Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 2013 Fan Calendar Guidelines  (Read 130523 times)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
2013 Fan Calendar Guidelines
« on: July 07, 2012, 01:53:57 PM »

2013 Fan Art Calendar Guidelines

The theme for the 2013 Elfquest Fan Art Calendar is:
Every Picture Tells a Story

Submissions for the 2013 Calendar Contest are being accepted:
July 9th through November 23rd, 2012

THEME
  • Submitted artwork should represent the theme "Every Picture Tells a Story."
  • Elfquest is a comic - comics mean telling a story with art (maybe words, too) in panels. Each entry would be a single image made up of at least two, but probably no more than six panels (please PM Maggie if you plan on having more than six panels).  They can be arranged any way you like but the total image must conform to the calendar size (TBD).  The story: any theme you like because the theme is telling a story!  What kind of story - well, it doesn't have to be (and probably shouldn't be) too complicated.  Just a little interaction between characters: something funny or sweet or violent or action-packed.  (Note: this is not a "what if," it has to be canon-compatible).

CONTENT
  • Entries must be original artwork created specifically for the calendar. The use of photos or "borrowed" art for backgrounds is not allowed.
  • Entries must not be available for the general public to view online until the okay is given for general sharing. Before then, any entries found online in any form (thumbnails, crops, etc.) will be disqualified and removed.
  • Canon Elfquest characters (of any race) only. No what-if characters (i.e., Worldpool).
  • PG-13 or under.

FORMAT
  • All entries should be in full color.
  • Size: 8" X 10" (vertical)
  • Resolution: 2400 X 3000 pixels @300dpi
  • File format: JPEG or PNG (Cafe Press recommends PNG files to prevent ghosting when the calendar is printed)

HOW TO SUBMIT
  • Calendar entries will be viewed by the judging panel at Elfquest Fan Art http://www.elfquestfanart.net and displayed there once the calendar is published. However, due to size constraints at the site, you will still have to email your full-sized entry to Maggie. Please PM Maggie when you have an entry ready to be submitted.
  • Artists may submit up to three entries.
  • Entries must be received by midnight PST, November 23rd, 2012.
  • Include the following:
    • Title (Required):  Title of your submission.  Titles will be included on the calendar.
    • Description (Optional):  Any text/story/quote you feel enhances your artwork.
    • Keywords (Optional):  Keywords are used for the gallery "search" feature only.  After final selections have been made, all submissions will be made available to visitors.
    • Artist Credits (Required):  Will be included on the calendar.  Your real name or preferred artist's credit name.
    • Preferred Month (Optional):  What month you would like your entry to be featured on (no guarantees, though).
    • Email (Required)
CREDIT
  • The artist credit and the email listed with your entry will used for credits.
  • The Warp Graphics, Inc. copyright will be included for you.

PUBLISHING
  • The twelve winners will be chosen by a panel of judges: Sonny Strait, Maggie Atkinson (TBA)
  • The finished calendar will be available for download at elfquest.com and at elfquestfanart.net. In addition, the Calendar will most likely be published at Elfquest's Cafe Press shop. Proceeds from the sale of the Fan Calendar will go to Wolf Park. http://www.wolfpark.org
QUESTIONS
  • Any questions about the calendar may be asked and answered on this thread or PM Maggie.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:17:27 PM by Maggie »

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
Re: 2013 Fan Calendar Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:30:21 PM »

So... it's not decided yet what the size should be, but also not the shape? Square / landscape / portrait?

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:19:04 AM »

So... it's not decided yet what the size should be, but also not the shape? Square / landscape / portrait?

We are looking into a portrait type calendar on Cafe Press, it is 11 x 17 I believe but we have yet to find out about how big the image is, as the calendar grid shares the page with the image. Hopefully we'll know soon.

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:52:07 AM »

Yeah, I'm helping Maggie figure out where to publish this, and it looks like we are going to go back to letting Richard publish it at Cafe Press.  Has anyone here ever ordered one of their vertical calendars?  Like this one: http://www.cafepress.com/elfquest.188066915
If so, can you measure the actual image space for us?

