debating the rule, I was listing examples of what are acceptable imagery.

Although I myself won't go for the "pre-teen/teenager/toddler" angle in the US - but that is an entirely different discussion and one best not held in this thread, so I shan't tarry on that topic any further here.

Why not?  Nothin' wrong with telling G/PG stories about a kid character, as I do.  And I doubt anybody here is going to channel Sally Mann and publish tons of full, underage nudity in the foreseeable future.

Mostly because - I tend to think a rules post isn't really the best spot for discussions or debates, as it clouds up what is meant to be laid out clearly as "okay" vs. "not okay". Debating where the lines are drawn and the whys of it probably is best to do in their own discussion threads. Just the way I see it I guess.

Point of order:  this thread isn't a rule per se, but an attempt to condense several rules.  For the most part, it's a good--if imperfect--summary.  But I understand what you mean.   8)

Faerydae

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • ElfWitch.com
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 02:54:10 PM »

Point of order:  this thread isn't a rule per se, but an attempt to condense several rules. 

Perhaps that is your opinion - but I would agree to disagree. As I have stated what mine was already ... no need to be repetitious lol.  ;)
~Faerydae

(also known as Rainy)

Songflower

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 10:13:56 PM »

:-)  Actually, Wendy *has* drawn at least one penis in the series (sort of).  Oh, yeah, I can think of a second one, too.

Anybody who knows whose and where these are wins a free trip to the W2M.

(I know this is a rules discussion and not a trivia thread, but the above is just to show another boundary area from the series, I guess.)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 10:17:18 PM by Songflower »

Songflower

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 10:18:46 PM »

Anyway.  I was in this thread in the first place because I don't know how to turn off my maturity filter...how is that done?  Thanks!

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 10:28:56 PM »

There's two things you need to change: 1) you need to give it a birthday that indicates you are older than 18 (under forum profile) and 2) you have to check the Show mature images box (under account settings).

jade_samuri

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 08:08:26 PM »

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am new here and I have a question.  I followed the instructions int he post above mine, but there is NOT a box on my account setting labeled 'Show Mature images'.  How would I enable that feature?

DestinysGift

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 08:24:59 PM »

Here is the topic for the correct information since our change:

http://www.elfquestfanart.com/index.php?topic=311.0

Hope this helps!
Pages: [1]   Go Up