Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 2020 EQ Fan Art Calendar Guidelines  (Read 29515 times)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 EQ Fan Art Calendar Guidelines
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2019, 09:11:56 AM »

News about the printed calendar!

Richard and Rob who have both been instrumental in making the printed calendar happen over the years are unfortunately just too busy to continue.

However Richard said if I am willing and able to take over that part myself they would love to see the calendars keep coming. He said that the work and the imagination they display are a real treat and to make sure he can order a couple of copies of each edition for the Warp archive! Which I thought was pretty special.  ;D

I am more than happy to add this job to my list of calendar duty's but it doesn't make much sense to create a storefront on a site that produces calendars if this is the last one. I can simply get a calendar made and send it to the Pini's as a last memento for the archives.

But I think after what I've been reading in this thread that most seem like they may want to continue the calendar if we can implement some of the ideas we've been tossing around and get a bit more outside interest. Is this a consensus? Or am I reading into things?

AceQuester

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2019, 02:21:44 PM »

No you are not (reading too much into it)! Would love to see more calendars in the future. 😁
Warm furs and good hunting... And remember it's a Beautiful Life!

jaRf

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2019, 07:00:59 AM »

My biggest mountain honestly has been the character claiming. I understand why it was set in place, but in my opinion it is done too soon. Look at the long list of claimed characters for this year, and how few actually managed to make their picture in time. When a theme is chosen the way my brain works it looks for an original idea first that makes a great match with that, and it doesn't matter what characters it involves. Then when the idea is there, and the main character is already claimed, I have to restart this process, but in a disappointed mood which kills my inspiration.

This.
Sometimes having an idea that is bearable takes a long time.
I don't have a great solution, though.

> Or the claiming can't be done until you've shown Maggie at least a decent sketch.

That sounds good basically, though at least I'd need (depending on workload) quite a lot of time and image development stretches over the year.

> Like said there are a number of places we can go, but I can understand if people don't want to sign up for some places, like Facebook; though the groups do offer a private setting so you know exactly who
> can read it.

It's not the people "hanging out" at FB or other (anti)social media (okay, sometimes it probably is the very people), it's FB/google's business politics, their severe lack of data reduction and data economy. I like this place since it offers a forum and a gallery at the same time. It doesn't come with tons of JavaScript and advertisements.
On the other hand, yes, it needs maintenance and hosting to be paid.

> On to the promoting part; we can all chip in on that, on whatever platform we are. I'm sure we can come up with a nice text that we can all copy/paste to spread the word. There is indeed not one place you
> can reach all, everyone has their fave new places to hang out nowadays.

Ah, back in the days (of glory) there were mailing lists one could subscribe to...
But yes, everyone can try to spread the word. Though it would've been easier with some central spot where people come by occasionally to gather news and information.

> I like the idea of shortening the timeline as well, because it's true; it's a long time to wait to showcase your work online, when you already finish in April.

Did anybody ever finish so soon?

> my focus tends to be better when I actually finish one project at a time.

Luxury! ;)
It would be nice to have a dedicated time for it, but I hardly ever had that yet. Thus I have to spread it over weekends and occasional holidays and some evenings. But there are also other interests or necessities competing for my attention.

I'd definitely want the calendar to continue. It's one fairly steady thing for ... roughly 20 years? It was something that brought me back to do artwork. And it is something that still show some life and connection within the EQ "community".

Quote from: Maggie
Richard and Rob who have both been instrumental in making the printed calendar happen over the years are unfortunately just too busy to continue.
However Richard said if I am willing and able to take over that part myself they would love to see the calendars keep coming. He said that the work and the imagination they display are a real treat and to
make sure he can order a couple of copies of each edition for the Warp archive! Which I thought was pretty special. 

Well, the pure printing shouldn't be much of a problem. First off things end up in digital form. So someone able to make a CMYK PDF from it could create the very PDF file and that can be printed around the world. In my town you have copy/print shops "every second corner" (okay, that's exaggerated) and several real print services which all offer all sorts of megaposters, banners, textile printing, business cards and whatnot.
The thing is - how to distribute those? Hardly any of them offers this worldwide end-user business connections including a shop and handling communications and shipment + customs declaration. That were the benefits of cafepress, redbubble and the likes.

