Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Fate of EQFA.com  (Read 22344 times)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
The Fate of EQFA.com
« on: March 04, 2014, 05:50:21 PM »

Alright, I am going to preface this little message with I am not shutting down the site so please no one go into a frenzy thinking I am jumping ship.

I would however like to address the fact that not a lot of fan art is being submitted here and hasn’t been submitted in a while.

I love seeing your work, even if it isn’t canon EQ but it’s getting to the point where there is almost no fan work posted with the exception of the calendar.

I personally (I can’t speak for Treefox) took on the management of this site because I love and always will, love Elfquest. I thought it was important that EQFA.com stay open so that our ragtag group could continue to have a place where we could share our common interest and nerdly devotion to pointed ears in a world where fan sites disappear into the night without a trace.

At the time when the site was in a state of disarray because Foxeye, Kael and Windrider had decided to retire I knew I wanted to take it over even if it was hard work, something I knew little to nothing about and even if it cost money.  I even went so far as to beg to be in charge.

Now here it is almost two years later (March 9th,2012 is when I signed up at DreamHost) and I still want to keep this going but if I am honest I am kind of disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm for Elfquest itself.

This stems from the fact that not a lot of you had the time to participate in the fan calendar project (another of the main reasons why I wanted to take over running the site and keep it going). But even more than that no one really had the time to comment on the work either. This is something that kind of blows my mind.

For me it is hard to keep this up if no one else is excited. Not having the time to draw, I understand because art takes a decent amount of effort but not being able to come and comment on the calendar (for example) that I don’t get.

I pay over $600 a year to host the site (no I don’t want your money, please don’t think that is what I am driving at) and I would really love it if you could all set aside a little time to at least come and enjoy the site. Even if you can’t always post art come and take a look and comment on others work, let me see that you all still want to be doing this.

I want to be doing this, I can see myself drawing  the cover of the 2020 EQ Fan Calendar but what I can’t see is doing it alone. I don’t want a 2020 Fan Calendar with artwork done entirely by me because I  won’t let go of something that is important to me but isn’t important to anyone else.

So what I would like is to know how you all feel. Do you want to keep things going? Do you think you can all set aside a little time to upload artwork, comment and visit the site so I know it’s still important in your lives?

Please let me know because I want to hear from you.

This includes the small group of you that visit and comment and post work all the time (thank you). This message isn’t as directed toward you but I want your opinions too.

Treefox

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: The Fate of EQFA.com
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 01:25:23 AM »

I really agree with you, Maggie. I was also more than eager to keep this site alive and at the time Foxeye and crew decided to pull out of the EQFA site there was still a lot of art and communication exchange going on here. As I see it now, I think the main focus on EQ fanart stuff is now on DA or Facebook. Of course, I also sorta understand that there is a much higher potential of people viewing art and commenting there than here. There are many people here though who share their art here as well as on those other platforms, which I really appreciate.
However, I definitely see the interest and investment decreasing drastically. It's probably also a natural development. I don't want to point a finger at anybody or anything. As it is, I am really thankful to all the members who stuck with us so faithfully. I still feel this certain closeness and relaxed atmosphere I don't feel on any other platform.
So, I think it might be time to let EQFA die and move to other platforms, not that I personally feel very much inclined to do so. And yet I sadly am one of the persons who due to time reasons can contribute little art to this site.
But seeing how little feedback even the calendar art got also makes me feel bad for the people who worked so hard to contribute to it.
Wow, writing this makes me pretty sad... I really am still very attached to this site.
Maggie, however we decide in the end, it was and is really a pleasure to work with you. You did all the work anyway. ;)
I absolutely enjoyed our conversations. Can I come and visit you should I ever manage to come to Canada (which I will)?

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 10:22:05 AM »

Like Treefox I feel a kind of closeness to this place that I miss at other sites, mainly because it's a small bunch I guess. And some I have known for so long too! But just as that being its strength it's also its weakness I fear, when most have not enough time to visit and contribute (be it with art or comments), only few are left.

