Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 2018 EQ Fan Calender Guidelines  (Read 41219 times)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
2018 EQ Fan Calender Guidelines
« on: January 03, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »

The theme for the 2018 Elfquest Fan Art Calendar is: Entirely Ekuar

**You may use Ekuar/any other character interaction from The Original Quest, Siege at Blue Mountain and Kings of the Broken Wheel **

Submissions for the 2017 Calendar are being accepted:
Jan 4th, 2017 through October 31st, 2017

THEME

Submitted artwork should represent the theme "Entirely Ekuar”.

This means that the character Ekuar must be the main focus of each submission. You will be able to use additional characters if you like but Ekuar should remain in the spotlight.

DETAILS

•Ekuar must be the main focus of each submission. You are free to use additional character if you wish but it is not required. 

•You may use any extra characters in your submission so long as they belong to the following: The Original Quest, Siege at Blue Mountain and Kings of the Broken Wheel.

•You will be required to PM Maggie to let her know you are participating in the calendar this year. Please do not post a message to the board, only send a PM.

•No one wants to limit creativity but it would be great if we could keep open communication about secondary characters in all entries. This will help to ensure the calendar submissions are as varied as possible. Having one main focus is interesting; this turning into a 12 month Ekuar/Rayek calendar is not. There are many possibilities so let’s do our best to keep this theme as interesting as possible. Please post your secondary character ideas to the thread, so we can do our best not to get a lot of repeat submissions.

•You will be asked to update Maggie in March, June and September with your progress. This will help to determine if we will have enough entries for the calendar. If at any time you feel you cannot continue just send a message, there won’t be any hard feelings.

•Please keep in mind that you have approx. 10 months to get your submission ready, which should be more than enough time. If there is no response to the requests for progress I will have to assume you are no longer participating and I will have no choice but to find a replacement artist. Communication is key, so please keep in touch. 

•You may submit up to three entries for the calendar but before you contemplate that second or third entry you must first finish and submit one entry to Maggie.

GROUPS

•You may work in groups of two if that makes things easier for you. Please let me know who you will be working with when you sign up.

•How you work in your group is totally up to you. One of you may supply a sketch for the other to ink and colour or you may work together to complete the scene. It doesn’t matter so long as you both agree. 

CONTENT

•Entries must be original artwork created specifically for the calendar. The use of photos or "borrowed" art for backgrounds is not allowed.

•Entries must not be available for the general public to view online until the okay is given for general sharing. Before then, any entries found online in any form (thumbnails, crops, etc.) will be disqualified and removed.

•Canon Elfquest characters (of any race) only. No what-if characters (i.e., Worldpool).

•PG-13 or under.

FORMAT

**Please make sure your submissions are the correct size. Any submissions that are not 3300x2550 pixels  or 11 x 8.5 inches at 300dpi will not be accepted**

•All entries should be in full color, with some type of a background.

•Size: 11"x 8.5" (pictures must be landscape oriented - wider than they are tall)

•Resolution: 3300 x 2550 pixels (11" x 8.5" at 300dpi)

•File format: JPEG/PNG format only

HOW TO SUBMIT

•When you are ready please email your full-sized entry to Maggie. Please PM Maggie when you have an entry ready to be submitted.

•Entries must be received by midnight CST, October 31, 2017.

Include the following:

**Please note, from now on you may either submit your real name, example Maggie Atkinson or the name you use at the EQFA site, example Treefox.  Huge, long names which include middle names mixed in with last names and then AKA: your elf name etc. will not be accepted. **

•Title (Required):  Title of your submission.  Titles will be included on the calendar.
•Artist Credits (Required):  Will be included on the calendar. 
•Email (Required):

CREDIT

•The artist credit will be used for credits on the calendar/website.

PUBLISHING

•The twelve winners will be chosen by a panel of judges (if more than 12 entries are submitted).

•The finished calendar will be available for download at elfquestfanart.com. In addition, the calendar will be published at Elfquest's RedBubble shop (hopefully).

