Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Poll

2017 Fan Calendar Theme

Contrasts (the longest running theme idea ever)
- 13 (44.8%)
Chiefs - Past, Present and Future
- 8 (27.6%)
Evolution - The Then and Now of EQ
- 6 (20.7%)
Entirely Ekuar - 12 Months of Ekuar
- 1 (3.4%)
Comedy and Tragedy
- 1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: April 03, 2016, 11:22:25 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 2017 Fan Calendar Discussion  (Read 27740 times)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
2017 Fan Calendar Discussion
« on: February 01, 2016, 01:39:29 PM »

To calendar or not to calendar...that is the question.

Just wondering how many of you would like to continue with the fan calendar?

Treefox

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Fan Calendar Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 04:22:45 AM »

A very just question... I would always try take part, however, considering the waning interest in the calendar and all the work you put into it...
Is it really still worth it? It would be sad to see it go, though...
Still, if you want to do another one, I would be in.  :D

Wintergreen

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 02:14:08 AM »

I would definitely participate.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:58:41 AM »

Personal interest:
I'd be for a calendar. Looking at the crystal ball I can't really determine exactly the amount of spare time in the future. For me it is always a matter of time. Last year was one of the busiest in my life, so I had to keep my fingers calm in regard to art. Well, luckily that is behind me, but my future is somewhat uncertain, got to find a job and so on, that can result in all sorts of outcome.

If I have the time I'd be glad to practise some art.

Possible public lack of interest:
Is that so? Well, the calendar is for sale on redbubble, which is the official EQ merchandis platform now. I don't know if that was the case in the past always. So that's something I'd say.
Some interested people might just have a busy / hard time in life (like me past year).

It does lack a bit the promotion of the central elfquest.com forum, maybe. Of course we can't complain about a lack of interest - unless we promote it a bit here and there. E.g. fathertree holt seems rather well visited. So first give people a little time to see the message here, but we should also promote it on different platforms / places. I have no connection to facebook but I know that a lot of people today are putting their web-related mental focus there. Are there ElfQuest fan groups on DeviantArt, maybe? I know some here have a DA account, too. Other platforms (I think the elfwood is still alive somehow) maybe?

Relatively open topics for a calendar might be attractive to artists that feel a bit uncertain with a very set environment / specifications. Or do some people prefer very clear instructions? I don't know, but maybe there are points that scare people.

Pyreite

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 05:41:34 PM »

On a personal level, ten years ago I would have been all over the calendar like white on rice.  Now?  Meh, not so much, although it has made me curious about how they're doing the Final Quest.  I mean I was surprised by a few revelations about Teir, Windkin, Kahvi, and Venka.

Publically, well, the EQ Calendar was in my experience at least more widely advertised on the EQ website for years, but since they changed the site, which is a nightmare to navigate now, I  haven't seen much of it there if at all.

I only know about it because of the EQFA forums.

Also as for the Calendar, well, I never got involved because my own art I felt was never up to Calendar standard.  The past and present ones are just beautiful.  Compared to that I make chicken scratch.  T___T.  Also I am terrible at deadlines, backgrounds are evil, and I'm lazy at colouring.

May the Calendar for EQ live long and prosper!

~ Pyre

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 02:44:38 AM »

I did see mentions of the calendar on the official FB page. But indeed, AFTER it was already done, so yes, promoting the start for 2017 sounds like a good idea.

I myself prefer themes, rather than assignments. I prefer to have the freedom to choose who I draw, but to be inspired by a few words (theme) to determine a scene in my head.

Pyreite, many have combined efforts in the past. You could draw the characters, and someone else could do the background, or someone else could color. Don't feel limited.

Tah-Marien

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 09:18:13 AM »

AMAZING!  The calendar is just beautiful - mine was unwrapped and  in my greedy little hands today (gift) and the card stock is great quality and the colors are wonderful.  Online viewing can not really compare to the depth and detail you see when you can look , touch and examine every little shade and shadow.

Just Wow. 

My vote is too continue.  I would understand , however, the need to make sure that fans are interested.  And that we have enough Artists to step up for the Job.
OC / PC    ChangeStone  _    SweetWater Holt
http://tah-marien.deviantart.com/

Tah-Marien

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:25:32 AM »

P. S.  -  can we please get the 2016 Calendar to come up when I choose the {Fan Art Calendar} on the site tool bar ? 
OC / PC    ChangeStone  _    SweetWater Holt
http://tah-marien.deviantart.com/

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 05:08:12 PM »

I am so in ! I may not be as active as I was but I will ALWAYS dooble for this fan calendar!

Pyreite

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 10:05:14 PM »

I did see mentions of the calendar on the official FB page. But indeed, AFTER it was already done, so yes, promoting the start for 2017 sounds like a good idea.

I myself prefer themes, rather than assignments. I prefer to have the freedom to choose who I draw, but to be inspired by a few words (theme) to determine a scene in my head.

Pyreite, many have combined efforts in the past. You could draw the characters, and someone else could do the background, or someone else could color. Don't feel limited.

Me limited?

Never.