I have never drawn much fan art, except for the calendars, because I don't enjoy it as much as drawing original characters. So it's not really something I expect from others either. It's sad to hear your expectations weren't met, Maggie, since you took over so enthusiastically. It's no fun when your buzz is killed like that. :(

Though I can still see myself drawing for the calendar every year as well. Perhaps because I don't draw fan art, it remains special for me, something I want to put extra work in, knowing others appreciate the ideas I come up with.
I haven't read the new Final Quest issues yet, because I'm waiting for a collected edition as I have with all other EQ (American comics feel too much like magazines to me). But I am in the middle of rereading everything else because of the waiting. It never really dies for me, even though I'm not as fan-girlish as I was 10 years ago. ;)

Unfortunately I haven't contributed much yet this year. Mainly because I had surgery in the first week, and my focus has been gone since; I haven't drawn a single thing this year, not even a sketch. I'm having a hard time shaking off the remains of the narcosis, which took my sister at least six months as well some years ago, so I kind of expected it (it still sucks though).
But that's just one story, one situation, of one person.

I would very much like this place to stay, if only because it always manages to inspire me. But I can't believe you pay that much for it, Maggie! There must be cheaper places.
If you do decide it's no longer worth it, I completely understand (I ran a Dutch EQ forum once). I do hope we'll find each other at other places then. I have found a lot of you on dA as well, but it's not the same; I think we'd need to create a group page there to keep the contact we have here.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 05:52:44 PM »

@Treefox - Don't be sad the site isn't going anywhere. I have to renew my contract with DreamHost at the end of next week so the site will remain open for another year at the very least. Plus if the site isn't going to be around at some point I would want to go out with a bang not a whimper.  ;) That can't be done before March 15th, so here we are, staying as is for the time being.

@Afke - I totally get what you are saying about the "family" aspect of the site. Plus I wanted to take it to dA when the site was about to close but almost everyone was opposed to that idea and I don't know that opinions have changed much since then. Not sure moving would help the situation at all in the long run.

I also understand what you are saying about fan art, I don't really do it either but for the calendar. Honestly you saying that you'd be up for working on the calendars is good enough for me, I just want to know that the members here still want to participate, get inspired, chat, comment etc. but while you are correct, no one can expect EQ fan art to be posted, that is the name of the site and it's purpose, so there has to be a way even if it is just the calendar to get some canon elves in here to show how much love and respect we have for EQ and it's creators.

As for money, it's not that bad as a monthly fee and Dreamhost is great and I have had no problems with the hosting ever.  No point in trying to find something cheaper because you often get what you pay for.  ;D

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 11:28:21 AM »

Hello my elf art loves! I know personally I have been so busy of late. I log check the page once a day I cant lie I don't comment much but I still look for new art from you guys. I recently got to meet Wendy and Richard OMG she remembered my drawing form the calendar! HOLY GOD! I told them that as long as a fan art calendar was being created I would always be a part of it. I stand by that! I will try to make an effort to be a more vocal part of our community here if it will help. I have a hard time posting though if I don't feel inspired. What if we each make one new drawing a month? Even if its a Doodle? I could do that at the least! I love you guys and the art you create inspires me! Seeing each of us grow and develop as artists is amazing. 

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 06:31:19 PM »

That's what I want to hear Silentleaf!  :love

I was thinking the same thing about submitting artwork but I was thinking even if everyone submitted 4 pieces a year, maybe in Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. That works over at River Twine Holt and it is manageable for even the busiest of people.

I get that people are busy but there is no reason for new people to sign up and join in here if there isn't any artwork being posted and it seems like the site is dead. That is why I think it is important for us all to discuss what we can do individually and as a collective to keep things going here.

And Speaking of Wendy and Richard (awesome that you met them), I love the fact that they are part of what we do here. Richard takes the time to help judge the calendar and put it on Café Press and Wendy obviously looks at the artwork we have all done, how many fan sites can say that they have the assistance of the people that created the masterpiece helping them out? Probably not many.

This place is special and I think with a bit of effort on all our parts we can keep it like that for a long time.

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 08:26:02 PM »

OH! what a good idea! We should do the Four seasons each in our own style! I would to do some collaborations too! Maggie you are so amazing I adore you for keeping this place alive.

