Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Character references?  (Read 4823 times)

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
Character references?
« on: February 22, 2016, 10:36:21 AM »

Whenever I'm drawing for the calendar or for fun, the most of my time is spent on finding proper reference images of the elves. I like to draw characters that aren't that popular, but they don't have much reference material online. Even the popular ones are hard to find! The wikis and such usually only have a portrait, and sometimes not even that. I like to draw full bodies, so I need to see the whole character, not just his/her face. Most of the time I end up getting lost at elfquest.com's digital comics section, since I don't own any copies of the comics. And to find the character you're looking for, if you don't know in which issue he/she appears... it's a pain!

So, where do you guys get your references for the elves?
And, is there a place where references could be dumped/added?

It's a kind of waste, if I spend a lot of time finding references for a certain piece of art, and after that the material just keeps collecting dust in my folders when it could be useful to somebody.  :-\

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
Re: Character references?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:45:46 AM »

I get all references from my physical collection, easiest and quickest way for me to look it up. Indeed just what you seem to be missing...
If you decide on a character, you could always ask here for people to look them up, post scans or refer to the right page in the digital comics..?

jaRf

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 01:04:17 PM »

I too have quite a physical collection but sometimes I just remember about where I could have seen something and then I look it up online. Because as you said, Czarine, the wikis et cetera often contain little reference and your best chances are the comics. Art books, gatherums and so on... well, the some do feature several characters but sometimes you look for a specific outfit at a certain time or even a pose. And for poses I sometimes check other references. I don't own one of these little wooden dolls, so I have to look for photos how something looks in reality. Or one has to pose yourself, you know, if you can't find something quickly. Though you have to translate it a bit back to Elfquest body proportions - and I rather fit the classic Tolkien elf or even a high one, but not the EQ wolfrider type.
I spent a good part of time finding an idea (though it sometimes just hits me) and then the major part on undusting my "skills", putting the tech together, and then, well, drawing, colouring and never being satisfied with the result and ending up in correcting. And that is a benefit of vectors, it's never as easy to draw like using a pencil or a tablet plus pixel graphics, but you can correct the hell out of it. :)

The new art book (Kickstarter one) contains a couple of characters and art pieces but I'm not sure if it is sorted at all or if it has an index so you could look for a specific character.

It would probably be helpful to make a collection with a list of characters, their outfits and some of their mane facial expressions and some typical poses.

edit: the figures and busts. Not always a full body reference but... it's a possibility.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:13:50 PM by jaRf »

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 02:39:15 PM »

For quick reffrences, I'd suggest elfeneyes gallery; http://www.elfquestfanart.com/index.php?action=profile;u=8;area=aeva. For body variations it might be better to go to the comics, but it is a gold mine.
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 01:24:54 PM »

I could help with some material about the Go-backs at least, but it all depends on what stuff people are looking for... but it sure would be nice to have a reference post, I just don't know if it would be ok to post Pini's original art here...

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 06:38:34 AM »

Elfeneyes gallery is pretty amazing yes!
On the Scroll there was a "request references" thread which was hugely helpful, people would help direct you towards issues most likely to contain what you were looking for or even post images in the thread itself. Doing something similar on here (especially for the calendar) would be neat!

I don't think there's any issue with posting Pini art on here, as long as it's not reposts of entire issues.

AceQuester

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 01:28:18 PM »

In the Big Gatherum the faces of the female Wolfriders from the O.Q. and several body types (cub, female muscular, feminine, male twink, butch, troll) are in it. Even a few characters like Strongbow and Old Maggoty are drawn in it from several angles.

I also use poses from other elves for my drawings. :)
Warm furs and good hunting... And remember it's a Beautiful Life!
Pages: [1]   Go Up