Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Poll

Which theme do you want to see for the 2015 EQFA calendar?

Cubs
- 3 (17.6%)
Emotive Portraits
- 6 (35.3%)
(Unusual) Parings
- 3 (17.6%)
Teachers & Leaders
- 1 (5.9%)
Otherness/inter-species relations
- 1 (5.9%)
Contrasts
- 3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: April 05, 2014, 08:09:02 AM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2015 Fan Calendar Theme Poll  (Read 24923 times)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
2015 Fan Calendar Theme Poll
« on: March 29, 2014, 08:05:23 AM »

Time to choose which theme you want for the 2015 EQFA calendar...

The descriptions of each theme are located on the thread "2015 Calendar Theme Discussion" if you need to refresh your memory on what each theme is about. Please vote carefully as you will not be able to change your vote once you have decided.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 08:12:33 AM by Maggie »

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Fan Calendar Theme Poll
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 09:02:49 AM »

The winner of our calendar poll is Emotive Portraits!

I will be posting the rules for the theme in the next few days, so please, for those of you participating don't start your submission yet. Wait until you get all the details first.

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 11:58:49 AM »

Haha, and I voted for contrasts this time. XD Perhaps next year?

Startear

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 01:18:17 PM »

Haha! I was the one who voted for Otherness, only on it seems. XD
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 05:40:30 PM »

OMG this should be FUN! ALSO I know some of you guys may not feel as comfortable with coloring I'd love to do some collaborations. Just saying!

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 12:53:48 AM »

Ugh.
Now I came home after many hours of work to see this outcome. Meh.

First:
I noticed that just mere 12 people voted. That is not much. That is also not a great number for a good statistic distribution.
Well, at least I hope and guess these 12 were/are artists who are actually doing art not people wishing the artists to do something specific.
(the voting time was maybe also a bit short)

2nd:
As I said I feel far more comfortable with some topics than others. I hope the 6 people voting for "emotive portraits" are willing and able to implement this topic. Because at least I am on unsafe territory with "emotive portraits". There is no scene, no interaction with a 2nd person, the whole picture is focused, no, consists only of a face. And faces (and hands?) are things I find horribly hard to draw. And I think faces are primal parts of expression and also recognition. And when you have to be canon this might be a problem.
Well, the only good part about this is that it still leaves a lot of variability.

As a non-native speaker I am even unsure about the meaning of "emotive portraits". Does is create an emotional response in the watcher or does it just express an emotion in the depicted character? (Yes, you normally always create some response but e.g. you can put certain unpleasant persons with a totally neutral face on a picture but still the people will react with feelings because they are reminded of nasty things.)

People might argue that it would be a challenge then maybe and an opportunity to practise faces. Yes. I tried to argue that in my mind, too, but there was also some voice that said I got enough of challenges right now - for my past 15 years in life were a constant challenge (I know, "life is always a challenge"... ).

Oh well. And I thought I had time later this year to do something for the calendar. :/
Sorry for not rejoicing.

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:41:31 AM »

(I voted for this and will def. participate) I for one am super excited to get started on this! I'll enjoy practice faces, and composition will be interesting with the limited subject.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 08:03:25 AM »

Don't worry jaRf, I am able to implement this topic all on my own if need be. So at the end of the year there will be 12 months of emotion EQ style whether or not you or anyone else feels they grasp the concept enough to participate.

Just for the record not every theme is going to be one everybody is comfortable with but I always thought the whole idea was to be challenged and grow as an artist. Not good at faces, well then this would be a good challenge for you. Shying away from something hard means you can't get any better at it. Practice makes perfect as they say. If you've had too many challenges in life and can't manage another, well that's your choice. But the theme isn't getting in your way, you've chosen not to participate.

Also the meaning behind it is simple, you're using only an expression on a face to show how the character feels. So for example Pike has a big smile on his face, his cheeks are a little red and his eyes are slightly unfocused...how does he feel?

And lastly I appreciate everyone's opinions, I can see you're not impressed with the theme, sorry about that. But going so far as to complain and say oh well, I was going to set aside some time to do something for the calendar but now I can't because of this theme. That just makes me, (one of the admins who pays and works to keep this site running as well as organizing and creating artwork for the calendar) feel like  :'( <----- can you tell just by this face how I feel?

