Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More Final Quest teasers  (Read 26518 times)

Wildfire

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
More Final Quest teasers
« on: September 07, 2011, 08:49:11 AM »

So Wendy-lady posted this on Facebook half an hour ago:

Personally I'm inclined to believe that it's Leetah she's talking about.
As I posted on the Facebook-comment: Leetah having put up with Cutter's wolf-blood and finally decided to remove it? It would make sense with the "what's missing" teaser page I think. But it would be quite a change of character after the whole "That's what she would do" thoughtprocess she had last time she considered it.

Thoughts?

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: More Final Quest teasers
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 09:08:46 AM »

Yeah, I don't know about that.  Unless something else has majorly changed, Final Quest appears to take place "only" about 60-100 years after SATS, which itself only takes place about 10-15 years (probably less) after the end of KOTBW and the Shards storyline.

(Reasoning: in KOTBW, Shuna is shown to be a little girl, while she's a young adult, probably a teen, in Shards.  I'd put her in her 20s in SATS, at most.  In old Final Quest promo images, Shuna is shown as elderly.  It's hard to judge exactly how old she is by her physical appearance -- she could be as "young" as 65 or as old as 100, depending on whether a hard life ages humans prematurely in this world, or conversely whether being around the Palace has magically extended her life a bit.)

When Leetah and Cutter were reunited in KOTBW, he asks her to remove his wolf-blood, and initially she responds enthusiastically (something like, "I've waited so long for you to ask me to do that!"), but then in very next panel she realizes she "knows nothing of waiting" -- after all, in her personal timeline, she and Cutter have "only" been together approximately 20-25 years; whereas, she's talking to him just after he's spent over 500 years waiting to be reunited with her.  So the upshot of that (I'd have to go back and read it again to be sure how it falls out) is that she almost kind of talks him out of making a hasty decision about doing that.

Given that she came to that conclusion, would 600+ year old Leetah really feel after only about 60-100 more years that she is "fed up" with waiting for Cutter to make a decision about his wolf-blood?  It seems like it would be too soon for her to become "fed up" -- because really, most of the time, what is there about his having wolf-blood for her to be fed up about?  Nothing, really. 

Leetah has always seemed to understand that his wolf-blood is part of what makes him HIM.  And they've all had the experience of watching what happened to Skywise as he adjusted to not having wolf-blood.  What would it mean to the CHIEF of the wolfriders to give up some of the abilities that his wolf-blood gives to him? 

The only reason Leetah has wanted to remove Cutter's wolf-blood is that she's afraid of eventually losing him to old age and a natural death.  (If he gets that far!  ;) )  But that eventuality is a long way off.  Although neither she nor Winnowill ever stated outright if they knew, it's possible they know in a general way what a wolfrider's natural life-span could be; and haven't we been given estimates that it could be as long as 1500-2500 years?  Cutter is an extremely long way from it becoming an issue, in other words; and there is no real reason for Leetah to become impatient about it during the time-frame we seem to be talking about.

If anything, I'd think that removing Cutter's wolf-blood would increase the danger of his dying sooner.  The example of Skywise showed that removing the wolf-blood removes some of the senses and abilities that the wolfriders have, which presumably makes them better at the lifestyle they lead (hunting and so on).  It's impossible to imagine Cutter giving up those things that wolfriders enjoy, like hunting.  But removing his wolf-blood could make him less good at them, and thus increase the odds of his dying by accident.

Otherwise, though... yeah, not sure what that cryptic hint could be referring to!  But then, I was no good at trying to guess at the cryptic hint given to us about that picture ("what is Cutter missing?" ... um, his vest? New Moon?  Sure, Leetah was with him, but otherwise, technically speaking, "the entire rest of the tribe" was missing from the picture... so what?  Ehn, these kinds of riddles just irritate me.)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 10:10:26 AM »

Aye, if they've been putting up with it for a lifetime, then it's not Leetah and cutter's wolfblood. :)

My guess is Shenshen. They've already mentioned that her story is coming, and she's been putting up with living in the shadow of a gifted and prettier older sister since she was born.

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 10:27:08 AM »

Okay, point taken, it's not Leetah :P
I completely forgot about Shenshen... Which is really embarrassing, but would pretty much be the problem at hand xD

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 12:34:07 PM »

I thought about Strongbow for a second... But I think a comment from Wendy on Facebook disregarded that one already...

Miss Gillespie

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 04:13:35 AM »

at the point Rayek kidnaps Cutter's family, the twins are too young; I guess Cutter and Leetah didn't spent more than 15 years together...
I, too, think that Shenshen will haver "her moment to shine" ;) 

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 08:32:16 AM »

As posted on the ElfQuest FB page:
From Wendy: This trio has an unusual dynamic and much to do in "Elfquest: The Final Quest."

Oh hell yeah. ;D

Multimedea

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 05:23:27 PM »

As posted on the ElfQuest FB page:
From Wendy: This trio has an unusual dynamic and much to do in "Elfquest: The Final Quest."

Oh hell yeah. ;D

Geeze...if only Aurek were in that picture, too, it could totally be a illo for my fan story. (sigh)
The sorrow of the elves is that
The things they love must die...
(The Tree of swords and jewels waits for me)
Time withers all about them,
Yet the elves it passes by...
(When shall I hang my own upon the Tree?)

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 06:20:33 AM »

So glad their story will be part of the Final Quest!
Wow, Venka's hair takes on Winnie proportions!
Aroree looks almost like back in Blue Mountain! Hopefully Venka will not be the next Winnie.

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 06:45:06 AM »

I doubt Venka will ever be that way. She's too sensible, and she seems to look at life from all points of view. I am curious though how these three have faired!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 06:45:53 AM »

Good argument! I am really getting excited now!