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 05:29:41 PM »

Well first of all, I agree with afke. While I don't post nearly as much as I'd like anymore, this is a community I like being a part of, so it would be sad to see us go. Yes, a lot of us are on DA, but it wouldn't be the same. However, if you do decide that it isn't worth it, it would be fully understandable, because yikes! That is a lot of money to pour in a site, especially if the community dies!  :shocker

and yeah, I have totally not commented enough these last few months.  :-[

I can personally say that I have always wanted to participate in the Fan art calendars, but so far been kept from it, due to life and poor time management getting in the way.
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Songflower

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 01:06:03 PM »

Hi, everybody,

Maggie, it never occurred to me that you might be frustrated about lack of interest in the site, and that's because I never gave the matter any thought, sorry!  Although I am always a little disappointed when there's no new stuff here, absolutely, and thrilled when there is.   Maggie, by the way, I love your beautiful work and if you ever DID do a fanart calendar by yourself I'd be thrilled and I'd love it, just saying, and there are a number of other artists here I could say that about too, and some of them are right here in this thread btw.

I belong here because I've been a big fan of EQ for about 30 years, and of fanart of canon characters (in particular) for probably the last 15 of those.  I'm not an artist, myself, though.  I stopped commenting when I hurt somebody's feelings and felt guilty and just didn't want to anymore; plus, you know, darned introversion (lol).  Also, I frequently don't have things to say about artistic pieces other than "I love it!"  or "I agree!" (with someone else who said why they love something; for example, Maggie, your recent Shenshen, which contained gorgeous intense coloring and beautiful thick linework, which I only realized specifically when someone else noted the same).  I come into the site all the time but don't post.  I'll start posting again, without worrying so much about whether my posts contain seriously intelligent or actually useful content, how about that?  It's funny that it never occurred to me that anyone might feel pleased to hear me just say how much I like something.  I imagined, more, that it would be tedious to read a lot of simple appreciative postings that don't contain that much in the way of intelligently worded specifics or constructive suggestions.

Thanks for running this site!  I do realize y'all are on facebook and deviantart, but this site is just about EQ fanart and is such a good gathering place for EQ fan artists and people who love EQ fanart.  I think it has a lot of value and I would sure be sorry to see it go. 

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 06:48:05 AM »

Been pondering what I wanted to write, putting it on paper is kind of difficult.

This site in it's different incarnations has been a steady part of my internet experience since I was 12 or 13 or something like that. I'm on a bunch of other social medias, but nowhere has the same closeness as this place does. I don't go on here as much as I used to, mostly because I don't draw as much as I'd like and I got a constant influx of EQ from Facebook which kind of turned me away from the entire fandom for a while (which also shows in my art, I can't draw the over-the-top proportions any longer), but I love this place. It dying out is pretty sad.

I'm sorry that I don't comment much, commenting on each others stuff has always been a pretty big part of this community and I'm in awe of the people who manage to comment on basically everything! I'll def. try to comment more.

I agree with Silentleaf, having monthly challenges would be quite inspirational, I know that whenever the calendar comes up I draw a ton more than what I usually do! (if you guys want help organizing it, I'd be glad to lend a hand) I'll continue to be part of the calendar for however long it's being planned, that's for sure!

Perhaps creating a bit of publicity around the site might get an influx of members? Basically just reminding people on the Scroll and on Facebook that EQfanart is a thing, even after all of these years.

(unrelated but it only just hit me; is there a reason why the Holt theme isn't default? It's GORGEOUS)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:39:00 AM by Wildfire »

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 12:10:33 AM »

Thank you all for commenting on this topic! It's nice to see that not everybody has given up on this site.
To come here this morning and see all the new art and comments really made me happy! Of course, I also hope we can keep up a good momentum and people will continue to contribute actively.

I am all for challenges, but am also afraid that nobody will submit art... or that the calendar art will suffer if everybody gets busy submitting art for challenges. However, I would try to contribute to both if we should get that going.
However, time will always be an issue for me, as I am home very rarely... that is the good thing about commenting: I can do it from everywhere!

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 01:55:00 AM »

@Songflower; I've been in that situation too, where I decided "I'll only comment if I have something different to say" but that ends up with not commenting at all, because you put too much pressure on yourself. I don't mind simple "I love it!" comments, I'm sure no one would. :)

@Treefox; I think monthly is too quick a change too, I think quarterly as Maggie suggested might work better. Both in sense of having the opportunity to submit art AND leaving enough room (time) for the calendar.

I also don't think all these challenges should have their own folder, like some we did so far. I see these quarterly themes as a way people can get inspired by and simply submit their pictures to their own folders. Then if one theme doesn't spark much interest, there won't be a lonely folder in there.
In sense of keeping track of themes, I suggest we make a thread for it in the forum, because then we'll also have a place to brainstorm about it and that could also help with actually getting things done, because then we'd be already busy with it.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 04:56:23 AM »

Totally agree about a quarterly timing for the challenges and also I like the loose frame. Not to fix it but just let it flow and inspire people.