Oh and to top it off I thought of the theme Emotive Portraits so I'm feeling pretty awesome right now.  :baghead

Dreamcat

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 11:01:27 AM »

Wow, I was the only one voting for the teacher/leader thing in the end.... ö_ö
But well, emotive portraits, heh... not like I wouldn´t love to do those! xD
*pats Maggie on the shoulder* you can count on me, babe!  8)

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 12:05:51 AM »

I also voted for contrasts!  :lol
However, as I stated before I am very willing and looking forward to contributing to any of the chosen themes. I hope we'll get some more people to participate.
Everyone has their strengths, of course but I personally love to draw faces and emotions. It will not be easy, but a challenge I am looking forward to. I already started thinking about character and emotion.
So, will contrasts be chosen next year?  ;)

Tah-Marien

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 09:06:42 AM »

HI !     

Emotions huh ?   Well that is certainly a Big part of Elfquest !   

I AM so in - no matter what comes and may. 

@SILENTLEAF  -   Sharpen those . . .  um, Markers ?  I will take you up on the collab offer because it takes me so much extra work and planning to color.  Not than I am unwilling to do the extra work; just do not think I have the time left to color.  It is so sweet of you to offer !   Until I found cyber online fandom in  EQFA and River Twine I had never had someone help me with an Art piece.  I find it very interesting to see how my work evolves through another artist' eyes.  So thank you in advance for the offer and the help. *humble bow*

Alright cyber- tribe mates;  we have a challenge to accomplish here.  With help or without, a new calendar will be born.  Now where are those rules ? 

@JaRf -  Emotional example- Leetah being restrained by Skywise. (KoTBW, when she learns they have bn taken by Rayek into the future--a future they think the Wolfriders are not a part of.)  Birds-eye view.  Two people-utter emotion.  Interaction.  Brilliance.  You could do it.  You are better than you have given yourself credit for.

Yay  team !    GO ! 

. .
OC / PC    ChangeStone  _    SweetWater Holt
http://tah-marien.deviantart.com/

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 09:47:47 AM »

So I got totally inspired last night... I have something that is going to be pretty cool. I wont tell but I'm so happy with it right now. Its going to get better as I give it space too. Tah-Marien I am So in! Email me !  Ldartistic@hotmail.com

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 02:06:26 PM »

I definitely have trouble with expressions, so I really hope to participate this year... like every other year so it really doesn't say much. But if any one wants ideas or some coloring then feel free to pm me!
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Christina Raibert

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 02:17:02 PM »

I wasn't around to vote (my comp is still out for repairs and I had to wait for a friend to lend me a tablet) but I don't mind the Expressions theme - at all! :)  Lookin' foward to partecipate again.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 04:25:02 AM »

I have several ideas already... however, I am still in the process of working the details out in my mind.
However, if anyone is looking for ideas, feel free to PM me.

Jeb

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 05:53:58 AM »

I've only participated in this once, one reason being that I always have trouble coming up with ideas, but it may be time to try again. I'll PM you, Treefox.

And if anyone has ideas that they aren't going to be using, PM me. I'd love some suggestions!

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 02:27:40 PM »

Just to say -- I've been really flaky lately, and so I didn't get in here to vote, or to discuss.  But that's also because I often don't feel strongly about the theme, and will just try to do whatever others decide on.  Same this time -- I'll definitely submit something!  Although now I'm going to go over to the discussion thread and hope that someone explains a bit better what this theme means (and doesn't mean)!

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 03:31:10 PM »

I think Teachers & Leaders would be most interesting, but seeing there isn't that many people voting for it... I bet this vote means nothing, but none the less! Teachers & Leaders!

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 03:33:15 PM »

Hey Berit, the poll is over and the winner was "Emotive Portraits".  ;D

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »

I'll definitely submit something!  Although now I'm going to go over to the discussion thread and hope that someone explains a bit better what this theme means (and doesn't mean)!

The rules are in the works and should be posted, along with a more detailed meaning this weekend.

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 05:06:12 PM »

Oh! it has! hahaha! sorry! goofing around again! hahaha! well! in any case, will there be a list about what characters people will pick? and how many pictures can one artist draw? for the pin-up calendars I drew... what was it? four characters?... and sorry! I'm bugging you with too many questions... I just want to get started as soon as possible!

Dreamcat

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 10:05:14 PM »

A list of characters would be nice. It would be a shame if people make an effort to find out that there are five Cutter portraits already. I´m toying the idea to either do Krim or Moonshade.

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 10:28:26 PM »

I have a kahvi and a shenshen sketched out.. mwahahaha

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 01:27:20 AM »

I also think a character list like last year would be nice. I am really enjoying this year's calendar variety of characters.

Christina Raibert

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 07:10:09 AM »

Book me down for Brill... and if we can submit multiple entries, maybe some lesser known WaveDancers? I wouldn't mind giving Wavelet or Zephyr a try :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up