Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 2018 EQ Fan Calender Guidelines  (Read 41215 times)

Wildfire

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: 2018 EQ Fan Calender Guidelines
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 02:28:16 PM »

I'm still in as well, though I haven't properly started yet! Thumbnailing is always fun though

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 11:06:15 AM »

MAGGIE!! Im so in =D just FYI!! Sorry I'm making a baby ( cub) over here and I thought i wrote back.. baby brain is a REAL THING

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 12:46:03 PM »

I was going to contact you since I hadn't heard anything.  ;) Yes, baby brain is a thing. Congrats on the baby brain!  ;D

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 11:41:55 AM »

Alright, so I've decided to do the cover which will be a portrait and to submit an entry for the inside of the calendar. This gives us 12 entries which is just enough for the calendar.

If anyone is still interested in participating but hasn't said anything please do contact me and get in on this. The more the merrier.  ;D

Hyakurin

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2017, 05:09:47 PM »

I'm still in!

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2017, 01:49:37 PM »

Hey!

How are the calendar entries coming along?

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2017, 11:17:42 PM »

Acceptable, but it could be better. Lots of things to do that suck out energy. I try to get a few things done in the some evenings at least, but creativity needs leisure and energy and I often lack both when it's late.

AceQuester

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2017, 01:47:28 AM »

For me the same as for jaRf. Daily life is messing up my energy and planning. But still working on my entry.

BTW I finally received an email again :)
Warm furs and good hunting... And remember it's a Beautiful Life!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 12:28:04 AM »

Concept and even rough sketch is done. As usual I will not be able to submit the entry before October. But I plan to do it!

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017, 02:57:31 AM »

I have a concept in mind, still gotta actually start drawing. I'm still in though!

EDIT: I started sketching and colortesting, and I'm confident in my concept  :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 12:33:47 PM by Wildfire »

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2017, 08:41:40 AM »

There is progress, cause I try to force myself every now and then (if RL permits) to do something calendar related and some parts I already like, some not. Currently I am struggling with the faces, again. Major part of a character being recognizable, and maybe >60% of emotional expression is done via the face. And I really lack expertise and training on faces.

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2017, 02:46:03 AM »

jaRf, if you need help with the expression, let me know. Perhaps I could do that part.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »

Thank you for the kind offer, Afke. I'll come back to it if I can't solve it. Usually, given enough time, it gets somewhat better (or less worse :) ). Moreover I won't really improve without training. Some hints could be helpful, though. But probably I'm just too clumsy.
Besides it's digital and all vectors, so I don't know if that would be really of use for you.

Hyakurin

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2017, 08:23:22 PM »

I hope to finish something this month!

AceQuester

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2017, 05:14:49 AM »

Hi Maggie,

I have send you a email with my contribution because I can't attach anything in a message here. Hope you received it. Let me know if you did (or didn't). :)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2017, 07:01:47 AM »

So glad you sent it via email. If you had posted it to the forum it would have been disqualified.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2017, 10:42:33 AM »

Final check time for the 2018 Fan Calendar!

How are your entries coming along? I've sent all the participants PM's but I thought I would post here too.  :)

As of today only two entries have been submitted, which worries me a little. This year I won't be able to give any extra time which is why I stared things earlier than usual. Please give me an update on whether or not you think you'll be able to make the deadline of October 31st.  ;)

Also if anyone is available to step in last minute with a submission please let me know. I'm already doing two, so if any more than one person was to drop out the calendar would be in trouble and three of the participants haven't logged in, in at least a month.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2017, 09:26:06 AM »

Well, you received my email a few days ago and know about my state of progress.

However, if you want to reach people you will have to email them directly - the server, again, isn't sending out email notifications about PMs or thread responses to everyone. I thought that should be mentioned.

AceQuester

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 08:02:03 AM »

Off topic: I didn't received any notification from this site. Luckely I already send my submission but maybe other people didn't received your message... :S

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2017, 04:01:31 PM »

I've heard back from almost everyone so the messaging issues don't seem to be much of an issue for most people.  ;) If you're having messaging issues make sure your email address is current, I'll email you directly if anything important comes up.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 04:18:07 PM by Maggie »

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2017, 12:24:25 PM »

Bad news...

I have heard from everyone who signed on to participate in this years fan calendar and as it stands now we won't have enough entries. I can try to do another but two months, the cover and the calendar template for the site will probably be more than I can manage (since I wait until all the entries are in before I start mine) and we would still be short.

Two participants have dropped out entirely and two are unsure if they will finish in time. I have two entries handed in and six participants confirming they will have their entries in by the deadline, which if you do the math leaves the calendar at a deficit.

I'm heartbroken because the calendar was a huge part of why I took over the site and why I still keep it running. Now it's crystal clear that EQ isn't as important as it used to be. Believe me, I understand being busy, life can be difficult and not leave much time for pleasurable things like artwork. Still, if something is important you can always find the time. You've all had 10 months worth of time to make a drawing, if that isn't enough time then...