Tah-Marien

• Wolf
    • View Profile
QFA site
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 08:20:28 PM »

Hell-O   to   all   my   Fellow   Fans !

Thanx  MAGGIE  for sharing some very deep and meaningful thoughts.   I, also, have felt  and noticed the drop off of interest and submissions in the short time I have been with EQFA.  Made me sad.  Mostly because I am really so very new to the Site;  in the sense that I had never heard of it until  MIRROR  invited me to check out the fan calender project all the way from  Deviant Art.    She said I "should" admit a piece for consideration - I submitted two - and picked the wrong one to publish I think (now).  But It was the "should" that caught my attention.  And she was very right!

I am sooooo very glad I joined the other artist' and writers and fans of all types here at this wonder of a "reach out".  It was  hard in the 80's and 90's pulling in International fans since the cost to print and ship fanzines was just plain silly.  Oddly enough one of SweetWater Fan Club's first (ever) over seas members was Windwalker, known to me now as KAYEL.  It cost  over 25 dollars to mail, (which was a lot back then.  Now a twenty is just a yuppie food stamp.) and print and copy.

Which is why  I was excited to see so many people from around the world here !  It still makes me happy to visit  and see what fans are doing.  So I understand the sadness, and share it. 

What can we do to up participation ?  When even  some Clubs and Forums  come  and  go so quickly ? 

I do not Know. 

However; I really want to thank you and  TREEFOX for all the work and time and comments and administration you have been doing.  It cannot be said enough.  Having run a fan club (small scale in comparison) for over 20 years;  I know how much work it is to motivate and corral the masses.  Even in my current  online Club I feel outside the circle of participation.  I miss the one-on-one  excitement and interaction of an in town fan club. 

(In SweetWater) We did have a "Trading Post"  for phone numbers, and then addresses, and then later, emails.  Everyone was required to write or call or story or collaborate once a quarter with one person that they did not know well.  Kept us all connected Then.  Do not know how it would translate over to the virtual world now though.  But it was fun !

Well  .   .   I will stop "bending your ear", as it were.  But I will always want EQFA to be there !  Please ?  Pretty please ? 

. .

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:21:00 AM by Tah-Marien »
OC / PC    ChangeStone  _    SweetWater Holt
http://tah-marien.deviantart.com/

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 02:09:15 PM »

Oh hello everybody

I see a cartain deal of frustration here in the starting post.

from my personal POV:

* I am not really an artist (or at least totally untrained) so it is hard to get something done. I wish I had more time to practise because being creative can be a lot of fun and also teaches me a lot of new things.

* Sadly I am in a phase of my life of maximum stress. It is so much work currently it's absolutely ridiculous. I don't even actually have the time for these lines but anyway.

* On a side note on the calendar this year: Maybe some artists do not have an easy access to every topic, or a spontaneous idea how to set up a scene.

So these are the main reasons why I did not partcipate in the calendar for this year and why I did not make much comments (I did some, and I still have a browser session open with pictures to write a kind or funny comment).
My standpoint is: If somebody used so much time to create nice art, then you should at least try to appreciate that and give some feedback with a few lines.
I was and am always interested in ElfQuest, but lack the time (at least currently).

Back in the days I was also approached if I'd help out with eqfa.com but I refused due to above mentioned stress level and due to the fact that I have some aspiration to get things done in a proper way. And I felt I was not experienced enough in webstuff. The underlying Linux would have been okay but the actual webstuff is not really my field. Furthermore I dislike servers without physical access: If something goes wrong you're in a dire situation.

On non-canon EQ creations: I don't mind. If it looks ElfQuestish enough it is fine for me. Of course we all have our favourite characters and probably everybody thinks his/her fav. char is not seen often enough in fanart. But then it seems EQ doesn't have such a huge fanbase like other things, like... ah I don't know what. This modern nowadays mediocre animestuff. All that pokemon stuff or whatever it is.
So I am happy about any contribution even if it features that pesky Cutter ;-)
(By the way I have two of these statues of him on my shelf so I don't actually hate him.)

