Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 Fan Calendar Guidelines  (Read 590659 times)

Tevokkia

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Tev's DeviantArt
Re: 2012 Fan Calendar Guidelines
« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2011, 05:56:46 AM »

I have to disagree! There are tons of possibilities, in all three elements.
For example the action shot; if you make the character sit or squat, then the space needed will be more squareshaped. Action doesn't only mean standing or running, just make 'm do something in character and you're good.

I ended up doing the sit/squat thing, but normally when someone asks me for an action pose, they're asking for dynamic movement. So it's hard to get out of that mindset.

branchscamper

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2011, 05:38:31 PM »

I was in very excited mode to draw and then got really frustrated -_-  I'm trying really hard and I think I'm in the "okay" stage now.  I just need a little inspiration to get me back to the excited mode.  I have bits and pieces of Longfin's picture that I'm not happy with and it *might* just be me, but it just makes me put it aside time and time again.  I'm about to go back to it and see what happens  :)

And since I've been drawing in b/w ink for well over 2 years now when I went and re-read the rules the "full colour" put me in full panic.  I'm trying to come up with the best way for me to go about that.  I wish I had time to practice on my tablet, but every thing is being done by hand at the moment. 

Ok I'll get over my funk and get to work! 

Tevokkia

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Tev's DeviantArt
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2011, 07:34:06 PM »

And since I've been drawing in b/w ink for well over 2 years now when I went and re-read the rules the "full colour" put me in full panic.  I'm trying to come up with the best way for me to go about that.  I wish I had time to practice on my tablet, but every thing is being done by hand at the moment. 

Ok I'll get over my funk and get to work! 

You can always draw/ink your work in black and white and color on the computer, if it's easier for you than using real media for colors. Depending on what program you have on your computer, there are plenty of people on the forum to give you pointers. If you need some Photoshop suggestions, I'd be happy to describe some techniques (or give you some action files, which are wonderful, blessed time savers), as until about 6 months ago, I was working primarily in ink and then coloring digitally.

Startear

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 19, 2011, 05:17:30 AM »

Zombie elves are why Foxeye and I have volunteered our services to help with anatomy and other artistic problems anyone may be having.   ;D  We are both on the judging crew (if indeed there will need to be any judging), so it doesn't ruin any surprise sharing your sketches with us.

Hehe, the problem was that I started with the hat, because it is so huge. Then when I drew the face the mouth turned more like stitches. A art teacher told me once that if you get frustrated or can't make it properly, then you should turn it into something else. So now I have a Minyah shaped purple hat with a brown skinned face, green eyes, and stitch mouth. And it flies.

Maybe I should post it...
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #179 on: August 19, 2011, 08:54:15 AM »

So now I have a Minyah shaped purple hat with a brown skinned face, green eyes, and stitch mouth. And it flies.

Maybe I should post it...

Oh please do! That sounds amazing....Flying Minyah Zombie can have my Ninja Treewee for a sidekick if she wants. ^_^   

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 19, 2011, 11:24:59 AM »

I think it's rather Ninja Treewee who has flying bodyless Minyah as sidekick. :P I've put it up for people to see.
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 19, 2011, 05:56:34 PM »

Quote from: Tevokkia
.... and action, to me, generally suggests something either horizontal or vertical (not necessarily strongly so, but certainly not square!)

Huh, I feel that both vertical and horizontal are fairly static.  "Action" to me means diagonals!  It is not difficult to fit an action shot in a square; instead of very upright poses, think running, leaping, holding a bow/sword out away from the body... those kinds of things.

I'm having trouble keeping my action shot from running outside its quarter page.

I hope you guys aren't being so strict about the 1/2, page, 1/4 page thing.  I said "approximately."  Look at Wendy's pin-ups, the size relations are fairly flexible.  On most of them, the portrait takes up more room than 1/4 page and the action shot takes less (Timmain and Skywise are reversed though).

So don't divide your page so inflexibly.  I am finding that having the "sexy pose" not be such a rectangular 1/2 page does wonders for the composition.  If it goes over the 1/2 mark on either top or bottom and less than 1/2 page on the other end, that leaves room for the portrait where more space is left and the action shot where less space is left.  Since you can have a bit of scenery in the "sexy pose" it is fairly easy to make it non-rectangular.

Of course, it does change the rules a bit when your character can fly.   ;)  My Aurek piece has an atypical layout for these pin-ups, even though all the elements are pretty much the same proportions as Wendy's.

I'm afraid two out of three of them are somewhat less than truly action-oriented.

Well, look at Wendy's.  That is about the same ratio she came up with, too!   ;D  Warriors need real action poses!  Gardeners and healers... not so much.

