Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding Galleries and Images  (Read 33649 times)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
Adding Galleries and Images
« on: March 29, 2009, 03:11:58 PM »

A quick how-to for creating a Gallery and adding images to it.

First, you can find the page for adding a gallery here:

]http://www.elfquestfanart.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=678[/img

Most of the options that you set when you create the gallery can be edited later, but these two I've circled cannot be. Be careful to choose the location of your gallery carefully!

]http://www.elfquestfanart.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=680[/img

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
Re: Adding Galleries and Images
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:50:49 AM »

What does the before/after option do? Is it meant to determine the order in which the folders appear in a gallery? How do I use it? Is it related to the target option, 'cause I don't understand that one either. :o

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 12:03:34 PM »

Yep, exact, it determines the order in which your galleries are listed. And "child of" will nest the folder inside another one.  So if I had a gallery "Color Art" and I wanted to add a new gallery "Black and White" before it, I'd choose "before" from Position and "Color Art" from Target.  If I wanted to create a folder "Canon Elves" as a subgallery of Color Art, I'd choose "child of" and "Color Art".

Tynami

• Zwoot
  • Nutty SeaElf
    • View Profile
    • Kat's Legends Dollhouse
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:07:08 AM »

I wasn't sure how where to post this exactly, but how do you delete a gallery folder. I made an extra one by mistake.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 08:14:27 AM »

Sorry for the late reply...been away. Unfortunately I don't think you can in this version of the gallery. Just send me a PM of what you want deleted and I'll be happy to it for you. :)

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 08:44:36 PM »

I'm stumped!  How do you set an icon for your top-level folder in the Members Galleries?  I used to have an icon set for that, but I think it got lost when the whole place was upgraded. (The two icons I use for the subfolders are still visible.)  I see others have managed it, but for the life of me, I can't figure out where to do it...

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 09:17:28 PM »

It's a bug. :( The forum update I did a while back whacked some of the album icons, with no rhyme or reason to which ones it whacks. It frustrates me, but not enough to roll back all the improvements the update provided.  I haven't given up completely, but it's just been pushed down my priority list the past few crazy months.

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 10:00:42 PM »

Ah, so there isn't actually a way to SET it?  (Or, say, change it once it's set? Which is the thing I find surprising, I guess.)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 11:25:58 PM »

Oh! Sorry, I just got off a plane and my brain wasn't all quite there.

That icon is borrowed from one of your album icons, specifically the newest top-level album.  So in the sense that you can set that album's icon, then yes, you have some control. But of course I know that is limiting.

Why it works like that is a bit of a long saga that I won't bore you with unless you enjoy hearing people ramble on about scripting/coding. :P

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 08:53:41 AM »

Oh! Well, actually, that makes sense, as I made a newer album but didn't set an icon for it, so it has the little folder thing too.  I wonder if I can change what the "top level" album is, and thereby fix it?  Hmm.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 10:59:01 AM »

I suppose you could  add one new album and nest all your existing albums within that.  Fortunately nested folders still show up on the Summary page for your list of albums.

From the looks of things, it appears that re-ordering the depth of your albums is not an option that they give users, but it *is* something I can do in the admin section of these forums. So if you decide to go that route, send me a PM and I'll be happy to nest folders for you.

Saree

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 12:48:45 AM »

Hello,

I tried to add a new album, but everytime following error occured:

This album's directory couldn't be properly created, please make sure mgal_data and mgal_data/albums are chmodded to 0777

What did I do wrong?? And what actually does it mean?   :-\

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 09:42:58 AM »

That's not your fault, I'm fairly sure. Our webhost migrated our server this weekend, and there may have been a problem with directory permissions. I'll investigate. :)

When did you first notice this problem? And are you creating an album that is a subdirectory of your existing album, or another "top level" album?

Saree

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 10:02:43 AM »

I tried shortly before I wrote the message. And it was supposed to be an album on the same level as the one already existing.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 10:08:38 AM »

OK, the timing matches then :)  I'm not quite sure *how* they managed to break this, as the permissions appear to be correct, but hopefully a solution short of reinstalling the whole site can be found!

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 02:19:08 PM »

Alrighty, you should be able to create albums again.

All backpats and donations of cookies go to Iri, who sacrificed his lunch hour to clean up their poorly-configured mess.

Saree

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 09:02:03 AM »

*handing out virtual cookies to Iri*

... and Foxeye ;)

Deathwing

• Treewee
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Site
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 05:52:22 AM »

Somehow, I can't add a pic to my gallery. it gives me this error:

Zero-Sized Reply
The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.elfquestfanart.com.alias/index.php?

The web server did not return any data for this request. This typically indicates a bug with the site programming causing the server to abort the request without sending any data in response.

If this message persists, please contact the site operator for assistance. If you are the site operator, please review the relevant FAQ entry for possible causes and solutions.

What happended? It was all fine yesterday ;_;

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 08:34:29 AM »

That is a known issue. :( That happens when the description field is a certain length. We've never been able to determine why that happens.

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 10:54:37 AM »

When that happens, I always wind up gradually cutting down on the size of the description that I post with the pic, until it accepts it.  And then if I still have things I want to say about the piece, I add one or two comments for them.  (Since I have also gotten that message due to comment length, too.)

Deathwing

• Treewee
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Site
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 12:32:55 PM »

Somehow, the thumbnail fundtion doesnt work properly for me :/
tried to upload the pic again, but it still doesnt show tha thumnail or the pic in small o.o

Razzle

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 10:23:14 PM »

*sigh* I feel incredibly stupid... I'm SURE I saw an "upload an image" link somewhere on this site. Now that I've got an account, of course, I can't find it. =P Now I've got an empty album! Is this because there's some kind of approval waiting-period for new members/albums, or am I just not finding the right place to upload my actual art? I've got an icon for it, just can't upload anything else.

Oh, and by the way, HI everyone! *waves*

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 10:39:40 PM »

Argh, I really need to update these images!

Inside your album, there should be a "Add an item to this album" link, towards the top left. And no, there is no waiting period for new members. :)

And welcome! :D

Razzle

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 10:44:54 PM »

It just says "Edit" and "Mark all as seen"

And thanks! :D

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 01:27:16 AM »

That sounds like a bug in the software, if those are the only options you see. I'll try running some tests tomorrow, see if I can at least reproduce the problem you are seeing!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up