Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tell us about yourself  (Read 15876 times)

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Tell us about yourself
« on: April 16, 2014, 04:41:28 PM »

Hahaha! Yeah! kinda though people might want to tell something about themselves, so here! I made a post about it! I usually avoid these kinds of post but... in here... in all honestly... I love you guys... and I don't mind knowing about you... and being a hermit who simply hates all human life... except you... that tells a great deal how great you guys are, since I like everyone of you... Ahem... but all the mushiness aside (and no, I'm not drunk!)... let's get on with the thing... so those here who want to tell about themselves go ahead!...

Amberfox

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Tell us about yourself
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 05:58:19 PM »

Ayooooooooooooah Berit! Well, you know me from our email, but I'll jump in and help out with this thread. I am a state microbiologist in the USA and have been hopelessly addicted to Elfquest for many years. I used to have a large gaming group, but as time would have it, we eventually moved all over the world and lost touch with one another. We would literally game all weekend long, watching each gamer slowly drop off from lack of sleep (and running out of Mountain Dew - hey Tah-Marien!). At the moment, there is little I can do except go to work and come home to take care of my injured knees from the car accident back in 2011. I have a parrot that's my spoiled rotten baby, but in the past I've had a dog, turtles, fish, rabbits, snakes, other birds, even a very large praying mantis. I collect shiny bladed weapons and bows. I'll keep this short and maybe others will jump in and really get some interaction.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride!

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:13:19 PM »

Heyaaa! nice to see ya! I really do hope your knees get better... it's sad that we don't currently have a healer in this holt... I've been having some health issues as well... and that game group falling a part... I know that feeling too well... but don't think that you are left in the shadows alone... we are here and many of us can relate to that feeling! hahah! so let us sing our songs of sorrow and joy together!... Ayooooooh! to Amberfox many-blades! the sister of the Parrot!...

Starskimmer

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:26:27 PM »

I work as a free-lance artist from time to time, primarily doing stained glass/ art glass windows and doors. I'd say it was really cool, but most of the time it's just iterations of geometric patterns, and a whole lot of basic math (lucky for me Geometry and Trigonometry were my best math subjects).

I am mycophobic, meaning I'm terrified/repulsed by fungus. I can eat mushrooms, I like them on pizza even, but I if I encounter a ring of toadstools there's a good chance I'd crawl into a fetal position and cry in a corner somewhere (and have done). If it's dead, I can deal with it, so mushrooms in food don't bother me much, but encountering wild, growing fungus creeps me out to an irrational level.

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:45:34 PM »

Heya Starskimmer! glass art! that's one I haven't tired before, and sounds pretty cool! however I'm bad with anything that has to do with numbers! Oh, I've met few other mycophobic people before, I personally love mushrooms more than flowers. but phobias are real things, as long as you don't feel like it's controlling your life, it's alright. I had a weird little phobia as well, I was afraid of beehives, not bees... pretty weird, no? attacking swarm of been wasn't so scary than an empty hive... I bothered me because it was quite hard going in the woods and getting scared of every goddamn beehive! so I got over this fear by forcing myself to poke some hives... (found out too late few of them wasn't empty!) but now it's not so bad anymore, I actually like staring at hives... thank you for sharing! Ayoooooh! to Starskimmer! the glass-shaper! the one who understands numbers!...

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 01:29:19 AM »

Oh, wow, stained and art glass? That really does sound really interesting! Not to worry, no matter what, every job has its tediousness and boredom. The question is, do you enjoy your job in general?

You'd hate my job. There are times I have to work in the mycology lab and I have to grow fungus, pick it (with implements, not my hands), prep it on a slide, and test it for just what fungus it might be. I don't know if you could survive a "lid-lifter;" a fungus that grows rapidly and literally expands to the point to lift the lid of the agar plate. To add to the icky icky factor, I work in a clinical lab and nearly all the fungi, molds, and yeasts are from human sources (body fluids, skin, internal organs, etc). As for mushrooms, I avoid them like the plague. Growing mushrooms outside are no problem, but I just have a hard time even imagining ingesting them. Blech.

But I'm mortified of the dread, evil hypodermic needle. A doctor mentions blood letting or an injection of some sort and I break out instantly in an ice cold sweat. Math has much the same effect on me. Numbers and I are incompatible and are not on speaking terms. I can manage geometry if I work at it very hard but not much else.

