Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Quarterly art contributions (share your ideas Here).  (Read 190126 times)

silentleaf

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
Quarterly art contributions (share your ideas Here).
« on: March 11, 2014, 11:42:52 AM »

Hey my Elf drawing friends! I'm starting the idea ball rolling!

I'd love to see you all do the 4 seasons using the male elves!

Tah-Marien

• Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Quarterly art contributions (share your ideas Here).
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 01:53:47 PM »

That is a great idea SILENTLEAF !  I so need to work on my males in any sense; and have needed some inspiration.  Are there themes that came to mind ?  Cards, holidays, iconic representations ?  Or were you just thinking of any male elves  doing something "seasonal" together ? 

And   .   .   .  (my own self interest is showing here) ;

I would love to also see parents and children together of the chiefs. For example: I have never seen a picture of Rahnee and Prey-Pacer together.  In the timeline - just how many elf parents were around to see their cubs grow to full maturity?

Are the BoTC  novels considered canon in fandom today ?
OC / PC    ChangeStone  _    SweetWater Holt
http://tah-marien.deviantart.com/

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 05:10:13 PM »

Oh look at you full of good ideas! I was thinking of picking my boys out and decking them out in winter, spring, summer, fall... Lots of fur banana hammocks (just for maggie).  As a challenge I'd pick less odiously popular guys. Cutter, Rayek, Skywise, as much as I love them get alot of art love. 

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 02:39:17 PM »

Tah-Marien, the stories that don't contradict the things said in the comics are canon. Like, for instance in the Two-Spear comics Two-Spear is there when Skyfire is born, therefore she cannot be older than him which the BoTC novels claim. However there is nothing to disprove that Rahnee survived the attack against the allo's, so one is free to accept that as canon.
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 03:32:38 PM »

Just my take on canon, the only place that canon is really something you have to follow is the calendar. Those rules were set already and they aren't going to change but as far as everyday artwork or challenges unless specified I would say anything goes.

So when someone adds a challenge they should make sure they specify canon and what exactly they mean by that when they post an idea, along with any other rules they have for the challenge. Otherwise why not delve into the murky waters of the elves we haven't see a lot of.

Personally I love the idea of interpreting Cutters ancestors even if things aren't quite canon.

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 06:03:30 AM »

I personally like to see broader themes, which we can chose how to interpret ourselves. Like "seasons" Silentleaf mentions, but no other specifics than that, and not really limitations (like canon or not). For me that gives more freedom to think about. I know others can get things done better with more specifics as you guys mention, but I'd like to see things varied so everyone can get inspired.

Perhaps we could divide the ideas in "themes" and "challenges"? A challenge could be more specific, like canon chiefs as parent + their child, while a theme could be something as simple like "water" (an example at RTH!), which to me is more inspiring.

Tah-Marien

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 10:35:04 AM »

@ STARTEAR  -  That is a very wide range of  "Maybe so, Maybe no".    Especially since there are not enough comics to cover all of the possibilities brought up in the BoTC novels yet.
I admit to loving only Most of those stories.   EX:   I can see how the recognition of Bearclaw and also how he found his new wolf-friend needed to be different for the ElfQuest universe and I loved what Wendy did with that scenario.   

@ Maggie  -  Are we starting an Art Challenge ?  Maybe I do not understand what is being proposed here. 

@  Afke  -   I like broader themes also.  I have just been very curious as to  "how"  and  "what"  is canon in the ElfQuest fandom circle.  And in this case; what the boundaries could be for a seasonal backdrop.  The idea of SILENTLEAF's caught my attention because - well - it's men !   (Let us hear it for raining men !)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 06:58:58 AM »

@Tah-Marien I was just addressing your question about canon with my reply. I believe it is necessary for the calendar to reach a broad spectrum of fans but not necessary for everyday artwork or challenges.  ;D

@Silentleaf Are you running with this little idea of yours? I mean anyone can create an idea or challenge doesn't just have to be little old moi.  ;D We can totally run with quarterly art contribution 2014 - theme: Seasons. We just need to figure out a rule or two.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:30:10 AM by Maggie »

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 10:11:20 AM »

Sure why not! I may need help lol!

