Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 2020 EQ Fan Art Calendar Guidelines  (Read 29518 times)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 EQ Fan Art Calendar Guidelines
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2019, 09:10:00 AM »

@Foxeye If you need a bit of an extension let me know, it would be great to have you submit something this year.  ;D

Wildfire

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2019, 12:00:15 PM »

How's it going for everyone? 30 days left! :D As always, I was super slow to get started, but now the ball is rolling and I might just finish before time for once :O

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2019, 02:01:38 PM »

I'm slow, but sketching!  ;D Gotta figure out the poses.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2019, 10:17:21 AM »

I'll start coloring today! This time it's going to be 100% digital, so it still takes me longer. But should be done in time.

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2019, 02:44:45 AM »

Poses are the worst!  :lol

Ooo, all digital Treefox? That's exciting! Are you still using Gimp?

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2019, 02:20:17 PM »

Actually, sadly unfortunate circumstances granted me an iPad, I’ll try to build everything in there. At first I wanted to at least color with Gimp, but my drawing pad and Gimp don’t get along at all anymore, so it looks like I will do it 100% on the iPad after all, using Adobe sketch. Wish me luck!   :meditate

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2019, 11:45:34 AM »

Good luck indeed! I'm sure it'll look wonderful.
If Adobe Sketch doesn't pan out, I've heard really good things about Procreate.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2019, 12:44:17 AM »

A good amount of people also likes Krita. Not sure if that has to be ported to the mobile device (or if you just use it as an input device).
https://krita.org/

Please be aware that Adobe is evil and so is Apple. :p A lot of their stuff is just golden chains and SaaS (software as a service, can be terminated from their side with ease).

Anyway I'm looking forward to see all the entries past new year.

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2019, 09:54:50 AM »

Krita's not availble on an iPad no. I tried Krita (on my desktop) a while back but I couldn't really get the hang of it. I'm just too used to Photoshop, I've been using it for years and years hah. It's a good alternative to Gimp, though it does fewer of the photography related things.

How's your entry going jaRf? Vectors, I asssume?

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2019, 10:05:53 AM »

Sorry for not checking in before now but my wi-fi has been out all the wires etc. needed to be completely replaced and then a snowstorm hint and knocked the power out. I hope everyone is doing well and can meet the deadline.

I've sent PM's to everyone who signed up (I think). Let me know if you're having issues or think you'll miss the deadline.   

Maggie

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2019, 01:19:23 PM »

Yeah, I know Adobe and Apple are evil... I would never spend money on their products. But it would have been a shame to let that perfectly good iPad go to waste... *sighs*
I am always happy to learn about alternatives to Gimp, though! Thank you, Jarf! *hugs*
Anyway, I still think I'll make it in time. I have to admit I am getting the hang of Adobe Sketch much faster than of Gimp...
*more sighs*

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2019, 01:20:11 PM »

And wow, Maggie, you have been hit by a snow storm already??? Poor you! Good to have you back!

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2019, 05:43:20 PM »

Anyway, I still think I'll make it in time. I have to admit I am getting the hang of Adobe Sketch much faster than of Gimp...
*more sighs*

Have you checked out Procreate on your iPad already?  I found it to be really quick to learn, and in some ways more intuitive than some PC digital apps :)  It's usually available to play around with at most apple stores on their ipads, if you aren't comfortable paying € without knowing if you like it.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2019, 08:56:26 AM »

How's your entry going jaRf? Vectors, I asssume?

Oh, well. No vectors. Not participating this year. (*)
;)

(*) lengthy explanation:
situation earlier this year: High workload at current job. Still no certainty about anything there.
Insecure planning for this year, needed to obtain a better job (that is closer to what I am, what I studied and researched on).
(Worked out last week by the way. :D Now I am on more than a month holiday.)

Moreover I wanted to move forward in art terms. Not accomplished, not enough time to do anything, no time to practise, no time to learn new tools and techniques.
Managed a few other EQ related things though, at least. :) And somehow... well, it was art, too.

Next point was: Topic again different from expectations, need acceptable ideas first. Was out of ideas.
No duplicate character entries allow... welcome.
Little me decided to sit it out this year. :P ;)

Looking forward to all your entires, though.