Nah I'm only just starting to really get into full body illos which is what usually the EQ calendar has.  I need more practice in the mean time.  Finally catching my stride and confidence too.  Prolly depending on the theme for the new calendar, if there is one, I'd volunteer to art.  Likely drawing charas rather than backgrounds or colouring.  I'm more interested in capturing the form than aesthetics.  So the drawing part is pretty damned easy. 

Colouring, meh, I'll get there eventually.

~ Pyre

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 04:15:37 AM »

Oops, I think I might have chosen the wrong wording for my post. What I meant is not public interest, but interest from the artists who should participate. It's getting harder and harder finding enough artists who want to hand something for the calendar.
Whether it is publicly praised or not doesn't matter that much too me. I do it for fun, for the great collaboration going on here and to have all that nice art on my wall.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 06:17:44 AM »

Though: More public interest in general (or at least awareness of a calendar) = more potential artists.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 10:40:39 AM »

I personally would like to continue with the calendar. I enjoy it and it's one of the main reasons I took over running the site all those years back. I didn't want to see it go by the wayside.

I feel if there's no calendar then there isn't as much point to keeping the site going as there is when we all try to collectively share our love of EQ, even if it just once a year.  ;D I feel like that makes up for the fact that we aren't always able to post artwork here on a regular basis.

That being said, I want peoples honest view on this. I am paying to keep the site running, which is fine if there's something to look forward to, like the calendar but not as much if there's little to no interest.  ;)

I'm all for going back to themes, I wanted to try assigning months etc. as it seemed to make a bit more sense if only because not as many people participate and I wanted to get a well rounded selection of characters but if themes are preferred we can go back to that.

So, let's discuss a few themes (providing there are at least 12 of you who want in on this).

It would be great to get a few theme ideas that we all like, that way once we've decided on a theme we can all have quite a bit of time to work on entries this year. Which should help those of you with very little time on your hands.

Also, the cover. I know it has almost always been the case that the person organizing the calendar does the cover but I would be just as happy to take a month and let someone else have the honor. But I don't want to put someone on the spot at all, I know doing the cover can be a bit of a task, given that you have to find a way to represent the theme in the best way possible.

Still I think it would be nice to rotate that job but I wanted to see how you feel about it.

Pyreite

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 03:19:59 PM »

There's the rub isn't it?

Anyone can write about EQ, but not everyone can draw, which is required for the Calendar.

I'll see what comes up in the theme this time around before leaping in.

~ Pyre
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 03:28:33 PM by Pyreite »

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 12:29:03 AM »

Cover:
Um, well, yes. But then aren't you some kind of arts teacher, Maggie? You know, that makes you automatically the person to do it. :)
Well, seriously, it should maybe somebody with an overview about things, some experience, some art skill AND the skill to get something like this done quickly.
As an alternative one could possibly think of a collaboration (wasn't last December a collab?) but that would probably mean a mix of styles in one image with sharp transitions between them.

Topics for the calendar:
It would probably be good to check what topics we already had in past calendars, just in case we don't want to repeat something.

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 10:27:34 AM »

We have to do Contrasts. ;)

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 09:01:53 AM »

Ah, Contrasts. I remember. I probably even voted for that in the past years.
Offers thousands of opportunities.

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 03:35:25 PM »

I almost feel that since we have voted on contrasts but declined it so often, we need to do it at an anniversary.  ;)
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 08:42:19 AM »

If I am not mistaken it should be 14th anniversary now. Good enough for me. :)

Just think of all the contrasts:
Rayek <-> Cutter
Rayek <-> Ekuar
Rayek <-> Venka
Rayek <-> Rayek (Through the ages of development. Awesome! Rayek double feature! ;) )
Leetah <-> Shenshen
Moonshade <-> Picknose (I think that is some contrast, isn't it?)
Teir <-> Mender (they both share a connection but are also different)
Leetah or Shenshen <-> Clearbrook (dark, tanned, more of the lively kind, full of temper vs. the calm type of Clearbrook (or Venka) and also the phenotypical difference (pale))
Sunstream <-> Ember (same parents but very different in temper)
Kahvi <-> Venka
some wolf-companion <-> Preserver
landscape of the plains <-> blue mountain
and so on.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 04:14:05 PM »

Ahh...Contrasts!

I'll tell you what if no one comes up with any other theme ideas we'll go with Contrasts but I'm scared that if we do the world might end...haha. It's been on the list for a heck of a lot of years and we've never done it.

Also @ Pyre - we used to have poetry along with the artwork, if others are open to it we could add it back in.

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 04:00:04 AM »

Haha, I already have an idea taking shape in my head now. ;D

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 01:37:42 AM »

I also want to say: contrasts!!  :lol
Hopefully, I will be able to come up with something that isn't pure cliché...  ;)

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 10:18:14 AM »

I mean, it would be fun? We always want to do it, so maybe this is it!
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 09:22:26 AM »

I'm all in for the Calendar! It's the only time of the year that I can be CERTAIN of getting something decent EQ art done, even if it's at the last minute. And I vote for Contrasts, too! :D

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 12:15:51 PM »

I'm always gonna say "heck yes" to the calendar/no calendar question but I agree, promoting it (on Facebook, DeviantArt, other EQ forums etc) should probably be done more! I feel like I always see folks going "oh I didn't even know this was a thing" when they see the published calendar.

Actually doing Contrasts after all these years would be so weird though :D
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up