Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2018 Fan Calendar Theme  (Read 8663 times)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
2018 Fan Calendar Theme
« on: December 10, 2016, 11:26:56 AM »

Alright, the 2017 Fan Calendar is set to come out in a few weeks, so let's get started on discussing the theme for next years calendar.

I'd like to have a decision made by January 1st, which will give everyone 10 months to submit an entry. This is plenty of time to work with and if not, well let's face it you aren't that in to EQ anymore or are just too busy to find the time for it. I can respect that but I would appreciate some consideration before you jump in and say you'd like to be a part of this. I consider committing to the EQ fan calendar to be just as important as anything else you might commit to throughout the year. I want submissions to reflect the love you have for EQ and the skillset you posses. I don't want rush jobs and I don't want dropouts. I want you to commit only if it will be enjoyable to you and only if you have the time.

Here are the themes that were on the last poll, minus contrasts of course.

Chiefs - Past, Present and Future
Evolution - The Then and Now of EQ
Entirely Ekuar - 12 Months of Ekuar (of course this could be 12 months of any character)
Comedy and Tragedy

Any other ideas? If so post them below. I'll give everyone until Dec 24th to add their two cents and then I'll create a poll with the theme ideas and the winner will be announced on the 1st along with the 2017 calendar. ;)

jaRf

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Fan Calendar Theme
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 04:47:00 AM »

I'm not too familiar with the past Chiefs (I haven't really read BotC, even though it should be around here collecting dust). And afaik this only covers Wolfrider chiefs. Maybe it's possible to extend to Chiefs and Leaders?

Evolution - The Then and Now of EQ
Evolution... could be interesting.
It's possible to put that into a different context. E.g. from a pure arts perspective (the gnomish / impish elves, the bw colours, the early colour print comics vs. today's final quest (that looks different, even somewhat artifical(?) sometimes)).

One could also involve the developments around ElfQuest, the anniversaries, the first fan music (Julia Ecklar) or the ELF project (enclosed laminar flames) in space, the modern spread of EQ via the internet, the movie attempts and so on.

Entirely Ekuar - 12 Months of Ekuar (of course this could be 12 months of any character)
Hehe, I even already have some idea for that one. ;)
12 months of Rayek would be great, of course, but Ekuar is close by and one could include other characters, right? :)

The downside is that all had to agree to one character for 12 months - and opinions might be diverging on that matter. But I guess if the character (let's say it's Ekuar) can also be put into relation and interaction with other characters it should be okay.

Comedy and Tragedy
How's that meant? Alternating pages (months) with a comical and a tragic scene? Or both (as a contrast ;)) in one page?

My own brainstorming doesn't say much at the moment. But I'll think about it and see if an additional idea comes to my mind.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 11:12:17 AM »

When the theme (what ever it ends up being) is official I'll post whatever rules apply to that theme. For now let's chat about other ideas for themes or which ones we like best, so I know what should go on the ballot when it comes time to vote.

I will say, Entirely Ekuar is just an idea. While I am totally up for doing a calendar with 12 months of Ekuar the idea is really more about how interesting it would be to have a calendar with 13 separate artists working with one main character. Might be a character they dislike or have never worked with, it might be their favourite character. I think it would be so interesting to see what would come of us all working in our styles with one character...loved, hated or otherwise.

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 01:28:23 PM »

I'm not sure if this has been done or suggested before, but maybe something along the lines of each month featuring a single character and depicting that character through the years? For example, Cutter as a youth, an adult, an Elder. Of course, it would require the artist to do something similar to the pinups: featuring three illos per image, but it's just a thought. I suppose that would really fall under your own proposed category of "evolution." I'll see what else I might be able to brainstorm. I just spent the last month creating microbiology themed Christmas carols for work; my brain's a bit overworked.

Or perhaps something like a reverse illo: again, using Cutter, depict him as he is (Wolfrider/Chief) and in a reverse depict him as a Sunvillager. Yes, we all know he lived there for a time, but what if he had completely embraced the lifestyle? What would he have looked like? Something along those lines. Again, I'm just thinking "aloud" as it were.

ALL ACTION! Maybe select a character or two and have them in action poses?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 01:34:51 PM by Amberfox »
I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride!

AceQuester

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 01:36:27 PM »

When I think of E.Q. I always think of the warmth, how daily life (in the forest) would be for the elves (and me in the tribe) and of humor that is in it.
With everything that's going on in the world, maybe we can do something with humor? Makes us smile? F.e. like yje one drawing jokes Wendy made long time ago. F.e. Dart who shoot into the tires of Richard's car or Wendy who accidential vacuums Clearbrooks braid.

Other idea is ElfQuest vs... (fill in the blanks... maybe E.Q vs other comics or tv-shows...?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 01:38:35 PM by AceQuester »
Warm furs and good hunting... And remember it's a Beautiful Life!

