Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2023 Fan Art Calendar - Theme Chit Chat  (Read 2364 times)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
2023 Fan Art Calendar - Theme Chit Chat
« on: January 05, 2022, 05:54:23 PM »

I realized when I was putting the 2022 calendar on the site that the fan calendar is 20 years old (this year) and that the 2023 calendar will be my 10th year organizing (I took over in 2013). I think we need to do something special to commemorate 21 years of fan calendars.

Any suggestions?

Not really looking for theme ideas I think we have enough of those we can go to (unless you have a brilliant one, then please post). Trying to find a way to make the calendar a little special this time. Ideas on how to go about doing that are most welcome.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 10:08:37 AM by Maggie »

jaRf

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 Fan Art Calendar - Theme Chit Chat
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 04:23:09 AM »

Maybe have a glance at yet undone topics.

+ suggestion elves and art / elves doing artwork

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 10:03:46 AM »

I mentioned voting for the next topic using the ones we haven't used yet in the calendar participant thread and intended to put up the poll this weekend.

What I meant was less about choosing a theme but more about trying to make the calendar a little special this time and was asking if anyone had any ideas with regards to that.  ;D I realize that was probably not as clear as I wanted since I put theme chit-chat in the thread title.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 10:07:14 AM by Maggie »

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 02:00:10 PM »

Well, but I wonder if there are possibilities of making things "special" aside the shee art content. I mean, zazzle, redbubble and whatnot are simply print (your logo) on demand services with a standard palette of items where you can print upon (cups, T-shirts, breadboxes, cushion sleeves and calendars). But I guess at least in that area isn't too much room for custom styles and decoration.
Well, and I doubt people would buy 12+1 cups with different calendar art for their cupboards. :) Besides, the artwork would come out rather small on cups.

Of course, one could celebrate, somehow. Though we also might wait for a multiple of 8 yers for this to happen (EQ elves at least seem to count in eights). ;)

A double feature calendar (24+1) would require a lot of contributions, that's a bit insecure to plan in advance.
Umm, I guess I am lacking creativity when it comes to other ideas of making it "special".
I guess we have most influence in terms of art/topic contents, for the material item is limited by the printing services palette of offers.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 04:02:01 AM »

It's been ten year! :shock Congratulations, Maggie! Thanks for hanging in there.
It would be nice to make it something special.
I am liking the idea of majing it sort of a double-feature, like jaRF suggested, like an alternative version for every month. But I agree that it would probably be difficult to get all that art... 24 submissions sadly doesn't seem realistic.
The other thought that came to me was a continuation of "Greatest Moments". The official EQ calendar ended with the Original Quest, so there could be many new moments to add until the end of Final Quest.

Yavia

• Tuftear
  • Master of Comedic Arts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 05:03:26 AM »

Something special on a product you buyer can choose how it will be printed I find rather difficult. It must been in the images of calendar.

So I am known for not doable and stupid ideas here are some:

I do like the idea with greatest moments.
It says on the cover: "The moments that define an epic" and the images inside are kinda sorted in order they happen in OQ. I could imagine to make a similar one for Blue Mountain and Broken Wheel, with no OQ or later editions in it. Like continuing the concept for the next quest. - but it will be very limeted. Adding that we can't choose a theme for the calendar, have to choose one great moment for every participant to make a nice timeline or better said not make a moment kinda twice and it must be most colorfull as ever  (the greatest moments calendar is so extrem colored I go blind)
The planing will be special, but I don't know if anyone would have fun making it. I do BTW
To add any new moments from everything but OQ is much more doable. We do have a few calendars where there isn't a OQ in it and I don't know if it is recognizable enough that leaving it out is on purpose.

I do like the idea that the calendar is kinda planed. Like everyone use a specific color in his contribution (one of many). Or a specific animal somewhere in the back - it could be difficult for Zwoots don't live in the snow and I don't think I could draw such cute lizard. A bucket or hat with feathers somewhere in the back - we could discuse what it will be of course. Or the number ten/twenty somewhere hidden or in the open. Or just set everything in morning or evening light.
To do not only a theme but also the art or setting is a little bit like it belongs together.

For the celebration part I could imagine that there could be Dreamberrys in the picture - and they are growing nearly everywhere Pike has been. They could just be in the picture or the theme of the picture.

I know - it's a lot, but maybe someone could use parts of my ideas and make good new ones out of it.
I'm not conceited with my title - it's just how it is  ;D

Saree

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 07:39:05 AM »

I do like the idea that the calendar is kinda planed. Like everyone use a specific color in his contribution (one of many). Or a specific animal somewhere in the back - it could be difficult for Zwoots don't live in the snow and I don't think I could draw such cute lizard. A bucket or hat with feathers somewhere in the back - we could discuse what it will be of course. Or the number ten/twenty somewhere hidden or in the open. Or just set everything in morning or evening light.
To do not only a theme but also the art or setting is a little bit like it belongs together.

For the celebration part I could imagine that there could be Dreamberrys in the picture - and they are growing nearly everywhere Pike has been. They could just be in the picture or the theme of the picture.

I really like this idea of adding a tiny extra challenge to the overall calendar theme/topic.  :)

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 06:19:26 AM »

Yavia's colour idea is very appealing to me!

Alternatively, a few years ago we did a collaboration piece - doing something like that would be interesting! But of course, that would require us to know who's participating up front and everyone would have to be on board with it (and adhere to deadlines) so it may be tricky

Greatest Moments would also be fun. Cue the discussion about what constitutes the greatest moments :lol It would be easier to plan than the above though.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 04:13:24 PM »

Playing off of what Yavia suggested...

I was thinking maybe each image could feature 21 of something that the viewer can seek out, like a fun little game. If you used Pike you could hide 21 dreamberries in the scene. 21 stitches on something Moonshine is sewing. A simple way to give a shout-out to 21 years of EQ fandom in calendar form.

I also thought it might be nice to let each person that signed up decide on their own theme so 12 different themes in one calendar. Now that's a celebration.

Hyakurin

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 03:37:35 PM »

You all are coming up with some really great ideas! I'm looking forward to whatever the theme is.

Yavia

• Tuftear
  • Master of Comedic Arts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 08:15:06 AM »

Oh, the 21 of something in the picture I like a lot! Thank you for making this out of my idea!
The color idea can be made here also.
And to let each person choose their own theme is very good. First of all you can be more motivated to participate. And second it feels like a celebration indeed.

That brings me an new idea: celebration could be a fitting theme over all. The elves do have festivals, not enough for 12 entries I think, but something joyfull and happy happend everytime. It could be combined with the greatest moments idea (of the original calendar) and there could be happy moments out of the years after OQ.
But just only a suggestion if someone needs a theme.

If there could be chosen individually, could it be possible to pick a theme that was allready picked before? Because we had a celebration theme before I remember slightly...
I'm not conceited with my title - it's just how it is  ;D

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 12:31:19 PM »

I like a free choice of theme as well as celebration as a theme. Hiding 20 pieces of something in the picture sounds fun! I guess it would be a little bit of a challenge, I would love it.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 12:56:12 PM »

Is there some envisaged date for topic finding or a resolution of the setting / extras / special-about-it regarding for the next calendar?
Asking for a friend ^^

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 08:43:32 AM »

I'm going to post the rules/details for the next installment of the calendar on March 1st, so if anyone wants to post anything else with regards to themes or ideas please do it between now and then.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up