Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Poll

What would be your first choice on where EQFA should continue its existence?

As a Deviantart group
- 3 (11.1%)
As a Yahoo! group
- 0 (0%)
At this same site, only recreated with Warg & Co. at the helm
- 23 (85.2%)
Other (please specify)
- 1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: January 29, 2012, 09:33:50 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Fate of EQFA  (Read 258064 times)

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
Re: Fate of EQFA
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 05:22:22 AM »

The point about a group would be to find a smaller world within a bigger one, and I'm sure you won't feel lost if you see all these familiar faces there.
I made a group at dA myself last year, and I find it really easy to maintain. Since people will already have personal galleries, it might be an idea to divide the gallery at the group in different themes; canon pictures, holt pictures, and even the challenges can continue. Also writers will have no problem submitting their stories the same way you can do art, and comments won't get in between chapters and such.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 06:40:01 AM »

I think Maggie's idea sounds good and practicable!
I also would invest money, if that would help...
But it feels good that there might hope this page gets continued in some form. I must admit that I would not join a dA group because I am not a fan of dA at all. That place is also just too big for me.

My intention for a dA group wouldn't be to make it huge and popular, of course being on that site would mean that more people may come across the group, not because they like EQ but because they just happen to stop by and like what they see but the group would be intended for you all and to keep alive what was started here. I would hope that everyone here would join dA, even if they don't want to have their own separate gallery.

I didn't like dA before I joined there, I felt like it was big and full of people that only cared about showing off their art. I found that I was wrong, I have met many great folks on that site and I think it could be a great place for EQFA to continue.

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 07:36:49 AM »

I think that you might be losing me as well if we reform in Da, for I've had my full of that place and I'm about to close my account there... I'm at the loss of words... I cannot even say how sad I am... I... love this place.... this is my favorite place in the internet... the only place where I like all who are here... here it's not full of idiots like the grey and dull DA... man... I hope I could run a website, but I really don't know how... I'm not good with computers or anything related to them... damn.... I wish I was... ... this place is a big deal for me... I remember how happy I was when I found this place after losing the first Elfquest fanart... I don't want to lose you all again....

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 07:47:55 AM »

So sad news! I always liked this site. I have only small skills with HTML and CSS, so I dunno if I'm much of use in maintaining a site like this. I would be glad to assist as a moderator, if I can.

Even though I do have a deviantART account, I'm not so fond of having eqfanart moving there. It's such a big a place, and while the group could be as cozy as it's here, it would bother me not being able to target my art specifically to eq-fans. I wouldn't want all my watchers to see my eq-art. (I'm weird like that.) (Or wait, can one post art to the group only, not one's dA-account?)

Also, how would we replace the forums, if we went to dA?

EDIT:
If we must go somewhere else, I'd vote for yahoo (if it has been okay in the past, why not now), or somewhere similar.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:08:08 AM by Czarine »

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 08:06:20 AM »

So sad news! I always liked this site. I have only small skills with HTML and CSS, so I dunno if I'm much of use in maintaining a site like this. I would be glad to assist as a moderator, if I can.

Even though I do have a deviantART account, I'm not so fond of having eqfanart moving there. It's such a big a place, and while the group could be as cozy as it's here, it would bother me not being able to target my art specifically to eq-fans. I wouldn't want all my watchers to see my eq-art. (I'm weird like that.) (Or wait, can one post art to the group only, not one's dA-account?)

Also, how would we replace the forums, if we went to dA?

You can submit exclusively to a group you are a member of and the art will not show up in your gallery, so you could continue to target only EQ fans with your EQ related art, also the journal function on dA could work kind of like the forums here.  ;D

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »

I wanted to address the issue many of you are having with Deviant Art being too big for this community. I just wanted to mention that a group there can be big or small, that depends on how many members there are.

If I was the founder of the EQFA group on dA I would continue to do what has been done here and I would check out potential members before allowing them to join, so the community probably wouldn’t be all that large if I am honest. EQ has a following on dA the group Elves of Elfquest has 260 members but I am sure not all of them are active, as I don’t receive all that many group messages or alerts for artwork.

I know that change can be a scary thing but I think that accepting a new idea is the best way to keep things going. I am willing to do the work but unfortunately I can’t keep this site going in its current state because I don’t have the skill.