Maggie

• Calendar Organizer
  • Administrator
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 06:55:55 AM »

I doubt Venka will ever be that way. She's too sensible, and she seems to look at life from all points of view. I am curious though how these three have faired!

True but her parents aren't really the sensible type...so maybe...

Both Rayek and Kahvi were always pretty hungry for power and while it would be a little unsettling, Venka wanting a taste of that would make for an intersting story.

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 07:36:23 AM »

The Blue-Mountain-looking collar and hairstyle on Aroree is really interesting, given that she had moved away from that look the last time we saw her.  So I wonder what makes her go back to it?

I really like the high collar on Venka... although, conversely, I've never liked the design of her outfit around the hips, with those odd cut-out things (I'm not sure what to even call them).  Wendy must really like that design, though, to have kept it for Venka when she could have changed it.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 11:07:38 AM »

I don't visit Facebook this often, but as I checked in there today after a while I saw this new teaser:

This is what Wendy wrote:

Really enjoying getting to know the next generation of elves...but, as I didn't get to design a number of them, knowing them in terms of how they speak to me. F'r instance, I really wanted to see a bit of "grandpa One-Eye" in Pool. So his n...ose is more blunt than mom and dad's. Older Scouter's eyes are his standout feature, brilliant and focused. Pool's eyes are a shimmery combo of mom's and dad's. The name "Pool" suggests he shimmers all over and has depth beneath the surface that I'll enjoy exploring.

Not wearing all that much, are they?  :D

nilla

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »

This is what Wendy wrote:

Not wearing all that much, are they?  :D
No kidding. O_o It looks like most of it is about to fall off.
I love Tyleet's clothing here tho. O.o I'm kinda happy to see her like this. She looked so...sickly, in the wild hunt comics.

Multimedea

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 12:37:34 PM »

I love that Pool has some One-Eye in him!

And maybe they're all on a family vacation...who needs clothes then?  ;D

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »

Another small glance at a cover mockup for the Final Quest

Wendy's statement concerning the cover #1

Elfmom here! Morning all! SDCC approaches fast. Another new thing we're trying this year: we'll be running a continuous slideshow of our current and upcoming projects right at our Artists Alley table. I just finished assembling all thirty images from "Line of Beauty - the Art and Soul of Wendy Pini," "Masque of the Red Death" and, of course "Elfquest - the Final Quest." Here's a slide of the Final Quest cover mockup. (Note: this was done specifically for SDCC and is NOT necessarily the official cover of the series.) Enjoy!

Wendy's statement concerning the cover # 2

Hi everyone. This comment's important enough that I'm re-posting it, here, so it won't get lost in a previous thread. This cover mockup was done specifically for the slide show we'll be running at our table at SDCC on an 8 X 6 inch screen. The digital painting, therefore, needed to be quite simple in both design and color. It is not likely to be the official cover of the series. We've noted that some of you, particularly our European fans, seem strongly prejudiced against digital Elfquest art. There has been some angry insistence that I return to the laborious hand inking and watercolor/mixed media painting of yore. I believe this is a matter of taste...possibly a cultural one. Comments on other "Final Quest" teaser art have reflected your pleased surprise that you can't tell the difference between my "hand drawn" and my digital work. "Final Quest" will probably take me about four years to complete. When we settle with a publisher, it means the added pressure of deadlines. Therefore it will be drawn and colored digitally in the same way that seems to have been pleasing most of you, here. As always, I will give it my all and my best.

nilla

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 11:56:06 AM »

Hmmm.
It's interesting. Leetah looks like she's come full circle and returned to her Sunfolk look.

I...don't...know what to think about the star that's been smacked on Skywise's head thingy. :lol I'm getting flashbacks to Sailormoon here...

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 12:21:54 PM »

Ohhhh... I hadn't made that connection yet. Pictures...rushing to my head...
I also think that's probably the third or fourth Final Quest outfit for Leetah. I liked them all, I think.

Multimedea

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 02:09:51 PM »

Wow...if I was a European fan of EQ, I'd be laying out a 'WTF?!?', right now. :-\  But, as a dyed-in-the-red-white-and-blue US fan, I'd hazard what they're 'strongly prejudiced against' is not so much digital art as the subsequent dulled-down over-simplification of form and substance it's engendered in EQ comics for the past 10+ years.  ???  Going by that sample cover, it seems like EQ is regressing to the Hanna-Barbera/Filmation cel animation of the 80's.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:18:24 PM by Multimedea »

nilla

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 02:56:50 PM »

We've noted that some of you, particularly our European fans, seem strongly prejudiced against digital Elfquest art. There has been some angry insistence that I return to the laborious hand inking and watercolor/mixed media painting of yore.
Huh, really?
I don't mind that much. I only get annoyed when I spot points where stuff gets reused.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »

Wow...if I was a European fan of EQ, I'd be laying out a 'WTF?!?', right now. :-\

Yeah, the bit starting with "We've noted that..." doesn't do her credit. :doh   

Personally I would have preferred if she outright said "All you's who waste your time coming here to whinge about my art? Shove it. My time, my choices".

Still, I suppose a good portion of the population takes things at face value, so wouldn't pick up all the layers in what she wrote. So it's still the better tactic from a PR-stance.

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 09:19:26 AM »

And yet another glance at the Final Quest. I like that Reef is featured again and is not all happy-go-lucky after his healing. Could be a very interesting story how he deals with his years as the Broken One in retrospective.

Here's what Elfmom said;
Elfmom here: something for your Tuesday. Reef, the Broken One...in flashback you'll see his transformation from monster to mer-elf. More healing is needed for this angelic being to know full recovery. But how much can others do and how much must come from within himself?
Pages: [1]   Go Up