Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Poll

Please choose your favourite theme for the 2021 EQFA calendar

Long Friendships
- 1 (7.1%)
Creatures of Elfquest
- 0 (0%)
Homes of EQ
- 0 (0%)
Landscapes
- 1 (7.1%)
Seasons
- 1 (7.1%)
Villains and Hero's
- 2 (14.3%)
Cliffhangers
- 0 (0%)
Lesser known characters
- 8 (57.1%)
Through the Comics
- 0 (0%)
Comedy
- 1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: May 02, 2020, 04:37:07 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 2021 Fan Art Calendar - Theme Chit Chat  (Read 19760 times)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
2021 Fan Art Calendar - Theme Chit Chat
« on: March 05, 2020, 10:19:45 AM »

Alright, I wanted to start chatting about next years calendar. We have discussed some new ways of dealing with time, loss of interest, collaboration etc. so I think we're good there (I will post the official guidelines soon) but I was wondering about the theme.

Do you all want to submit ideas and vote as usual or should the theme be something that is discussed and decided by those who are participating?

Let me know your thoughts.  :)

Snarkclaw

Re: 2021 Fan Art Calendar - Theme Chit Chat
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 11:08:03 AM »

I look forward to participating in the calendar, but am not great at thinking about themes.  :-\

Yeah, that was not remotely helpful.  Sorry.  :(

But yay that there shall be a 2021 calendar!  ;D

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 11:22:10 AM »

hmmmh, let me think.. I'd always love the theme of "creatures of Elfquest" but I bet Other would not be interested...

One I would like would be of the lesser known characters, ones that often don't get fanart made of them, but I think that might be too hard...

"Long friendships?" a calendar about the long friendships of some characters, there would of course be Cutter and Skywise, but that would also leave possibilities for more obscure characters, like Suntoucher and Toorah...

And if that is too sunny and dandy then "villains and enemies"!...

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 11:47:04 AM »

I like all of Berit's ideas, especially the less known characters. I had been thinking of a similar, "long friendships" theme myself. Though villains would be cool too!

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 12:46:45 PM »

I do like the creatures of EQ, they could of course have companions to make the calendar more appealing to some. I also like lesser knowns, in fact given the option I would probably never draw the most popular EQ characters.  ;D

Long Friendships is great too, although it would probably limit peoples imagination since the friendships that are the longest are also with the most popular characters. But if participants were willing to look beyond the norm then that would work.

Hero's and Villains would be cool. I was also thinking comedy as a theme could be quite amusing. We can all take a page out of Yavia's book.

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 05:18:25 AM »

I prefer a bit "abstract" themes so people can choose who to draw, or draw what they're most comfortable with. I like creatures, but I wonder if it may be too high of a threshold for some.
Haha, I like going for the non-popular characters too! There's still some I want to get into the calendar, though I often seem to fall back on trolls, just so there's some in there. ;D

I like comedy as well. It made me think of movie genres in general (not AU, I don't like that for the calendar), and the emotive portraits we've done earlier. We could combine it into something like "cliffhangers". DUN DUN DUUUUUUN. Where is the drama at its highest point? Or considering comedy; which is the point right before everyone bursts into laughter?

Yavia

• Tuftear
  • Master of Comedic Arts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 02:23:50 PM »

I was also thinking comedy as a theme could be quite amusing. We can all take a page out of Yavia's book.
* blush* I'm ashamed now to be a kind of example for the calendar idea ... But I have to admit that I like to be known as the one with the funny pictures. They work best for me if the theme isn`t funny, so It might work great with Hero - Villain. Are there enough Villains..?

Maybe I have a funny idea too. I toss in something total different. Not a theme but a style.

Elfquest through the comics - Draw Elfquest figures in another comic style/art.

For example: Draw the characters (free choice) in their original inviorment but like Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, Albert Uderzo, Hergé, Moebius or even Mangaka like Yoshitaka Amano, Rumiko Takahashi, Hayao Miyazaki or even Disney would do - oh, wait - could this be a copyrightproblem?
It might also be to difficult to fulfill and not loved because it's not original Elfquest Art but I absolutely love seeing Cutter with an "Asterix" nose or "Sailor Moon" Trolls  :lol

I'm not conceited with my title - it's just how it is  ;D

Wildfire

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 03:00:18 AM »

Elfquest through the comics - Draw Elfquest figures in another comic style/art.

