Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 Fan Calendar Guidelines  (Read 590650 times)

branchscamper

• Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Fan Calendar Guidelines
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2011, 11:32:42 AM »

I'm really excited!  I'm kinda glad the artists names were posted because now if we need any help finding pictures we can ask without trying to be all sneaky about it XD  I am overwhelmed by the number of people participating and it's awesome =)

As for my pictures...I'm working on one and only have the close up mostly done.  I'm trying to think of the character and also be original when it comes to all of them.  I'm probably over thinking XD

kittensoft

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2011, 07:08:30 PM »

Have the basic sketches for most of my poses done now :)

A quick question: How much "action" should be in the "action" shot, ie-would you prefer something really dynamic like running or fighting, or can it be a simple pose like standing & looking off into the distance or holding a flower?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2011, 07:43:37 PM »

Have the basic sketches for most of my poses done now :)

A quick question: How much "action" should be in the "action" shot, ie-would you prefer something really dynamic like running or fighting, or can it be a simple pose like standing & looking off into the distance or holding a flower?

Wendy herself had a range. Venka, for example, was just a standing pose.  I think the most important thing is to be true to the character's personality. :)

Larialoyla

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2011, 02:53:20 AM »

Wolfriders 5 heads tall, humans 7.5-8... How about the rest of them (Gliders, Wavedancers, High Ones etc.)? I'm trying to work on my elf drawing skills, so this info would be very helpful to me :)

Quote:
>>
>But Ember and Teir are 4.5 heads tall.  The usual Wendy wolfrider proportion is 5 heads tall.  (Human proportions are usually 7.5 to 8 heads tall.)  So if their heads were about 10% smaller, give or take, they'd look like they fit the figures better.

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2011, 08:33:55 AM »

Wolfriders 5 heads tall, humans 7.5-8... How about the rest of them (Gliders, Wavedancers, High Ones etc.)? I'm trying to work on my elf drawing skills, so this info would be very helpful to me :)

Quote:
>>
>But Ember and Teir are 4.5 heads tall.  The usual Wendy wolfrider proportion is 5 heads tall.  (Human proportions are usually 7.5 to 8 heads tall.)  So if their heads were about 10% smaller, give or take, they'd look like they fit the figures better.

I don't recall that any of the info in the Gatherums addressed the proper proportions for Gliders/High Ones/etc.  That's where I got the "wolfriders = 5 heads tall" info from -- Wendy did some figure guides for animators that broke down proportions, but they mainly applied to wolfriders and elves of related size (Sun Folk and Go-Backs, I guess).  I suppose the idea was that since those are so short, they are the most difficult for other artists to figure out how to do?

It's also true that while Wendy provided these guidelines, I think she also isn't completely consistent with them.  She's PRETTY consistent, but I think she also plays it by ear depending on the piece.

So -- a quick examination of a couple of pictures by her that have High Ones standing upright reveals a little variation:

* The picture of Savah and Yurek from the Lovemates calendar has both of them at approx. 8-heads-high proportion.

* Timmain on the Pin-Ups calendar is aprox. 7.5 heads high.  (When measuring "heads", you also have to account for poofy hair.  That is, try to figure out what the size of the skull is, not what size the head is when you add on poofy hair.)

Therefore, I think it's broadly safe to say that the Gliders and High Ones and Wavedancers are probably the same as human proportion, in height; of course you can tell they're elves by their willowy rather than sturdy build.

Larialoyla

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2011, 09:57:08 AM »

Thanks! This was really helpful to me! I've taken on No-Ripple for the calendar, and I'll try not to make her too short (I'm used to drawing mostly wolfriders) :)

Tevokkia

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Tev's DeviantArt
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2011, 06:27:53 AM »

Willowgreen is proving to be an interesting challenge, as Wendy never drew her (to my knowledge), and each of the other artists who portrayed her had styles that didn't lend well to picking out distinct facial features (I apologize to any serious fans of the artists who did those series, but I find that many of the female faces look very much the same aside from hair). As a result, my picture is looking more like a fan character than a recognizable canon character.

Also, a question- I fell in love with Willowgreen as a character reading Ties that Bind, the Mercedes Lackey story in BoTC 4: Against the Wind. The Two-Spear miniseries, however, details a very different chain of events, and each of her different writers gives her a (sometimes vastly) different personality. (I'm drawing her more with the Lackey personality traits than the Yale/Blevins/Shelton, Monago/Bonnels/Kaalberg, or Collins/Barral/Blair personality traits). Since none were actually written by Wendy and Richard, which is considered more canon? Or does it really matter?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2011, 08:46:02 AM »

Tentatively I'd say Willlwgreen from the Two-Spear and Kahvi series *is* supposed to be canon, but...I'm with you that I really like the Ties that Bind version so much more.  

I would say (as you do) that the non-Wendy renditions are often so vague in their characterization (and outright wrong at times), that I think you have room for interpretation in her body-language/personality/facial-features. Opinions Windrider?