Do we have any numbers? But I guess it is more than 50 units - and in this range of numbers it's probably too much for a normal person to handle all that in their spare time.

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2019, 08:44:47 AM »

Luxury! ;)
It would be nice to have a dedicated time for it, but I hardly ever had that yet. Thus I have to spread it over weekends and occasional holidays and some evenings. But there are also other interests or necessities competing for my attention.

There's nothing luxurious about it. It is something I found out about myself after years and years of being surrounded by tons of unfinished projects.
I too only have weekends and vacation days to work on hobbies. I will have to tell myself to only start a new project if I can finish it without starting yet another one somewhere in between. It's hard work, but that's basically what I meant with my focus.

I took all of October for one big project, but it worked, it is done now and I can move on to the next. Sometimes I pick a smaller project which is done in a few days. Sometimes I know this in advance, sometimes I don't. I know now that sticking to one is the only way to get it finished.
Please don't think of it as being easy. It took me at least two decades to get to this point where I finally found a way that works for me. It won't just come.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 10:31:09 AM by Afke »

Snarkclaw

« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2019, 03:57:40 AM »

@Snarkclaw - I was thinking the very same thing. Breaking up the deadlines into sections. I was leaning toward two times but we can chat about that further and see what everyone else thinks. Thanks for your input.

I think that chat should basically amount to:
Maggie:  I am willing and able to run X number of submission sessions throughout the year, each lasting Y long.
Us:  Sounds good.
;)

However Richard said if I am willing and able to take over that part myself they would love to see the calendars keep coming. He said that the work and the imagination they display are a real treat and to make sure he can order a couple of copies of each edition for the Warp archive! Which I thought was pretty special.  ;D

Agreed!   ;D

But I think after what I've been reading in this thread that most seem like they may want to continue the calendar if we can implement some of the ideas we've been tossing around and get a bit more outside interest. Is this a consensus? Or am I reading into things?

This newcomer personally would love to see the calendar continue, and yes, that is my read on people's responses.

But you are the one who will be having to do all the heavy lifting, here.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2019, 11:19:40 AM »

@jaRf - I would be opening a store, (like the Pini's had on RedBubble) so anyone would be able to order the printed version and have it sent to them directly.

I wouldn't be producing the calendar myself via a printshop and then shipping it out, that's a lot of work and expense. That's how the calendar was last year and it wasn't the most efficient way of getting it done.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2019, 01:11:49 AM »

Of course, I am one of the people who would love to see the calendar continued also in printed form.
Opening a shop for this purpose would be great but it also sounds like a lot of even more work on top of everything you are already doing.
Should this happen it would be more important than ever that there's some actual interest and investment in this calendar. Otherwise all that work would be for nothing.
So, would it be feasible to open a shop? Would we get enough art work for a calendar? Would enough people actually buy the physical calendar?
These are my worries...

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2019, 06:15:09 PM »

@Treefox - It isn't that much of an effort after the store is set up. Once that's done all I have to do is upload the images and make the calendar each year which will then be for sale via the site. The same as Richard and then Rob did each year on CafePress and then RedBubble. I just upload the images the rest is up to the site, they produce the calendar and ship it etc.

But yes, the main thing is do people want to continue with the calendar. No point in going ahead and creating a storefront if no one wants to do this again next year. I feel like there is an interest but I wanted to make sure I wasn't just reading into things. ;)

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2019, 01:32:05 AM »

Oh, that sounds good! Wow, I feel optimistic that there is a future for the calendar! That is so great.
Thank you for all the effort you put into this project!

AceQuester

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2019, 01:05:54 PM »

So the big question now is.. when is it up so we can order it and when can we share our hard work with eachother here on this site? :D So excited :D:D

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2019, 05:32:37 PM »

@AceQuester - The calendar doesn't go up on the site until January 1st/December 31st at midnight my time (sometimes a bit earlier).

As for the printed version, still waiting on some artwork but I'll do my best to make it available before the end of the month. I can't promise anything though since I've never used the site I am planning to open a store on. There could be some unforeseen issues.

I'll send out a notice as soon as it is available for purchase.  ;)

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2019, 07:07:36 PM »

Do you have enough artwork? or do I have to fart more?