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 10:20:24 AM »

@Amberfox @AceQuester

I like your ideas but of course the calendar must remain canon, so no vacuums and no Cutter dressed as a Sun villager.  :'( However humor and action is something we can get behind. Both themes would offer a lot of variation and fun.

AceQuester

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 05:23:30 PM »

Another idea: The daily life of the characters... What do they do when they aren't on a quest or other action? That can be mixed with humor. Can be in the past but also in the F.Q. What do the elves in the palace do all day? Is Ohler gardening again? Is Redlance his teacher?
How does Freetouch make all the clothes for the tribe? What do trolls do for fun? Etc.etc.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 02:09:46 AM »

Also been churning a few things in my mind.

I don't know if we already had these as topics:

* friendship and / or enemies
(I would be surprised if there wasn't any "love couples / triangles" one, one official calendar had it. But did fan-art feature it yet?)

* mentors / teachers
(Wasn't that already suggested in the past?)

* festivals in the world of EQ
(That should be a new one; think of flood and flower, go-backs, troll drinking competitions, human fire-dances, ...)

* elves in their favourite places or with their favourite activity (hobby)

On "Evolution"
It seems we had:
2004 - Then and Now (couldn't find calendar here, haven't checked elfquest.com)
2006 - Elf Art through the Ages
Evolution can still be seen differently.

edit:
I noticed that 2003 comes close to the "festivities" one.

on 2004:
http://www.elfquestfanart.com/index.php?action=fanartcalendar
(the ones with the dates)

http://www.elfquestfanart.com/index.php?action=fanartcalendar;month=1;year=2004;type=monthly
   does bring up nothing but the title
   http://www.elfquestfanart.com/index.php?action=fanartcalendar;month=1;year=2003;type=monthly
   same here

the pure image gallery
http://www.elfquestfanart.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=5
works for 2004 and 2003.
Has no preview icon for 2007 and 2005, but both work once opened.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 02:52:39 AM by jaRf »

EyesHigh76

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 08:24:48 AM »

Have we ever done Trolls?

I was also thinking of the homes of ElfQuest. For elves, trolls, preservers, humans and maybe wolves.

And how about just portraits?

I like the idea of Chiefs a lot. Chief and or Leaders of all tribes known in ElfQuest ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:27:22 AM by EyesHigh76 »

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 01:55:48 AM »

How about "All Kids"? All characters are possible, but they have to be" kid-yfied". Or is that too far away from canon since not all characters have a kid design?

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 08:41:08 AM »

@Wildfire

I was actually just coming on to post...how about cubs. Kids, cubs same difference and it's canon all the characters were children once. We might not have seen them but it would still work so long as, lets say for example Winnowill isn't a baby with a mane of long black hair and a robe made of feathers.  ;)

Tah-Marien

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 10:50:02 PM »

Love the idea of cubs  and/or younger versions because you can choose to put more than one on a page (Drawing or Character).   I also think it would be fun to find ways to dress them so that they are recognizable from the adult versions. 

I did not throw my hat in the ring last year.   Did try to offer a last ditch help when I thought submissions were low.

I really like the little speech for the 2018 Calendar, Maggie - It hit home.  I will commit, but I will only offer what I can do well and finish.  That you asked for only and exactly what we have to offer gives me the strength to say I am not  "mainstream";  but with today's printing technology - I do not have to be.  I was so sad about what I could not do that I forgot to still offer what I could Do, until too late.  I am Sorry.    I can do better.    I do still love ElfQuest.   Serendipitousely - It seems  I have paired down my creative hours just in time.

Anyhoo . . .  Thank you for the Time you put in the Site.    The Sass you exhibit to  "wag the Grandma finger"  at us, and the Kindness you show  to offer second chances.

Also I would love to see pairs of different artist'  come together.  Example:  poem writer & line artist. (My poetry often inspires a drawing!)  story writer & graphic artist.   (lots of short fiction in fandom is so very inspiring)  background layout and artist.  (some people run out of steam after a  detailed line drawing and need help)  etc . . .

. .
OC / PC    ChangeStone  _    SweetWater Holt
http://tah-marien.deviantart.com/

Hyakurin

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 07:30:11 PM »

Hello! I am totally in for another submission for 2018!
I really like the cubs idea!
I also like the Chiefs idea but extended to leaders.
I like all action... daily life... the '3 seasons' of life young, middle age, old... humor... evolution... really I'm liking all of these ideas above. Except all of one character it feels limiting to me. Not for the artist because you may not like the character, but also the audience. Although I don't know who wouldn't like Ekuar. The more I think about it though if there are other characters involved then it shouldn't really matter that one charecter just happens to be the tie that binds... So really I'm up for anything I think!

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2016, 12:34:41 AM »

By the way: Merry Christmas (or Chanukah, generic spare time, whatever), folks! :)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 03:23:01 PM »

Yes, I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.  ;D

Just as an aside, which characters would you all like to see, if we did do 12 months with one character being featured? That way I can create two polls, one with Entirely (insert character name here) and one with the names just in case that theme is chosen.

