Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012, 2013 & 2014 Pin-Up Planner for Sale  (Read 62463 times)

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
Re: 2012 Pin-Up Planner for Sale - Got Mine!
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 01:18:17 AM »

Maggie, stop making me laugh! :D I have the coughs, and laughing makes me cough my throat out.

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 11:35:57 AM »

Maggie, stop making me laugh! :D I have the coughs, and laughing makes me cough my throat out.

Haha, sorry Afke, I'll try and refrain from anything funny until you're feeling better.  ;D

Treefox

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 03:53:19 AM »

OoooOOOoo! I got mine! My heart was beating so excitedly when I opened it! It is gorgeous! True, slightly to the reddish side and slightly darker than on the PC screen, but a fine quality indeed. All the details are clearly visible and the grid art shines! I wouldn't have thought that the grid art would be so prominent. I love it. To hold you guy's artwork in my hands is really touching. For the thousandth time: you all rock so much!  

And, hihi, there is a little bonus art inside the cover and some wonderful words from Wordgazer. Thank you Windrider and Foxeye for getting her on board for this! 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:59:10 AM by Treefox »

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 01:09:08 PM »

Haha,my lifemate had the fabulous idea to give the calendar the attention it deserves, so we put one copy on the shelf in the center of our apartment. The shelf that holds our DVDs and our TV. We will see it every day and it will make me glee. Doesn't it look fabulous?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
Re: 2012 & 2013 Pin-Up Planner for Sale - Got Mine!
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 05:04:07 PM »

That's awesome! (What in the world is on your TV?)

I've updated the first post with the link to 2013. :woohoo

Though it isn't as important this time to wait for my report before ordering your own copy, since I'm following a proven workflow for making/submitting the PDF file, I'll keep everyone posted about how my copy looks when it arrives.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:20:04 PM by Foxeye »

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 & 2013 Pin-Up Planner for Sale
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 11:19:33 PM »

HAHA! love it! a full week of tanked sexy Rayek goodness!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 11:29:02 PM »

Yeah, what a great pic to stare at me for the rest of the week! Really enjoyable.
Actually, that's an episode of "Eureka", but we weren't really watching that, I just asked my lifemate to turn the TV on, so we get more light for the picture.

And thank you, Foxeye,  for preparing the print document for this next gem. This time I'll wait until the last calendar is out, though.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:41:06 AM by Treefox »

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 01:37:37 PM »

I LOVE EurekA!!!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 04:03:06 AM »

You see? That was fate! Your Rayek and Eureka in one picture. Pretty cool.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 03:36:46 PM »

Got 2013 and it's also looking good, though I am starting to regret my love affair with shades of oranges/reds/magentas for two of my pinups...a lot of the detail is lost in Windstone because the darker reds are turned to a lighter orange. poo.

Still, everyone else's stuff looks gorgeous in these, so I can't be too bummed.

And fortunately Crescent isn't a fire-hair, so she should fare better.

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 05:54:08 PM »

Yep, Foxy, I was afraid that might happen.  You see, I've been noticing as I format the calendars, when I pick a color for the titles I usually try to pick it somewhere off the pinup.  But often times Photoshop will warn me that the color I am picking is "out of gamut for printing."  What this means is that color is not able to be replicated by any printing process.  Many, many of the digitally done pinups had colors out of gamut for printing.  So they are not going to look just like they appear on a computer screen, which after all is glowing, backlit color that can't be replicated by printing, which is a reflective media.

Not being a digital artist I am not sure, but I would think that professional artists creating art digitally would always check to make sure their palette is in gamut if they are creating something that will be printed.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 06:34:55 PM »

Not being a digital artist I am not sure, but I would think that professional artists creating art digitally would always check to make sure their palette is in gamut if they are creating something that will be printed.

What they would need to do is get the ICC profile of the printers that Lulu uses. Sadly Lulu does not make this available. :( The best research I could find is that they try to "play nice" with sRGB color space, since that is what most of their not-fully-pro users are going to be working with, so that is what I used.  (That said, this hyper-red appearance reminds me a lot of how unprofiled sRGB looks on an Adobe RGB monitor.  I wish proofs weren't so expensive, or I'd experiment with converting the submitted material into Adobe RGB.)

You are right, though, that even if I had the ICC profile, there are still limitations I'd face with the monitor vs. printer.

