Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elfquest.com "upgrade"  (Read 16230 times)

Jeb

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
Elfquest.com "upgrade"
« on: June 21, 2012, 07:19:19 AM »

Well, they did it. They managed to remove any and all redeeming features and make elfquest.com a facebook replica. Ugh!

>:(

Facebook is the evil empire, and now the Pini's fall to the dark side is complete.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:23:38 AM by Jeb »

Startear

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: Elfquest.com "upgrade"
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 07:37:39 AM »

Yes, I saw that. Haven't surfed much, but what I've imidiately noticed is that the search option is gone. Seeing that I use this button fairly often, either to relocate fanfics or character threads, I mourn it already.

Funny, everytime I see that there is going to be an upgrade, I hope they'll fix the broken codes in the very old posts...
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Jeb

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 07:49:42 AM »

Search is still there at the top of the Scroll of Colors page.

nilla

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 07:50:27 AM »

I can't even log in.
Not that I care anymore. The site's most active section is the freaking Game Section, not any of the threads that is actually about eq.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:57:29 AM by nilla »

Jeb

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 09:28:51 AM »

That's the way I've been feeling about it lately, too.

And now that I'm over my initial gut reaction of "Noooooo!" I'm realizing that it probably hasn't changed that much from how it was before, it just looks more facebook-y now. But that's enough to put me off, anyway. (Facebook really is Big Brother in a user-friendly package.)

If we do end up needing to register again, I'm not sure I'll make the effort.

(As I was typing this, I was wondering about this strange buzzing I was hearing, and since there's been a moth invasion this year, I assumed it was a moth caught in the window blind. It was only after I logged off here that I realized I had EQ.com open in another tab and it was that annoying Petalwing curser. I so wish they'd get rid of that - it makes my netbook freeze everytime.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:33:31 AM by Jeb »

nilla

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:57:24 AM »

If we do end up needing to register again, I'm not sure I'll make the effort.

I emailed Richard earlier today and it turns out you have to your actual email as your login name.

(As I was typing this, I was wondering about this strange buzzing I was hearing, and since there's been a moth invasion this year, I assumed it was a moth caught in the window blind. It was only after I logged off here that I realized I had EQ.com open in another tab and it was that annoying Petalwing curser. I so wish they'd get rid of that - it makes my netbook freeze everytime.)

That's odd. It doesn't show up for me. It might be because the link I use goes directly to the 'social' page. It only shows up if I go by the wolfhead front page and click 'skip' button and get to the main site that way.

Jeb

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 10:07:53 AM »

That's odd. It doesn't show up for me. It might be because the link I use goes directly to the 'social' page. It only shows up if I go by the wolfhead front page and click 'skip' button and get to the main site that way.

That's the way I usually do it, too - bypass the whole howling bit - but I was going to the main page for the link to the EQ facebook page to see if there had been any response there. That's why hearing that noise was so strange.

nilla

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 10:31:37 AM »

Aaah.

Personally, the howling intro makes me cringe ever time I somehow managed to click it something that leads me to it...

nilla

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 11:22:13 AM »

Also, I didn't think the site's chat system could get any worse, but daaamn. 

Jeb

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 01:35:49 PM »

Well, having logged in and poked around a bit, I've decided the "new" website really isn't much different from the old one, except that it looks a lot more like facebook now.

Which really confuses me - it seems almost like Richard is trying to lure the facebook users to EQ.com by making it more familiar to them, but the people on facebook are there because they like facebook - it's got their games and their friends and they're going to go there anyway. Going to another site seems like it would just be inconvenient, no matter how much like facebook it is. Hell, it seems like most of the time Richard can't even be bothered to go to EQ.com. So it seems like he's just doing his best to kill the enjoyment of those of us who don't want the facebook experience.

:-\

Ah well. I think I've gotten the ranting out of my system now. I'll just watch and see what happens.

nilla

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 01:41:20 PM »

Hell, it seems like most of the time Richard can't even be bothered to go to EQ.com.
I got that notion too at some point last year.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 11:22:47 PM »

Wah! That's....definitely Facebook. Well, I didn't like the Scroll after the change and now I like it even less. It's really too bad, because I used to love that place and people there and couldn't wait to log in and see what was going on every day... But this is just not for me.

TrollHammer

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 01:39:04 AM »

My personal thoughts, scrambled as they may be...

In a sense, it might not have been an option not to switch. I was trying to figure out why the site was so buggy and learned that they were using phpFox, which is a facebook clone. The big issues was that the Pinis got suckered into buying the buggiest version of phpFox ever developed, and if you follow the forums there it seems that the version was more or less abandoned before it fully matured. Im guessing that to continue getting updates and security patxhes, they had to switch to a newer version (or competitor, havent checked it out yet as I just saw the change a few hours ago).

The site switxh just seems to be nothing more than a face lift and switch around of the options. There are bugs already, such as my groups showing up twice (doubled).

Personally, it wont put me.off (thoigh it does frustrate me as.much as Windows changing icons all the time), but it definately wont make me.use it more.  If nothing else, its a longer.login, which is discouraging.if it kicks.me.off like.the old.site.did.

Personally, thoigh, it seems to be horrible timing. The membere that had committed to staying had just gotten used to the layout and settled in, and activity in general was dwindling. Spam attempts had risen to an unending stream of "x joined the community", "old timers" were leaving... We lost a lot of people in the last switch and there arent that many left anymore.

Im glad to see that this site is healthy, though.

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 02:48:25 AM »

The good thing I've seen is that you can now post bigger images without the image being cropped.
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

nilla

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 07:39:36 AM »

I pretty much had a minor mental breakdown last night when I found out one of my threads that I used for writing, has disappeared. It was 3 pages long.
I don't mind the new look of the (tho there is one thing that seems odd to me) but now my stuff is gone and the damn link I had to it just takes me to the freaking 'Battlefield' group. :argh

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »

Well...it's a stylistic improvement at least. I like the slightly more streamlined look.

That said, I don't spend as much time on the internets as I used to, so I didn't have a more informed reaction than that.

I pretty much had a minor mental breakdown last night when I found out one of my threads that I used for writing, has disappeared. It was 3 pages long.

Yeah, that's not so good :( Losing content in site migrations is heartbreaking.

Embala

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 02:54:07 AM »

I don't mind the new look of the (tho there is one thing that seems odd to me) but now my stuff is gone and the damn link I had to it just takes me to the freaking 'Battlefield' group. :argh
Would you mind to tell me what thread you are talking about? Do you remember the exact name? Was/is it a group related thread? In this case i might have an idea where it is.

nilla

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 05:45:37 AM »

Would you mind to tell me what thread you are talking about? Do you remember the exact name? Was/is it a group related thread? In this case i might have an idea where it is.
No. I don't care anymore. I'm not using a site that mangles itself that much and that badly.

Embala

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »

I just tried to give you back your work (if possible at all), Vojira - not to lure you back.  :'( I'm sorry I've bothered you.

nilla

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 09:37:44 AM »

You haven't bothered me, Embala. Don't take it that way.

Embala

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »

Well - it is writing and has 3 pages - and it is misplaced. No idea whether it's your missed notes, Vojira. Do with it what you want.m

http://www.elfquest.com/social/index.php?do=/forum/thread/7323/bits-and-pieces/

One day I will learn not to care.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:40:02 AM by Embala »

nilla

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 10:48:52 AM »

Sigh...That is it.*Looks at where it is* Good god, it's all so messed up.

Thanks for finding it, Embala.

Embala

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »

You are welcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up