Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Tools of the Trade] Paper  (Read 7424 times)

Startear

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
[Tools of the Trade] Paper
« on: March 30, 2012, 06:57:48 AM »

In many threads we have at one point always mentioned that the paper you use can really make a big difference in your artwork. So, I guess we should have a thread for paper.  ;)

What do you use, or rather, what do you prefer and why?

I prefer organic paper. My favorite of what I've tried is A5 sized Ellie Poo, which is made of elephant dung. Bought it in the UK. Since it is rather rough, I really love to use either inks or watercolor in it. With the former it gives a old fashioned explorer's book look, and with watercolor it swallows the colors nicely and doesn't curl in pain as printer paper does. I do use markers in it too, though I've been told it isn't wise. 
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: [Tools of the Trade] Paper
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 11:59:05 PM »

Okay, Ellie Poo might be the most interesting sounding paper I have ever heard about! I would definitely like to try that out.
I absolutely agree about printer paper. For water coloring it is horrid! It curls and the color doesn't spread at all. Used it several times for water coloring, because I just happened to starting to draw on it at work or where ever. Bad!
I use normal low priced water color paper ususally 250g for well, water coloring. I use this with water colors, pencils, inks and even copics. But beware, because it's not very good for the copic tips. But as I love to combine different media I use them anyways.
If I plan to color my pic mainly in copic I have a smoother sketch paper. That one is not explicitly meant for copics but works quite well. All of my action shots for the pinup calendar was done on that. I also bought a special (and quite expensive) copic paper pad, but I haven't used it so far.
I am actually still looking for the German equivalent for "vellum". The way Windrider describes it's advantages really makes me want to try it out! But I am still not sure what they call it here.

branchscamper

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 12:35:24 AM »

I was thinking the same thing about Ellie Poo! I've never heard of it, but it sounds interesting and although I'm highly into organic things I may just have to pass on drawing on dung from one of my fave animals lol But if it works for others go for it! Right now all I use is printer paper to do my sketches and ink work. I have an artist pad somewhere but haven't used it in years. I tried "sketch" paper but it smudges too much for me and my eraser XD Once I also tried another drawing paper and it was so hard and smooth I was uncomfortable with it as it wasn't rough enough. The picture although drawn never seemed to take to the paper....if that makes sense. To me plain paper comes to life once drawn on and this certainly did not!

I've been wanting to try vellum as well but fear my erasing might be too harsh upon it. I'm not sure what other paper to try as I'm basically a sketch/ink artist. I also have a hard time breaking myself in to new things when it concerns my art...old habits die hard I guess??? XD

DestinysGift

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 03:52:54 PM »

For just pencils or inks or copics, I use cheap printer/copy paper, whitest I can find. For watercolors, I have a watercolor sketch book and for charcoals I prefer a rough paper. My favorite paper for charcoal is Manilla paper, a few years ago I had a sketch book with manilla paper, one day I used charcoal on it and I just loved how it came out.  Sometimes I'll use a drawing book for pencils, once I used watercolor paper for colored pencils and it came out pretty good.
For the most part I use copy paper and all my paper is on the cheap side.

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 01:51:42 PM »

:D If you go into my gallery and click on the drawing of Bowki, then you'll see the texture of the paper. It is fun to draw/paint on, and I do feel giddy everytime I use it. Sadly, since I love itso much, I'm starting to run out. And I found it in a bookshop hidden in the more remote places of London, where one had to buy things over 10 pounds to get the card machine to work. In other words, I have no idea how to get more once it bows down and takes it's leave.
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

branchscamper

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 10:57:48 PM »

I looked and that is awesome texture! Isn't it horrible how you find something and can't figure out where to buy more? I always dread using that last little bit just because of that fact. Wow I've sound very paranoid in this thread lol XD
Pages: [1]   Go Up