Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WaRP Panel at Wondercon on 4/1 - update on 4/2  (Read 19860 times)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
WaRP Panel at Wondercon on 4/1 - update on 4/2
« on: March 26, 2011, 11:22:43 PM »

The Pini's are holding a panel at Wondercon in San Francisco this friday, from 6:30-7:30 in the evening:

Let's Do the WaRP Time Again: Wendy Pini and Richard Pini
Venue: Room 220
Wendy Pini (Elfquest, Masque of the Red Death) and Richard Pini (Elfquest) are the W and R in WaRP Graphics. Join them for an unscripted progress report on Elfquest: The Final Quest, the Masque of the Red Death graphic novel (and musical), and last but not least, the Elfquest movie.
Speaker/Artist(s) Info: Wendy Pini, Richard Pini

Link

Since we live not too far from SF, Kael and I are hoping to attend that panel. Any chance that anyone else on these forums will be attending? I'd love to say hello to you guys. :D

------------------------------- Update -------------------------------------

Well, we did it! Don't know if the video is going to turn out to be any good...we haven't checked it out yet. If it does have adequate sound, we'll get that updated later today. We may go back today, so time is a little crunched.

The key points that come to my mind are:

Re: Final Quest
- Intended to have 3 acts. Likely means it will be 3 volumes.
- Will be in color.
- Going to start Fall-ish, according to Wendy (Richard wanted to give a more vague answer, heh)
- Hints for what is terrifying Cutter in Final Quest are within Dreamtime, so reread that series carefully
- There was a lovely color version of the Final Quest drawing from the 1990s that I'll try to at least extract a still of

Re: General ElfQuest
- Evidently Skywise's dream in Dreamtime was lifted from an actual dream that Richard had.

Re: Fan Movie
- I got to see the Nightfall actress (Paula Rhodes) in her costume at their table, and OH MY GOD SHE IS ADORABLE! She's tiny. And has has rather big eyes and great cheekbones...it's like you are literally seeing Nightfall.  You want to put her in your purse and take her home.
- There was a 50-second teaser for the fan trailer, which I understand is online now at http://www.elfquestfantrailer.com
- Paula Rhodes and Stephanie Thorpe were at the panel as well, though not in costume at that point. Very well-spoken women.

Re: WB Official Movie
- Not too much that wasn't already on the internet, but I was encouraged to hear Wendy say that the recently announced producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura has a rep for "getting things done". :D
- I'm not certain if they were just gushing about the technology or not, but when I was talking with the Pini's at their table, it sounded like they were confirming that the Elfquest movie was going to be done liveaction/CG style, ala Avatar and Gollum.  Since I can't recall them stating that officially elsewhere, though, I'm not sure if that's really the case or not.  (Kael: "I think they were just gushing about the technology")
- It sounds like WaRP is a fan of WB, and WB is a fan of ElfQuest. There are more people on the project besides Rawson Thurber who want to see it happen. Evidently Mr. Bonaventura had pitched an ElfQuest movie to paramount over a decade ago!

For my own personal SQUEEEE, Kael and I cornered poor Wendy and extracted some convention sketches out of her. ^_^  I got myself one of Crescent, and we got one of Ember and Teir together. <3 <3 <3 I don't want to scan them in, because these are special to us and I dont' want the internet to nomnomnom on them too much, but I'll take a photograph of them once we have them framed.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:47:27 PM by Foxeye »

Wildfire

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: WaRP Panel at Wondercon on 4/1
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 04:35:39 AM »

... an unscripted progress report on Elfquest: The Final Quest

:O I SO want to be there (sadly I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic Ocean xD). News on Final Quest and the movie?  That's going to be awesome.

Razzle

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:09:12 AM »

Arrrrrrgh!!! Too far away. =( Have fun for us who can't come!!!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 02:20:41 PM »

Oh yes! Please give us a good, detailed report about all the news!
Man, sometimes it does suck to live on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean...