I DEARLY HOPE that my stress will lower around autumn this year. Since also my health might not tolerate the current workload on long terms. Something in my life HAS to change (for the better).
I have a lot of things I wanted to do for such a long time but I always lacked time and money. I hope I'll finally get around to do all this.

Well, I hope none here will lose motivation even though the backflow sometimes seems to be stuck.

Obi-Rak Kaeliri

• The Silent One
  • Treewee
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire webcomic
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 04:07:56 PM »

Quote from: Tah-Marien
Oddly enough one of SweetWater Fan Club's first (ever) over seas members was Windwalker, known to me now as KAYEL.

Wooooow! I don't mean to derail the conversation, but I had to login to say "woooooow" on that. That was long ago and far away. I ended up in Pacific Northwest but curiously enough, I still have the fanzines I received back in Finland.

That's all.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 09:22:20 AM »

Alright, for now your response is enough for me.  ;D All I really wanted was to know that there were members that wanted to keep things going. But it would be nice to have some activity here aside from the calendar so please try your best to post art or at least stop by and leave a comment for those who do.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to leave a comment regarding my little rant, I know you are all busy and I appreciate the time you took to give me your opinion.

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 09:11:09 AM »

Whoops, I'm late to the conversation, as always! I just wanted to toss in my thoughts as well.

I too haven't been really active fan art-wise, and I'm not that good of a commenter either. I envy people who can think of something encouraging to comment about other people's work, because I'm not good at it, and I too don't want to say just "nice!", though it seems it's better than nothing. I should probably change my thought on that.  ;)

I've been a part of eqfa for quite a long time. I also joined for the reason to see new art about the canon characters, because that's what I love. It has always bothered me to see so much non-canon art (not just now, but maaany years back too), but I think it's better than nothing, and there are fan made characters I've gotten fond of during these years. Still, it does make me wish to see more canon fan art, even though I understand very well that it's more fun to draw the characters you've created with love. It's how I feel, too.

I used to have a personal rule of drawing one canon fan art for every non-canon art I wanted to post, but I haven't checked it for some time now, because I've mostly drawn canon art for the calendars now. It's kinda weird, because I hadn't really participated in the calendars until these few years ago, and now I feel I just want to participate every year.  ;D I'm hooked!

I think the idea about drawing/creating stuff for a quarterly theme would be cool, since I'm at my most productive when a calendar is coming up, and people discuss and fuss about it. I like the spike it creates in getting the community together. Also, it would be great for me personally, because I don't check this site every week (no wonder I'm late to every topic!), but I like to be active periodically.

I have no good advice to keep stuff coming in the site, but I know I can make time from my schedule to contribute more. Small improvements count too, right?  ;) It would make me sad to see this site to go, because (as some people already mentioned) it has this cozy feeling. Plus, this is the only place I submit my eq art to, because I know the people here appreciate it.  :)

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 02:20:04 PM »

AYOOOOH!! Yes! I would love to see more stuff here!... I check here pretty often, but usually I see this place has been so quiet that I have sneaked away. I even tried drawing some to inspire people, but nothing really happened, I mostly had only Treefox commenting... I too, felt very sad... like no one was interested anymore... BUT! we have done it in the past and we shall do it again! revive, my dear holt! RISE BRAVE WARRIORS! let us dance and fight! life gets no sweeter than this! if nothing else! I'll keep this site up even if I was the only one drawing!!... I personally thing it would be good to add some sort of rule about drawing few times per year. though sadly, we might lose Luna, she is all too busy with her baby and all... but we discussed it earlier and we are still trying to find a solution... but anyway! let's not give up now! this still is the only place in the whole wide internet that feels like home to me... you, all of you, mean so much to me...

But about the calendar's... well, those who know me know that I usually don't take part on big things like those... not my thing, really! and there are far more skilled people than me! but, if that's what it takes, I'll do my best and join in in the future!...

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 05:42:06 PM »

berit! about the calendars, its not about skill its about passion and with that passion comes growth! OMG you should have seen my FIRST calendar submission... it didn't even make it into the calendar!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 03:07:03 AM »

I am very happy that the site is staying for the time being. It's lovely to see so much traffic here. I really missed so much art while I was gone. And canon stuff as well!
I will definitely try to contribute more art and also not stop commenting, of course.
Let's see how everything will evolve this year!

And Berit, please participate in the calendar! I am sure you would come up with something different and wonderful!

