Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Poll

2017 Fan Calendar Theme

Contrasts (the longest running theme idea ever)
- 13 (44.8%)
Chiefs - Past, Present and Future
- 8 (27.6%)
Evolution - The Then and Now of EQ
- 6 (20.7%)
Entirely Ekuar - 12 Months of Ekuar
- 1 (3.4%)
Comedy and Tragedy
- 1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: April 03, 2016, 11:22:25 AM

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2017 Fan Calendar Discussion  (Read 27741 times)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Fan Calendar Discussion
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2016, 01:32:12 PM »

@Berit, I'll make sure you get the correct dimensions so you can participate. ;)

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2016, 02:13:48 PM »

You sure? you have so much other stuff to do, I'd hate to shove this on your shoulders as well... and sorry if I mentioned the thing too bluntly... everyone has been asking and I'm tired circling around the subject!... but any help I can get on that part, I will be ever so grateful of it...

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »

@Berit - Nope happy to help you out, I love your artwork, so I want you to be able to toss some at the calendar this year.  ;D As for being blunt, so what? You don't do numbers, that's cool and it's better to let us know what's really going on than to have us wonder why you don't want to participate.  ;)

jaRf

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2016, 12:39:28 AM »

I participated last year.... but failed horrible, due to personal issues and a computer which crashed..... felt awefull for letting everyone down, specially Maggie!

No worries. Happens to nearly everyone once in a while.
It is called life, by the way. ;) It sometimes sucks.

I could help with crashed computers or give tips to prevent it, if needed. Not sure if I could help health issues and broken hearts or something, though. :( But hopefully that is past now...

So, if someone is willing to give me hand in the dimensions thing... I'm in!... and just to clarify, I'm not stupid or anything! I just have serious problems with numbers...

Oh, well. That's quite something. But I guess that could be helped.
Do you use paper to draw or digital art?
Because for paper we could name the format (in case of A4 we could paint the number 4 and you print it out and compare the signs in the store, but I guess you can still read them) and you could buy it in a store (or give a comparison - e.g. about as long as your underarm). Other than that we could make you an empty image file for the program you are using. E.g. just make the image file the pixel X pixel size large and send you the empty file so you can draw in it. When you finish you can send it back and one of us might do resampling if needed and exporting to JPEG.
Or, if you use paper / scanner we could give some advice or you even send the paper (though it might need folding) to someone to scan. (Though I only have A4 scanners, no A3 (A3 is two A4 papers besides each other, so double size)).

> inch vs. metric system

Do they still use these non-SI units in the United States so much?  ::)

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 12:54:47 AM by jaRf »

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2016, 01:30:25 AM »

I use a scanner, usually I draw lineart by hand, but color stuff in GIMP... but sometimes I color stuff with markers or wood colors, you name it... it's all up to inspiration! but yeah, all that stuff you just said to me sounds more than a little complicated... I was thinking if I could just draw, (I scan big images so I can fix some issues if something is wrong) so I though that would it be too much of an hassle if someone just re sized it?... all I need to know is if the picture is supposed to be shaped like a square, tall or wide... I think I could manage it then... (best would be if there was some sort of visual reference) I'm sorry to bother people with this thing, but I seriously can't get the hang of it...

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2016, 01:44:49 AM »

... Or I could try doing fully computer stuff... hahah! it wouldn't be that good looking, but it would be the simplest solution! besides, it would be interesting experiment for me as well!... so if you have any suggestions, I'm always ready to try!...

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2016, 03:10:13 AM »

I think you should draw with what you are comfortable with, so if it's traditionally on paper, we should work out a way for you to get the right size on paper. I could print a border with the right proportions on an A4, like I do for myself, and send you one? The shape is a landscape oriented rectangle (so wide, rather than tall). If that is enough for you to know, you could always scan your picture extra big, so someone else can crop it to the right size afterwards without quality loss.

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2016, 03:31:42 AM »

Berit, don't worry about it, we're all happy to help, the Calendar isn't supposed to make anyone feel left out! The resizing thing sounds doable, doing the lineart, sending it to someone for resizing, and then colouring wouldn't be make for much of a difference. 

Alternatively a collaboration might be an option? Someone doing the lineart and you colouring (or since it seems that Contrast is winning, each person doing their half of the image) I'm always game for collaborations, so if you want that give me a shout :)

AceQuester

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2016, 05:11:27 AM »

I'm in for a new calendar:)
Warm furs and good hunting... And remember it's a Beautiful Life!

