Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2022 EQ Fan Art Calendar Guidelines  (Read 3998 times)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
2022 EQ Fan Art Calendar Guidelines
« on: April 21, 2021, 03:48:09 PM »

The theme for the 2022 EQ Fan Art Calendar is: HOMES OF ELFQUEST

**You may use characters from the original quest to the final quest but you must do your best not to totally spoil things for those who have not yet read the most recent installment of the series**
**Please keep in mind the main focus of this theme is not the characters but rather the setting they are in**

Submissions for the 2022 Calendar are being accepted:
May 31st, 2021 through September 30th, 2021
Extension Deadline: November 1st, 2021

THEME

Submitted artwork should represent the theme "Homes of Elfquest"

• The Holt - Wolfriders
• Blue Mountain - Gliders
• Caves - Trolls
• Forbidden Grove - Preservers
• Sorrow’s End - Sun Folk
• The Frozen Mountains - Go-Backs
• The Ocean - Wavedancers
• Palace of the High Ones - High Ones/Various
• Abode - Future Folk
• World of Two Moons - Humans/Various

A secret thread will be created for participants to discuss submission ideas and characters so we can keep things varied for the calendar.

The number of submissions required: 11

DETAILS

• If you would like to participate this year please PM me via the site (Maggie) to let me know you will be submitting something for the 2022 calendar. Please don't give any details about your submission at this time, just let me know that you want to participate. Once your PM is received I will change your primary member group so you can access the secret fan calendar thread and also send a link to the AnonDraw room that has been set up for calendar participants.

Please copy and paste the following into the PM being sent to Maggie with all fields filled in:

Your Name:
EQFA User Name:
Artist Credit (Real or User only):
Email Address:

• Once you have your new primary member group tag please access the thread 'Fan Calendar Hideout' under the Elfquest section of the message boards. There you can give a brief description of your concept as well as a list of all the characters you plan to use and which ones are the main focus. Please be open to discussion, as it may take a bit of back and forth to keep the calendar varied. Also, remember the main focus is the character's home, not necessarily the character itself.

• You will be asked to update Maggie and the rest of the participants via the secret thread in July with your progress. This will help to determine if we have enough entries for the calendar and will let everyone know if used characters are now available. If at any time you feel you cannot continue just send a message, there won’t be any hard feelings.

• Please keep in mind that you have just over 4 months to get your submission ready. If there is no response to the request for the progress in July I will have to assume you are no longer participating and I will have no choice but to find a replacement artist. Communication is key, so please keep in touch.

• You may submit up to three entries for the calendar but before you contemplate that second or third entry you must first finish and submit one entry to Maggie.

GROUPS

• You may work in groups of two if that makes things easier for you. Please let me know who you will be working with when you sign up.

• How you work in your group is totally up to you. One of you may supply a sketch for the other to ink and colour or you may work together to complete the scene. It doesn’t matter so long as you both agree.

CONTENT

• Entries must be original artwork created specifically for the calendar. The use of photos or "borrowed" art for backgrounds is not allowed.

• Entries must not be available for the general public to view online until the okay is given for general sharing. Before then, any entries found online in any form (thumbnails, crops, etc.) will be disqualified and removed. With the exception of the AnonDraw room, which will be private for calendar participants to assist each other with their submissions. Please do not give the link to the AnonDraw room out to anyone.

• Canon Elfquest characters (of any race) only. No what-if characters (i.e., Worldpool).

• PG-13 or under.

FORMAT

**Please make sure your submissions are the correct size. Any submissions that are not 3300x2550 pixels or 11 x 8.5 inches at 300dpi will not be accepted**

• All entries should be in full colour, with a full background. No font please (this does not include your signature or mark used to sign your work).

• Size: 11"x 8.5" (pictures must be landscape oriented - wider than they are tall)

• Resolution: 3300 x 2550 pixels (11" x 8.5" at 300dpi)

• File format: JPEG/PNG format only

HOW TO SUBMIT

• When you are ready please email your full-sized entry to Maggie. Please PM Maggie when you have an entry ready to be submitted.

• Entries should be received by midnight CST, September 30th, 2021. For those that need an extension a second deadline of November 1st, 2021 is available. This second deadline is firm and there will be no further extensions.

Include the following:

• Your submission as an attachment not embedded into an email.

• Title of your submission. Titles will be included on the calendar.

CREDIT

• The artist's credit will be used for credits on the calendar/website.

PUBLISHING

• The eleven winners will be chosen by a panel of judges (if more than 11 entries are submitted).

• The finished calendar will be available for download at elfquestfanart.com. In addition, the calendar may be published and available for purchase.

QUESTIONS

• Any questions about the calendar may be asked and answered on this thread or PM Maggie.

• Don't know what this is all about, check out the current and past Fan Art Calendars here: http://www.elfquestfanart.com/index.php?action=fanartcalendar

Yavia

• Tuftear
  • Master of Comedic Arts
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 EQ Fan Art Calendar Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 03:39:16 PM »

Is it possible to get an info which homes are allready taken?
Or how many participants are on board?
Must the home be seen as a whole or is a part of their homes like a room or something possible?
Could it be parts of the homes in one picture with panels or other lines to separate them from each other?
Is it a little bit like the theme tribes? To me it seemed very similar.

