Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holts and Nostalgia  (Read 16110 times)

Amberfox

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Wolf
    • View Profile
Holts and Nostalgia
« on: May 20, 2013, 05:02:57 PM »

On and off, I've recently been skipping down nostalgia lane, skimming through old holt newsletters from long ago. It got me wondering where some of the members are now and what they're doing. Also made me think of the first holt I joined.  It was called Shadow Island and run by Diana L. Davis out of Atlanta, GA., and there she was at a small huckster's table at Fantasy Fair with all the newsletters and Elfquest related art. I had never heard of such a fandom where you could create your own characters and mingle with people all over the world, writing and drawing, just unleashing one's creative side to have it printed in a nifty little newsletter. After looking over some back issues and talking with Diana, I rushed to show her all the art I had done up to that point, handed over my membership fee, and marveled at it all.

So, what's my point?  Well, I'm just curious.  What was YOUR first holt you joined? Was it offline or online? And maybe we were in the same holt at some point and we just don't know it because we went by different names. I can also list the over 40 holts I have been in (most have sadly long since folded), maybe connect with someone.

And Berit, TahMarien...where are you guys?
I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride!

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
Re: Holts and Nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 05:27:12 AM »

I started offline, found out about Stormholt because of the ad that was in the dutch fanmagazine at the time, Wolfsong (which I found because they managed to get an ad in the back of the dutch translations of Elfquest). This was dice-based, like in the Elfquest roleplaying book.
When the owner moved to another country and we couldn't do the adding of extra stamps in envelopes, he went online and in english. Shortly after that I also joined my first forum based holt (in dutch), Staartjager Vallei -- and then the addiction began, lol.

I don't recall from the top of my head how many holts I've been in (and several I only did guest art for), but is probably more than 10. I often had more than 1 character though, so that one could be past the 50.
I'm not even sure where I know you from, Amberfox, perhaps Shadow Vale holt? I never was a member, but did a lot of guest art several years ago. :)

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »

I think that's where we first ran into each other, Shadow Vale Holt.  If you recall, I was Manzanitabow (etc) in that one.  It's also possible that we ran into each other in another holt prior to that, but I believe Shadow Vale is what got us in touch with each other.

Just for anyone curious, here's what I have of a list. Not at home at the moment, so there may be more lurking about somewhere. Very few of these are still active, most have folded, a few on hiatus. Would have put these in order, but was just too lazy to.

Holt of Grand Illusions
World Paths
Three Holts Alliance
Shadow Vale Holt
Sagewinds Holt
Crystal Waters Holt
Whisper Vine Holt
Seawinds Holt
Sunset Holt
Windhowl Holt/Blue Reef
Farcorners Holt
Traildusters Holt
Shadow Island Holt
Silver Sands Holt
Ravenwood Holt
Nightmoon Holt
Black Crystal Holt
Wolfgang
Timber Valley Holt
Holt of the Full Moons
Winterwind Holt
Surfsong Cliff Holt
Crab Apple Tree Holt
Mountain Tree Holt
Clearwater Holt
Cypresswood Holt
Homegrove Holt
Darkfalls Holt
Lone Oak Holt
Twin Moons Holt
Holt of the Restless Winds
Grand Oak Holt
Teardrop Twin Peaks
Renewed Lost Hope
Oceans' Edge Holt
Tailwater Holt
Tearshed Holt
Windshapers Holt
North Star Holt
Silver Sands Holt
King's Mountain
Shadowdancers Holt (German Holt)
Ancient Valley Holt
Cloudrunners Holt
Mist Falls Holt
Shadowmoon Holt
Lovemates Haven
Dark Haven
Woodland Falls
Dawning Falls
Plains Pride Holt
a jungle holt that I can't remember the name of and two others I can't recall their names now, either.

Pyreite

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 04:00:32 PM »

Well the first I recall joining seriously was probably Shadow-wolf, and a couple others like Sand Dune Valley, Last Resort, Howling Rock or Howling something, Dark-forest or Dark Falls I think >.>, Triple Glade, Three Lakes, Ocean's something could be Ocean's Edge >.> I can't remember, and a handful of others. 

Most of 'em folded so I lost interest in participating in rpgs after that, too much effort for too little return, especially when I never really got to play or expand on moi chars, so yah I eventually just resorted to small private rpgs with a couple friends, so that was fun too.

~ Pyre

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 07:54:04 AM »

Alas, I didn't get involved in EQ fandom until 2006, when I joined RTH.  I was introduced to the comics back in 1986, but it didn't occur to me that there would be fan-groups for it.  So I did EQ fan-art, but it wasn't widely shared.

My early print fandom experience was similar, though; it was just in Pern fandom, starting in 1982.  Very similar, "create your own character in this world" groups.  I was first part of Ista9, then also Fort9, Logres, and Kadanzer Weyrs.