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 02:46:20 PM »

We'll do our best. :)

Sweetwater

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 07:38:32 AM »

Well damn! If I didn't have an audition the next day i would so be there! its sounds so cool! *Jealous*

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
Re: WaRP Panel at Wondercon on 4/1 - update on 4/2
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 12:43:01 PM »

BUMP!  The first post has been updated with an initial report.

Razzle

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 04:03:03 PM »

Yayyyyyyyyy!!! *hug* Thanks for the update!

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 07:28:19 AM »

Oh yes! Thank you! I'm happy for you that you actually got sketches! Those are the best!
Waaai! The news! So exciting!
I must admit, I acutally do like what the "fan" Nightfall looks like.
But the Final Quest has me soooo hooked! Is it really going to happen? So soon?!?
Waaah! *goes to run around room excitedly*

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 04:20:15 PM »

Awesome news about Final Quest (that is what you meant by FutureQuest, yes?)! I hope they'll be some hefty volumes though, only three to go D:

The fan-trailer is fantastic. Dewshine and Nightfall (and Winnowill and Timmain) are spot on. I can't wait to see the entire thing! If the official movie looks half as good as this preview, then I'll be happy!

Thanks for posting this! And congratulations on the sketches :D

Razzle

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »

*hearts for eyes* It has Brownberry, Joyleaf, Winnowill and Kahvi -- please tell me they're doing the whole Original Quest! *hearts for eyes* I don't know if I can stand the suspense for the next 7 hours!!! lol.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 09:38:52 PM »

Well bummer! We got a bit distracted after the con with me called away to a funeral, so we've only now checked out how the video went. Unfortunately it isn't especially watchable.

But I was able to grab two screencaps of images from their slideshow.

This one got some of the biggest laughs of the evening (playing on the fact that the Dodgeball director is the one directing ElfQuest):

And this is a lovely color version of the Final Quest inks that also includes character art completely new. I'm not sure if that is Brill or...the child of Brill and Suntop..?

Moving on from that, here are a few of the many photos we took:

Moscone Center Front

The Floor

One of these is not like the others...

Most accurate Star Wars character at the con

Most accurate Doctor at the con

An honorary companion for 20 seconds, and my proudest moment of 2011 ^_^

Another happy moment, shaking hands with the exquisite Stephani Pui-Mun Law, creator of my tarot deck and many other super-loverly artworks

Me with Georges Jeanty, artist of the Buffy Season 8 comic books. He bestowed an awesome glare-of-youcandienow upon Kael: I had just told Kael that a certain character died at the end of Season 8, to which Kael had replied "They did WHAT?! Noooooo.  ...well, he had it coming."

The awesome sketches I got from Georges of Spike, Giles, and Illyria:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:47:23 PM by Foxeye »

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 11:25:51 AM »

Wow... Thanks again for sharing. This reminds me why I miss conventions every now and then. I am in love with the colored final quest pic. I loved the black and white drawing since I first saw it in the comic. I must say I liked the clothes much better than the stuff they were wearing lately.
Hmmm... I do suppose this is the child of Brill and Sunstream. She is so... green.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 03:28:41 PM »

Finally got these two up on the wall. Didn't intentionally put them with Kael's old sword that happens to look a lot like New Moon, but it's kinda cool that it ended up that way.  The WaRP-logo book ends are a coincidence as well. I am always running out of bookends. :P

silentleaf

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 10:23:55 PM »

LOVE IT!

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 12:57:11 AM »

It's gorgeous. :o

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 05:08:08 AM »

Wow, that's amazing. I want book-ends like that :O

Icebird

• Wolf
  • Toasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 08:57:23 AM »

Oh, I'm so envious! It looks like it was an awesome event! :o

I want book-ends like that

Seconded! ;D Where did you get 'em?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 09:24:58 AM »

Where did you get 'em?

Hoo, I've had them for quite some time....I think I got them back in 2001 or so out of the WaRP store, the green pair you see and a dark-red pair as well.  They are purty looking, though sadly they don't actually hold books up so well, hence being relegated to books that can hold themselves up. ^_^

Treefox

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 07:07:50 AM »

I know I'm so late, but I looove the sketches you got. Not only lovely Ember and Teir but also a Wendy-drawn Crescent! Wow! Thanks once more for sharing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up