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 19, 2011, 06:07:31 PM »

If you've got some nice line work in black ink, one of the most attractive ways to color it is as if it were an animation cel, fairly simple coloration that won't take away from the nice line work.  There was just a wonderful coloring tutorial posted on DeviantArt yesterday on different types of coloring that you would probably find very useful:
http://today.deviantart.com/dds/?day=2011-08-16#/d45i1k3

By the way, that type of coloring doesn't have to be done on the computer.  I know Afke often does a hand inked drawing, scans it (maybe adjusts some proportions), does a bit of base coloring on the computer, then prints it on nice paper to be finished with traditional coloring methods.  To see a version of this type of coloring done completely in traditional media, look at the Skywise Christmas greeting in my gallery.  That one was inked in permanent ink, then I used mostly watercolor for the fairly simple coloring job.

When we say "full color," don't think it has to look "painted."

Tevokkia

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Tev's DeviantArt
« Reply #183 on: August 19, 2011, 07:38:33 PM »

Warriors need real action poses!  Gardeners and healers... not so much.

Well, Graywolf, at least, looks like he's trying to fit as much awesome onto his not-quite-square as possible. Willowgreen is definitely just chillin', though. >.<

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2011, 09:17:26 PM »

That's a marvelous tutorial...thanks Windrider.

I set out originally to do my pinups using the same "thin pencil ink" style that I did many of my recent EQ fan art pieces in, but after seeing how much fun I had with Yereh in a bit more slap-dash style, I'm thinking I may just paint over the inks. Constraining myself to "lines" never has produced my best artwork, as much as I admire people with strong inks. I can never "reign in" my colors sufficiently to work nicely with inks.  :-\

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2011, 09:55:43 PM »

You are welcome!

I know I've said it somewhere else here, but it bears repeating.  Artist by and large fall into one of two camps; those who think primarily in line and those who think primarily in tone/color.  It is important to note that one is not better than the other.  Most, if not all, artists have some crossover; of course line artists will use color/tone and tonal artists will use line, but one or the other will dominate the art.  It is rarely all that successful if you try to go against your natural instinct.

Comics artists are nearly all line-oriented.  Just a fact of the medium historically, but it is increasingly possible to do tone-oriented comics with the evolution of how comics are printed/available.  Wendy is most definitely a line artist primarily (her color use is very nice, but nowhere near the spectacular beauty of her line), so most fan artists try to emulate her.  Even Foxeye and I have fallen in that trap, but both of us are tone artists!  Our most successful EQ art is made by using Wendy's character design and proportions, but done in our own style.

I hope this is how you all are approaching the pin-ups, because this calendar has truly epic potential for a range of styles.

On a side note, it always amazes me that people like my line work so much.  Compared to a true line artist, I think my lines are overworked and don't flow all that well.  It is because I am fighting my natural inclination to almost "sculpt" a form out of light and shadow instead.  Inking is painful.  I have almost a pathological aversion to putting a stark black line on a pristine white surface - I can do it, but it stresses me out!   :o

aurianfae

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2011, 11:49:47 PM »

Just a question... are they all required to be done with lineart? I prefer to sketch and then skip the lineart all together, paint in my colors, and then delete the sketch. I'm just curious how uniform this all has to be.

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #187 on: August 20, 2011, 02:36:27 AM »

Hey Arianfae, just work the way you want to work. Windrider just posted that you shouldn't go against your "art nature" -- if you're used to work without linework, don't suddenly do that now if it means it constrains you.

The only "uniformity" we're looking for, is that you leave white around your picture, as it is done in the original pin-up calendar, and that the picture is done in color. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's okay all similarities stop there. :)

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #188 on: August 20, 2011, 02:43:03 AM »

Hehe, the problem was that I started with the hat, because it is so huge.
No matter how big that hat is, it's still only an accessory. It has to fit on a head, in stead of the other way 'round; so start by drawing the head, and fit the hat on top of that. :]

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 20, 2011, 08:01:29 AM »

Arianfae:  What Afke said!   ;)

Quote from: Windrider
... successful EQ art is made by using Wendy's character design and proportions, but done in (y)our own style.

I hope this is how you all are approaching the pin-ups, because this calendar has truly epic potential for a range of styles.

Tevokkia

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Tev's DeviantArt
« Reply #190 on: August 20, 2011, 09:49:50 AM »

I know I'm a line artist. I can work with tones and do it well (to a point), but I'm never quite as comfortable with it- and I have to at least have line sketches to work from.  Even many of my works that are primarily painted still have the pencil lines visible over parts of the painting ... I detest having to fill in facial features and small details in tone only. It always looks sloppy and undefined the way I do it.

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 20, 2011, 12:44:22 PM »

I don't know what type of artist I am... because I'm just starting to draw properly :P Must confess that I loathe inking though, even if I sometimes work with pen. http://ofelas.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3kg6ej

Faerydae

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • ElfWitch.com
« Reply #192 on: August 20, 2011, 05:07:09 PM »

See and I wish I could work using form and color more ... I have a harder time with that I think than most - I taught myself to draw using Wendy's strong inks, and though in *many* cases she painted with her inks using negative and positive spaces rather than lines, I tended to focus on the lines.