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2016, 06:44:38 AM »

collaboration might be an option

That's an interesting thought. We had this in the past occasionally, but here it might offer new possibilities. The question is how is it done? Someone doing the lineart and the other one colouring (though lineart needed to be done in time, so there is still capacity for colouring). Or each one creates one half of the picture: That would be two different styles in one image - but a contrast as well.

Tah-Marien

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2016, 10:57:52 AM »

Here we GO !    Only 24 Members voting ?  Well . . .   interesting, especially since such wonderful ideas came out at the last minute.   Voted.

@Maggie - I could so see a calendar with Ekuar, especially since we know what he and his companions looked like when they tried to enter the castle/home place together.  Slowly seeing him loosing body parts in progression,  through out the year, might just sadden me though ! 

@Berit - Don't worry !  We all have hiccups in our make-up.  I cannot subtract numbers, no problem with Algebra or any higher Maths, but I cannot subtract unless I ask myself " What plus 5 equals 8. Answer 3." Instead of 8-5; can't do it.  (In trade I kick a** at  Blackjack/21.)  We learn to compensate heh?  This Time let some fan mates help you NP.

Thank you to those who have voted.  So many more than last year - Yay!
OC / PC    ChangeStone  _    SweetWater Holt
http://tah-marien.deviantart.com/

Tah-Marien

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2016, 11:08:18 AM »

p s    If contrasts wins someone will just have to explain it to me a little further.   It seems like opposites on the same page ?  and then I read more and it seeems like characters drawn as other tribes ?
OC / PC    ChangeStone  _    SweetWater Holt
http://tah-marien.deviantart.com/

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2016, 12:16:26 PM »

Yes, good to see some action here. :)

For the not unlikely case that the contrasts topic wins I'd explain it as a broad freedom (as I said above). Imagine the possibilities.
You could have, and that is likely, an elf-elf contrast. Since we all love Rayek (We do, don't we?!) e.g.
Rayek vs. Venka (brooding, temper vs. relaxed mood, calm, cool minded)
Rayek vs. Mender (sometimes similar in temper, but different in their appearance / phenotype)
Shenshen vs. Leetah (sisters, but still full of contrast)
Even Rayek early Sorrow's End time vs. Rayek later in the story gives a contrast.
But you could also see a human elf contrast, wolves, preservers. Mix in whatever comes to your mind.
Even landscapes of desert vs. deep green forests would be a contrast (one could merge this in a background).
Or have a collaboration with two different art styles.
I think it really offers vast freedom of choice.

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »

True, not just characters could be involved in the contrasting part! Thinking of an obvious one; the Wolfriders in the desert, all sunburned because their skin is not used to so much sun.
We did opposite images next to each other before (then and now), but I'd rather not do that. I'd like to search for contrast within one image. A hardened warrior such as Kahvi, gently breastfeeding Venka, for example.

Marsel

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2016, 01:23:52 AM »

'Evolution - The Then and Now of EQ' is very interesting theme because it allow us to imagine evolution of elves and their way can reflect our own evolution. It can help us to understand what path to choose.

Maybe it sounds strange but I believe that part of people can live in forests and deny using gadgets and so on. World is changing, new energies are coming and some of us can even collaborate with plants and trees like Redlance. This way of thinking and living should be considered as possible way of our evolution as well.

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2016, 04:45:37 AM »

One contrast that immediately popped into my mind was Snow country and the Sun village. One colored in warn light and the other in cold light. And Jethel, an elf leading a band of misfit kids.
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2016, 09:56:52 AM »

Voting is almost over.  ;D

I will be posting the guidelines for whichever theme wins sometime tomorrow, so we can all get started on our submissions. Please don't start anything until you've read the "rules", as a few additional guidelines are going to be added this year.  ;)

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2016, 08:32:53 AM »

For those who were looking for an email notification of a change in thread...
look here:
http://www.elfquestfanart.com/index.php?topic=411.0

Yavia

• Tuftear
  • Master of Comedic Arts
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2016, 02:39:05 PM »

Contrasts? :o
Really?
Finally?
No way!

Call me in!
I can't say no after all that time.  ;D
I'm not conceited with my title - it's just how it is  ;D

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2016, 11:26:15 AM »

Heh!

Just let me know your characters and your contrast so I can add you to the list Yavia!

Maggie
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up