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 04:06:40 AM »

Actually, this is working out better than I planned! I think it's good that people are open with their fears here... that helps us all understand each other better! Ayooooh! for the brave ones who openly admit these things! (patting myself on the back as well, shame on me!) but I must say that fungus sounds interesting! rapidly growing things are fascinating!...

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 08:24:26 AM »

Well, for me, needles have been a source of extreme pain. Doctors have had to draw blood from my carotid artery because they can't get it from my arms. In fact, I have had many a time when I would stumble out of a laboratory with multiple holes in both arms. This started when I was about 7. It wasn't until several years ago a phlebotomist figured out she could tap the back of my hand. Nowadays I tell the phlebotomist (and/or tech) they have one chance and one chance only to syphon my blood before I walk out with as few bruises as possible.

Starskimmer

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 09:50:04 AM »

Haha I know the pain of needles. I had an anesthesiologist try and tap me about 8 times when I went into labor. My arms were so bruised I could barely hold my newborn. Usually takes a 22 gauge to hit my veins, but I know where my good ones are. I'm pretty proficient with needles myself, have stuck others for I Vs as well as been stuck a bunch myself. They don't phase me much.

In high school I was really into microbiology,  but that dream ended when I took chemistry. I'd probably be better at it now, but I barely pulled a passing grade in that class, which was traumatizing for a previously straight A student. And my teacher was full of horror stories about Organic Chemistry, and so I decided the sciences were not for me. Probably just as well. Watching over bacteria or fungi cultures sounds awful. 

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 02:05:37 AM »

Must have been painful! here it's the same, some of the nurses cannot take blood samples without poking me full of holes... and some of them are very good at it... the worst one I had actually managed to cut me with the needle so that blood came poring out and then she got into a panic... I had to calm her while I was still bleeding, none the less. I actually can't blame her, it turned out that no one ever taught her how it was done before ordering her to do it!... I blame her superiors for that. after the panic she started crying, poor girl... but I personally don't mind needles that much, they have taken so many blood samples from me that I've grown used to it...

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 11:39:01 AM »

My veins just seize up, roll, or collapse when they try to draw blood. I've had very few in my lifetime that could stab me once and get blood the first time. When I was young, the phlebotomist/doctor/tech/nurse would stick me, no blood would come out, so instead of trying again, they'd just poke the needle around in my arm. When that didn't work, they'd stab me again...and again...and again. I used to leave a lab with about eight holes in one arm and five in the other. Even then there was just enough blood in one tube to stain the base of the hypodermic.

I don't have to watch over cultures, but I do have to plant them on various other media and periodically check for growth (then prepare and read a slide or whatever else needs to be done). Lid lifters can grow literally overnight and you have to decontaminate the lab if they do manage to pop the lid. Raw specimens (straight off the patient) must be dealt with daily; takes up to four hours: prep work, smearing slides, reading said slides, planting on various media... If it means anything, I wasn't good at chemistry, either. Too much math, and math and I are not on speaking terms. My organic professor was a serious chemistry nazi; if you didn't know it like her, you'd fail. My inorganic professor actually tried to teach you about the subject. Sadly, I was excited about biochemistry, but guess who taught it - that's right! Hitler's illegitimate daughter. I decided to skip on it shortly after the class started. I think it says a lot when the class starts off with a dozen students and ends up with one.

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 01:42:11 AM »

Whoa! So much fungi going around! Well, I do like them, actually. :D

Hmm, I'm the kind of person they would probably call "forever studying", because I have been hopping from school to another my whole life. I have studied Art Education in the University of Lapland, but I didn't like it, so after six years I moved on. Then I studied animation in polytechnic and graduated as an animator (yay!), and now I'm studying game design for a year in an educational institute in Helsinki. After my studies end, I wish to find a job in the game industry or similar. I've also studied design in Japan for a year as an exchange-student, and last spring I went to Yokohama for two months to study japanese language and manga.

Random things about me:
- I've lived most of my life in the countryside, but I think I like living in a city better.
- I like green tea, also in ice-cream.
- I fear corpses (because they migth turn undead), driving in traffic and relationships.
- I like vampires and macabre things with tragedy.
- I like to make paper crafts and do bookbinding.
- I also like to renovate and build stuff. I would like to build an off-grid tiny house.

