Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Tools of the Trade] Copics  (Read 34895 times)

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: [Tools of the Trade] Copics
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 02:07:32 PM »

Yeah, I do something similar -- although I haven't tried to go back and add in additional white highlights with white pencil or ink, as it looks like was done in that sample.  I should try experimenting with that!

I based my technique for black or very dark brown hair on the way Wendy did it for the comics.  That means doing the basic foundation of the black hair color in the inking phase, and leaving highlight-areas for coloring.  I usually use the "formula" that "black hair" = black with blue highlights, while I tend to think of black hair with brown highlights as being "very dark brown".

That usually works for me in cases where the areas of highlight are pretty small, overall.  I just use one color, and haven't experimented yet with putting white highlights in too.  But when I've done a larger figure (like a bust portrait), I usually use two blues -- the first one lighter, and then the second darker, to suggest gradations of shading even within the highlight area.

I ended up doing this because of the effect I mentioned above, which is that because of the paper I use, the Copic black marker doesn't give me a "solid" black.  Light bounces through it in the scanning process.  Because I laser-print my inks to color them, that gives me a very solid black

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »

I don't like using blue hues for black hair. As I do for clothing, I use darker greys for black.

Icebird

• Wolf
  • Toasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 03:39:59 AM »

Thanks for all your inputs, ladies  :D I'll let you know how it goes~

Treefox

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »

I agree about the basic color of black hair make it seem more like dark brown or red hair, or whatever.
Depending on what effect I desire I also use grey for the highlights of black hair. Or just paint it black and put the highlights on with opaque white.
I guess the greyish tone is more realistic. But I like raven-like blue highlights. :D

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 09:25:49 AM »

The blue thing is definitely a comic-book convention.  ;)  I have only once or twice seen hair in real life that made me understand where that convention comes from.

But I also kind of like that it gives me the option to use other colors -- grey (cool or warm), brown, red -- to suggest different dark hair colors.

Again, going back to EQ -- Leetah's hair in the OQ was really done with red highlights and black undertones, simply because of the needs of the comic originally being printed in b&w only, and Wendy needing to use black shading to create visual interest in the inking.  But it's really effective. 

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2012, 11:04:24 AM »

This little video is not about copics, but it does touch upon things that you can do with the blender, which I thought is pretty cool.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q_0md6tE4A0
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 02:40:24 AM »

Oh thanks, Startear. I want to watch it as soon as I find the time.

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2012, 12:56:05 AM »

I have used the blender the way she does as well, I have even used it as far as an eraser -- I just grabbed the wrong marker, and the ink was wet enough to be able to remove with the blender.
She explains it wrong though; what the blender does is absorb the ink. That's why the color got lighter. It will end up on your blender (perhaps her color was light enough she didn't notice, and she also does such tiny pieces), but it can be easily removed by coloring it out on a blank piece of paper.

I also saw a tutorial once where it's explained that the absorbing property of the blender is exactly what you should use it for; you hold the tip of the color you'd like to fade against the blender, let it absorb the color, and then when you color with the blender on paper it'll start out your chosen color at darkest and get lighter and lighter until all the colored ink is gone from the blender.
I used a little bit of that to fade Picknose's bright red shirt in his calendar portrait.

I like to use all possibilities the blender gives, I don't think there's one "right way", let your own creativity experiment with it. :)
It is nice to know the blender works with more brands of marker; the blender contains more alcohol than the other Copic markers, perhaps that's why.

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2012, 08:31:02 AM »

Can that ink be stuck on the blender? Let us say that you didn't clean the blender, could the ink from the markers stay there?
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 11:58:15 PM »

I don't know, but I don't think so, because of the alcohol ratio being much higher in the blender "ink".

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2015, 11:53:15 AM »

Hey guys, I know a lot of you are busy with the calendar, but I found this video today and thought it was a neat idea that never occured to me. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnAYfvKN3_g
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up