I’ve always liked to think of EQ communities as Holts and as we know from reading EQ sometimes unforeseen circumstance makes you have to move on, it’s sad but if we’re lucky maybe dA will be like Cutter meeting the Sun Villagers and we’ll be exposed to new people and their artwork and stories.

I’ve been a member of many groups and Holts that have simply faded away. I myself have a Holt that was fantastic in its day and now there are two members and myself, I play most of the characters but I still keep it going because I love it and I hope that one day more people will join in again and play.

Cutter and his quest is the reason we all gather here and share our love of Elfquest. He was bold and brave and went out into the world and found that “Somewhere…somehow…there will always be a Holt” so why not shed your fears of dA just a little. I know that joining groups like dA and like EQFA have made me a better artist so just imagine how wonderful and encouraging meeting new EQ fans and seeing their artwork will be.

In the end a Holt isn’t about location it’s about community and common interest. Let’s just imagine we’re moving into the Palace, it’s big and shiny and a little intimidating but our friends are there to greet us with smiling faces so how can we be afraid?

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2012, 09:17:44 AM »

Well, if others want to go on Da, then go, but I personally HATE that place... I was there for many years, and every year made me hate it even more... I think DA is nothing more than a cluster of half-ass idiots... them, and teens who like to post nude pictures of themselves... I'm sorry, but I can't get over this hate...

and the thing about DA being big is not the thing about members, but the fact that all the millions of half-ass outsiders can pop in to make absolutely stupid comments about everything... that is the biggest reason why I don't like it... but if others like the idea... then it's up to them... if it is the only way. then it's the only way...

I'm sorry to make such a harsh statement on this, but I really don't like DA...

branchscamper

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2012, 10:19:43 AM »

You're not the only one who dislikes DA Berit XD  I made an account ages ago and have yet to shut it down, but I haven't touched it in like...5 years?  I found it a very immature community and the c/c wasn't even that great.  I had people threatening to steal my art and tell me watermarks were useless and just random stupidity.  It's like FB with art and I'm not a fan of FB either XD 

I want to stay positive and move with everyone else, but it won't be easy for me if it gets moved to DA.     

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 10:30:45 AM »

Well, if others want to go on Da, then go, but I personally HATE that place... I was there for many years, and every year made me hate it even more... I think DA is nothing more than a cluster of half-ass idiots... them, and teens who like to post nude pictures of themselves... I'm sorry, but I can't get over this hate...

and the thing about DA being big is not the thing about members, but the fact that all the millions of half-ass outsiders can pop in to make absolutely stupid comments about everything... that is the biggest reason why I don't like it... but if others like the idea... then it's up to them... if it is the only way. then it's the only way...

I'm sorry to make such a harsh statement on this, but I really don't like DA...

Yikes!

You are entitled to your opinion Berit and obviously you’ve had a bad experience on dA, however, as far as the comments go, yes, people from all over the dA community can and probably will leave stupid comments but that is what the “hide comment” and a founder that keeps track of what type of messages are being left is for.
As I said, I am very serious about this and if I were the founder of an EQFA group on dA I would do everything I could to make sure that the dA group is in keeping with the rules and needs of the group we are currently in.

You are a member of this group and you have voiced a concern and you are partially correct about dA, there are some not so nice people and also teens that take naked pictures of themselves but you would be in a group that would be well monitored, which means that things like idiots and nude photos of teens would hopefully not be encountered past the log-in page.

I get that you probably won’t want to join no matter what I or anyone says but I honestly don’t think you can categorize all of dA as a bunch of half-ass idiots. I myself am a member there as well as several others that have their art up here at EQFA but I appreciate you bringing the stupid comment thing up, that is in fact a concern but as I said, if a dA group happens and I am part of it I would make the effort to screen comments and hide any that didn’t apply, were rude or otherwise.

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 10:38:54 AM »

Oh? someone else has negative feelings about the place too... but I fear it has gotten even worse lately... I really wouldn't want to go... but... oh well... I don't want to lose you all... I'm not sure what I'll do... but I'll keep my account for little longer just in case... though I find DA unpleasant, I don't want to be the one who is in the way of others... so... I'll let all of you choose instead...

and Maggie, oh, I didn't mean to attack you with this thing, well, let's make it in percents... 90% of DA people are half-ass idiots... forgive me if I insulted you...