> Adobe, Apple etc.
Okay, since the thread has derailed a little anyway: Of course the Adobe products are said to have fairly good interfaces, after all they make money with these products for years.
Just be careful you all - if you enter that cage with the golden paint. Once they have you hooked up it's often hard to get off their needle. And they love to (vendor-)lock people in. Only on selected operating systems, more and more digital restriction management (hardware assisted DRM), more and more cloud stuff, SaaS. If you stop paying, if there's a mistake, a connection problem, if the USA decide that some state is on a no-fly-list, BAM! They switch of the water supply. Then you won't be using their software any second longer. And if you're unlucky your data is in their cloud and gone. And it is maybe even in a format that other programs can't read, so you can't just seamlessly continue with a different program.
Therefore: Keep an eye out for open standards and never sava anything valuable to a cloud (at least not exclusively there).

I'm also against wasting hardware, but I am more of a hardware liberator. But sometimes enterprises put even more research in how to close and nail down their stuff than everything else. So people can't run alternate software on it, can't repair, can't upgrade, can't audit the firmware, etc.. So you are fully dependent on the good will of [insert enterprise here]. If the company decides "lifetime" is over, then you can litereally throw the device to the trash. Or nearly. This is sad.
Or if battery is worn out due to the charge/discharge cycles, often you cannot exchange it. Then the device is also losing a lot of value.
Once it is bought anyway you can of course put it to good use.

> snowstorms
It seems early, though I had a morning with just 1 °C at work already. But then, it is Canada, isn't it? One would expect Canada, northern Russia, large parts of Scandinavia to have snow fairly early.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2019, 10:46:21 AM »

I have a heavy heart this morning...

Tomorrow is the deadline for the 2020 EQFA Calendar and another person has dropped out last minute. Only 4 submissions have made it into my inbox (thank you), with the promise of 3 more by the deadline but even so, that isn't enough to make a 12 month calendar.

I understand being busy, I understand stress and illness. I understand not wanting to and leaving things until the very last minute. But more than that I understand commitment.

I spend New Years Eve sitting at my computer getting the calendar ready so it can launch at midnight. I spend most of my free time during November getting the cover ready and then helping to coordinate the printed version of the fan calendar before I begin the ever tedious task of creating a new grid for the version that is uploaded to the site. I get nervous each year when it's time to contact Richard Pini and ask, is the printed calendar a go? And each time feel relief when he responds that he's up for it, if we're willing to make artwork to fill it. I do one piece of artwork each year, the fan art calendar cover. I made a commitment to the calendar years back and so far, I've kept up my end.

But I also made a promise to myself when I took over the site, as long as the calendar is something the members can get behind, I'll keep things going. That was back in 2012. Now here we are 7 years later and the calendar is clearly not as important. I might go so far as to say it isn't important at all. So why continue?

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that people just aren't interested in the site anymore. I know a few members who have tried to spark interest more than once but nothing changes.

It's going to break my heart but I can't continue to justify paying money out each year to host the site for a handful of people to upload bits of artwork and have the occasional conversation. If the calendar isn't of interest then I'll have to keep my promise to myself.

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2019, 02:52:35 PM »

I understand, I'm sorry it has come to this... I too have been seeing this lack of interest around and every time there is a calendar I'm afraid you are burning out from all you have to manage... I love this site, I really do... but somehow it has lost it's heart... I'm sorry I have not been active lately as I have personal things going on... but if you truly do shut this site down, Can I ask if we could have some time to go through the art and what not... I still want to post my Madcoil art here even if it's only for a while...

I'm sorry it has come to this... and thank you for all you have done...

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2019, 03:01:18 PM »

That is really disheartening to hear, Maggie. I sent my submission this morning, and I was really excited as I was very happy with my piece this year and explored different mediums . I understand how big of a comitment getting a piece out is. Not to mention the work hours needed to keep this place or the calendar running.

But if the interest is so sparse, then I absolutely understand. You've done phenomenal work keeping it alive for so long. Only four pieces in, huh. :( I'd be sad to see this place go. If this site is closing, how long time do we have to get our artwork saved? I ask because I've been a member for a long time and some of the stuff I have on here I don't got on my harddrive or anywhere else.

Either way, I thank you for doing this for so long.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 03:05:47 PM by Startear »
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2019, 04:21:37 PM »

I would never just close down overnight or anything, so please don't fret.

I have to pay for the domain in December (which I will do) and then in March of next year I would have to renew my hosting. If the site does shut down it would be just before the renewal.

I am open to discussion and won't be making any sudden moves but if this place is to stay in place then we have to commit to something fan art related at least.

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2019, 01:07:37 AM »

Sad to hear this, but understandable. I haven't been as active here than what I intended. I'm still working on my submission, and plan to send it later today (in Finnish time. :D).