This reminds me of the 2006 theme "Elfquest Through the Ages" which was an *amazing* theme, I'd love to do something similar again! Shifting styles is difficult though but it would be a fun challenge.

Straight up comedy isn't my favourite, but that's mostly cause I'm not terribly funny lmao.
I agree with Afke that the more abstract themes are great. Creatures would be interesting.

I'm personally still really fond of the "The Colours of EQ" and "The Landscapes of EQ (This will include characters interacting with the landscape)" from the 2019 poll :D

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 09:37:33 AM »

I prefer drawing in my own style, especially when it requires the amount of effort the calendar deserves.
It could indeed pose a copyright problem if we want to be able to sell the calendar as the previous ones. We have permission for the EQ traits, but not the others. This might be fun for another challenge album though.

Haven't checked older polls yet, but you're right, Wildfire; there's bound to be some gems in there. :)

Snarkclaw

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 01:09:35 PM »

"Creatures of ElfQuest" would be really cool, assuming that it is okay to include elves in the images with the non-elf creatures.  Otherwise, it might seem more like a cartoon zoo calendar.  (Which sounds cute to me, but maybe not to everyone.)  Just need to make sure that it doesn't turn into 12 months of Nightrunner and Starjumper!  ;)

"Comedy" strikes me as a potentially daunting theme.  Humor is often personal and very difficult to pull off... especially in a single image.  A good theme would allow individual creators to strive for comedic images, should they choose, but making comedy a theme might limit participation.

I have mixed feelings on the "Lesser Known Characters" theme... just on the question of who judges who is lesser known.  For example, Jink is "lesser known" to me, since I never read her series, but probably does not count as "lesser known" to many others.  To accomplish something like this, I think one would need a list of characters that could be included or a list of characters that must be excluded.  Still, I like the spirit of the idea:  featuring characters not normally in the spotlight is a fun concept.  As I said, mixed feelings.

The mentions of movies and of different art styles made me think of a theme that may not appeal, but I'll suggest it anyway:  ElfQuest crossovers.  Set ElfQuest characters in other pop-culture content, like movies or comics... maybe emulating movie posters or something.  (The idea needs a little hashing, especially since there is the question of copyright.)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 01:58:59 PM by Snarkclaw »

Yavia

• Tuftear
  • Master of Comedic Arts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 08:02:56 AM »

Creatures of Elfquest reminds me a little bit of the bonded theme. There may be lots of creatures, but the most I remember was the once that play a role in Elfquest like the boar Rayek kills or the herds or bonded animals of the elves. Or the sweet Maki/lemur sitting in the rain while Cutter and Skywise waiting for it to stop in a tree hole. There has been some cats as a pet. TL;DR I have no idea what animal to draw that's not a wolf, Elk, Hawk or Zwoot. With it's elffriend beside.

As for comedy it is individual. A friend of mine never understands the kind of humor I come up with. Also as Snakclaw says it is difficult to pull off. If I've been "forced" <- too strong word, I hope you understand what I mean - to draw comedy it is possible I have not a single idea even if anything goes.

Lesser known characters can be tricky to pinpoint. As I also don't know Jink, but I know she owns her own series she must been important. As for ShenShen she wasn't so important in the beginning but gets more spotlight later on. There will be some gardeners in Sorrows End or Rockshifters in the Blue Mountain off curse. But I don't think any wolfrider will make it into the calendar. A list could help there a lot I agree.
If it just was for the fanart there might be more possibilities but I don't know how to check how many fanart exists for someone. I do guess there might be lesser Fanart to Suntop than Ember.