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 05:28:51 PM »

I was briefly in Shadowwolf when Wendy (then) Brabitz started it up. I haven't kept up with it, I'm sorry to say, and my password just doesn't work anymore. I was in Darkfalls Holt ages ago.  The jungle holt I was in may have been Howling Rock, but I honestly can't recall now. Ocean's Edge, run by Sammie Whitaker, was really active for a while, but sadly, he's pretty much put it on hiatus...may fold.  What characters did you have over there, if you can recall?

Honestly, and I may be all alone here, I prefer newsletters to RPGing online. When you game with an online group, there tends to be a lot of activity at first, then it all just fades off.  Sad.

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 05:31:06 PM »

Eregryn, I wish I'd known that sooner. I have a friend that would've loved to be a part of the Pern fandom. Are any of them still active, do you know?

Pyreite

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 06:06:50 PM »

>.> Well in Ocean's Edge I think I played a glider or something.  She was a female elf LOL I remember that much, someone's relative or something.  Gah.  That was a decade ago now T__T my brain is not cooperative that far back XD.

o.O Pern?  XD Yah was a fan of the books like totally until recently when I stopped reading them off my bookshelf, got lots but yah I've read them all!  I did try looking for a Pernish rpg once or twice but none of the groups I looked into at the time were very active :(.  Aw well, it's nice to hear that others liked the series too!  XD

~ Pyre

Tah-Marien

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 01:57:59 PM »

Hell-o   AMBERFOX  !  ! 

Sorry to have been gone so long!  (Sent you my email so we can stay in touch)   I joined an online fan club and it took a few of my online hours away.  Most gladly.  And I am learning a whole lot.  The hard part is; being mostly deaf on one side- I did not realize how much I relied on voice and body language and touch to see into and about a person. (I am learning how to story-line communicate online -  "slowly")  *sigh*

Anyhoo   .   . ..

SSooo  .  .  I started with an in town (in person)  fan club group that expanded to International-before Online existed - -  ? What I miss about "Old Fashioned Fandom"  isn't just the Newsletter Meetings  (and more) ? - -   I miss people.  &  Puppy piles and late night campfires.  &  drawing  circles.  & writing pow-wows and camp outs that last a week.    I miss walking to the park at 2 am & drinking Mountain Dew until 4.  Hugs and people to call a midnight for a kind word of hope -  That is what most of those 42 eflguest fan people where to me from SweetWater Holt.  We learned that when the misfits band together we can rule the world.

What I like about the new online interaction is making a new kind of  friend and seeing More ELFQUEST (R)  art.  So much art !    Wow. -  -   I could never have imagined it 35 years ago.  And so many Styles of art, from Traditional to Digital and everywhere in  between -  -  I am truly overwhelmed by it all.

I look forward to all that I can learn from  new friends far away and new Art to study.  Ha rah !

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:22:39 AM by Tah-Marien »
OC / PC    ChangeStone  _    SweetWater Holt
http://tah-marien.deviantart.com/

Tah-Marien

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »

Tribes of Elfquest I drew for and / or helped develop :

Wolf's Find Holt
Very Traditional wolfriders of the tenth generation.  Very much Cannon.

SweetWater Holt
WolfRiders - Traditional.  Wolves and all.   But higher magics in the evolution.   Two wolf Packs left this tribe forever separated.  Finally a volcano was rock shaped with inner working caves for the more pure blooded wolves and their bonds  to live outside - and the rest of the tribe and pack, with the more elven blooded Wolves, dwell ed inside.  Even the e-wolves had magic's, of a lesser, sort.

Cay Islands
Highones  and many centuries of their descendants.  With preservers and ocean wildlife Bonds of friendship. Secret islands and strange things in wrap stuff on a Preserver Island that the elves didn't even know what they had inside.

RavenWater
Highones, descendants and bird bonds.  This tribe was Elfquest meets the Hawkbrothers of M. Lackey.  Magic ties to the land and all.

Canopy Elves
Highones, and their descendants with pieces of the palace in their lofty village.  They rode a sort of Star Wars Ton-ton and had very high Floater Magics and were skilled warriors.

The Pride 
Highones and mixed blood with great prairie cats.  Very similar to the wolfriders but with the bond and evolution involving a Feline tint.

DeepHaven
Highones who shape changed themselves and their surroundings to accommodate very deep water pressure. Involving a new form of elf that was needed as a third party for an birthing triangle.  This strange new elf was a carrier, like a kangaroo, complete with pouch for child incubation.   

