Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Official Elfquest Forum Refugee topic  (Read 17625 times)

Velouria

• Treewee
    • View Profile
The Official Elfquest Forum Refugee topic
« on: March 24, 2015, 06:44:57 AM »

Hello everyone, sorry to drop in on you like this! But it appears that the powers that be have decided to kill off the official Elfquest forum and replace it with a possibility to comment on the posts on their "news" page. This is of course no replacement for a proper forum. I must say I'm absolutely heart broken by this.
So I came here looking for a place where my fanarts and comments are welcome. I hope you are okay with that...And maybe some of my friends will join me, if I can reach them? Thanks!

Velouria

• Treewee
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Elfquest Forum Refugee topic
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 07:16:38 AM »

Looks like all the character smilies I made for them are gone too. Somebody could have had the decency to tell me they were unneeded. There are a lot of them, maybe there is a place for them here?

Treefox

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 07:38:05 AM »

I am also absolutely heart-broken by this news. I still cannot believe it... While Maggie should decide in the end what we should and can use here, I think it is safe to say that you are all welcome here! While I really am sad that this place might strive due to the shut down of the forums, I sure would like to see this place with a little bit more life in it. :)
And btw. I love the smilies your created! One point that actually made me think of actively participating in the SoC again. They shouldn't go to waste.

Velouria

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:40:20 AM »

I do still hope in my hearts that this is an impulsive decision and mr. Pini changes his mind about this. But until then, this looks like a lovely place! let's liven it up a little!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:43:38 AM by Velouria »

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 07:43:50 AM »

Actually, I also hope that the SoC will be revived...

Velouria

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 08:10:34 AM »

the smilies are a little tricky though. I think Rob made the first set, and after that I made lots more, but some are modified and animated based on ones he made. I do not want to infringe on his copyright, so I guess I can only post the ones I made from scratch here?

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 08:42:12 AM »

Wow.  I have to say, I'm pretty surprised by that move!  Not that I doubt that maintaining the EQ.com forum was a lot of work (and I saw someone comment about "less than savory stuff" happening somewhere, or behind the scenes, that may have precipitated the closing? I wonder what that was?).  But it just seems so abrupt! 

I do sort of have to say that I won't miss the EQ.com forum itself -- the new one, I mean, and I'm mainly speaking about the format.  I found it really user-unfriendly, and for that reason I kind of stopped going there for most things.

But I completely understand that there were people who liked it and used it, and they're now bereft of a community.  :(

I hope that some find this place a good substitute!  Right now, it doesn't "do" all of the things that the EQ.com forum did, but I imagine it could expand a little to accommodate some of those activities.

I wonder if anyone will try to create a fan-run "general ElfQuest" forum.  The fact that Scroll of Colors / the EQ.com forum always had the official stamp of WaRP (and sometimes-participation from RP) was nice, but it seems to me that it wasn't necessarily *the* thing that people valued about the community. 

Blackbird

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 09:19:42 AM »

I just started to get back to the forums, and now it's gone :-/ Or gone in the way I like. Hope many more join this place. This is were I started out, a long time before I joined the scrolls, wow...don't even remember my nick anymore, but think it was Crescent or something with crescent. Is Foxeye still around?:)

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »

This seems extremely sudden, I really don't get why they'd close it, especially with no prior warning :( I never quite got the hang of the new layout so I haven't used it all that much in the past years but I lurked occasionally

Leanan

• AdultSwim
  • Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 10:06:05 AM »

I'm another refugee... really saddened by this and shocked by the suddenness of it.

I'm going to be a lot more active here from now on, and at least now I have a good reason to finally get around to transferring all my fanfics to this site (and to fanfiction.net too because their EQ section could use more activity...)

Oh, and as far as I am concerned the smileys I created can be used here or anywhere else. But I did copy the smiley template from the EQ forum so I might not have full copyright to the smileys... *insert blushing Zhantee here*

Hello everyone!

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 10:21:19 AM »

@Blackbird, were you EQCrescent? And yeah, Foxeye pops in occasionally, but Maggie's running the site and the Calendar now

@Leanan, you might want to look into archiveofourown.org for your fanfics, their layout is far better than fanfiction.net IMO, but they're still in beta. I requested some invitations and hopefully that'll go through in case people want to sign up there

Leanan

• AdultSwim
  • Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 10:36:46 AM »

Thanks for the advice, Wildfire!

I just looked in on my old fanfics topic here... for some reason I can't find the story I posted there... just the first line of each chapter is showing...

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »

I sort of understand the decision, from a workload standpoint.  If they're allowing comments on website posts, they'll have to moderate that to some extent.  It would be interesting to know how many active uses the forum had and how much of a moderating job was involved there.  It's definitely work and time, and I can understand that perhaps something had to go.