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 10:42:47 AM »

Oh? someone else has negative feelings about the place too... but I fear it has gotten even worse lately... I really wouldn't want to go... but... oh well... I don't want to lose you all... I'm not sure what I'll do... but I'll keep my account for little longer just in case... though I find DA unpleasant, I don't want to be the one who is in the way of others... so... I'll let all of you choose instead...

and Maggie, oh, I didn't mean to attack you with this thing, well, let's make it in percents... 90% of DA people are half-ass idiots... forgive me if I insulted you...

I didn't feel attacked Berit, I just really don't want to see another group go under, and so I was trying to ease your mind a little.

I understand how you feel but I am hoping that if dA is the only option that we can all kind of set things aside and try and make something awesome, even if it isn't necessarily the ideal right at the start.  ;)

Warg

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 10:52:06 AM »

First off, hello everyone! I am the friend Mirr referred to in her post.

I'd be willing to assume the role of sysadmin for 'the new incarnation' of this site, hosting it on one of my servers, setting it up and things like that.

I know my way around all parts of LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and php), and have experience running forums (both with and without custom additions). However, since I'm a bad artist as well as a bad writer, if you expect any actual content from me you'd be disappointed. :P

Let me know what's expected from the server (i.e. peak online user count, average bandwidth needed per month) and I'll see if I can set it up, if you all want me to.

Cheers,
Warg

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 11:04:46 AM »

Well, I have one thing that should be in the new site, where ever it will be... I'd really like it if the mature content items would be marked someway... some people don't like seeing that kind of material... if it's in DA, I'd absolutely LOVE it if it had folder for that stuff, so I wouldn't actually have to see it if I didn't want to see it... and to be perfectly honest, it would be nice to see folder for violence and a folder for that other stuff... I personally like gory pictures... but I often dislike sexual material...

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2012, 11:05:29 AM »

While I'm perfectly happy with the idea of a dA group, there is one key thing that we'd lose that would make me sad, which is that all of the comments/conversations/galleries here would be lost.  Losing history like that makes me a sad panda.

Warg, you are in Sweden, aren't you? Are your servers over there as well? I think most of the active members are in Europe, so that would actually be pretty nice for the community.

Either Kael or I will get back to you about usage patterns.

Warg

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2012, 11:10:51 AM »

Warg, you are in Sweden, aren't you? Are your servers over there as well? I think most of the active members are in Europe, so that would actually be pretty nice for the community.
Servers are located in Germany, but yes, I am in Sweden.

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2012, 11:14:11 AM »

Yay for Warg! I think we all will be grateful for you, even though you didn't post anyhting. After all, you'd be the one that keeps everything together! I really wish we can keep this Holt, as, like Foxeye said, there's a lot of history here.

And, if it helps to keep the site running, I'd be ready to donate money, if needed.

Warg

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2012, 11:42:39 AM »

And, if it helps to keep the site running, I'd be ready to donate money, if needed.
Note that if I end up running the server, I have no intentions of even accepting donations in the foreseeable future. Seeing as I use the server for various other, minor but oh so important, things I pretty much need to keep it running anyway, and I can afford it, so no donations needed.

Obi-Rak Kaeliri

• The Silent One
  • Treewee
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire webcomic
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2012, 01:26:57 PM »

The server demands are pretty low: the 95 percentile traffic for the past 12 months is about 250kb/second, with occasional peaks to around 1.2Mb/second over 15-minute period.

We've seen spikes to around 80 legitimate requests/second, albeit that level of traffic happens very very seldom: the normal traffic is very low. The database has seen maximum of a little over 1k database requests/second, but that, again, happens very seldom.

All in all, this is a low-demand site. A dinky embedded appliance with an SSD could run it :)

Treefox

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »

Maggie, thanks for the information about dA, that definitely does sound better to me. As I really don't want to loose the community here, I'd at least try to join.
I still hope that there will be some way to keep the community in a form close to the current one.
Sadly, my lifemate also had to admit that he would not be up to run a site like this...

Warg

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2012, 01:34:57 PM »

The server demands are pretty low: the 95 percentile traffic for the past 12 months is about 250kb/second, with occasional peaks to around 1.2Mb/second over 15-minute period.

We've seen spikes to around 80 legitimate requests/second, albeit that level of traffic happens very very seldom: the normal traffic is very low. The database has seen maximum of a little over 1k database requests/second, but that, again, happens very seldom.