Squirrel Chatter
A  category for all other what- if's we wanted  *   all in good fun * and not a part of timeline or storyline.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:29:13 AM by Tah-Marien »

Kojiyumi

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 12:28:22 PM »

What an interesting holt-variety!  I'm rather fond of cat-elves myself. :3

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 04:57:17 AM »

I find it interesting that so many people belong/have belonged to holts (and that there existed so many holts, wow!), as I have never belonged to one. I don't think I knew about holts before joining eqfanart. The commitment that it takes to manage one is admirable!

Peacekeeper

• Treewee
  • Steve Thomas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 10:55:56 PM »

Wow, I miss my old holt.  We were a part of the old EQ Fan Club in 1982, and our name was Mountainview Holt.  I was the contact for the holt, and my elf was the Chief Councillor named Peacekeeper (still is). He is a bearrider and was also a mind healer for the holt.  I still can't believe my old chief Moonrunner (my buddy Len) works down the hall in my office from me for the time being.  It would be great to have a reunion of some sort and see how the other members are doing and have been.  Have a memorial for our fallen elves.  But you know how real life can be.  I'd be surprised if even half of them wonder how the others are doing.

I've been taking PK and his bear-friends around 'adventures' (other holts) and keeping kind of a log of his travels loosely.  Right now again he is looking for a holt.  There is one I'm looking at that there is talk of reviving it, and that is SweetWater Holt.  I've really wanted to find a holt without too many restrictions, and maybe even have a new home for my elf.  We will see, but for now it's nice to remember again old elf mates and good to reach out to others and their old holts!

Steve (Peacekeeer)
The elves were about to attack the bear...until they saw an elf riding on top of it!

Tah-Marien

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 05:43:44 PM »

Hey there PEACEKEEPER !   Welcome. Welcome to EQFA !

How nice of you to have an interest in my Club.  SweetWater was my blood and tears for a very long playing time.  But I was not the only one who loved the Fan World we had set up.  As official D.O.R.K. (see Leader - which by any other name *shrug* still means "little red hen")  I have to say there has indeed been talk between me and Cat-twin of trying to get the club online and in a playable order.

Sadly, neither of us know anything about computer, online, fan gaming.  We can sit around and talk til the cows come home about all the things we would do with an Online active SweetWater - but if we do not have the skills - well - It just is not going to happen in the near future.

And truth to tell: me and my Editor (see Quickwind) believe that if we ever put out anything it will probably be a Guide of how to do an in-town fan club.  Because THAT is what we were so very, very  good at !   

I  will still leave ALL possibilities open for the future.  And we have enough animal bonder's who would understand about the Bear - you would just have to make it past the HUNT that lives around our borders.  Pure wolves are so much harder to deal with than elf-blooded ones !  For sure and Mary!

Again - Thank You for the interest.  Keep those pointy ears cocked to the future -  for we can never predict that ! ! 

. .

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 01:24:27 PM »

Pyrite: I think your character was Moon...uh...something. I could be wrong. It's been a long time and sadly Sammie doesn't seem to be working toward a revival

Kojiyumi: I've been in a few feline blooded and/or bonded holts over the years. They are (or were) out there. My holt, Holt of Grand Illusions, allows for them and has quite a  few, and my other, World Paths, allows for them and even has a lion bonding holt.

Czarine: Being a holt leader isn't admirable, it's a glutton for punishment. I think we're just masochists. Still, it's fun!

Peacekeeper: Ayooah and welcome! I don't think I recall a Mountainview Holt; where were you out of? Makes me want to dig up my old newsletters and see if I can find reference to it somewhere. A lot of holts back then would advertise for others. Yeah, I know how it is. It's another reason I started this thread was to see if I could find some of the "old gang" from the various holts I used to be in. Seems either they're not on this site, no longer into EQ in general, or are just avoiding me. As for holts, I have two (Holt of Grand Illusions and World Paths) where there are bear bonded elves (I think we have a bear blood in HGI). I can recommend one other that is offline, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for. HGI and World Paths don't have a lot of restrictions, but you might not be interested in the idea of both being offline (with online presence); HGI also doesn't really allow for healers right now (although that may change) but there's room in World Paths. I agree completely! I wish we could hear from more old holt leaders and members.

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 01:35:28 PM »

Ayooooooah Tah-Marien!

It's been quite a while; did you get my last email some months ago? Yeah, I agree with you, but I think we had discussed this before. HGI was mostly an offline holt with publications, but many of the members were local and we'd get together nearly every weekend for both days. Talk about how silly the role play games would get after 10-12 hours of non-stop gaming! But they were so much fun and we'd be wired on Mountain Dew and popcorn. Two other members were artists and we'd often get together and draw all night as well, sometimes while the games were ongoing. It was great to have someone close by to help provide constructive critique; there was always something the artist couldn't see but another could. Sometimes our player members would have marathon writing sessions where we'd literally tag team the computer and add our characters actions/thoughts to what someone else had just done. Ah, those were the nights!