Dreamcat

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 06:47:47 PM »

Well, here are my two cents about this.
I tumbled on this page roughly a year ago, so I can hardly tell how things used to be, but this is how I feel about it. I´m hardly involved in the forum (though I always tell myself to take the time and read more of the threads), I´m also not the biggest writer of comments, although I do enjoy reading them myself. However, I do greatly enjoy posting my my art here. I post them on Facebook too for my buddies to see, but it´s different, even when posting them in EQ groups or at SOC. I like this site because it´s an artist community and I get feedback from other artists. This is something quite valuable to me and I hardly find it anywhere else. DA may be an artist community too, but the quality of feedback is so much lower there and there´s so much spam it´s irritating. Maybe my pics reach a wider audience at Facebook, but most people liking and commenting there are neither artists nor EQ fans and just don´t have the insight to get me the feedback I yearn for.
I´m very grateful for this site and will continue posting my stuff here. I made a promise for this year to get more contact to other artists and I think this is a great place to start, since people share my interest here. I´d really like to see this site going on and I will gladly do my share to make it happen. ^^

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 12:43:50 PM »

Y'know....I have let myself get too caught up with making comments that are thoughtful and helpful. Performance anxiety would get me every time :p i take art critique so seriously that I freeze up.

But goshdarnit, I can just post short little "woooo, pretty!" and "love it!" things, so at least someone knows that I enjoyed their art!

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 04:14:46 PM »

Well, chalk up another "Damn, I'm late with reading and replying to a very important post..."

I have to very strongly agree with everyone that has posted in that EQFA. I do apologize sincerely and immensely on my absence, and even worse, failure to complete art for the past two calendar projects. Without dumping on everyone, the greatest problem for me has been a severe decline in health. Overall I'm quite healthy, but the injuries sustained from my car accident back in 2011 have taken a toll and I may be facing surgery in the next couple of months. I am often in too much pain to do much of anything. It has impacted my ability to focus, not to mention my emotional state. And when one is extremely depressed, one has little motivation to do much of anything.

I have also been involved in a lawsuit. I was NOT the defendant; in fact, it was to recoup money lost due to the accident. But on the plus side, I just purchased my very first house and the move consumed what little time I had not keeping my legs elevated. The new house is great, but my computer armoire was destroyed in the move, so my desktop computer is lying on my floor in pieces.

I completely understand the frustration and, quite possibly anger, you must feel, Maggie. As a holt leader running offline holts that publish, it's rare I don't have to chase after my members and beg, plead, and threaten for submissions. The concept of "no newsletter/fanzine without contributions" is often elusive. And I'm just too computer/technology stupid to run a website beyond the generic yahoo.

So, ultimately, I apologize for my absence profusely. I haven't done much art in so long, but, Maggie, it's been this website that's encouraged me to get back into it. I have picked up pen and pencil again and I've been working hard on material. As soon as I can, I will try and connect my scanner to my computer and start posting some art. A call for comments? You got it! Sure, I can ramble like anyone else, but most - if not all - artists LOVE to have some sort of critique, especially if it's positive. I will try and post a few comments and keep at it whenever I get the chance at work (work has seriously picked up in the last month).

I admit I'm one of the rare ones that actually prefers to see non-cannon characters; I really enjoy seeing other interpretations and the vivid imaginations people dedicate to their own characters. Of course the original EQ elves are the reason we're here and I love them all, but for some reason, I just enjoy seeing other people's elves posted (but I do like seeing cannon characters, do not misunderstand me). For me, try as I might, I just can never do Wendy Pini's gorgeous creations justice. I'll give it a try, though, but I'm never happy with what I ultimately end up with. Anyone else feel that way?

Count me in as one that is grateful and thrilled with all the hard (and expensive) work you've put into this website. I am a diehard fanatic of Elfquest; have been for many years and will be to the moment I keel over dead. The pointy ears have a hold on me that'll never let up. It's rare I'm NOT thinking of them. I don't bother with the other EQ websites, so this is it for me. I prefer the look of it and the community that inhabits it as well. If you need more interaction, I'm in.

Thank You Again to all that have done so much for this community!

Amberfox
I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 07:56:23 AM »

Amberfox, I feared that you disappeared due to your physical condition. I'm sorry that you're still having all this trouble...
By the way, as my PC was also destroyed by moving, I never could answer your email... so sorry for that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up