The private chat is nice, but not so informative for the ones who don't know what to do with the theme. I don't want to sign up just to realise that's no theme for me.
I'm not conceited with my title - it's just how it is  ;D

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 09:49:31 AM »

Yavia, I will PM you with the information, as I would prefer not to say who's chosen what out in the open.  ;)

Hyakurin

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 02:59:28 PM »

Hi I’m not seeing the fan art calendar chat. Is there any way I can get approved to see it so I can participate? Thanks!

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 11:06:19 AM »

Hey!

You need to PM me to let me know you'd like to participate, then I'll add you to the hideout. ;)

Please copy and paste the following into the PM being sent to me with all fields filled in:

Your Name:
EQFA User Name:
Artist Credit (Real or User only):
Email Address:

Hyakurin

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 04:39:30 PM »

I could have swore I messaged before but I just sent another! Thanks!

Yavia

• Tuftear
  • Master of Comedic Arts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 05:08:17 AM »

Hi there,

since the talk about the calendar is in a private chat, there are no news for the rest of the fans. The extension deadline has past, will there be a calendar this year?
I'm not conceited with my title - it's just how it is  ;D

Treefox

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 03:34:35 AM »

Yes, there will be! We have some very prolific members. Am looking forward to it very much. :love

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 05:09:40 PM »

The calendar should be up sometime tomorrow, or Jan 1st if I run into any issues with uploads etc.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 11:21:41 AM »

Wow, Maggie! Year after year you make me really happy with this calendar! Thank you again for all your hard work. One more year that really astonishes me with what people do with the topic. Sooo great to see so many styles and approaches. Thanks for keeping this site alive. :hug
And I ordered the calendar from Zazzle without hassle.  8)

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 11:15:02 PM »

Currently there is a sale with 50% off, so one could e.g. think of ordering two calendars, one as a gift. Code ZNEWYEAR2022
It's nice that you can configure the details, thus, the calendar could start next year or later, too.
Shipment prices are okay, too.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 07:46:44 AM »

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 05:47:43 PM »

Thanks for posting Treefox.

I just received an email from Richard Pini thanking me for organizing the calendar each year, he said that the calendar is a gift. So I think we should all be proud of our work on it. ;)

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 07:28:03 AM »

Just received my two calendars today, so it's roughly 14d production + shipment. State was okay, corners slightly dent, and - as so often - no bell rang, driver fored it into my post box (so it would stick out and everyone could've taken it). But at least it's here, so far it seems fine, aside the corners. Even localized calendar part and with the date/year I specified.
Print quality seems fairly good, considering that there usually is the transition from RGB to CMYK. It's a bit small compared to earlier calendars, and it seems to me that a few images are slightly softened, not entirely sharp and crisp, but that might just be me bitching on a high level.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 03:54:36 PM »

Question, does the title/artist credit have the calendar coil going through them on yours? I got mine a couple of days ago and noticed that right away. I double-checked the preview of the calendar on Zazzle and nothing is cut off on that.

I did the calendar the same as the previous year and the names were not embedded in the coil. I'm hoping it's just my copy.

This calendar is exactly the same size as last year (not sure if you bought a copy). This and last year are the only two this size from Zazzle, other years were produced on other sites. And the 2020 one was the small portrait style (but was also from Zazzle).

Don't forget you can always bitch to Zazzle, they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 04:05:17 PM by Maggie »

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 02:40:38 PM »

Indeed. On the upside there's a little hole to hang it up, just barely outside the image, and towards the bottom the coir goes through the credit line, occasionally even through the image (lower rim). Truly this is a bit "meh" as they say nowadays. It's not totally the same on the 2 exemplars, e.g. January (Christoph's image): the hole for the nail has the same offset, but the beige/grey (hardly visible) passe-partout has a slightly different offset as it seems and once the coil (square holes) puncture(s) the credit line and maybe 2 pixels of the image, the other one lost more pixels of the very image, e.g. a HighOne's knee (the one right to Haken?) is punctures up to his knee.
I assume this beige-grey passe-partout is their kind of stencil? So they might have messed up in the placement/offset from the top of paper. Plus scaling, since the credit line likely was still in the rendered bitmap image, I guess.
Indeed. That ain't good since readability is severly impaired by this.

Hyakurin

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 03:51:24 PM »

I ordered mine today!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2022, 12:26:49 PM »

Same here with the coil! Still am very happy with the overall quality.
The colors and details come through nicely. It's hanging at my homeoffice workplace, so I can enjoy it every day.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 12:53:57 PM »

If you received a faulty calendar you can write to Zazzle's support. I also told them about the problem (incl. illustrating imagery), in hope they can find the cause and fix it. And they offered me to send new exemplars.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2022, 08:46:17 AM »

Yes, the customer service is pretty good at Zazzle. I think for the next calendar I'm going to put the titles/credits on the back cover, just so this kind of thing can't happen. It's 100% Zazzles fault, I'm not sure how they managed it, as the items are sent through quality control before they get put on the marketplace for sale.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2022, 04:34:39 PM »

I wanted to share the review Richard left for the fan calendar...

Image from Gyazo" width="1151

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2022, 07:35:36 AM »

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2022, 11:35:51 AM »

Oh wow, that is sooo great and deeply motivating.
Pages: [1]   Go Up