(Why oh why didn't The Ties that Bind make it into the BoTC comic adaptations?! Or In Memory Green? THe latter was SUCH a touching story of the high ones and their first generation that I cry a little inside whenever I remember that How Shall I Keep From Singing made it non-canon. Richard wrote a beautiful story.)

(There's an amazing story about the high ones and their first generation, written by Richard himself no less, that is made non-canon by the "How Shall I Keep From Singing?" two-parter. THat is one of the saddest "casualties", imho, even though the characters from HSIKFS are very pretty people. :) )
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 09:07:31 AM by Foxeye »

Treefox

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2011, 09:05:27 AM »

It isn't what?
I am so glad that I got the novels (even though I had to pay more for customs than for the actual books)! There were so many stories in them that I loved. I loved all the dark Rahnee stories and generally all that information about "The Hunt". I also wish so very much that those stories would have made it into comics.
I think that any interpretation of Willowgreen based on those stories can only be good.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2011, 09:08:26 AM »

whoops, that was a remnant. :D Still waking up.

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2011, 01:38:01 PM »

Tentatively I'd say Willlwgreen from the Two-Spear and Kahvi series *is* supposed to be canon, but...I'm with you that I really like the Ties that Bind version so much more.  

I would say (as you do) that the non-Wendy renditions are often so vague in their characterization (and outright wrong at times), that I think you have room for interpretation in her body-language/personality/facial-features. Opinions Windrider?

(Why oh why didn't The Ties that Bind make it into the BoTC comic adaptations?! Or In Memory Green? THe latter was SUCH a touching story of the high ones and their first generation that I cry a little inside whenever I remember that How Shall I Keep From Singing made it non-canon. Richard wrote a beautiful story.)

(There's an amazing story about the high ones and their first generation, written by Richard himself no less, that is made non-canon by the "How Shall I Keep From Singing?" two-parter. THat is one of the saddest "casualties", imho, even though the characters from HSIKFS are very pretty people. :) )

Considering what they did to the story called Summer Tag and Colors, I'm rather glad they didn't adapt those stories into the comics. But then again, I say that the stories in the anthologies can beat the canon stories any day.

That being said, I fell in love with Willowgreen in the Kahvi comics, but any portrayal is good to me!
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »

Considering what they did to the story called Summer Tag and Colors, I'm rather glad they didn't adapt those stories into the comics.

True.  :-\

Then again, I rather liked the interpretation of Tales of the Snow Beast and At the Oak's Root.

Tevokkia

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Tev's DeviantArt
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2011, 02:28:53 PM »

Hmph .... I just realized how amazing awful my action shot is (aside from the face and head). After I started putting colors down.  I've got a better idea for a pose, but it's going to be fun trying to salvage the part I like since it's on 5 different layers.

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2011, 03:24:05 PM »

True.  :-\

Then again, I rather liked the interpretation of Tales of the Snow Beast and At the Oak's Root.

Agreed. Tale of the Snowbeast is one of the few stories I felt was given proper justice. At the Oak's Root was one I never finished reading, since I was moving while reading that book and had to deliver it to my friend, who has them all.

To not be completely off-topic, I haven't even started mine yet...not that I'm not thinking about the compositions, they are just in the planning phase.  :)
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Mist-eyes

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2011, 04:54:20 PM »

Hmph .... I just realized how amazing awful my action shot is (aside from the face and head). After I started putting colors down.  I've got a better idea for a pose, but it's going to be fun trying to salvage the part I like since it's on 5 different layers.
.  I totally know what you mean!! I worked on the action shot yesterday (which I liked) then worked on the portrait which just didn't look right and only because I'd been sitting infront of it for too long. :P

Tevokkia

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Tev's DeviantArt
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2011, 05:32:42 PM »

.  I totally know what you mean!! I worked on the action shot yesterday (which I liked) then worked on the portrait which just didn't look right and only because I'd been sitting infront of it for too long. :P

I managed to fix it after a little bit and think the new pose is much better- both more in-character for Willowgreen and kinder to my dislike of drawing feet in weird positions.  ::)

Although I think I ended up re-drawing the lips on the pin-up and portrait at least four times each today before I was completely happy with them. I've finally moved on to coloring.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2011, 08:35:34 AM »

Oh, well.
The past week I was fighting with myself if to try or not. I looked at the list and found old Suntoucher not receiving love yet. I knew there would definitely be reference pictures so... give some love to the elderly ones. Heh. And now he's already claimed 2 times, lol. Seems I'm too slow.

Um, Clearbrook with long braid is also taken, humm, Venka is claimed once ...  but she deserves better artist than me. ;)

Hmm, so whom to take? Whom to take?
Some of these names sound unfamiliar to me, and I read both English and German versions. But then I just noticed on that occasion that I have a good bunch of unread EQ material around here in my shelf. Whoa. I suck. :) But at least there is quite a lot of reference material here, and then there are also the officially released online comics.