Nice to get to know you. :)

Starskimmer

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 08:35:26 AM »

Finland is pretty awesome. I haven't been there since I was a little kid, but we have very close family friends in Ristiina and Helsinki. I've been looking into our local Suomi-Koulo organization to take my son (and myself!). We were hoping to make a trip out there this summer but there are just too many other things on our schedule. Finland is a country we'd consider moving to. I remember it being pretty rural there so I presume pursuing a gaming career would entail a big move, or am I mistaken?  I know Sweden has really big gaming culture. My household is very active with eSports. We go to MLG Anaheim and other gaming events regularly, watch Dreamhack and Korean Starcraft tournaments via Twitch.tv,  etc. I am a very casual gamer but my husband and his friends are avid min-maxers, currently obsessed with Pathfinder.

What aspects of game design do you find most appealing?

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 12:39:49 PM »

Ayoooooah Czarine! Yeah, I am the same way. I actually have a bachelor's degree in fine art, biology, and psychology. I had a double major the first time around (art/psych). I then ran off to get a masters in microbiology. I'm considering taking courses to prepare me for getting a certification in medical technology, but still not sure. Bought the books and have been studying off and on for a while. For a long time I considered going into animation, thinking it would be amazing to open my own animation company (I know where I can find the talent!), but America is extremely expensive in terms of animation and a lot of it is farmed out to other countries as a result. I'd like to have it all done locally, but that doesn't seem possible. I myself am not much for cities; I live in the capital city of my state, and it's too big, too crowded, and way too dirty, but you have to go where the job takes you. I personally am fond of thick forests (and the beach with few people anywhere near). I hate traffic, too, and relationships are pretty damn scary. You can't trust humans! What sort of things do you like to build? Have you considered doing a spirit house (fits in with the macabre theme)? I used to be afraid of corpses and skeletons as a small kid, but as I got older, the idea of forensics was utterly fascinating for me; I thought about going into that as well.

Emberra

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Page
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 01:11:41 PM »

Hey All,
Its awesome that you started this thread Berit, it helps me see more about all you awesome people then just an icon.
I'm a 23 year old female from Ontario, Canada. I've attempted 2 different college programs and nothing seems to fit. I'm currently working part-time as a stand attendant at a Hockey Arena, so I only work during the hockey season or when there are concerts. I'm still looking for more work because I would rather not live with my parents forever. I don't drive as there is public transit in my area, and its just to expensive to own a car.
I'm a first generation Canadian on my Mom's side. She moved here when she was a teen from Bolton, England. Apparently the way I speak sometimes other people who are English/first gen can tell. Part of me would love to move there but until I get a decent education that isn't going to happen.
I've loved EQ since Grade 8, and I also enjoy anime, Doctor Who and X-men. I attend at least 2 local conventions a year. Toronto Fan Expo, and Anime North. I cosplay but up until recently I only ever bought my cosplays I'm attempting to enter the world of making my own.

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 11:35:59 PM »

Nice to see many people telling about themselves here! and Emberra, may I ask what are your favorite animes and your favourite characters? same goes for x-men! and you into cosplaying!? that's awesome!...

And sorry I haven't been as active here as I planned, Life is what it is... Anyhoo! currently I'm unemployed and actually glad about it. as working I've been at cemetarys (helped keeping the graves looking nice) as well as a metalworker, welding and using lathe for various things... that sort of stuff... of, and all sorts of random art stuff from paintings to comics...

and Starskimmer, there is quite a lot of game stuff going on in Finland, many schools about game stuff, Czarine is one currently!... and game stuff? well, all I can say is that I simply love games! mostly RPG person my self!... graphics never really are that big of a deal to me, I actually don't like most modern games because everything looks too real, and a play games to get away from reality...

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 12:24:38 PM »

Looks like a good place to post my "what I've been up to" return post, since that's, well, info about me :)  Since I last posted in 2015 it feels like a lot has changed, and I don't feel like quite the same person I was.

I live in New England (USA) these days, a decision that seemed like a good one at the time, but I have subsequently regretted. I left behind friends and a much-loved west-coast city because I am a northern barbarian who cannot handle heatwaves and forest fires. But...this part of New England turned out to not be North enough.  Climate change sucks. :(

But I'm not sure I would undo the choice, because it was being exactly where I was at exactly the right moment in time that led to the existence of my  perfect-in-every-way she-cub (cubling name of "Pidgeon"). 