I'm trying to break away from that more and more, but its very hard to do.
~Faerydae

(also known as Rainy)

aurianfae

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2011, 01:04:09 PM »

I did the same at first, Faerydae, but I wanted to paint more realistically so I forced myself to stop using lines. Not that I was great with them in the first place, but now I can paint better than I can draw. And by paint, I mean paint in photoshop.

Wolfrider

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2011, 07:29:58 PM »

Okay, so with the white margins on the side of the art - you mean, no part of the main artwork (like a weapon or any part of the body) can go off the margins, has to be white all around?

I think I may be done! Just wanted to make sure..

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2011, 08:18:41 PM »

We are doing a continuation of Wendy's pin-ups.  Like I posted in the Guidelines, you need to look at hers here so you know what we are trying to do:
http://www.elfquest.com/social/index.php?do=/EQArtGallery/photo/elfquest-1998-calendar/

The only differences are the square formats, the not-so-strict arrangement of the compositional elements, and the fact that there should be a ton of different styles by different artists.  Note that in Wendy's pin-ups, some have a background of sorts behind the "sexy" pose, but on some there is no background at all anywhere.  In any case, on all of them the background is mostly white.

A couple of the pin-ups already submitted have a more extensive background than Wendy's, but viewing them all in the gallery, they still look part of the series because of the white margins.  We won't complain if a weapon goes off the page, but really take a look at Wendy's to try to get in the spirit of this project.

branchscamper

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2011, 11:25:21 PM »

@ Tevokkia - I would love any help I can get!  Before I turned completely to b/w inks by hand I basically would draw a picture, outline it in ink and colour it with coloured pencils.  Unfortunately coloured pencils don't scan very well and I felt as if my pictures did not show the quality of seeing it in person, so turned to the b/w.  I attempted twice with markers and once very amateurishly used my Adobe PS7 to colour in a cartoony character, but that's as far as I have gotten.  My family bought me a tablet (have to check which kind), but my super busy schedule keeps me from spending hours practicing much to my dismay :( 

@ Windrider - Thank you for the link!  I will read it more thoroughly and try to experiment.  My artist style is very, very basic compared to what I've been reading and seeing *^_^*;;  I have painted on canvas, but only scenic and as my goal the past couple years has been to be a mangaka I haven't spent a lot of time on colour; mostly focusing on lines.  When I do colour it is very close to cartoon/animation variety.  I feel so...amateur here...

On a good note I bought new pens to do my outlines and am soooo happy!  I had my last set stolen and have had to "make due" with ones that made my lines too thick (well atleast for me) so I am ready to attack my work again!  I think I will spend the time drawing all my pieces and then freak over the colouring once I am finished *lol* 

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #197 on: August 22, 2011, 10:57:37 AM »

Hey branchscamper, if you're not sure about colors, I'm willing to do a collaboration and color your picture..?

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 22, 2011, 04:16:51 PM »

Here is an update on the untaken characters and character versions, if we have new people who want to join in who are having a difficult time figuring out who is left.  There are also some obscure characters not even on the list yet (I've been eyeing some of those cute Jackwolfriders).  Also, characters may be taken by two artists, so I haven't included EVERYONE with only one artist.

Aerth
Cutter (Full Circle/Searcher long fur robe version)
Deir
Dewshine (SaBM)
Dodia (SaBM)
Ikopek/Bee
Kahvi (Hidden Years "Going Back")
Kalil
Khorbasi
Kimo (Sun Village/Forevergreen)
Kroosh
Mardu
Mender (any Wild Hunt, Mender's Tale, or Recognition version)
Newstar (Searcher)
Pike (patchwork)
Prey-Pacer
Rayek (as a major character, he needs all kinds of love: SaBM, Shards, buckle outfit, etc)
Redlance (Searcher)
Scouter  (SaBM or Wild Hunt - or even a "bad guy" chief Scouter)
Shushen
Skywise (OQ and/or SaBM outfit)
Strand
Strongbow (SaBM)
Treestump (OQ, SaBM or Searcher)
Windkin (blue jumpsuit look in the "Going Back" story)
Woodlock (Don't know which version Eleri is doing, but he has both "woldrider" and Sun Village)
Yun (Wild Hunt, Recognition)

Tevokkia

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Tev's DeviantArt
« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »

Branchscamper: My Photoshop instructions got a little long-winded, so I PMed them to you.

Although if anyone else wants technical instructions for separating your linework from your background in Photoshop, I can always post it somewhere anyway.

I've got some tutorials that I'm working on making ... they're not EQ-related, but they are technique tutorials (mostly for Photoshop, but they apply to almost any kind of digital coloring). Would people be interested in my posting them?  I haven't been on here long and I don't know what people like.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27   Go Up