Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions?  (Read 282416 times)

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
Re: Questions?
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2009, 01:25:36 AM »

Yes, but saving it to your computer just for looking at it; nothing wrong with that I think. Any random googler can do that without thinking twice. It's very nice of you to ask (very!), but as long as you don't do anything with the images found here except saving them, I don't think there's a law that prohibits you from doing that.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2009, 08:08:38 AM »

If you are simply saving images to your personal computer and that is as far as it goes, then you needn't ask permission. I've not yet met an artist who was offended or upset at this being done. And after all, your browser is already saving everything it sees into the cache. :)

The point where permission should be asked is when images go from a computer back onto the internet, as aurianfae alluded to.

Songflower

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2009, 10:44:12 PM »

Thanks, everybody!!!  I'll be so happy with all those nice pics to look at.  I've got some EQ pics that display randomly in a screensaver, and these will go in with them.  I really like watching it when I need to just phase out and relax a little, which is often.

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2009, 10:40:50 AM »

Heya folks!

I was wondering, if there's any way to favorite others' artworks? I remember that the old eqfanart had somekind of favourite-system... I just love to see peoples' art, and it would be so very handy to have my own favourite-gallery-thingy where I could collect all my fav pictures from the awesome artists. It would save me the trouble of finding those dear pictures out of the member galleries every time I want to admire them. Could this be done?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2009, 11:04:26 AM »

Not at the moment, no. :(  Coding that would be beyond my capabilities, and the people who make the gallery software would probably only do it if I offered them a lot of money.

Czarine

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2009, 12:41:41 PM »

Ah, that's a bugger. Gotta go without. But otherwise the gallery works very well I think!  :)

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2009, 05:38:56 AM »

Heya, I have returned to bother you again!... because I cannot remember if I asked this somewhere before (if I did, I can't find out where)... is is ok to send pictures that are drawn on lined paper?... (like notebooks or the kind)... I have few pictures like that...

Obi-Rak Kaeliri

• The Silent One
  • Treewee
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire webcomic
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2009, 10:30:19 AM »

Berit, yes, it's ok to send pictures that are drawn on lined paper :)

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2010, 09:23:04 AM »

and I'm here once again!... just wanted to ask that can I post a picture that was made by someone else, (I have the artist's permission) if the art in question took reference from some other fanart ages ago, but the artist cannot remember what the reference picture was?...

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2010, 11:38:26 AM »

That is a hard question to answer without knowing what you mean by "reference".  Sometimes referencing a picture just means that one picture inspired another picture, but other times someone will copy a pose or a picture entirely. Could you describe the situation better?

In general, you can always upload something with the full explanation included. The worst that can happen is that I'll ask you to remove it. :) As long as I know someone doesn't mean to disrespect another artist, then I won't think poorly of them.  I'll just ask that they add appropriate credit or if necessary, remove an image.

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2010, 01:16:59 PM »

I thought the question of being able to post art by someone else had come up before, and the answer was no?  Like, if I wanted to post a picture I had commissioned, of my character -- I couldn't.  I thought your answer at the time was that the artist should be encouraged to join and create their own gallery.

That's how I read Berit's question -- wanting to post art by someone else, and on top of that, the other artist had based their work on some *other* piece of fan-art, but there's no info on what that was, so presumably credit to the work on which it's based can't be given?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2010, 09:01:58 PM »

Apologies, I replied too quickly the first time around. You are absolutely right Eregyrn.

That is, of course, the policy for the gallery. It is OK if you post artwork by others (with their permission) on the forums, but in the gallery all the artwork should be your own.

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2010, 09:14:14 AM »

I think it was all the poses... the original image was a Tenchu related picture, my brother just wanted to make a EQ version of the fanart... well, I'll send it in the galleries, I'll remove it right away if there is something wrong about it...

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2010, 09:33:45 AM »

I think it was all the poses... the original image was a Tenchu related picture, my brother just wanted to make a EQ version of the fanart... well, I'll send it in the galleries, I'll remove it right away if there is something wrong about it...

Berit, if you missed the conversation Eregyrn and I just had, one thing that isn't OK is uploading your brother's art to your gallery, even if you have his permission. He'll either need to have his own gallery, or you can upload it somewhere else and share it on the forums.  Sorry for not explaining this in my original reply to you! 

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2010, 09:44:38 AM »

oh, Ok! then I'll go and remove the fanart! sorry for the trouble!..

