Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feather Extensions  (Read 8222 times)

Sweetwater

Feather Extensions
« on: February 11, 2011, 03:55:41 PM »

So i got my hair done today, and i got these awesome Hair extension thingys! they are feathers that stick in your hair, and you can straighten them, curl them, wash them etc! You can't take them out when ever you want, but they do come out.

Anyone familiar with these? Anyone have them?

they are pretty cool. :) :D

Razzle

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
Re: Feather Extensions
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 06:50:49 PM »

What, as in FEATHER feathers? Sweeeeeeeeet! :D

Sweetwater

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 08:06:27 PM »

As in FEATHERS feathers! They are actually fishing lure feathers, so they aren't as fragile as regular feathers!

Razzle

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:28:07 PM »

*turns crayola marker green with jealousy* Ooooooooooooooooohhhhh!

Icebird

• Wolf
  • Toasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 01:18:48 AM »

Picture please!? ;D

Sweetwater

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:12:32 AM »

these are the picks thus far, and they look cooler in person!

Razzle

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 08:11:59 AM »

Man, that's so awesome!

Faerydae

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • ElfWitch.com
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 09:51:07 PM »

Hate to be a buzzkill, but those are really really horrible to perpetuate ...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/outdoors/2015246435_flyfash.html

"The feathers are not easy to come by in the first place.

They come from roosters that are genetically bred and raised for their plumage. In most cases, the birds do not survive the plucking.

At Whiting Farms Inc., in western Colorado, one of the world's largest producers of fly tying feathers, the roosters live about a year while their saddle feathers — the ones on the bird's backside and the most popular for hair extensions — grow as long as possible. Then the animal is euthanized.

As hair extensions, the feathers can be brushed, blow dried, straightened and curled once they are snapped into place. Most salons sell the feather strands for $5 to $10 a piece. The trend has become so popular a company online even sells feather extensions for dogs.

The craze has also left hairstylists scrambling to find rooster saddle feathers, as fly shops hold onto a select few for their regular customers. The businesses will now ask if the feathers are for hairdressing, said Shelley Ambroz, who owns MiraBella Salon and Spa in Boise."

"Whiting Farms is harvesting about 1,500 birds a week for their feathers and still can't keep up with its current orders, said owner and founder Tom Whiting, a poultry geneticist. The company has stopped taking on new accounts."

Just so you know what the impact is for those feathers - basically I haven't been able to find that they are plucked of them in a humane way (outside of killing them first), and that the chicken is then used for food products, it all pints to that they are used just for feathers.

http://blog.timesunion.com/animalrights/feather-hair-extensions-more-cruelty-for-the-sake-of-fashion/3549/

Is another report, and you can find more if you Google ... just food for thought.

Again, sorry to be the buzzkill.  :-\
~Faerydae

(also known as Rainy)

Razzle

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »

Same can be said for leather products, furs, pate de foie gra (sp?) and hamburgers. If you're not a vegetarian who uses purey man-made products, then you are the recipient of *something* like this, so dwelling on one or the other specific doesn't really do anything about the big picture.

Faerydae

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • ElfWitch.com
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 05:56:05 PM »

I'd fully disagree.

I can and do buy most of my leather products and know that the entire animal was harvested - not just a tiny part and then thrown away.

I am a full carnivore (especially since I'm eating paleo!) - but I try to know where my meat comes from, how it is harvested and raised and try to stay the heck out of grocery stores and utilize local farms instead.

If it doesn't bother you to use a decoration knowing how it is harvested - that's cool. But at least those that learn about it will then be making an informed decision and understanding the impact and deciding to accept that, whatever it might be.

I personally won't eat veal either and a variety of meats because of how the animal is raised or harvested - because the only true way to impact that industry is with one's money, IMO. But that's just how I roll, I don't attempt to make everyone do the same thing.

I'm okay with agreeing to disagree! :)
~Faerydae

(also known as Rainy)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 06:38:30 PM »

<peevish rant>

Is not carnivore. Is omnivore.

(Unless you really are a full-on animal-product-only person, but even in primal/paleo circles those are rare beasties.)

</peevish rant>

And yeah, it's a balancing act. An animal raised and killed for nothing but a few feathers is more upsetting to me than an animal who gives up it's life for a combination of food, leather, and decoration.  OK, the animal itself may not agree, but from my human POV it feels less icky that way. :)

Faerydae

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • ElfWitch.com
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 03:26:54 AM »

Ahhhh yup! you are correct, omnivore would indeed be accurate, lol!
~Faerydae

(also known as Rainy)

Razzle

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 08:08:31 AM »

*shrug* I won't ever eat veal either, or shellfish for that matter. I don't fish. I just don't think that a lighthearted thread about someone sharing something artistic is the correct time or place for a soap-box rant. That should go on the soapbox rant thread for people who'd actually *like* to read it. You have to remember that education is a choice, as well; if it's forced on everyone around you it becomes proselytizing. In short: You either *are* sorry for the buzzkill or you aren't. One or the other. Can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Faerydae

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • ElfWitch.com
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 06:54:32 PM »

In your opinion.

Well, I'm of the opinion that if you open up a topic, one ought to expect folks will input their opinion on it, even if they might disagree or see it differently. That's how people learn, and in my opinion, it's a good thing, nothing to be feared, or shut down. This world has gotten WAYYY to PC happy - like it's not okay to share your opinion with anyone unless it matches their own, which is just silly to me.

I would hate to only have "me toos" respond to my posts, as I learn nothing from those really, it is the opposing (or differing  - if the word opposing has a disagreeable connotation to it that the word alone does not actually have) engage with me, and conversations usually entail two differing views coming together.

Do I hate being a buzzkill? Well I said it, so of course, who wants to rain on someone's parade? But there is an obligation to be a voice for those that cannot speak - something I myself would think those that love EQ would understand better than most, and share information that perhaps, harvesting something and throwing away the rest isn't great for the animal. so even though I felt moved to mention how the feathers were harvested, I can (and do) feel badly that it would be raining on someones parade. I would not equate that to cake nor eating it, but instead, just the facts.

The Great Auk was hunted to extinction for their feathers alone - the book The Great Auk (http://www.amazon.com/Great-Auk-Allan-W-Eckert/dp/0884963284) is one that I'd urge anyone to find and read, as it tells the tale of the last of the species ... perhaps it is that book which stirs me, as I read it when I was 7 years old and was greatly impacted by it. It is one of those books that I seriously think every human being ought to be required to read, along with Silent Spring and a few hundred others.

But as I said before, I am more than happy to agree to disagree. :) I'm okay if you do not agree with me, variety is a wonderful thing and I appreciate and embrace diversity.
~Faerydae

(also known as Rainy)
Pages: [1]   Go Up