Treefox and Maggie were interested in these calendar images not only being in panels like a comic, but actually being the usual comics dimensions.  It looks like it works reasonable well with the CP vertical calendar (as seen in the link above - those are comics covers).  I figure most of you should be at the idea stage at this time, but unless artists don't want to do a vertical format for some reason, plan on something around a comics page dimension.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 05:54:13 AM »

I may have stumbled on to some details about size, hopefully I will be able to add that to the guidelines sometime this week (fingers crossed).

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 06:55:28 AM »

The “Format” and “Publishing” sections have been updated in “Calendar Guidelines”.

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »

It should be noted that the 8 x 10 inches is vertical or portrait oriented.   ;)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 11:47:26 AM »

And that is why you have been in charge for so many years. Thanks.  ;D

Tah-Marien

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 12:55:45 PM »

Can these entries be collaborations?    IE  -   I am not great at coloring but may be able to talk a friend into helping me.  My own style would take way too long in the Panel Format to finish in time. 
OC / PC    ChangeStone  _    SweetWater Holt
http://tah-marien.deviantart.com/

Wildfire

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 01:39:27 PM »

Ohhh, Sonny Strait is one of the judges? That's pretty cool! Also, you guys are awesome, you put so much work and time into these things <3

I'll definitely enter, I'm off to brainstorming now.

Should we include a border around the panels or will it be added automatically afterwards?

catmahathy

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 03:56:31 PM »

Alright, I'm sold. I'll get to work on it. What was the deadline? You guys know I'm a procrastinator, but I'm really trying to get better about that....  ::)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 05:27:21 PM »

Alright, I'm sold. I'll get to work on it. What was the deadline? You guys know I'm a procrastinator, but I'm really trying to get better about that....  ::)

Sweet! Deadline November 23rd, 2012!

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 05:28:41 PM »

Ohhh, Sonny Strait is one of the judges? That's pretty cool! Also, you guys are awesome, you put so much work and time into these things <3

I'll definitely enter, I'm off to brainstorming now.

Should we include a border around the panels or will it be added automatically afterwards?

Yep, Sonny has agreed to be a judge.  ;D

I am thinking as of now, no border. If we do go with a border I think it makes sense for them all to match.

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 08:24:30 PM »

Oh lord... I dont know what I am going to draw... mutter mutter mutter two panels maybe.. Story that has not been drawn to death... Grumbles to herself.

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 12:03:13 AM »

So nice Sonny will be a judge. :)

Oh, perhaps a tip if you find it difficult to think of an idea because there's not really a theme (myself included)... think of ideas you had for previous calendars, but had to discard because you had no time, or the idea wouldn't really come across because you needed an extra panel? :) Or whatever reason you didn't go through with it, but could still work.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 12:22:28 AM »

@ Tah-Marien: we have done collaborations in the past with great succes, so go ahead! Just give the coloring artists proper credit. Just look at the collaboration between afke and Bonita for Newstar in the pinup calendar or nilla's collaboratin with Jeedai for Jink. I think they look great!

@ silentleaf: if you still cannot think of anything, just drop me a line, I have several ideas going. :D

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 08:06:29 PM »

good news! two ideas in the works. whew !

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 12:49:25 PM »

NOOOO my wacom tablet is not working!! CRY~!!!

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 01:10:56 PM »

I have a few ideas myself.

Also, I'm going to be open for coloring.
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Kilinka

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 11:22:58 AM »

Really looking forward to getting mine started. Got my thumbnails all planned out!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 11:31:47 AM »

Hello and welcome! We would be happy to get an entrance from you!

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 07:57:10 AM »

Really looking forward to getting mine started. Got my thumbnails all planned out!

Well hello again! I contacted you on dA, happy you have you here. Looking forward to seeing your calendar page.  ;D

Amberfox

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »

Ayoooooooah!  I have a couple of ideas as well...now if I could just get the ideas in my head onto paper to look as good as the ideas, darn it!
I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride!

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »

I am sure you'll manage.  :D

Tah-Marien

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 10:19:14 PM »

Question  R   -  Canon Characters ?   Can the the   Blood of Ten Chiefs   Novels be accepted material ?   Or  are the  Novels considered  Worldpool ?   
OC / PC    ChangeStone  _    SweetWater Holt
http://tah-marien.deviantart.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up