Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 2018 EQ Fan Calender Guidelines  (Read 41222 times)

Cloudchaser

• Treewee
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 EQ Fan Calender Guidelines
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2017, 11:21:24 AM »

I'll have my entry done well before this weekend if everything goes as planned (just tidying up the last bits and pieces).  :D

But if there was all that work and it will not even be a calendar, I would be devastated, not only for myself but for all the others still participating.  :'(

I'm not really good at "speed drawing" digitally (and digital is my main medium), but if that's what it takes to have enough entries to fill the calendar, I hereby offer to do another one. It would probably have to be in another medium like watercolour or the like, as I work faster on paper than on the computer, but then the finishing touches will still be done digitally. My only (?) problem is that I will be away from home from Oct. 22. until Oct. 28, so that leaves me give or take a *gulp* :o week to finish the second entry. But I'm willing to try, if that's what is needed to finish enough entries for the calendar! :)

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2017, 11:35:55 AM »

I'm also up for drawing an entry, even though I didn't sign up originally.  :) I'm quite busy this month, so it probably won't be anything fancy, but an entry nevertheless! I basically have this week and a few days at the end of the month to draw it, so the schedule is tight, but not impossible!  ;D

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2017, 12:26:28 PM »

@jaRf - Stick with your entry as it is, I don't think it should be split into two. ;)

@Wildfire - Thanks for passing the message along. :) I've sent emails to some of the artist who have participated in past calendars, so I'll see if they can jump in but if not I'll let you know.

@Cloudchaser - Don't worry just concentrate on your entry. :) We'll have a calendar. ;)

@Yavia - I'll message you with some ideas

@Czarine - I sent you an email a few days ago but I guess you didn't receive it. It would be great if you could submit an entry that would be awesome. I can give those jumping in a bit of extra time if need be. :D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 12:37:21 PM by Maggie »

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2017, 12:38:13 PM »

@Maggie - I did receive it, I was just too busy with unpacking my stuff in our new apartment to answer. Sorry!  :-X

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2017, 12:51:27 PM »

@Maggie - I did receive it, I was just too busy with unpacking my stuff in our new apartment to answer. Sorry!  :-X

Oh no problem, it's just I mailed several people and quite a few were returned because the email they have here on the site was invalid. I thought that might have been the case with you.

Treefox

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2017, 12:51:15 PM »

Wow, thanks to all the members who jumped in to give us another delightful calendar! Thank you!

@Wildfire: Thanks for spreading the word, lovely lady! Wonderful job!

I hope I'll get my entry done next week!

Yavia

• Tuftear
  • Master of Comedic Arts
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2017, 03:43:36 PM »

Funny thing: I've come up with two ideas. And now I can't deside. I'll make them both just in case. Making progress at the first one.
I'm not conceited with my title - it's just how it is  ;D

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2017, 12:46:10 PM »

Good to see things seem to come into safe waters. Thanks, people!

Progress on my side is fairly good (if I'd ever be satisfied with my work...). A lot of it is done and the open parts are progressing. Things look more and more manageable, whenever I had a day or evening with focused work. Still glad I started early this year.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »

Yes! Excitement....submissions are coming in....woo hoo!

Yavia

• Tuftear
  • Master of Comedic Arts
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2017, 02:16:13 PM »

Uff, I just finished my submissions and sended it to Maggie.
It was a real fun to draw again especially this fast.
Thanx to welcome me this late as friendly as ever. I allways enjoy being with all of you.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2017, 01:03:27 PM »

It's astonishing how fast some people are. Well, at least I can see the finish line from afar. :)

Yavia

• Tuftear
  • Master of Comedic Arts
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2017, 02:46:34 PM »

Sorry - Please don't feel sad! I just have a lot, a lot of practise. I nearly draw in my sleep. And all spare time of the last days I spend drawing.

I have faith in you, jarf! You'll can make it!  :)

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2017, 03:18:46 PM »

I know I said I'd have it finished last week, but life and Ekuar's face happened (he's so hard to draw!). Hopefully I'll be finished tomorrow :)

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2017, 01:13:44 PM »

I also think I will really be able to have my submission ready by end of this weekend. Ekuar has a face! And it is Ekuar‘s face! He is so hard to draw! I feel you, Wildfire.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2017, 02:43:16 AM »

Yes, and once you have ideas and started sketching and doing things, you suddenly notice he's not having two arms... ;) His leg was always obvious to me (pirate leg Arrr!), but the arm...

But generally I think faces are very hard to draw because they are just the main part of how you recognize a character, and maybe also most detailed. Ususally for most people (with healthy eyes) the face (including hair) is the first thing we use if we want to recognize someone.

I wonder how some people do it. You know, if you break it down it sometimes is just a few lines. Clear and defined, but it's not like it's 2500 vertices or something. I remember how Brandon McKinney drew the image of Rayek (my avatar) iirc. 2003. His little son was climbing around on his shoulders but he just drew on, kinda "stoical", and brought Rayek to paper with not too many lines and within ... maybe 4 or 5 minutes? I was astonished how someone can get a character done so quickly under these circumstances. And the face weren't thousands of lines but absolutely recognizable within an instant.
But I guess that is years of practice.