And I suppose it's possible that the suddenness was just a factor of wanting to do it, not wanting to have people endlessly debate it.  (Although there is certainly a discussion about it in the post's comments.)  Since the forum is archived and visible, people didn't lose what they had posted, I guess?  So a warning wasn't necessary from a "save all your stuff before it goes away" standpoint.

But yeah, it seems a little unfriendly to users who used it as a community.

Tynami

• Zwoot
  • Nutty SeaElf
    • View Profile
    • Kat's Legends Dollhouse
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 11:33:45 AM »

If this is an April Fools joke I'm going to freak out... hope it is, but it's not at the same time. Would be SO harsh. For anyone who's an EQ doller from the threads on there, I've had http://elvenholt.twilightlegend.net/ open for ages so ya'll can post over there.

Blackbird

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 11:51:29 AM »

@Blackbird, were you EQCrescent? And yeah, Foxeye pops in occasionally, but Maggie's running the site and the Calendar now

Yeah, I think that is what it was, but it's been so long, and this account was made already in 09, and before that I was gone for a while, so my memory is a little rusty :)
Aha, remember Foxeye's fanfic (and art ) her Crescent stories was amazing.

Tam

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 12:27:29 PM »

I hope membership will increase as well. I get the reasoning for closing the Scroll, but I am heartbroken by it, and I think it's been handled just...so poorly. Some of us are congregating at http://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/ and some are coming here...I'm hoping we can have just one or two sites for everything. :( I know it's a huge job, moderating so many...so maybe it's not possible. But I don't know if I have the energy to keep up one site for one thing and another site for another thing, and Facebook, and the new "Scroll," and...*sighs* All that. I'm confident the fans will recover, it's just gonna take some time.

EyesHigh76

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 12:57:45 PM »

Too many sites isn't good either... but at least we can meet. Hopefully it will not be too much if and when there will be more and more members.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 04:00:39 PM »

Hello all,

I'm sorry to hear about the scroll, I never really spent much time there but I understand how losing familiar things can really cause the stress levels to rise. It's a feeling I know well, which is why I wanted to take over here when Foxeye decided it was time to take her leave.

The place may be a little old and dusty, not nearly as sophisticated as the EQ.com site but I hope all you "strays" will make yourself at home here and please rest assured this site isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Maggie

rob

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 04:56:15 PM »

the smilies are a little tricky though. I think Rob made the first set, and after that I made lots more, but some are modified and animated based on ones he made. I do not want to infringe on his copyright, so I guess I can only post the ones I made from scratch here?

I would hope they could be free for anyone to use wherever they like. Perhaps we can release them under a creative commons license?

Here is a zip of the set: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=87144479504885842000

Tam

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »

Hello all,

I'm sorry to hear about the scroll, I never really spent much time there but I understand how losing familiar things can really cause the stress levels to rise. It's a feeling I know well, which is why I wanted to take over here when Foxeye decided it was time to take her leave.

The place may be a little old and dusty, not nearly as sophisticated as the EQ.com site but I hope all you "strays" will make yourself at home here and please rest assured this site isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Maggie

Thank you, Maggie. <3

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 01:36:18 AM »

That's way to kill a community or split it into a lot of little shards. First there were changes every year to the forum software and now killing it kind of completely. Unannounced. Wow. That sucks. And then selling it as a feature, not a bug. Why? I also didn't see technical reasons.

But then, if it helps things here...

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 03:03:24 AM »

I would hope they could be free for anyone to use wherever they like. Perhaps we can release them under a creative commons license?

Wow, Rob that is very generous! Hopefully we'll get them to work, I'd looove that!

Velouria

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 05:10:18 AM »

Where does he say that?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 10:24:14 AM »

Quote from: blackbird
. Is Foxeye still around?:)

What Wildfire said. :)  I lurk and sometimes mutter a non-sequiter or two.

To be honest, I still haven't recovered from mourning the loss of the old blue-gray Scroll of Colors site. It was such a lovely, sprawling, easy-to-use online home. 

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 01:40:00 AM »

Yes, the old scroll was quite fine. It worked and go the job done. But they had to throw everything over yearly and that sucks. Constant changes and rearrangements is nothing most people like. Especially when old threads, artwork and so on get lost. It's insensitive to rip down everything, especially unannounced.

And then (Elfmom speaks):

"Nothing like cleaning house and paring down the clutter..."

Oh well. From the few comments that go through censorship I see I am not the only one who thinks that these words are mischosen.

"I can tell I’m going to have fun participating once again. In fact, I’ve already come up with some ideas for blog posts I want to make in the coming days"

WTF? Like she couldn't have done that while the forums were intact?
It would definitely not have needed to kick an age old community in the stomach.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up