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2019, 07:24:20 PM »

Haha...there's enough Berit.  ;D

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2019, 07:35:05 PM »

Oookay! Im gonna go back in my busy corner! someone inform me if there is anything urgent!...

AceQuester

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2019, 06:32:29 PM »

Ah I love it! Thank you Maggie!
Because I was too late to get one from 2019 I just ordered 2 calendars for 2020 (also handy because it starts with my drawing in Januari😉)!

And I placed on the ElfQuestpage on Facebook the following:

First off all: best wishes for everyone!
Second: A new year means a new ElfQuest fan calendar!😁
You can buy one on Zazzle (see link below).

https://www.zazzle.com/store/eq_fan_art_calendars

Give a big howl for the creators of the calendar and please support them by buying one so that they can keep continuing making more. And new drawings/artists and input are welcome on: http://www.elfquestfanart.com😁🐺

Hyakurin

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2019, 07:49:50 PM »

If we can pin point the theme I absolutely can participate. I also agree to submit it as soon as I know a theme and not wait until October! 💖 I hope enough people are still interested.

Hyakurin

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2019, 09:38:40 PM »

Zazzle cancelled my order because of copyright infringement.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2020, 12:38:15 AM »

Happy new year everyone!
Maggie, thank you a thousand times for putting this together! The calendar is so vibrant! It's gorgeous!
Thank you all for submitting art and helping to continue this awesome project!
I am absolutely thrilled that we'll get the chance to buy a printed version! It looks like there are still some initial bugs to be worked out with Zazzle, but I am sure I'll love the physical calendar once it gets to me.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2020, 09:08:34 AM »

Mine was canceled too, which is kind of hilarious considering some of the stuff I've seen on Zazzle. I've sent a message to Zazzle explaining that I have permission from the creators of EQ to make a printed version of the calendar, so we'll see what happens.

Sorry about this, I'll get it sorted as soon as possible.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2020, 10:44:06 AM »

Happy new year everyone. May it be a good one and bring reason and wisdom to the world and also creativity and leisure (esp. to us).

(Probably Zazzle uses some nowadays-non-sense-"IP"-violation-detection that just has a false positive. A lot of platforms where users can upload or sell things often use (have to?) mechanisms (algorithms) to check submissions for possible infringements of "intellectual property" because they can't really check every upload with human eyes for problems. Sadly these algorithms often give a false hit.)

I'll go check out the calendar images now.

Snarkclaw

« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2020, 09:14:39 AM »

I just saw the images for the calendar.  I love the scenes that people chose, and the depictions of those scenes!  This was a wonderful theme.  :)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2020, 09:52:40 AM »

You should be able to get the printed calendar now, there is also a new code for 15% off NEWYRBIZ2020 or 2020PLANNING 

Fingers crossed there are no more issues.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 09:55:48 AM by Maggie »

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2020, 03:13:09 PM »

So sorry Maggie, I still get the copyright problem message. Is there anything we can do to help you with this?

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2020, 04:40:16 PM »

Really...ugh...that's so annoying. No, probably not but thank you for the offer.

I was sent a message this morning from Zazzle (the one that they sent in reply to Mr. Pini's letter of consent) stating: We have allowed this product and future products to go on sale for ElfQuest through this store. We are very happy that you have chosen Zazzle as your Marketplace and look forward to producing more merchandise with you in the future!

I was sent a separate email letting me know I could now re-order the calendar with the original promo code (only the code didn't work so I haven't ordered yet). I probably can't order one either but I was waiting to hear back about the code.

The problem for me is I can see the calendar (even when it was waiting to be placed for sale) and I can order a copy even when no one else can (until of course they cancel it). So it's hard for me to know what's what since I can do things as a store owner that a buyer on the site can't do.

Can you see the calendar? Is it available? Because when I'm not logged in to the site and I click on the product link it gives me an error message and the item doesn't show up.

I dunno...but I'll keep working at it.  ;) Please keep me posted on any new developments.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 04:48:21 PM by Maggie »

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2020, 03:40:31 AM »

I get a "Something went wrong. 404" error when I go to the "Products" tab on Zazzle.
Calendar looks amazing though, props to everyone for their hard work!  :love
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up