Through the comics has a little connection to through the ages - that's right I see now and agree! Yeah, It was just a stupid idea, it come up with the little cameos from elves done by other artists in other media. And also the art to draw is more focused, not the theme. But I totally understand your reasons. To shift your own style is difficult. I tried to draw some and it is challenging to capture the style of another artist. Maybe I can call it out as a challenge here on Elfquestfanart? If you don't use characters or settings of the artists work there can't be a copyright problem for this site, can't it?
The movie posters as like "Star wars - a new hope"? Sounds very funny and really great for me but is non canon allowed for the calendar?

Colors of Elfquest sounds fun. For every place has his own Color Scheme. In my head I mix it with Landscapes of Elfquest a bit. Or even Homes of EQ Landscapes I love too.

Villains and Hero's sounds interesting. This interests me most in the moment. I would like to go with Winnowill but is she chosen than and can't be picked again?

I'm totally in for everything! I just like to ask can I get inspirations, ideas or talk over the ideas, character choices with others? Is is manageable in an extra threat, where only participants have access to? A chat where anyone could stat which character they only draw. There have been mentions about this issue in the last calendar threat IIRC? If someone only draws a certain character it's okay with me. I just like to know that I don't pic this one. Or just to keep on track if anyone has problems ending his/her project. To ask for help or just give up and let others know.
Don't know if that works because there will be a lot of spoilers...

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 01:41:14 AM »

Ooooh, so many great themes!
My current favorites are "Colors of Elfquest", "Landscapes of Elfquest" and "Villains and Heroes".

I really like the idea of drawing Elfquest in different comic styles, but I absolutely see problems with Copyrights there... still, we really should consider this for a site challenge!

And yes, Yavia, you are definitely a master of comedic arts! :love

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 09:28:34 AM »

I like all the ideas being tossed around but my original question was do you all want to submit ideas and vote as usual or should the theme be something that is discussed and decided by those who are participating?

Let me know if you have any thoughts on that as well.  ;)

Yavia

• Tuftear
  • Master of Comedic Arts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 04:29:19 PM »

It could be possible that not enough participants join if they don't know what the theme would be beforehand.
If we manage to gather 12 people (or how many we defiantly need) before we do have a theme there could also be the possibility that some of them don't like the decided theme and drop out.
If we leave it the way it was -discussion, vote- it can work fine because of the lesser time to finish or the exact opposite.

Difficult question...
I do think it's time for something new.

We could try to discuss the theme by those who like to participate.
Maybe we will find a better discussion if there are people who wants to draw and they come up with yes and no's till we find one theme that fits all..? In the tossed around ideas has been some agreements so far. In other words themes that are liked by more than one person are allready there.

I will try very hard to participate. Just wanna mention it.

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 11:53:57 AM »

I like all the ideas being tossed around but my original question was do you all want to submit ideas and vote as usual or should the theme be something that is discussed and decided by those who are participating?

Let me know if you have any thoughts on that as well.  ;)
I got completely sidetracked oops

I think having a discussion like above is good. It's easy to think that a topic will be great for everyone if it's not put to a discussion, and I rather like being able to narrow it down like that.
Looking back at some of the past polls, the 2019 has 7 options that got 1-2 votes and 50% of the themes in 2018 only got one vote each. Maybe it could be put to a vote at the end, but only between the top 3 themes that we've discussed and find agreeable? That way people who participate in the calendar but maybe doesn't want to participate in the discussion can still have a bit of a say

Jeb

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 12:46:00 PM »

I probably shouldn't post here as I don't participate in the calendar, but I had an idea so thought i'd throw it out there.

How about having a different theme every month, then at the end of the year having a "best of EQ fanart" calendar?

I guess that would be a problem that the entries wouldn't be a surprise?

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 01:01:03 PM »

I agree with Wildfire; too many themes put into a poll doesn't sound good and has often felt as a disappointment so far, but discussing more thoroughly first and then put a top 3 or even just the top 2 in sounds like everyone who wants to be involved gets more of a say.

Do we still want to keep it a secret from "the outside"? Could we make a secret forum here? Like the Sanctuary is? Because if we do we could discuss more detailed ideas (and characters), and it might help determine if everyone has enough ideas to work with a certain theme before the theme is definite.