I'm going to put up the poll this week, so let me know.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 06:38:53 AM »

off topic: Does everybody else here still receive email notifications about thread updates?

some character "suggestions" (not really a suggestion) for the 12 months of character X:

Besides the obvious Rayek :P I'm not overly eager to see or not see a specific character. There are some which I am more familiar with than others; maybe have more connection to.
Ekuar was already suggested and he'd be fine (and opportunity to throw in the unavoidable Rayek ;) ). Venka is nice, too (and same here); so is Clearbrook. Well, I better stop before I start naming all of them, and EQ is rich in the number of characters.
I think I am fine with nearly any character, especially if we're allowed to draw more than char. X and put the character in context with others. We might also use this opportunity to support some lesser known characters.

I wonder if there is any character that I'd be "against". Maybe Cutter but only because he's featured in every 2nd drawing Wendy puts out. Braids are hard to draw (e.g. Kahvi, Redlance, Teir, partially Clearbrook...) but I think I could also arrange myself with that.

PS: I just re-(?)noticed that spell check and tried it. But the dictionary it is unaware of Rayek (and other EQ-names). Bad dictionary. ;)

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 05:18:36 AM »

For the 12 months of one character, I don't really have a particular character in mind, as long as it's someone who's been (or could plausibly be) with most of the tribes. A character like Wavecatcher for example would exclude a lot of other characters/settings. So basically all original Wolfriders/all characters that travelled a lot would be good IMO.

I really like the Leaders one as well, it's ambiguous enough that a lot of characters could be the main focus. Chiefs would be cool too

AceQuester

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 08:41:08 AM »

To reply on the question about a main character for the whole year I would say: just like Wildfire said: a character from the Wolfriders that connected with other tribes would be the most appealing for me. I'm thinking of Redlance. He knew the old Wolfriders from the past (like Foxfur, Rain, Joyleaf, Shale etc.), the Wolfriders that started it all eventhough some aren't amoung the current Wolfriders (One-Eye, Woodlock, Rainsong, Wing), he knows/interacted with the Sunfolk, Jackall Wolfriders, the preservers, the trolls, the humans, the Go-Backs, the Gliders, Cutter's tribe before the long-sleep, Ember's tribe, Cutter's current tribe and the spirits of the old tribes that stayed in the Father Tree. (Pfff that's alot)
Oh and you can draw him with or without beard and he uses magic wich is also a fun  thing to use in the drawings. Well, I rest my case now ;) LOL

Have a happy new year!

Hyakurin

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 09:16:30 PM »

Oh I'm liking Redlance! All good points above someone that has been there for most of it. That allows them to be placed in different settings! Ekuar is also still good! Not totally obvious choices! Will we still be working on no Final Quest spoilers?

Cloudchaser

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 05:41:56 AM »

I'm absolutely down for doing another submission next year! This year was my first time participating, and it really rekindled my love for art again, after a few years of not being able to draw much. Twelve months of Redlance, or - as many have said before - any Wolfrider-Elder could be a really interesting take on it. To see the history unfold through the eyes of just one individual has the potential to be quite powerful.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 08:40:11 AM »

Alright, so these themes are going to be on the poll:

Evolution - The Three Seasons of Life
Entirely (insert character name here) - 12 Months of...
Comedy and Tragedy
Cubs
All Action
Daily Life
The Homes of EQ

I  have decided that we will work with the Original Quest, Siege at Blue Mountain and Kings of the Broken Wheel, should the "entirely" theme be chosen. I did some old school decision making with regards to the characters, I placed pretty much all the characters from those stories tossed them in a hat and picked 12 names at random. They will be on a separate poll, so please vote for your favourite theme and then character. We may not end up doing the "entirely" theme but better to have everything ready at the same time so you can all start working once the rules are posted for the 2018 calendar.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2016, 01:47:38 PM »

Aww, decisions. They all sound good.

> Chiefs - Past, Present and Future

Can that be regarded in a more relaxed way as Chiefs and Leaders?

> Evolution - The Three Seasons of Life

Youth / adolescence, adult, old person? Third doesn't have to be old age, right? It could also be re-formed as a different creature or High One?
Free interpretation for everyone?

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 06:22:29 AM »

I just wanted to let you all know that the calendar may be a bit late this year. I've been nursing a sick kitty for a few weeks now and he seems to have taken a possible turn for the worse. I'll try my best to get the calendar up as planned but I don't know what's going to happen today at the vet. 2016 may just get its way after all.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 11:47:08 AM »

Hang in there kitty and Maggie! And take your time.
Indeed, 2016 has been a strange year. Often tragic, for a lot of people. Well known people died, people that meant much to others and maybe also inspired them or gave them hope or a better mood - but also a lot of victims to wars and the likes.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »

Hope you all had a good start into this year (and kitteh is well, too!).
And thanks for putting the calendar on. I'll enjoy it after a good sleep.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up