I'm at that "who am I? what do I want?" stage that most new parents go through, but I'm pretty sure that books, roleplaying, drawing, and writing are still things I want to do when I grow up. 

We have at least 1-3 moves left before us, then I plan to collapse on the earth and let little Pidgeon learn how to fly without the skies constantly changing on her.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 08:51:28 AM »

Well, well. Don't you dare to vanish for years again, just like this.

And congrats also here to your little one. May you be a happy family.

Indeed, climate change sucks a lot, so one has to do something.
[teacher mode on]
First step should be to check one's own behaviour e.g. energy consumption of all sorts: House isolated? Lights switched off if not needed? Efficiency class of household items? Big screens running? Car's fuel consumption? Driving behaviour? Possible use of public transport? What about the food you eat? Beef means a lot of CO2 and esp. also methane (CH4), which is a horrible greenhouse gas. Meat in general is more "climate intensive".
Then check election behaviour.
Then spread the message and convince more people to to the right steps to decrease ecological footprint. Oh, and it's not only changes household, it's also at work, though it might seem like fighting agains windmills. Still, just because e.g. industry blows out energy at large scale doesn't mean that we can leave that screen or lamp running uselessly 24/7.
[teacher mode off]

> "who am I? what do I want?" stage

Aren't we all at one or more points in our lives? ;)
Finding a place where you fit in, wondering what's in stock for you from life, self-re-evaluation, are my goals still the same? Do I have goals at all? What really would fulfill me, what are just empty veneers?

You are already lucky if you can move without being bound by job situations.

Cheers and take care!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 06:08:09 AM »

Ah, Foxeye, I also hope you will stay with us for a bit!

Pidgeon sounds so wonderful! I am so, so happy for you! A little cub born into your family will surely be able to fly freely and self-assured in no time!
Why do you plan on moving that much? Just curious. I definitely moved too many times in my life.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 12:51:55 PM »

Why do you plan on moving that much? Just curious. I definitely moved too many times in my life.

We want to sell our house in the States and move to Finland, but we haven't narrowed down exactly which place in Finland (there are two top contenders). :P It's going to be something like:

1) move to short-term rental somewhere State-side
2) sell house
3) relocate to Kael's dads house Finland (kael inherited half of the house when his mum died, and his dad now lives in an apartment)
4) figure out the city we like best (or which offers one of us a job)
5) maybe move to a rental in that city?
6) buy/build house in that city
Done?!

I keep hoping the Fates will intervene with some happy solution that doesn't involve all that, but...you gotta do what you gotta do :) As jaRf said, we do consider ourselves fortunate that we are able to move like this. Though, tbh, I don't know for sure I get to keep my job. I just feel...it's a risk that worth it. Our skillset is in demand in Finland, so we think it's probably an OK risk.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2019, 10:19:49 AM »

Wow, that is quite a long way to go. I like the plan, don't envy you for the work ahead.
While I don't know much about your skillset, from what I've seen, I think you would be more than welcome anywhere in Europe.

MenderFanForest

• Treewee
    • View Profile
    • BRGCruises.deviantart.com
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2019, 04:31:35 PM »

I really suck at these talking about myself thing but ill give it a try lol. I discovered elfquest when i was 11 or so and i loved the art style of it with my favorite characters being Mender, Rayek, and Cutter though i think Cutter looks way better in the bellbottom pants. I started liking Mender because i thought he looked hot in thst green and blue loincloth and i like Rayek for similar reasons. He looks cute with thst headband thing too. I have long forgotten the story of elfquest but i always remembered the art style. I should probably reread it soon lol l. Also if it wasnt obvious im gay btw.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2019, 03:39:17 AM »

:-* :-* You are most welcome MenderFanForest! Feel free to be who you are here. We are looking forward to seeing and hearing more from you!

MenderFanForest

• Treewee
    • View Profile
    • BRGCruises.deviantart.com
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2019, 04:50:28 AM »

Thankyou its cool i can draw and post scantily clad male elves without dealing homophobic people. I am going to draw a pic of Mender, Rayek, and cutter btw.

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2019, 07:23:25 PM »

Heya! We don't know yet but nice to meet'cha! and don't be shy being who you are, I'm Asexual and people are very nice here, I also get shit elsewhere because I'm not normal... and I think here are lots of ladies here that don't mind seeing male elf skin so draw away!...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up