QUESTIONS

•Any questions about the calendar may be asked and answered on this thread or PM Maggie.

•If you don't know what this is all about, check out the current and past Fan Art Calendars here:  http://www.elfquestfanart.com/calendar/

Participants

•Maggie Cover

•Hyakurin - FINISHED

•AceQuester - FINISHED

•Wildfire - FINISHED

•Treefox - FINISHED

•EyesHigh76

•Cloudchaser - FINISHED

•jaRf - FINISHED

•Czarine - FINISHED

•Yavia - FINISHED

•Startear - FINISHED

•Berit - FINISHED

•Sophia - FINISHED

•kiwi241277 - FINISHED

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:08:02 AM by Maggie »

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 EQ Fan Calender Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 09:15:39 AM »

Wow, I can't believe my joke theme won. Not that I wasn't serious about the theme but I never thought that Ekuar would be the winner. This should be fun.  ;D

Treefox

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 12:06:50 PM »

Oooh! Great! Looking forward on doing this! Will PM soon with my ideas.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 04:01:12 PM »

Never think something in an election is impossible...

But I'm kind of happy that this one went with Ekuar. I was somewhat shocked when I finally, after much gut-wringing, had cast my vote on daily life and saw the votes so far (near the end of poll). I was shocked but not really surprised since people sometimes tend to vote for crazy things. Or just for fun and not expecting it to hapen...

I do hope that the people who voted for "entirely X" will now be taking responsibility and living up to their vote.

Well, I just thought "12 months of a single character" can be very limiting. So I'm reliefed that is is Ekuar. He has a lot of connections to other's and that also over a long time span. Moreover I am happy because I had already an idea that I could use him in for "comedy", "all action", "homes" or "daily life". :)

Already past bedtime here, so I won't be able to post many ideas right now, but I think it should be possible to get an assortment of possible characters. Ekuar was around a lot and is very old. He met lots of elves, but also trolls (though most of that was not a happy acquaintance) and even an occasional human.

*looks around if Maggie is gone*
Psst! Hey, people, she said "12 month Ekuar/Rayek calendar is not" so let's turn it into 11/12 Ekuar/Rayek. Or maybe she even meant 13, including cover? ;)

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 01:41:47 PM »

Oh my gosh I didn't anticipate this! That's hilarious though, I love it! I'll be in my thinking box, maybe something with trolls this year...

EyesHigh76

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 09:34:14 AM »

I am not sure if I will join this year... I got a lot going on this year and I am not sure where to fit this in.
I love the theme btw! I think he is an amazing character!

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 08:04:42 AM »

I am not sure if I will join this year... I got a lot going on this year and I am not sure where to fit this in.

You could always sign up and then if you haven't managed to get anything started by the first or second update in March/june you could always drop the project. Totally up to you of course.

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 09:44:08 AM »

Wow, what a theme!  :o  ;D I'm not sure I'll participate this year, but if you're short on participants, I can step in! Collab/s would also be nice for a change.

Hyakurin

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 04:10:43 AM »

I'll be participating now to figure out who will be in the piece with Ekuar!

AceQuester

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 07:54:57 AM »

Hi Maggie,

I have an idea (not totally finished in my head) for my input for the calendar. I wanna draw Ekuar with Ahdri. Eventhough it has been a brief time, Ekuar was in Sorrow's End when Rayek brought the Palace to Sorrow's End.
Can I sign up for it?
Warm furs and good hunting... And remember it's a Beautiful Life!

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 08:54:10 AM »

I'll add you two to the list.  ;D

You can work with any characters you like so long as they are in The Original Quest, Siege or Kings of the Broken Wheel. I'm not really keeping tabs on the characters you plan on using (aside from Ekuar) I just figured it was a good idea to post them in this thread so we can get some varied entries.