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 01:40:15 PM »

I'd like it so that it's not a secret for the participants. At least, I feel it would help greatly with the creative process if you were able to discuss it with others and maybe share ideas. I also think that if someone ran into trouble (not enough time, art block, lack of ideas,...), they could get help easier too.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2020, 02:52:30 PM »

We can definitely make a section for participants (only) to discuss ideas further to the ones we're chatting about now. I was also thinking maybe we could have a participants only AnonDraw (if that is possible) to work sketches and ideas as well.

I do want to keep things secret as much as possible but feel that if the participants need somewhere to discuss etc. that should be provided.

Ok, chatting about ideas here and then making a poll with the top 2 or 3 themes makes sense. We'll go with that and then those who signup for the calendar can fine tune the theme together.

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 11:31:10 AM »

Having an Anondraw would be fabulous, that would help a ton I think, especially for the more abstract themes. Plus, getting feedback if you get stuck is always good.

Re: the themes, I thought I'd make a list of those that have been discussed already and add a few of the ones I thought was interesting from last years.

Long Friendships

Creatures of Elfquest

Comedy

Lesser known characters

Through the Comics

Movieposters

Cliffhangers

Colors of Elfquest

Landscapes

Homes of EQ

Villains and Hero's

Evolution

Seasons

Otherness

Personally I'm the most fond of Long Friendships, Creatures, Colors, Otherness, and Movieposters (which could be very cool, but it would deviate from the "canon only" setting [anyone remember the SoC ElfWest alternaverse? It was fantastic to see characters in Wild West getups!])
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 11:34:28 AM by Wildfire »

AceQuester

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2020, 05:04:32 AM »

Okay I missed this whole tread (again no notification received by mail :( ) but I am willing to participate. I love the theme comedy (f.e. like the short jokes Wendy made but do we have enough ideas for that) and maybe someting about chiefs and their loved ones? Not only the Wolfriders chiefs but all Chiefs (Savah, Surge, Kahvi, Dart during New Blood, Olbar, Petalwing, Greymung, Nightrunner etc.), elves, preservers, trolls, humans and animals alike.
Movieposter is also a challenging idea :)

I think voting by poll is great and when the members who want participate really have issues with the choosen theme, we can talk about it. But there are as many different opinions as there are particpants so we need to start somewhere.

This Covid-19 quarentine is a perfect time to start (when this is over most of us want to go outside and don't want to sit in a room inside drawing) so please don't wait too long. :D
Warm furs and good hunting... And remember it's a Beautiful Life!

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2020, 02:04:22 AM »

Yes, will there be a poll or something? This already is an impressive lot of possible topics.
On the other hand, I do not have spare time, no matter any crisis, there is no meeting with friends besides telecommunication solutions, but 120% workload at the job. Neat, isn't it? But in any way, the sooner something is chosen, the sooner people could start. (For my side I know I very likely wouldn't make it in short runs of 3 months to finish.)

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2020, 02:04:49 PM »

I agree that it would be good to get things rolling! I know that I will have a few other art projects to finish this year as well, so I'd like to start working on this too. A poll could help narrow down the themes.

AnonDraw for calendar participants sounds like a great idea! But I hope that someone else than me sets it up (it's free), because I already share my ink between two AnonDraw boards, and a third one would take up more. But it's not difficult at all! You don't even have to register to make one (I think), though you get more ink that way. (Don't ask me how ink in AnonDraw works, it's a mystery to me too!)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2020, 11:44:19 AM »

I think what I would like to do is have the participants from the last calendar take a look at Wildfire's compiled list of themes and post your top two to the thread. I'll take those responses and use them for a poll that everyone can vote in.

Oh but please skip the movie posters theme/any other theme that would infringe on copyrights. This calendar, like all the others will be printed and I don't want to have any issues with that when the time comes.

Also, I'm happy to start up an AnonDraw page for calendar participants once we've settled on a theme and the official guidelines have been posted to the site.

AceQuester

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2020, 12:18:21 PM »

Skip the Movieposter? Hmmm then I go for.... Comedy and... Lesser known characters (or cliffhangers?... though one).
Warm furs and good hunting... And remember it's a Beautiful Life!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up