Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EQ inspired MerMay anyone?  (Read 3318 times)

Saree

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Wolf
    • View Profile
EQ inspired MerMay anyone?
« on: April 15, 2021, 12:52:51 PM »

I was thinking about participating in MerMay this year. I miss creating characters and illustrating their lives. So I thought this artistic event could spark the muse. And it can be combined with EQ! Bless the sea elves! 

The prompt list can be found at mermay.com. 31 prompts, one for each day in May.

I'm not planning to do all 31 prompts or draw dayly. I'd be happy if I'd manage 5-7. Thats my goal. And it would be great to have others join, so we can support each other and cheer each other on.  :)

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
Re: EQ inspired MerMay anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 05:59:37 AM »

No daily challenges for me any time soon, but perhaps we could give it our own twist? Draw yourself as an Elfquest sea-elf. With or without tail. ;) Just what you feel fits you! As a character design, or with a full background interacting with your favourite sea creature.

Something like that I'd be able to manage. ;D

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 11:14:19 AM »

There have been some MerMay contenders in the past years. :) always great results!
I could not do a daily challenge, but I'd love to take part with at least one Pic.

Saree

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 11:46:59 AM »

Great idea, Afke! I might give it a go, too.  ;D

And Treefox, great that you also want to join. Yaay!

Yeee

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 01:33:02 PM »

Hi Saree,
your call was heard and told to me. So I swam off quickly to answer you:
I've been doing Mermay in Deviant Art for 2 years. I didn't even know that there was an entire website on this subject. I would also like to join you and take part in the Elfquest Mermay.
I will certainly not be able to make a contribution every day.

" Bless the sea elves! "

You say it! Mer elves are cool!
... and please excuse all weird translations from google translate  :lol

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 06:31:02 AM »

That's a great idea! I'll try and do a few of the prompts, some of them are very appealing

Yeee

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 10:08:45 AM »

Hi merfolks,
there are some questions I have concerning this wacom mermay since I  am no native english speaker, there are some details of the rules, I am uncertain of:

" (none of the art can be reused or based off of other’s artwork)"
non can be reused means?
1. we may not use our elder pictures (from last year , or drawn before this contest and published somewhere else)?
or
2. (and this is what would make me not participating...) We may not reuse our mermay21 Contributions in future- meaning they belong to Wacom and/or Bancroft the moment we participate!?! (No chance, my OC`s are dear to me and belong to none other than me) - The question then arises as to how fanart (in general) is dealt with, the content of which belongs to someone (W and R Pini) completely different. ???

"or based off of other’s artwork"
hm, wether this means, don`T copy/paste by drawing from others or don` t make Fanart (point 2)?  That would mean "not possible! ”For a picture with a Reef or a fish tailed Cutter and therefore the contest  is nothing for us.

Next thing:
" MOST IMPORTANTLY, you MUST use the hashtags: #MadeWithWacom #MerMay and #WacomMerMay2021 in your post captions for each piece submitted to qualify for this contest."
ahem...er...I am working with  traditional hand tools  (pencils,pens, seldomly water colors )  , nothing with computer, I have only a scanner , so my stuff is absolutely not made with Wacom or any other computer stuff!
..But elsewhere it is said that traditional art can also be used,  so I assume that it will work after all, it's just a funny slogan that you have to endure under your picture. lol

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 11:29:10 AM »

If Wacom is holding a Mermay related contest, then they can set their own rules for that.

For Mermay itself however, there are no rules (just in general that it happens in May and is about (fantasy) creatures of the sea). You're not even obligated to use their prompts. You don't have to participate in the contest, just ignore it and do your own thing, the way you did last year.

What is your first language? There are many here for whom English is second. Perhaps we could help out if you need more explanation in your native tongue.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 11:33:37 AM by Afke »

Saree

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 12:01:46 PM »

Apologies for the confusion, Yeee. I just added the website of the official MerMay because i wanted to follow their prompt list (one prompt for each day). I/we do not care about any prices from wacom.  Many artists at social media follow prompt list for mermay. There are LOTS out there on Instagram, for example.
But as Afke pointed out, do whatever you feel like. Post any kind of mermay related art here at Elfquestfanart and post it anywhere else you want. No strings attached.

By the way, I also only use traditional art tools, mainly water colors.  :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 12:05:23 PM by Saree »

Yeee

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 12:27:42 PM »

"I just added the website of the official MerMay because i wanted to follow their prompt list"

me too, I would like to participate in this contest (even if I stand no chance to win any computer stuff which wouldn`t work on my primitive desktop anyway, lol) and follow the prompt list, I simply would like to have the one question answered (if anybody of you can tell me ) , if our entrys will become the property of this contests maker (Wacom/Bankroft). I have not seen any e-mail otherwise I would have asked them. (I am no computer/smartphone -internet genius)

"What is your first language?"
 German

Yeee

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 01:08:43 AM »

Hey guys,
I asked Mr. Bancroft and he answered me:

"Oh no, this artwork will always be your property.  I or Wacom will NOT own your artwork.  We just want it to be your artwork (not someone else's) and it is original for this year, not from a past year's MerMay.  I hope this helps.  -Tom B.  "

So, everyone,  join in and have fun!  :D

Saree

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 12:19:41 PM »

Thanks for the clarification, Yeee!

Yeee

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 12:51:10 PM »

you are welcome  :D

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 11:02:27 AM »

Wonderful! I already got an idea!
@Yee Hier gibt es ein paar deutschsprachige Mitglieder, wenn du Fragen hast oder etwas unklar sein sollte, einfach melden. :)

Yeee

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 12:07:46 PM »

YAY! Noch mehr von uns hier! COOL!  ;D

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2021, 10:49:23 AM »

Where did May go??  :o :-[
Sorry peeps, I had other things on my mind.

Yeee

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2021, 02:24:56 AM »

oh yes, time is running away(must be horrible english), but it is never too late to draw your own mermay picture (I`d like to see one of you), there must be seen something else here then just my flood of pics  ;D

Yeee

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2022, 08:01:53 AM »

The new Mermay contest starts. Lets make it Elfquesty and join it! You can find it on mermay.com , the new prompt list for every day in may can be found there already. I will participate and post all my saved new Merm-images which I drew since last years Mermay.
Anyone interested?
Pages: [1]   Go Up