What I enjoy about online holts are that it's much faster and a hell of a lot cheaper. But I still somehow prefer publications and there's nothing more delightful than getting something other than junk mail and bills in your regular mailbox.

Still sad that you're not reviving Sweetwater Holt as a print holt; I have all these orphaned elves in dire need of homes.

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 03:45:39 PM »

AQYOOOH! Sorry! I didn't notice this before! (Berit is kinda slow that way)... Well... I never was in a holt... if you don't count the one I had with Luna... at first she wasn't interested on the subject and I was alone with my elfquest thing for quite a while... but when she got interested it slowly started rolling from there! and then Czarine joined in as well!... so... that the hold then and that's what it's now!... and Sorry, everyone, for not being here... I've had quite many ups and downs lately... but I don't want to ruin people's spirits by talking about it all here... but I'm feeling pretty sad currently... none the less! things will brighten up now that I'm back here!... back home...

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 05:46:17 PM »

Ayooooooooooooooah Berit! It's so great that you're back. I promise to start posting comments to your wonderful art; I've been terrible about it, but I'm trying to get back into it. I myself have had far too many ups and downs, but mostly downs. I've missed chatting with you. Maybe now that I'm trying to get back into art and writing, I can finish that illo I started a while back - Marut with mysELF Rainforest. I don't know if Marut is yoursELF, but I thought it would be fun to draw our main(?) characters together. It has been so very long since I've paid attention to her and it's time to do just that. I'm also working on a new one of Terra since I am so embarrassed of the one I did back in 2010 (I think). I've really been inspired to make a comeback, I hope I can manage to do something before the depression, medication, and severe pain overwhelm me again.

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 08:23:21 PM »

Well! it seems we are both a bit down at the moment, so what better way to express yourself than though art? it makes it far more easier, even though it sometimes feels that it doesn't... And Marut is sort of my main character, but he is only one of them!... I have many... I draw him the most, but I honestly couldn't say who I'm the most!... Amberfox... I wish you the best... hehehe... let us watch the rest of the world from our branches... alright?...

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 01:35:45 AM »

And from our treebranch fortresses, we can take aim at the humans that pass below us.

I'm very down at the moment (and have been) and it takes a toll on my drawing. Nothing I do looks remotely good and I get more and more frustrated. We are, after all, our worst critics. Yeah, Amberfox is one of my main characters (got a few of them), but Rainforest was my very first true character (I played around with creating a tribe so very long ago). She has a lot of my attributes, especially my personality. Gotta finish that illo.

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 03:59:56 AM »

Hmmh, we both seem to be having some depression issues currently... but criticism on my own art, I actually tossed that out of the window years ago! I actually hope people would stop drawing to impress, because in a way, that kills the essence, the creativity of art... I think the essence of art is that the artist has fun and thus others can have fun too! in my point of view people who try to impress tend to draw only stiff pictures in the end or they stop drawing altogether at some point... so have fun when you draw! it may seem impossible now but the more you do it the easier and more fun it gets! Don't worry about the outcome! show it to the world even if it turns out to be crap!... come on! try it! draw something absolutely stupid and try to use only 5 or 10 minutes when you do it!...

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »

Yeah, yesterday I hit rock bottom but managed not to kill anyone (let alone myself). Feeling a bit better today, and the intense pain in both my knees is better, too. Monday and Tuesday my pain levels were so high I could barely manage to walk. When I did, I nearly fell over. Felt like my knees were trying to explode. But anyway, I think I have met your challenge! I did another new drawing featuring Amberfox and Marut. I did a literal stick figure for both, sketched in the flesh, and made changes after that regarding some details- I'm done in a fairly short time. Need to ink it in now. Hope to have it posted by this weekend.

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 12:19:46 AM »

Uuu!! Can't wait to see! I'm very happy to see you draw and when you draw Marut, none the less! Berit happy! good, GOOD!... and ts good to hear you are a little better, living with pain is never a good thing... I've done so for years now... not as bad as your pains, but most of the time I hope pain would be a physical being that I could punch in the the face,,,

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 05:23:45 PM »

Yup! I actually have two illos of Marut in the works: one with Amberfox, the other with my sELF, Rainforest. I'm about half done with the Amberfox one, the other is still rather sketchy. But I'm back and I'm working diligently on plenty of art. It's been far too long since I even picked up a pencil. Sadly, the pain has gotten worse. I had a recent NEW doc look me over and he decided on the spot to put me through a rather nasty procedure. A few hours afterwards, I couldn't even walk. I was racked with pain so badly that my handicapped mother had to loan me her walker and help me get to the bathroom. It was utterly miserable. I'm just grateful my mother was there to help me. I'm still in plenty of pain; almost fell over at work from it, but life goes on. Even had to work late today...sigh. Art, however, is keeping me from going completely insane.
Pages: [1]   Go Up