Obi-Rak Kaeliri

• The Silent One
  • Treewee
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire webcomic
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2012, 06:40:23 PM »

Ooofh. That's a complex topic right there, colors and their behaviour. Just to put things into perspective, the study of quantum mechanics spawned from study of the black body object which is an intrinsic theoretical component of color management. It's not really about colors being out of gamut, but rather the printer and monitor producing different colors from the same numeric value.

On the topic of reflective vs. transmissive, you're correct. However, it is possible to accurately simulate, on a screen capable of reproducing the printer's color gamut, how a printed copy will look like given specific lighting conditions. The "standard" of 6500°K whitepoint roughly corresponds to bright mid-day sun somewhere near southern California.

On the printer side there are ways to make inks that change less in visual appearance under different lighting conditions, but you can never get away from it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:15:40 PM by Obi-Rak Kaeliri »

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 12:05:54 PM »

Can't. Contain. It. Anymore!

Did the blonds loose their souls when they were printed?
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 12:16:08 PM »

Blondes, brunettes, silvers, and raven-tressed all fared very well. :)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 02:25:39 PM »

I just got this coupon code from Lulu for 20% off any one order up to $150 off:

SHADOWHOG306  (expires friday, Feb 3)

Too late to use it for my calendars, but others might find it useful.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2012, 07:14:34 PM »

Mist-Eyes pointed out there there was a typo with the 2012 calendar, with one of the credits for bonus art (Treestump), so for those who haven't purchased yet, there is a revised edition:

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/2012-elfquest-fan-art-calendar-%28revised%29/12601133

For those of you who already have copies, you can manually cross out "Larissa Johnston" for treestump bonus art (September 2), and change it to Leigh Davis. :)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 08:44:05 PM »

Here is the direct link to the 2014 calendar:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/elfquest-fan-artists/2014-elfquest-fan-art-calendar/paperback/product-20056834.html

As always, I'll let you know how mine turns out :)

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2012, 05:02:59 AM »

Ooooh! Aaaah! Thank you! Me and half of my family are so looking forward to hold the print version in their hands.
Thanks!!

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2012, 05:38:30 AM »

Maybe I'll soon have the chance to buy all 3 in one package and hopefully save on shipping. But then if it's more than 50 Euros the customs will charge me. Grr.
And I would probably not use these planners to write anything in.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2012, 09:57:28 AM »

What? Are you sure they will be stuck in the customs? Hmpf.
Care to share the order? Just a thought, feel free to say no. It will not be taken personally. ;-)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2012, 01:03:53 PM »

I've definitely been using mine as a planner, which I find it really useful as, but I'll confess I also bought a second set to put on the shelf with my elfquest books. ^_^

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »

I've definitely been using mine as a planner, which I find it really useful as, but I'll confess I also bought a second set to put on the shelf with my elfquest books. ^_^

I did that too. ;D

I have to have something to brag about when I am old and realize that was my only achievement in life...haha.

branchscamper

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2012, 09:51:13 PM »

I'm so excited!  Now I can order all three at the same time XD (which is what I've been waiting for haha) 

And don't short change yourself Maggie!  I'm sure you'll have much to brag about to your grandkids  ;)

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2012, 12:02:41 AM »

I lack the money to buy 2x3 calendar planners. But even then I probably wouldn't really dare to touch them.

@Treefox
> What? Are you sure they will be stuck in the customs? Hmpf.
> Care to share the order? Just a thought, feel free to say no. It will not be taken personally. ;-)

Soweit ich weiß sind ab 50 Euro (und da rechnen die mitunter auch gerne das Porto rein, das ist wohl seit 4-5 Jahren gesetzl. beschlossen) die Sachen zollpflichtig. D.h. sie hängen fest, man bekommt (hoffentlich) eine grüne Karte und muß dann mit Rechnung etc. am anderen Ende der Stadt antanzen. Anschließend schauen die das durch, fragen was das denn sein soll (zur Klassifizierung), dann wird der Zoll ausgerechnet für die Gesamtsumme und dann kommt sogar noch die Merkelsteuer auf die Gesamtsumme obendrauf. Insofern ist es mitunter einfacher Dinge in kleinen Portionen zu bestellen, damit man unter 50 Euro bleibt. Und die bei lulu werden bestimmt nicht gift draufschreiben. Man kann das sicher nochmal nachrecherchieren aber das sollte so etwa der Stand der Dinge sein. Toll, was?

This was German. And explaining our sneaky customs system.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up