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2010, 09:49:23 AM »

oh, and while we are on the subject... what if I colored the drawing he did?... not saying I'd be doing so, but just wanted to know... this might be useful information for someone else...

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2010, 09:53:36 AM »

If you colored someone's artwork, then that can be uploaded to your album, as long as you've given the artist credit and have their permission.  :)

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2010, 10:05:05 AM »

ok, and to make things perfectly clear, what if the situation was like here? the artist took reference from other fanart and doesn't know that name of the original artist, and then someone colored it and send it here, would that be ok?... sorry to bother you this much, but I bet this might be useful for someone, someday...

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2010, 11:20:50 AM »

Just my 2 cents here -- obviously, the official answer is Foxeye's :) -- but IMO, in a case where you based your work on some other piece of art (whether it's fan-art or not), but now you can't find the original to get the artist's name... I would think it'd be okay to post it, with a note basically to that effect.  "I based this on a fan-art piece I saw long ago, but I can't remember the artist's name and can't find the piece now -- does it look familiar to anyone?" 

That way, at least your viewers would know what they are looking at (they would know that some part of what they're seeing is from you, and some part is owed to this prior artist).  My viewpoint is that giving credit to other artists is very important, but it's equally important that you're informing your viewers of what they are seeing and appreciating.  (You don't want your viewers praising you for your handling of a pose, or a wonderful background, if that's what you actually got from the prior artist.)  And you never know, maybe someone else will recognize it and be able to tell you who did it.

I'll be interested to see what Foxeye says, though.  I could understand the gallery's rules going the other way.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2010, 11:47:16 AM »

Eregyrn, stop stealing the words from my fingertips! *laugh* You posted while I was crafting a response that is basically the same as you just said:

There are two reasons to be thorough with giving credit:
1) So that you do not take credit for something you didn't do.  Doing so is "cheating", and this is offends not just the artist who deserves the credit, but offends your peers as well.
2) So that appropriate credit is given to the person who deserves it.

If you can't do #2, at the very least you can still do #1. In the case of the pose, say "The pose was copied from another artist; I can't find their picture or their name".  Sometimes someone else will know who it was and tell you.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2010, 07:52:26 PM »

Actually, I think I need to revisit this subject again. After discussing this at some length with Iri, I've changed my mind about whether it's ok to just say "I don't know who I copied".

There is referencing, and there is copying. Copying requires the permission of the original artist, referencing doesn't.  So if something was copied, and you don't know who the artist was (and so you cannot ask their permission), then you should not upload it.

So...what is the difference between referencing and copying?

That...is a very large subject, and worthy of it's own conversation. Which could well span many pages.  And probably would need pictures

For now, if you aren't sure, show the two pictures to Iri or I and ask our opinion. :)

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2010, 06:35:50 AM »

Hi! it seems I'm always here! well, about copying, I added a little while ago a picture of one of the Gotara shamans to the gallery, and I don't know if I should delete it or not, I hadn't seen your latest post here, I can take it off right away if you say so...

and another subject, if I was planning to add an non-Elfquest gallery in the forums, I actually don't know how to do so, do you have to have a photobucket account for it, or could it be done by some other way?...

here is the link to the shaman picture http://www.elfquestfanart.com/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=2313
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 06:37:40 AM by Berit »

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2010, 10:39:48 AM »

Hi! it seems I'm always here! well, about copying, I added a little while ago a picture of one of the Gotara shamans to the gallery, and I don't know if I should delete it or not

It's OK to draw things straight from the comic, as long as you freely admit that you did so, which you did. :)

Drawing things from artwork that isn't published by WaRP Graphics is a little more complicated. In that situation I'd want you to have the artist's permission.

and another subject, if I was planning to add an non-Elfquest gallery in the forums, I actually don't know how to do so, do you have to have a photobucket account for it, or could it be done by some other way?...

Alas, yes, you'd have to get an account with some place like photobucket.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »

Alas, yes, you'd have to get an account with some place like photobucket.

Aaaaaaactually...you might want to wait on that. Kael and I are getting close to moving this site to a new webhost. Once we do that, we are going to enable the ability to add attachments to your posts. It's not always the prettiest way to showcase artwork in a post, but it will save you from having to get a separate image hosting account.

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2010, 07:28:22 PM »

ah, alright, thank you again!...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up