All in all, this is a low-demand site. A dinky embedded appliance with an SSD could run it :)

Well then, if you want me, you have a host/sysadmin! Was worried that my 100MBit pipe to the server would bottleneck it, but if that's all the traffic it gets then there is no problem.

So yeah, let me know if my services are needed.

Obi-Rak Kaeliri

• The Silent One
  • Treewee
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire webcomic
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2012, 01:42:46 PM »

I'm game if everyone else is :)

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2012, 02:27:49 PM »

Yaaaaay! :hail

Wildfire

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2012, 02:52:08 PM »

Oh wow, a lot has happened since yesterday here O.o

I'm all for Maggies DA idea if there's no other way. I'd personally be more inclined to be active there than in a Yahoo group (they just always rubbed me the wrong way, I don't know why xD)

But Wargs offer sounds pretty awesome! Keeping the site close to how it is now would be sweet :3

Obi-Rak Kaeliri

• The Silent One
  • Treewee
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire webcomic
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2012, 03:54:24 PM »

From the slightly more practical side, my current thinking is that we're going to blank all the passwords and private messages from the database we'll hand over to Warg & Co., and we're also going to remove most of the custom columns except for the column that indicates whether the user is ok with seeing mature images.

I do not know if the new owner-operators of the site have any inclination to re-implement the maturity filter feature, but that column will do no harm under basic SMF+Aeva installation and will provide the option of implementing the maturity filter feature down the line.

Any objections or amendments to this?

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »

Wow; so much going on!

I just want to say, first, that while I'm sad about Foxeye and Kael giving up running this, like many here already, I can only thank them both for everything they've done so far!  Obviously, running a site this sophisiticated is a huge job, and it doesn't surprise me if folks don't want to do it forever.  I think wanting to step away is quite understandable.

What I really appreciate is that you guys have thought it through and given the community warning, and are offering help with finding ways to keep it going.  This is really the best of all possible outcomes.  I think a lot of us have been involved in other places where an owner suddenly pulled the plug, with no warning; or with places that went down due to technical difficulties.  Thank you guys for being so open and so practical-minded about it!

Anyway...  I also agree with many here that this has become a community that "feels" a lot better, to me, than some of the other similar options out there.  I just can't get into the new EQ.com/Scroll.  :-\   I suppose we could try to make a go out of moving over to there, but IMO, the place isn't all that "friendly" for art sharing.  (Maybe it's just because I'm old and there's something about the way it's set up that is just not clicking in my brain.)

I'm truly grateful to see folks popping up who think we might be able to continue to have this place exist in a form very much like its current one.  I feel bad, because I'm really not technically savvy about web stuff, AT ALL, so I feel like I have nothing to offer except opinions, and cheerleading.   :-\

If it came down to recreating the community in a different place, I'd like to put in a "vote" for deviantArt over Yahoo!Groups. 

To be honest, I don't have a clear sense of how a group at dA would function -- I don't really belong to any other groups there, although I know they exist, and I don't use the journal function very much.  But I trust others here who have a vision for how it could be set up. 

I understand the hesitation of others, like Berit and branchscamper.  All I can say is... I don't know, somehow in about 4 years on dA, I've largely managed to not be too heavily exposed to the really irritating people I *know* are there.  Maybe it's just that my stuff flies under the radar a lot?  Largely, the community I interact with on dA is very similar to (indeed heavily overlapping with) this one and the community of the Holt I'm in, and I don't get exposed to rude people posting stuff I don't want to see.  So, that's just to say that... it's at least possible to spend a good bit of time on dA, but avoid the negative aspects of it almost completely.

I'm also heartened to hear Maggie say that she would envision operating a group there with *strong* moderation.  I am ALL for moderation!  Strong moderators make the difference in making a group bearable to its members.

The other option, Yahoo... well.  I belonged to some Yahoo groups long ago.  I haven't really taken part in anything there for more than 5 years.  All the stuff I ever did there was pretty text-based, not involving images.  So I don't have a good sense of how such an image-focused community would operate on that platform.  I guess it feels very old-fashioned to me, as well; a bit clunky.  So I wouldn't be categorically opposed to trying to move there, if we had to and if most people wanted it rather than dA.  It's just not my preference.

Crossing fingers, however, that enough web-savvy folks emerge here to make keeping this its own site possible!  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up