Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Poll

Which theme do you prefer for this year's fan calendar?

Contrasts
- 9 (28.1%)
EQ Goes to the Movies
- 4 (12.5%)
Every Picture Tells a Story
- 15 (46.9%)
Otherness
- 1 (3.1%)
Teachers & Leaders
- 3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: June 26, 2012, 03:46:12 PM

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calendar Theme Discussion 2013  (Read 41835 times)

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: Calendar Theme Discussion 2013
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 06:10:56 PM »

The poll is up, make sure to vote for your favourite theme.  ;D

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 08:07:45 PM »

Updated my first post so those who are joining us just for the voting can see more detailed descriptions of the theme choices in the first post.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 05:24:13 AM »

Good idea...and that is why I am in training...I should have thought of that.  ;D

jaRf

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 05:45:09 AM »

All of them sound interesting. But then, Every Picture Tells a Story, looks like a lot of work to me. I hope people voting for it are also going to draw that much then.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 05:13:39 AM »

That one would require a lot of work but I think in the end it would be worth the extra effort. ;D

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 05:53:47 AM »

I would be willing to take that effort and try and make something nice that conveys the theme well. It's been sooo long since I drew comics and therefore panels. Fun!
But I actually would have ideas for any of these themes, so either way I am all  ;D

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 10:15:31 AM »

I haven't drawn proper panels with a real story in over six years, so this will be a lot of fun.
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

DestinysGift

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 11:10:49 PM »

I think that it would be fun to put in the work for this, you have my pen!  :D
  (Cheesy lord of the rings joke, sorry...)

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 08:00:11 AM »

I'm generally willing for whatever theme folks decide on.

For me, I think, the main challenge of the "Every Picture Tells a Story" theme is that I usually find coming up with subject-matter to be the most difficult thing.  Most other themes suggest a topic that helps to narrow down ideas, and then if you are deciding for yourself which characters you'd like to do, that often helps narrow it down even more.  But for this one, the topic is really wide open, and that's when I find it harder to come up with something.

Still, I think it would be a really interesting challenge!

Folks who are worried about the amount of work represented by a multi-panel piece can take heart from a few things.  One: if the only requirement is that it be multi-panel, then don't forget that "multiple" can also mean "two".  If you're trying to tell a story via sequential art, you can do that in just two panels.  (Technically, you can of course show a story in ONE panel, but that isn't "sequential art".)  So start thinking about it like that -- "I only really have to draw two pictures that go together".  Obviously, you can get more ambitious than that (although I really like the idea that this theme would put an upper limit on it, too), but if you're trying to assure yourself that you really can do it, start out thinking of it that way.  If you've got months and months to do it in, you can surely do two panels, right?

Two: there are plenty of mechanical tricks you can use to cut down on the amount of sheer work that multiple panels can be, so that's another way of reassuring yourself that multiple panels isn't such a daunting task.

Windrider kindly pointed at a multi-panel piece I did as an example,  :-* and one of the key things about that piece is that I totally did NOT redraw each panel from scratch each time.  So I didn't need to do four complete drawings.  I drew various elements and re-used them from panel to panel (like the sleeping wolves, the sheep skull, and the postures of the sitting elves).    Yes, I inked and colored each separately, which helps keep them from looking completely the same.  But in cases where I needed to change something from the previous panel only slightly, I used a lightbox so that the previous drawing became a foundation for the next one.  So again, the finished product is less ACTUAL work than it looks like.

If we end up going with this theme, maybe it will be a good idea to start up a thread in the forum for people to share tips and tricks, and to ask for advice on how to tackle certain kinds of projects?

branchscamper

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 10:22:44 AM »

I've been away for awhile due to life, but I'm back and still working on art  :) Of course I'm excited about more calendar art! I'll be happy with whatever is chosen as it gives me reason to draw more EQ, but I did vote for the panel art because it was different and a challenge. I like to push myself with each new piece.

I also have concerns w/the panels as I am horrible at repeating like that. I do have an old piece of art I did that if I find it I might use the idea from lol But as I said whatever gets chosen I will be happy!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 10:39:21 AM »

Oh, definitely a thread for sharing tips and tricks would be great! I'd love to get advice while sharing what experience I have in drawing comics purely the traditional way.

Yavia

• Tuftear
  • Master of Comedic Arts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2012, 10:07:18 AM »

The movie theme sounds funny, but I also think it will be a nice one, if the Elfquest movie will be near the publishing.
It looks like you like to do the comic.
I allready have an idea for that and I think I will make it (It do not include Haken, if someone thought about it).
And, if it will be the 13th Pic, and does not fit in the calendar, or if we do have another theme, I like to update it anyway.
I'm not conceited with my title - it's just how it is  ;D

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 05:30:25 PM »

Looks like Every Picture Tells a Story is our theme for the calendar. :D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up