Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2010 Calendar musings  (Read 9857 times)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
2010 Calendar musings
« on: March 11, 2009, 10:02:38 AM »

Over on the official forums Windrider posted:

In spite of the awesome entries for 2009, it was like pulling teeth getting people to participate and the lack of comments on the finished entries makes me think the Calendar doesn't have this community's interest anymore.

I noticed as well that last year did seem to be a hard year for the fan art calendar, and I think it's something that the artists should talk honestly about before we dive into the next one. I think we can all agree that we don't want Carol putting a lot of her time and energies into this project if the fans' hearts aren't in it anymore.

Do folks think that it was the result of a difficult theme? Or was it that the lack of new ElfQuest material caused us all to be a little more distracted with other matters in our lives, and thus not so inspired by ElfQuest? Or is it something else altogether? 

Wildfire

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: 2010 Calendar musings
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 03:13:44 PM »

I didn't enter. I wanted to try, but for me, the theme was quite difficult. I love the final product, but it seems like it was a difficult theme for many people.

Mirr

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
    • http://miravisu.net
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 03:17:56 PM »

Since the at the time site of convergence for most things to do with eq fanart calendar stuff had started on its demise, I think that also played part in artists struggling last year.. and yes, let's yay once more at the new home of all things eq fanart :D

But, as you say, there is not much new-new elfquest material out, and even fans must fend off real life every now and then, especially if the themes are tricky. Maybe the new site is just the kind of creative sparkle needed to get things back on track :)

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:26:45 PM »

I am going to repeat what I posted on the Scroll and see what you all think.

I am considering a new plan for 2010. Every year there's lots of artists who complain how difficult the theme is. (Well, except for the "Home and Family" year - I don't remember any of those comments then, it was an easy theme).

But the thing is YOU guys vote on and select the theme. Themes that seem pretty cool in theory often become difficult in practice!

So I am considering of making an "executive" decision for the 2010 contest, like Amanda did in the early years of the Calendar, and just appointing a theme. An easy theme. A theme that allows for just about any character and just about any type of image (action, contemplative, etc). A theme that has been on the ballot for ages and always scores high (usually second) but never gets chosen. I am talking about:

Finding One's Place: (Finding Where One Belongs) Hunters and storytellers, healers and makers; in the world of Elfquest, everyone has a place where they fit in, a job or role they perform in daily life. This theme is about the things that have to be done every day - elves busy at their work.

Would you all go for that?

Past Themes:
2009 The Magic of Elfquest
2008 Favorite Moments
2007 Home and Family
2006 Elf Art Through the Ages (Art History with an Elfin twist)
2005 Beloved Dead
2004 Then and Now
2003 Celebrations
2002 no theme

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:43:41 PM »

I wouldn't argue with that. The theme is usually luck of the draw anyways, from an individual's poitn of view.  And fortunately for me, the idea that I've been saving up for a different "almost makes it every year" theme would probably work for this theme as well, so I have no qualms with this.

...although if the contest submissions are hosted here, I'm not sure I'd be allowed to participate as a contestant.  :-\

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 11:02:29 PM »

...although if the contest submissions are hosted here, I'm not sure I'd be allowed to participate as a contestant.  :-\
Depends if you want to be a Calendar judge or not.   ;D

branchscamper

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 11:20:25 PM »

I think what confused people with the theme this year was that when people quoted "The Magic of EQ" everyone (including myself) thought MAGIC.  Also a few of the replies pointed out topics that related to the magic elves to "help" the artist along so kind of pushed that theme that way.  I wouldn't have thought of it any other way. 

Technically I don't think it was hard at all, but what stumps me is I always try to come up with something others might not.  Doesn't always work out that way, but it takes me a few days to come up with what I'm drawing which cuts into time for drawing, etc...I'm also slower than most with my drawings so I'm lucky to even get one submission in on time ^^;;;

I don't think I've ever voted on the theme so if one person chooses it or a bunch it's the same to me.  I just try to match it one way or another.  So an "executive" decision doesn't bother me ^_^

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 09:51:14 AM »

Depends if you want to be a Calendar judge or not.   ;D

Oh, heh, well, I was thinking more of me being able to see all the entries. An admin can't make myself not-see them. :(

Mournsong

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 02:36:07 PM »

What I'd like to know is: is it allowed for an artist to team up with a colorist? Or other team-ups - artists and inkers, for instance.

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 02:52:31 PM »

Yes, it is allowed, as long as it is a collaboration and everyone is credited.  In other words, no stealing someone's art, coloring it without their knowledge, and then submitting it as your own.

There have been entries in the past, ones that made it in the calendar, where there was more than one artist.  Usually it is as you say, line art by one and coloring by the other, but I think it was Nienna that had a piece where another artist did the background.

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 02:56:03 PM »

An admin can't make myself not-see them. :(
Oh yes you can.  You can get your entry submitted early and then not visit the gallery.   :D  Yeah, like that's going to happen!

Seriously, I don't think anyone here would complain that you can see them as long as you are not judging.  Seeing the entries would just be a perk of providing us with awesome host site for the contest!

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 03:00:10 PM »

Oh yes you can.  You can get your entry submitted early and then not visit the gallery.   :D  Yeah, like that's going to happen!

Submitting early, or having the self restraint? *grin*

...don't answer that.

clsazekiel

• Treewee
  • Hur hur hur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 08:51:38 AM »

I think 'finding one's place' is an excellent theme if that's the planned one for the year. It certainly lends itself to several pictures I would like to draw along those lines and I think it will be easy for others to do as well.

Kitt

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Kitt Mouri
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 11:40:50 AM »

I think a general theme is good for flexibility amongst the artists :)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 02:17:05 PM »

So Windrider...is the theme pretty much set then? We can start if we want?

Windschatten

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 07:11:14 AM »

*think* Hmm I'd like to give it a try and add a picture if I can come up with one... Err is there something I should have an eye on? Size? layout? something?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 11:04:26 AM »

Yes, there are several requirements. Size has been 3300 wide x 2550 tall (11 x 8.5 inches at 300 dpi).  I recall that it has to be color.

It also has to be canon characters/situations, though there's a little wiggle room for extrapolation. Example: We never saw Strongbow take down a bear by himself, but it wouldn't be a huge stretch to say he has at some point in his many centuries.  Whereas we don't know for sure if he's ever stalked and killed a group of human hunters.

There may be more to it than that that I'm not remembering. Hopefully Windrider will post the rules soon.

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 05:04:02 PM »

I usually post the Calendar guidelines on May 1st, but since we aren't going to be discussing theme ideas and voting this year, I might as well post it early.  Let me get it together and I'll start a new thread where folks can ask questions and get ideas.

The format will be the same as past years, and Foxeye has the given the gist of it correctly.  What do people think about leaving room for the poetry?  Does everyone like that?  Is was a little tough getting writers for 2009, but maybe it was a difficult theme for them, too.

Halfnote

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 07:19:53 AM »

I really like the theme! Maybe I'll give it a go this year, too :)

dreamweaver

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
    • Made by Meristide on Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 06:42:19 PM »

The theme sounds really amazing and I can think of a few very complex pieces to work through.  Can't wait to start working on this year's entry.  I never really make it.  I really like the way it was in the first couple of years.  I had fun.
Shade and Sweet Water
Pages: [1]   Go Up