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 09:39:40 AM »

I too like broader themes, though any theme (be it broad or narrow) goes for me. I'd like to have a deadline to get a good kickstart! Nothing beats social pressure in getting things done.  ;D

To me, canon-enough art would be artwork with only canon characters (preferably in EQ world), even though the situation wouldn't be exactly canon.  Like, Bearclaw having a wrestling match with Kahvi in the Sun Village, with Lord Voll as the referee. But, that's just my preference.  8)

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 02:21:26 PM »

Hey, my Elf friends.
Here is what I'm thinking. Pick one or more of your favorite male characters From Elf quest and create an image that represents one of the 4 seasons. IE (spring, Summer, Fall, winter).  I think two months is a decent amount of time for this challenge our deadline is May 31st.  I don't want to get to strict on guidelines for this challenge. If you guys have suggestions please feel free to make them, this is a totally fluid project!

Oh if you feel like it tell us what season you are working with ( it would be nice to have a full set of the seasons)

I'm totally into the movie frozen right now so don't be surprised if you see magic sparkles in my drawing...

Hugs and Dreamberries to you all!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 03:45:45 AM »

Really lovely idea! Let's push some art of male elves! Yay!
Not that I lack ideas for EQ fanart, but I still like the concept. I think I want to participate and tackle summer.

Man, by now I actually wish I had seen Frozen. Just the trailer wasn't very appealing to me...
But let it go just won't let go... GAH! My poor vocal chords.  :lol

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 09:20:24 AM »

I'm going to do some winter fun!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 07:02:01 AM »

I think I am definitely going for character who usually received not so much attention. Haven't decided completely yet.

Tah-Marien

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 11:06:28 AM »

I do not know if I can finish something by March 29th -   but I am going ahead anyway !   

Get out your umbrella's  fan tribemates.  It looks like it will be a fun year.  Hmm  .  .  .   it is a Crow Moon  this month for spring.  I think I can work with that.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 05:21:36 PM »

@Tah-Marien I'm pretty sure the deadline Silentleaf set was May 31st.  ;)

I'm in and I will do Autumn...crunchy leaves under your feet and still days warm enough for banana hammocks.  ;D

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 02:33:51 AM »

;D Great! I already made a tiny sketch at work yesterday. Hopefully I can get started on the real thing this weekend. There is going to be a lot of elvin skin!

Now I am wondering if silentleaf will pull off a winterish banana hammock. I am sure you could do it, girl!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 01:09:58 PM »

I am really having a hard time getting the Elfquest proportions to work. Ah, shoot, it will be my own style anyway! Rough sketch doesn't look half bad so far, rather cute.

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 06:34:37 AM »

So the theme is 4 seasons with male elves (in a banana hammock). I like it! :D

I'll definitely contribute, I'm not too sure which character I'll draw yet though

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 06:42:32 PM »

I'll see if I can squeeze in one too, and if I can, it will be Spring.
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Dreamcat

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 08:51:05 PM »

so cool! I totally participate! ^^

Tah-Marien

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 09:34:48 AM »

Totally found a pose to work with, so I am getting started.  My theme is:  Full Crow Moon  (when)  .   .    .     . "The cawing of the crow signals the end of Winter."   So I do not know if that is spring or winter, but the drawing will be be black and white - I might play with color - but maybe not. 

It was/is hard to find a sensual pose, that is not feminine, for a guy.  I wanted strength and beauty without .   .   .  well, it is hard to explain.  But anybody that has drawn Elfquest knows how hard it is to balance male beauty and macho - ism. 

. .

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 08:37:48 PM »

Are banana hammock's a must here?...

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 12:57:57 AM »

Not yet!  ;) No, the banana hammock has become sort of a thing since the pinup calendars, but we take fully clad elf lads as well.  ;D

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 09:18:32 PM »

I'd like to do fall or winter, (that depends on how many fall or winter ones we have, I'll do the one that gets less attention) but sorry! I'd prefer not to draw nudity again! (the calendar was too much for me, actually)...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up