Just in case sombody wonders why I didn't claim Rayek 12 times already... ;D
I'm not sure if I could do him justice. You know, I probably suck at art and I am so out of practise at all *sigh*. And you know, he is probably not the easiest to bring to paper/bytes and he deserves the best, of course. Rest assured, Valkyrie, Goldelf and Joyrider, I watch you closely. *Bruahahahaaaaaa* ;)

So when I look at that long list I see a few unclaimed elves.
Skimback and Spine. Spine is the Punk-hair Wavedancer, right? And for Skimback I also found refs. Hmm. *scratches chin* Hmm?
Shushen is unclaimed, is there any more appearance than somewhere in one or two issues of NewBlood?
Rainso... *Refreshes browser cache* wait... aha. Taken. Wow. Things happen too fast for me. ;)

Btw. Moonmirror is a female Wavedancer I just found not to appear in this list.
I have few Wave Dancers material here and she's also in one of the online WD parts that are not BlackMermaidProd. enough or something to be published online. So maybe we could add her to the list?
Furthermore I remembered Lutei (aka Zharin? see Bonita's Newstar page), the deceased lifemate of Newstar and father of Kimo. Also not on the list.

Is it allowed to suck at art and still claim one?
I mean I first thought to try, see the result and then decide to take part or better not but with slots filling so quickly...
If nobody cries I'd consider taking one of the yet unclaimed ones.

OMG, and I just imagined Trinket. I am somehow sure she'll have a huge pink ribbon on her head. :)
I better go shopping before the supermarket closes here and to get her out of my mind. OMG, she's shaking her hips! Raaaah! And she tried applying tons of lipstick.

Mirror

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2011, 09:52:15 AM »

jaRf;
If you want to draw Clearbrook, I believe there's a version of her that hasn't been claimed yet (didn't she have a long skirt/dress at one point?) Also, the "teenager" version of Venka hasn't been taken. Rainsong is just drawn by one person, that means that either the sun-villager or the wolfrider-version of her is still up for grabs, you'd have to ask Windrider :)

Also, I believe Moonmirror is not included since she's still a child according to Waverider standards :)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2011, 11:25:49 AM »

Windrider, what do you think about Moonmirror? She is one of their "kids", but at the same time she looks to be about the same age as Original Quest Dewshine or adolescent Ember pre-chief lock, both of which are being used.  I think she's just old enough for it to not be squicky.

Moonmirror has such beautiful coloration that I'd love to see her included.

Edit: Oh oh, we're missing Foam as well, Spray's lovely daughter. She's definitely old enough, seeing as she has a son of her own (Puffer). :)

Doll by elfeneyes

In addition to a fan artist yearbook, this thing may turn into the ultimate graphic Who's Who of ElfQuest. :P
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 11:31:06 AM by Foxeye »

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2011, 12:19:43 PM »

In addition to a fan artist yearbook, this thing may turn into the ultimate graphic Who's Who of ElfQuest. :P

True thing. :)

> Moonmirror

Well, I didn't read the entire story yet, I just flipped quickly through pages since there were a few description and standalone pictures of the characters. And she didn't look much like a child there.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2011, 12:22:36 PM »

If I recall, the initial list of characters was something Windrider pulled from an old post at the Scroll of Colors. So it's possible whoever created that list just never completed the list of Wavedancers. 

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2011, 02:53:45 PM »

Yeah, I got the character list off the Scroll, but there are lots of characters that were missing.  I've been including them as people claim them or as I run across them in my reading/research.

Yep, Moonmirror would have to be old enough to be included since Brill says she is older than Sunstream and we are including Sunstream.  Actually, there are a lot of Wavedancers not on the list yet.  I love Spine and I keep thinking I am going to have to claim him if no one else is going to show him some love!  (Pfft!  I have my doubts, with the size that this project is growing to, that I can get my original character choices done!)

Quote from: Foxeye

LOL  True!  But then, we need to get artists to claim say, the Future Quest gang!  And there's a bunch of BoTC characters I don't even know.  Edit:  Speaking of which, under what category would I put Zarhan Fastfire?  Not really a wolfrider, I guess he goes in "other."

Jarf:  Come on... you know you want to draw Rayek.  With the help of crits from Foxeye and I - you can do it!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 04:15:14 PM by Windrider »

Startear

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2011, 03:58:55 PM »

What about Rellah? Or Talen?

So many characters, so little time...

Tevokkia

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Tev's DeviantArt
« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2011, 05:00:06 PM »

Hmm, Zarhan is on the list now .... I need to finish one of mine so I can call some dibs. (It's been a little while since I've read much BoTC, so he had rather slipped my mind).

I'm suddenly super excited about Greywolf, though.

jaRf

• Tuftear
  • just another Rayek fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2011, 04:43:43 AM »

So many characters, so little time...

But many artists much combined time. Of course it's hard if you're full of ideas, bursting with creative energy but lack the time to give it a vent.

And Windrider got pm.
OMG. :)

edit:
I know you all are perfect ;) but if it is of use for anybody I'd like to remind you of the following pages
http://www.elfquest.com/fun/CharModels1.html
http://www.elfquest.com/fun/CharModels2.html
I think there was even more from Wendy's hints and tips for drawing EQ stuff.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 08:58:32 AM by jaRf »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27   Go Up