Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Tools of the Trade] Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pens  (Read 10919 times)

Startear

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
[Tools of the Trade] Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pens
« on: October 11, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »

Last time I had money, I got meself some Faber Castell Pitt Artists Pens. When it was family therapy week at the rehab center my father was in, I met this amazing woman who showed me her set, consisting of 48 pens. Which is the reason why I bought these beauties. I'm still in the learning process of using them, but so far very happy with mine. And I was wondering, are there anyone who has used them here? Like dislike and why?

I actually have one tip. If you are making something with black text on, like Aimless Renegade in Homestuck who wears caution tape all over him, apply the coloring first. The ink in these pens are, surprise surprise, wet. So they started blending the black pen writing, which isn't what I wanted at all.

Might not be a problem when making elfquest drawings, but worth mentioning anyhow.
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: [Tools of the Trade] Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pens
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 02:29:12 PM »

I hadn't heard of these! They seem not too pricey. Please share your experience with these.

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 03:44:44 PM »

Oh, they are lovely. It says that it is pen, but technically works much like marker. Could even say that they are a cross between a pen and a marker. They have a brush tip. If the color is too hard, one can smudge it. One must be quick though.

Some has complained that it makes streaks rather easily, especially on printer paper. Own experience with trying says that depends on where you place the strokes, how you apply it, and where your paper lies. I've found that I need to place my paper on more paper in general.

Oh, and these doesn't bleed through the paper. That's nice.

As for my colors, they are called Manganese violet 160, Permanent Green Olive 167, Pink Carmine 127, Phthalo blue 110, Cadium Yellow 107, and Dark Chrome Yellow 109.

I've decided that I can't live without them.  :D
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 01:32:15 AM »

I have them too, a whole range of colors. I find they work great for inking, but coloring -- not at all. No matter how quick I am, they always streak. If you've find a way for them not to that's great, but I wouldn't recommend them to others for coloring.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 03:06:59 AM by afke »

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 11:03:36 AM »

Really? I found that it mostly depends on where one places the next stroke. I rarely color quickly either, one of my test drawings with these was colored on the subway. I was about halfway finished when I put it down to do other stuff, and went back to it 3 hours later. 

I don't use mine for inking. My hands are rarely, if ever steady enough to make the nice ink lines. I keep practicing, but as of yet I'm not successful.

Some links.

Sharpen your PITT pen

Faber-Castell :: On the go with PITT artist pens

Faber-Castell PITT artist pens

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 02:38:03 PM »

Damnit, after watching your second link I ordered the Shades of Grey set and the sanguine set. I'm such a sucker for commercials xD At least they were cheap (£7 for both including shipping) so I'll be able to try them out now.

My moleskine is going to be so pretty! xD

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 03:46:06 PM »

I can only say that I love mine. Pretty much have to lay off the links to buy them. Have a lot of traveling to do this month. And I have money again, so my fingers itch every time I see the skin tone set, but they aren't for pleasure. Especially since I'm still unemployed. :( Can always wish for Christmas.

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 03:11:26 AM »

Really? I found that it mostly depends on where one places the next stroke. I rarely color quickly either, one of my test drawings with these was colored on the subway. I was about halfway finished when I put it down to do other stuff, and went back to it 3 hours later.

I guess it then perhaps depends on what you're used to I guess. When I compare them with my copics and the way that ink works, they will never ever match up.

I used them for coloring once when I only had a few basic color of copics, so I had some more hues. When I saw the result of that I knew I would never use them for coloring again.
It is nice to combine them with other materials though, if you're not coloring whole surfaces with them, but perhaps only shading and use colored pencils for the rest (for example).

I don't mean to be all pessimistic about them, especially since you seem to be so happy about them -- but I am afraid that if someone is looking for markers with in their head the result of some work they've seen in the gallery here, they might be disappointed if they go for these.
Otherwise, Faber Castell has great inking pens, they're usually the ones I use when inking. They are markerproof on printer paper and not too expensive.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 03:15:17 AM by afke »

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 06:16:19 AM »

Don't worry about it.  :) I usually get a little enthusiastic about my new art toys.

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 09:59:50 AM »

I did watch the YouTube clips you posted, and they really are intriguing!  I'd kind of like to TRY them. Maybe I'll try to get a set of the greytones and do some greytone "coloring" to get a feel for them.  If they're really just India ink, then it'd be really interesting to try them on a nice thick paper and have a brush and some water standing ready nearby, to see if basically it would be like painting with ink, only a bit more contained.

I also like that they DO come in a variety of tips, although my impression so far is that the largest color selection does not come in the brush tip?  But maybe it's just that the largest color selection doesn't come in the BIG brush tip, but comes in the regular brush tip.

What surprised me, though, is that they don't look all that much less expensive than Copics, and so it seems to me that the biggest drawback with them is that unlike Copics, they aren't refillable.  So in the long run, they aren't as cost-effective. And you would have to have back-ups of all of your most-used colors ready, in case you ran dry in the middle of something.  (I have to have back-up refills of all my most-used Copic colors, but at least one bottle of the refills is good for like 8-12 refills of the original pen, so it's like having 8-12 backup pens, for $5.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up