I still struggle with faces (and also often with hands and feet, depending on perspective). And I struggle with the use of sharp, black (out)lines. But skill comes with practice.

The face shapes table in one of the EQ gatherums was quite a help for me (not sure if they also had it online with their how to draw pages on ElfQuest.com), I think they only had it for the girls, but there was like base shape is an apple, or a heart or ...
They also have these expression tables, I think those were also online.
Sometimes it's just helpful to break things down to the basic elements, zoom in on pictures and try to find out how exactly it was done and what the elements are.

Calendar-art-wise it seems that I might get my single elements done this weekend and will start putting them all together in one single image. (OMG *shudders*)

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2017, 03:16:31 AM »

Ekuar is quite different face-wise than most other EQ characters, I like that about this theme. Difficult yes, but it'll be interesting to see everyone's take on Ekuar!

@jaRF oh yeah his missing limbs are something to look out for for sure! I decided in the 11th hour that I liked the feel of my composition better when I flipped the image horizonally, which usually isn't a big thing (flip the hair/add an ornamental doo-dad/switch the stitching on the clothes a bit) but with this one it turned out to be a rather massive change hah!

Oh and on outlines, you can always colour your lineart if that makes it easier, it can remove some of the starkness of the black lines. I'm not terribly good at lineart myself, I often leave it out and just block out everything first, and in the end tighten the image with a "border" instead of proper lineart. Working with vector is very different though, I can't imagine needing to keep everything so crisp!

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2017, 07:01:28 PM »

Just update where I'm at, Lineart is complete and will start coloring soon! lineart took longer than suspected because of course I got a cold during making and was had not to ruin everything as I had such a runny nose... but I'll be ready soon!...

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2017, 02:27:46 PM »

... but it'll be interesting to see everyone's take on Ekuar!

Definitely. I'm curious what people will have prepared for this calendar. Oh, but we still have roughly 2 months to wait.

flip
Yes, usually it can be done easily once you work digitally (scanned or done entirely at the computer). Though an image can have a different "mood" once mirrored. But in this case, yes, one would have more problems. Luckily, when you do the limbs separately, you can "exchange" them, too. :)

outlines... you can always colour your lineart
Hmm, well, my workflow with vectors (Inkscape; you might think of it as a kind of Blender in 2D) is somewhat different.
I can tune outlines on every single object if I wanted, thickness, rounding / cornery-ness, colour, even gradients. But one must watch overlaps and the whole shape so it won't look silly or patched together. And I'm probably just shy with strong lines. I noticed that it does help on occasions, esp. when there is little contrast otherwise (pale skinned elf on bright background for example).

I can't imagine needing to keep everything so crisp!
Oh, believe me, I can. ;) It does help a lot when you have multiple scenes (e.g. see my calendar entry for last year:
separate scenes
http://www.elfquestfanart.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=526
before I put all into one
http://www.elfquestfanart.com/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=5544 )
It's a bit easier to place and shift them around, even shrink or upscale parts, and you can export a bitmap-style image in virtually any resolution. And thus it also survives all those operations without loss. Still, if the final resolution of the export is relatively low you will lose detail (e.g. fingernails won't be really visible...).

If things proceed and life treats me well, next week will be the last steps of work for next year's calendar for me. Still looks like a bunch of work to put all the parts together...

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2017, 02:29:47 PM »

I had such a runny nose... but I'll be ready soon!...

Then get well, soon! :)
And sleep, vitamin C, camomile tea and ginger might help.

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2017, 09:40:15 PM »

I will! thank you!.. well, luckily I have some herbs I gathered during summer, so I can brew a nice pot of tea that will help! so I'll be trying to finish the pictures tomorrow...

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2017, 11:02:42 PM »

... Aaaand I ran into a problem... I have no idea how to change resolution on my scanner... I honestly don't even know if I can... well, I'll try to see what I can do...

EDIT: I found how!!  whew... that was needlessly complicated... and a day wasted! gotta do my best tomorrow!...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:22:15 AM by Berit »

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2017, 10:24:08 AM »

Oh no! If there is anything we can do to help, let us know!
I am done with my submission.
As Wildfie said, Ekuar is difficult to draw, but that is a welcome challenge. I love that the calendars always gives me new challenges, drawing things, I usually wouldn't draw.
Ekuar's design is really unique in Elfquest and many other comics, I imagine. He's one of the greatest and amazing characters I have come to known in any written or drawn form.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2017, 10:24:55 AM »

Just saw your edit! Woohoo! Good job!

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2017, 05:19:10 AM »

Mine is ready! I'll begin working on the other one just in case something goes wrong and we need an extra...

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2017, 05:24:50 AM »

Oh, and just noticed that the link to current and past calendars is broken, don't know if it's just for me or if it's like to others as well...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up