Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Poll

Which theme do you prefer for this year's fan calendar?

Dreamscapes
- 5 (41.7%)
Pairings
- 2 (16.7%)
Contrasts
- 3 (25%)
Otherness
- 0 (0%)
Teachers & Leaders
- 2 (16.7%)
EQ Goes to the Movies
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: June 29, 2013, 12:33:52 PM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Calendar Theme Discussion 2014  (Read 37849 times)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
Calendar Theme Discussion 2014
« on: May 18, 2013, 09:24:53 AM »

It’s that time of year again and I have decided to start up the thread so we can discuss possible themes for this year’s fan calendar.

To get you started thinking about themes, here are the past ones:

Past Themes:

2013 Every Picture Tells a Story
2012 Pinups
2011 Hidden Moments
2010 Finding One's Place
2009 The Magic of Elfquest
2008 Favorite Moments
2007 Home and Family
2006 Elf Art Through the Ages (Art History with an Elfin twist)
2005 Beloved Dead
2004 Then and Now
2003 Celebrations
2002 no theme

Themes on the current ballot:

Contrasts: Day & Night, Young & Old, Good & Evil, Warriors & Healers, Starsong & Wolfsong - the Elfquest saga offers many studies in contrasts.

Elfquest Goes to the Movies:  Very much like Elfquest through the Ages, except our favorite elves do Hollywood; iconic movie characters and/or movie posters or scenes.  (This would be an awesome theme to have if and when an EQ movie comes out)

Otherness, inter-species relations:  When the High Ones crashed on the WOTM, they were forced to relate to other species in a way they never dreamt of before.  Humans, Trolls, Preservers, Bond Beasts, the Neverending.  Throughout their history, the relationships have ranged from enemies, hunter/prey, to god/worshipper, to friend, and many in between.

Teachers and Leaders: A tribute to those who provide(d) guidance.

So let's get talking about a theme!

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: Calendar Theme Discussion 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 09:29:26 AM »

This is just me but I would love to do an emotive portrait calendar, where whatever emotion you choose is expressed with just the characters facial features.  ;D

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 10:54:05 AM »

I quite like all of these themes (we still didn't do contrasts??? lol), except for the movies one. I just don't like such an AU for the calendar.

Wolfrider

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 08:26:44 PM »

Well, I actually love the idea of doing movie posters with the elves in. I particularly had the idea years ago of recreating the Casablanca film poster, but with Cutter, Leetah and Rayek in place of Rick, Ilsa and Victor Lazlo (and Renault would be Skywise!).

Treefox

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 11:03:08 AM »

I still like contrasts a lot, but I also would contribute to any of these themes.

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 01:50:09 PM »

Without creating a new theme of my own to throw in, I'd vote contrasts. It would really leave artists a lot of options and provide for some really interesting images.  As for Elfquest Goes to the Movies, I believe that has actually been done somewhere else.  I've seen several illos, may even have some saved to my computer, but can't recall now where that was.  The Casablanca idea was one already used, too.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride!

Wolfrider

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »

Contrasts does sound interesting. I suppose I'm for that one.

Pyreite

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 04:07:11 PM »

Well the contrast one sounds kewl in any of its variations, though, for a laugh I would vote for the movie one too but with a Lord of the Rings spin, can't help it I am a fan of Tolkien.  Plus I think it would be hilarious to find what a Timmain version of Galadriel wearing actual clothes instead of just her hair (face it she'd make the Tolkien elves faint with her impropriety), dressing up poor Winnowill as either the Witch-Queen of Angmar, or a gigantic headless eyeball, take your pick.  Plus I think that her trollish son, yes I forget his name, so throw bananas would make a fantastically hairy Gollum, face it he's obsessive over Venka, and Cutter as a furry-footed hobbit, or Strongbow as a rather short version of Legolas!  Maybe we could convince the archer to dye his hair blonde!  Maybe not! XD

Just my two cents

~ Pyre
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 04:09:03 PM by Pyreite »

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 10:10:47 AM »

Yes, the movies idea has been a contest theme at an older version of this site, a few years ago. I don't recall making an entry myself but I do remember images others made.
Even though I think there were some amazing entries in the art AU calendar, I didn't participate in that one either.

I can't help it, I like canon stuff for something as big as the calendar. I like to think of stuff I've seen or read about or remember being hinted at, and give my view/angle on that. Hidden Moments is still my fave past calendar theme! I like something as challenging and fun to do as that. :)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 06:30:12 PM »

Woo, a discussion which is awesome.  ;D

I have to say I am a little surprised though...no new ideas?

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 09:03:28 AM »

Kahvi said differences make good sparks.

This gave me another idea for the calendar theme. What about pairings?

Now I don't necessarily mean lovers when I say pairings as there can be all types: Lovers, friends, enemies, and strangers just to name a few.

I can see this theme offering up humour as well as an unseen glimpse into a characters mind. You could pair almost anyone together to create a moment fraught with emotion, hilarity or even contempt.