Now everyone knows that AceQuester wants to add Ahdri to his submission and when you're ready Hyakurin please post who you'd like to use. Oh and you can use more than one additional character if you like. ;)

Hyakurin

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »

I'd like to do Ekuar with Suntop, Ember, and Trinket in the Palace.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 05:10:24 AM »

I have gathered some ideas (various elves), but now need to see if and how I can fit them in the page. Then I probably have to start with a scene that I find most important (or funny?) to have at least that one ready, then, if time permits, add everything else. (scaling within the same ratio shouldn't be a big issue)

In other news I ordered a paper calendar for 2017 and received it. I'd say the print quality is very good. Can't judge what it will look like if exposed to 1 year of sunlight, of course. But the colours and brightness look true to their originals and the font sharpness looks good. The paper is quite thick (more like cardboard), but still somewhat flexible. The only complaint is the backside view that features all the months in small on one page, but from all of them the left side is cut off a little (also the text under them is cut). But that's only the backside.
(size is ~ 27,5 x 43 cm, should be ~ 11 x 17 inch)
It was international shipment, though (had hope they'd also have print-shop in Europe) and took a certain time (roughly 12 days, which is still reasonable) and postage.

Cloudchaser

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 04:32:48 AM »

I'm soooo looking forward to this! I'm drawing Ekuar with Osek and Mekda, but what part of their saga the scene will depict, I'll keep under wraps for now.  ;)

And yeeees, I know we never meet Osek ALIVE i OQ, but as his bones are present and he is shown in the flashback Ekuar has, so I count him as a OQ character. And Mekda (as "Sack-O'-Bones") is definitely a OQ character, even if her appearance is rather brief and disturbing...  :'(

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 01:11:44 AM »

Cloudchaser, you can find "living" references in Rogue's Curse where Ekuar tells his story, in case you need.
( http://elfquest.com/read/index.php?s=RC&p=242 )

And yes, they're part of OQ with the scene where the bone pieces are shown to Ekuar.

Cloudchaser

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 02:59:46 AM »

Thank you, jaRf, that is exactly the flashback I was referring to (when Ekuar is shown the fingerbone).

And I will use Rogue's Curse for reference, but as that story is only in black and white I will have to be a bit more inventive regarding the looks and colourings of Osek and Mekda - which only makes it more fun! :-D

EyesHigh76

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 04:03:08 AM »

I want to enter woth Ekuar, Trinket and Picknose. Picknose will be a maybe, but definitely with Trinket.

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 11:54:40 AM »

I'd like to claim Urda, the Go-Back woman Ekuar joined with in the orgy scene. I'll probably use some Wolfriders and some other Go-Backs as background characters but I'm not sure who. Maybe Pike and Vaya or some of the unnamed characters we see in the scene

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 06:16:34 AM »

I would like to enter a picture with Ekuar, Rayek and Leetah.

Yavia

• Tuftear
  • Master of Comedic Arts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 01:03:55 PM »

Okay, that's a crazy theme idea. Is it only possible to submit images in the timeline Original Quest till Kings of the Broken Wheel? That would be very limited.
Did he ever was drawn with hair? How does it look like?
I've done my Ekuar/Rayek submission 2014. I'm not sure if I will come up with another one with Ekuar. So far. I have to think it over. Ekuar with hair, maybe..?
I'm not conceited with my title - it's just how it is  ;D

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 01:27:17 PM »

I'm currently wrestling with three ideas. Ekuar with snow, Ekuar with Kahvi and a deer, and Ekuar with random Go-Back kids. I'm personally the biggest fan of the last two ones.

I'm also open to do some marker coloring if anyone wants to collaborate!
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 02:38:30 PM »

It's March and so I'm checking in.  ;D

For now I just want to know who plans to participate this year and if any of the participants on the current list have changed their minds and think they might need to drop out.

If you plan to participate I'd like to know before the end of the month. Not that I won't continue to take participants after March but it's good to know what's what. If you'd like to submit something but your name isn't on the list please let me know so I can add it. If your name is on the list and you feel like you can't manage it, let me know so I can take your name off the list.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 11:31:29 PM »

I'm definitely still in!

Cloudchaser

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 02:56:56 AM »