Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Game of Thrones - Book and Show  (Read 18103 times)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
Game of Thrones - Book and Show
« on: July 15, 2011, 03:39:23 PM »

(It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyways....use spoiler space if you discuss anything remotely spoilery.)

Soooooo....how many people are ravenously reading A Dance with Dragons right now? Or perhaps reading it a few precious chapters at a time, then switching to another book for a while, to try to make it last?

Or are there any people who are fans of HBO's Game of Thrones who haven't read the books?

And I gotta ask...is there anyone else who originally got into the first book because ...

Spoilers for first book

...of the dire wolves and thought "Squeee, the Stark kids are gonna be Wolfriders!!".  *cough*  In theory those direwolves look like they'll get big enough...

Faerydae

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • ElfWitch.com
Re: Game of Thrones - Book and Show
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 09:40:12 PM »

Don't have the pay channels, sooooo ... NO idea what you are talking about hehe! Hopefully someone else will have been watching itthough!
~Faerydae

(also known as Rainy)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:04:06 AM »

Hah, well, once it comes out on DVD (either holidays or next spring...not sure yet), you must go forth and investigate. I'd be shocked if you didn't fall in love with it. ^_^ Or, of course, there's always the books! 

And speaking of, it's a long shot, but is anyone else here planning to attend the Redwood City, CA signing next week?  Kael and I should be there, more for the experience of the general geekery than out of any serious interest in signatures, and as always it'd be nice to say hello to others. :)

silentleaf

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 11:45:49 AM »

OMG I totally thought the same thing! RIDE THE WOLVES LITTLE ONES RIDE!  I have not seen the show yet but people keep telling me its great. I'm going to re read the books here soon if i ever get some down time.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:18:21 PM »

My favorite fan videos of the series...it's not toooo spoilery for anyone who doesn't know the books. The actress for Arya Stark is a real gem...every scene she's in is either heartbreaking or heartwarming.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:24:38 PM by Foxeye »

Saree

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 12:19:56 AM »

I join the club of "GoT is sooooooo stunning!!"

But when I read the books several years back I did not make the connection wolf -> Wolfrider. Although it is soo obvious! *doh*   ;)

But some criticism of the TV-series here: they show the wolves too seldom!!!

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 06:07:58 AM »

I've wanted to watch it for ages now, but I'm on a Doctor Who trip atm xD When I'm done with that I think I might finally get around to watching/reading it, it sounds awesome!

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 10:48:29 AM »

But some criticism of the TV-series here: they show the wolves too seldom!!!

At the ComicCon panel yesterday the show runners commented that one of the things to expect from Season 2 was that the "wolves would be growing up". Since I know they had trouble with the behavior of the live wolves from season 1, I suspect they'll be CGI this season, so's they can start getting big. Hopefully that means they'll show them more. :)

windbourne

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 11:14:55 AM »

I find this prospect tremendously exciting, as that was one of my (few) problems with the series. :3 I wanted those wolves to be ENORMOUS and omnipresent with certain of the Stark kids, as they are in the books. :3

At the ComicCon panel yesterday the show runners commented that one of the things to expect from Season 2 was that the "wolves would be growing up". Since I know they had trouble with the behavior of the live wolves from season 1, I suspect they'll be CGI this season, so's they can start getting big. Hopefully that means they'll show them more. :)

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 12:41:08 PM »

OOOOO  WISH I HAD HBO. DAMN. DAMN. DAMN

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 12:20:04 PM »

I find this prospect tremendously exciting, as that was one of my (few) problems with the series. :3 I wanted those wolves to be ENORMOUS and omnipresent with certain of the Stark kids, as they are in the books. :3

Ooh ooh! This just in over at winter-is-coming.net in the comments section, from someone who is an extra:

Quote from: Lord Two Feathers
As usual I can not reveal much information about the Saintfield shoot for contractual reasons.From info. already available you will know there is two sets, godswood and Stark camp with stockade.I didn`t see the godswood set,and I am sure you guys can work out what was going down in the camp. BTW I have seen an adult direwolf! ….No Shit ! Anyone concerned about the size or ferocity of these beasties can rest easy. The description George gives in the books IS accurate!

Ca-Twin

• AdultSwim
  • Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 12:28:06 AM »

I am still reading book five..lol  I read a couple of chapters and then stop for a while then start back up again latter.  I am watching season 3 of it and it is cool.  I love the cast.  They needed to show more of the Dier wolves.
Truelife, PC, Sweetwater holt

Kojiyumi

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 01:07:45 AM »

Red.  Wedding.   

That's all I'll say.

We love the dire wolves in this part.... but we will still take what is ours with fire and blood!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:48:32 AM by Kojiyumi »

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 12:06:50 PM »

vague spoilers below

So glad that moving forward the Book Walkers no longer have to hide That Really Big Thing from the Unsullied.  My sister is now, alas, almost ready to give up on the show. We'll see if that notion sticks any better than Ned's head did ;)

I was definitely bawling my eyes out. Gotta say that Argus Filch makes Walder Frey such a joy to watch and hate.  All the bad guys in this show are done so well ^_^

Kojiyumi

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 12:25:05 PM »

Nyke Daenerys Jelmāzmo hen Targārio Lentrot, hen Valyrio Uēpo ānogār iksan. Valyrio muño ēngos ñuhys issa.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »

Nyke Daenerys Jelmāzmo hen Targārio Lentrot, hen Valyrio Uēpo ānogār iksan. Valyrio muño ēngos ñuhys issa.

Aww man...do I dare hope that the guy who created the High Valyrian tongue for the show made it available on Google Translate....?

Kojiyumi

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 06:47:11 AM »

Kojiyumi

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 05:57:43 AM »

....is it next season yet? 

Need moar zaldrīzes....

Pyreite

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 09:27:36 PM »

o.O! My latest guilty pleasure!  I didn't think much of GoT when it first came on TV, but after a year and being bored out of my skull I watched snippets of season two, got curious about season one, hired the thing, watched it and instantly was like 'OMG - This stuff is actually pretty good!'  Even with the age restrictions, the weirdness, and the occassional MA snapshot, it's actually fairly tame when you think about the violence and nudity.  I mean Marvel cartoons are more violent and saucy in comparison.  Sure Superman doesn't bleed, but he gets generally bashed through forty feet of concrete on a daily basis.  That's fairly violent. 

I actually liked GoT, not the book but the television series.  I found it tasteful without being overtly self-explanatory, you know where they spell everything out for you, so you don't get any actual surprises, and you already know what's going to happen.  They use foreshadowing very well.  The source material is also complex enough to keep you interested, especially in the television series too.  Though I am biased technically, I think the best characters for moi are Dany, Tyrion (face it he's an imp with attitude), and any of the Stark kids, including Jon Snow, though I like his wolf friend Ghost better LOL.  Must be an elfquest fettish. 

Thumbs up to the writers, the author, the characters, and the TV show.  It's so excellent I brought the boxsets of season 1 and 2 in the same week. 

~ Pyre
Pages: [1]   Go Up