Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Character Limit in Posts?  (Read 8394 times)

Multimedea

• Wolf
    • View Profile
Character Limit in Posts?
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:21:54 PM »

Does anyone know what the current character limit is inside individual posts? I looked at some of my fic post and they've been severely truncated (to like 1-2 paragraphs) and chopped up. Will I need to re-post them to correct that? Thanks!
The sorrow of the elves is that
The things they love must die...
(The Tree of swords and jewels waits for me)
Time withers all about them,
Yet the elves it passes by...
(When shall I hang my own upon the Tree?)

Startear

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: Character Limit in Posts?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 02:54:15 PM »

Mine was gone when I checked, but there when I edited the faults with this sign; " and apostrophes. Then it magically apeared again. Although, in the one I edited, it was only 730 words or so.
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Multimedea

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 03:37:10 PM »

I've tried to edit one of my posts, and the field was totally blank. I'm afraid to try to mess with it anymore, in case doing that wipes the entire thread. Do any of the Admins have an answer to this question?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:40:22 PM by Multimedea »

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 03:49:41 PM »

I suspect this is a casualty of the database migration, so though teeechnically I'm not an admin anymore, I probably stand the best chance of resolving this.  Is it all of your threads in the Gallery that have the problem, or just a few? I'll see if I can clean them up for you, and then post notes on what I did (assuming it wasn't a back-end hack, which hopefully I won't need).

Multimedea

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:04:57 PM »

I'm thinking it's just the story posts where I copy-pasted the info from another program. The ones where I just made comment posts seem to be fine. I noticed in some other writers' threads, some of their story post seem to be missing, too. But in others', they're not. :-\

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »

I changed "2 - The Trouble With Pery" in your story thread. It looks like it survived, though I have a backup of what it was before I made the change. Could you look it over and see if you can spot any glaring errors?  If that works OK, I'll clean up the others the same way.

Multimedea

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 05:05:21 PM »

I changed "2 - The Trouble With Pery" in your story thread. It looks like it survived, though I have a backup of what it was before I made the change. Could you look it over and see if you can spot any glaring errors?  If that works OK, I'll clean up the others the same way.

Thanks, Foxeye! Above and beyond the call of duty.

Except for the apostrophes turning into question marks and some missing punctuation, all the text looks like it's there. Tho I'll probably re-post anyway, 'cause it'd be easier than fixing all that stuff inside the posts.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 10:08:22 PM »

Aye, not surprised a few "?" squeaked through :) The app I used to clean it up turned all the special characters (which were previously single-quotes, double-quotes, and hyphens) into "?", which I then tried to re-convert using logic. I probably did miss a few :)

I modified the first post as well, but I'll let you just recopy for the rest. Unless you run into problems, in which case let me know...won't take me too much time to clean the rest, now that I have a rhythm down.
Pages: [1]   Go Up