I hope we can figure out a place/way to keep in touch with the active memebers of this site.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2019, 07:42:38 AM »

In calendar news nothing in my inbox this morning (with the exception of an update on Berit's second submission). I know you are working away Czarine and so is Wildfire. There is one other image I am expecting sometime today as well.

Berit (as mentioned above) has kindly stepped in and is working on another piece for the calendar. I will commit to the cover and a month and Afke said she may be able to do something after Halloween. That would give us 11 images and I have someone who thinks they can get something done mid November. So it looks like there will be a calendar after all.

As far as the site, there is time to consider and chat about things since the renewal isn't until mid-March 2020.

Yavia

• Tuftear
  • Master of Comedic Arts
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2019, 08:10:15 AM »

I literally try to write a comment since 03:00 AM, but I just can't.
I wanted to apologise that I don't have any idea to this theme and droped out a while ago, and that I have to blame myself for an unfinished calendar and I do. I wanted to offer to draw an entry - as someone give me free characters or an idea what should be theme in the entry - for I lack both of it in this calendar theme. On my schedule it will be done at the latest till Monday after this weekend.
If there's still any need, give me a holler.

Will there be a discussion threat for considering about this side?
I have to confess I don't get this sentence completely. Maggie: "...if this place is to stay in place then we have to commit to something fan art related at least."
I'm not conceited with my title - it's just how it is  ;D

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2019, 10:21:12 AM »

@Yavia, can I let you know if we need more art in a few days? I wouldn't want you to rush to make something if we don't need it. I was looking at your inktober stuff and honestly almost any one of those images could have been a part of this years calendar. The theme was so simple, just draw your favourite characters.

As for the sentence you don't understand, what I'm saying is if the site were to remain open the active members would have to commit to either the calendar or something fan art related that isn't simply adding a bit of artwork to the site every once in awhile.

Yavia

• Tuftear
  • Master of Comedic Arts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2019, 12:50:04 PM »

It's okay for me, just let me know.
For the theme - I kinda have the problem some others have too, the favourite characters were taken and I did not find a favourite scene with the few that were left. Also I had the problem finding new perspectives for the scenes I like. For example I take the reunion between Cutter and his family in the forbidden grove. It was perfect in the comic for me. How could I change it to make it new. It might sound silly but I have had my problems with that.

I'm afraid you might rip my head off, but I still don't get it. I seem to have difficulties with the phrase "fan art related". Is there a difference between commit fan art related and adding art to the side? What is the difference? Is it uploading more elfquest related content with original characters, not what if characters? Or is it the once in awhile?
I'm really, really sorry for being so stupid, plz don't hate me.  :baghead
I'm not conceited with my title - it's just how it is  ;D

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2019, 01:07:52 PM »

@Yavia, You're not stupid. ;)

The calendar was the one thing that most if not all active members participated in each year. Some (like me) don't post a lot of artwork on a regular basis. Most groups have rules that say you must post a certain amount of art each month, or year to keep people coming to the site, to keep things interesting.

I thought that the calendar was something special and for me was enough to keep the site going but if people don't want to work on the calendar and there aren't a lot of art uploads then I don't see the point in keeping the site going.

I hope this makes sense.  ;D

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2019, 01:49:05 PM »

I just submitted! ;D I didn't manage to submit early even though I'd planned on it, but it's done.

I'm sorry to hear about the lack of art. I love this place even if I don't use it terribly much, but it has always been a labour of love tied to the calendar. If interest is dwindling away to other areas of the internet, it might be time to let it go. The Elfquest fandom is still out there, doing the calendar project elsewhere (Tumblr, Deviantart, Reddit, Discord are just a few that comes to mind. Even a Facebook group might do, but Facebook is ill suited for that kind of thing) might be a possibility. It would remove the burden of hosting and maintaining the site and maybe draw in a part of the fanbase that doesn't frequent forums as much as they did 10 years ago.

I've pretty much been committed to the calendar for a solid decade lmao, but committing to something beyond that - I won't be able to do that. I enjoy this niche of the fandom a lot, and I might participate in whatever challenge would come, but I can't promise anything more concrete than that.

That being said, I hugely appreciate that you're not shutting it down overnight. I never imagined that you would, but I never imagined the SoC going down that way either.

@Yavia, I had some trouble with the theme as well, you're not alone! Sometimes broad themes can be difficult  ;)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 02:05:13 PM by Wildfire »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up