For example, what would it look like if Moonshade and Leetah had a task to complete together? Both characters are strong willed ladies which means working together could prove difficult and the task at hand could end up being a total disaster.

What if Pike wanted to spend the day with Strongbow, would humour ensue or would pike end up being tied to a tree?

There are a lot of different and exciting possibilities and I feel like this theme could be a lot of fun, which would be a nice change from last year’s theme which was a little more on the complicated side.

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »

Haha, discussion well, then I'll also tell you why, because that might help understanding;
I don't like to put a lot of work into an image that is already made up by someone else. That's what I feel the movies theme would do.

Therefor I really like this pairings idea as well! :D
It could go in any direction, you'd have a lot of freedom; which characters to put together other than who they're usually paired with. Which story to pick (which time), what they're doing and the whole composition part of course.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:59:04 AM by afke »

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 05:25:58 AM »

I totally get what you are saying about the movies theme, I'm not fond of that idea either. One because it would be a copy of something already done and two because it really isn't canon. If we want to go with something non-canon, I can think of better ways to do so.  ;D

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 11:25:16 AM »

Contrasts and pairings would also allow for you to jump timelines and holts, for example, TwoSpear versus (or paired with) Strongbow? Cutter and Huntress Skyfire? Lord Voll and SunToucher? I'll try and think of a topic over this week. Been busy and it's not slowing down for me anytime soon.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride!

Wolfrider

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 06:19:12 PM »

It's Elfquest's 35th Anniversary, so we could somehow fit that in to a theme, somehow...

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 09:27:22 AM »

I just wanted to say that I haven't chimed in because I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other -- whatever theme is decided on, I'll try to come up with something for it. :)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 04:57:07 PM »

Hehe, well that's good Holly, you'll be happy no matter what. However, in order to get themes on the ballot, more than one person has to say they like it (in fact I believe 3 people have to chime in). So as of now we just have the old standbys for the poll.

Your opinion matters, if you like any of the suggestions for new themes please let us all know so they have a chance of getting a spot on the official poll to decide the theme.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 10:37:02 PM »

I like the pairings idea, but I think all pairings should be canon as well. I also like the idea of incorporating 35th anniversary, but how could we set that apart from the 25th anniversary calendar? I find it hard to imagine a picture that emphasizes the 35th anniversary without showing something that has been shown so many times already.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »

Yep, the parings would be canon and I think you are right about the 35th anniversary, what could we possibly do that would some how be specific to 35 years.

Anyway, I am hoping to put a poll up this weekend so we can get this sorted, if anyone has any more ideas please let us know.

catmahathy

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 10:00:01 AM »

I'm not familiar with ALL of the myriad themes that have been done over the years, so feel free to laugh at me if this is old news, but how about EQ dreamscapes? Maybe depict a character sleeping and a dream image/sequence that you think would be appropriate for the character? IDK... its a long shot, but I'm just trying to come up with some different ideas.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 06:23:31 PM »

That is a very interesting idea actually. Thanks for sharing cat.  ;D

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 01:10:46 PM »

Hmm, we had the suggestions of "teachers & leaders" and "contrasts" before, right? Since I can't submit art (too little time) I should not suggest others what to draw. But all of them sound interesting, offering chances and challenges for everybody. Movies could be funny, otherness sounds challenging, teachers and leaders and contrasts brings me instant ideas. (Ekuar/Rayek and Rayek vs. Fleabag ;) or Winnie vs. Leetah). I guess I'll be fine with all kinds of topics as long as elfquest art is served. :)

catmahathy

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 11:30:19 AM »

How about "predator and prey"? Doesn't have to be hunter/animal. It could a male or female and their love interest. Or two rival enemies. Could even be wolves hunting prey or just flirting with each other. Once again, if this has been done let me know.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 01:14:05 PM »

Oooo, I really like your ideas, cat! I think this should be an option, indeed.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »

Ok here's the deal, the rules before I took over were pretty clear. Basically three people had to say yes to a theme idea to get it on the ballot for voting, which I think is a rule that should be kept (although I am unclear on whether or not the person thinking up the theme counts as a vote but for arguments sake let's say they do count).

I Like both Cat's ideas, as well as both my ideas (because of course I thought of them)  ;D and what I am thinking is I would like to scrap the old ideas in favour of the new ones that have been thought up but that means more people have to say hey, that is a good idea so they can be on the official poll.

I'm not saying that the old themes are bad ones, I just think it would be nice to have something new rather than choose an old theme that just hasn't had it's day in the sun yet. This is only my personal opinion but ideally for me as the calendar organizer, I would love to see new ideas each and every year.

I understand that may not happen but there are new and fresh ideas being served up this time around so I figure why not use them. However I don't want to step on any toes so please let me know if this doesn't sit well with you.

As I see it, Parings along with Predator & Prey have been given enough thumbs up to land on the poll. There is still Emotive portraits and Dreamscapes to think about. And if you feel strongly that a past theme should be on the ballot than let me know.

I would very much like to put the poll up this weekend so we can get the voting out of the way and start working on some art.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up