I'm going to push forward with my fingers crossed, I hope all of you who are working on entries are still with me (let me know if you aren't). I don't want to just go out with a whimper, last years calendar being the last. If anyone who hasn't signed up or has finished an entry and thinks they can manage another wants to jump in please let me know. If you're still working away, please just concentrate on your current entry.

And...not to add salt to the wound but I'm also going to start considering the future of the site (once again). I always said to myself that when the calendar didn't have enough participants I would close. As it is, the site needs some major upgrades but at this point I don't think it would be worth the time or money. If anyone wants to discuss, express, suggest, I'll start a new thread. 

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2017, 02:30:32 AM »

First a little rant, then suggestions for solutions.

Quote from: myself
I do hope that the people who voted for "entirely X" will now be taking responsibility and living up to their vote.

But who knows who voted for which topic... Maybe it weren't even artists.

*sigh* Oh. Well.

It's not that I haven't told that communication is the alpha and omega of every project, regardless what kind of project it may be. Communication is a pillar of success.

Moreover I guess told you by mail that there is always a "probability" (certainty!) that roughly 20% will drop out. In any project. I have been in international science research groups, cultural projects, fan based movie making, event preparations - and it was always like this. People drop out, for any reason. Dead, any kind of illness, sick relatives, pregnant, on the move / new job, or just "Oh crap, I totally forgot about it" or "I underestimated the amount of work". If you're lucky some others will come and fill the places but one should not build on this rather flimsy foundation of hope.
And this year was a close call from the beginning, so if one would drop out - we're already in trouble. And then the rule of 20% hovers above it like a dark cloud, ready to strike lightning at any time.
Seems it finally hit.

Well, on to solutions.

1. Yes, we still will have a few people that did not officially enlist, but maybe can do something quickly.
But we need to REACH these artists.
(And there are a lot more artists out there that did EQ work already, but they are not here. You can find some of them in holts, on DA, in forums and elsewhere.)

2. You still have my proposal about the split entry.
You have seen the material I sent you and you know it could probably fill two slots as an emergency solution. Of course I need to do a little polishing here and there, but progress is fairly good.

3. The calendar has a long tradition and it shouldn't die off just like that.
But we have to ask questions and find answers - but that is to do after we got enough entries for the 2018 calendar.
(What went wrong? How could that be prevented / improved? What was / is missing most? ... And I already have a few (at least partial) answers.)
But first let's get this one into safe waters.

> You've all had 10 months worth of time to make a drawing, if that isn't enough time then...

Not everyone is a pro-artist. And life often comes in between (and it sometimes sucks all the creative energy, the leisure from people).
But this is also why I like to start early, cause my experience tells me that it might still get bumpy on the road, later.

> site
Let's talk about that later. Currently we need to focus on the art-related things. For now you got to use additional means to communicate and reach people.

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2017, 12:11:56 PM »

Oh man, that absolutely sucks. It's always risky running a challenge like this with so few participants, but it does seem like the interest has been dwindling in the past few years. It's a shame, I've really loved this project, it's been a huge part in shaping my art and approach to fandom in general. If it (and the site) does shut down, I'll be pretty devastated, but running a site/fanevent like this only for nostalgia's sake isn't really sustainable. It's only really alive if people participate.
I'll absolutely understand if you shut the site down, I'm not nearly active enough on here to in any shape or form demand that you keep it up :(

Regarding the time-frame, I've run a few fan-challenges over on Tumblr, and in my experience, people having longer to finish their submission does not mean that they actually use that time. If people only have 4 weeks they'll probably deliver the same result as if they have 10 months and a few people will always drop out. Which of course sucks as an admin, but there'll always be something that comes up, good excuses, bad excuses, lack of interest, whatever. There's not really anything any of us can do to stop that.

I made a post on the Elfquest Facebook site and on the Discord chat, maybe a few people will consider signing up. :) I'll try to finish my submission over this week and maybe I can take on another entry.

Yavia

• Tuftear
  • Master of Comedic Arts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2017, 02:57:28 AM »

Okay, I made myself clear - I could make it in a few days but I have absolutly no idea to the theme at all. That's why I don't participant in the first time.
I can offer to draw one, but someone must help me with Ideas what to draw. Then there are ... 1 or maybe even 3 more to go - puckernuts!

Could it help to ask some of the participants of the calenders before via mail? If they are still members of the side. Maybe their participant was also a kind of jump in cause we were short of entries and they have forgotten about the side so far.
I'm not conceited with my title - it's just how it is  ;D

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2017, 06:36:45 AM »

> I can offer to draw one, but someone must help me with Ideas what to draw.

Ideas should (hopefully) be the smallest problem. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up