Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Challenge] Animals of Abode  (Read 5808 times)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
[Challenge] Animals of Abode
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:51:37 AM »

Animals of Abode

I want to thank Berit for inadvertently giving me this idea.  While Iri and I gear up the site in preparation for our first Contest (with real prizes!), I wanted to throw out a challenge in the meantime.  I  think it would be fun to pay our respects to the many awesome critters that Wendy and Richard have created.  Not to mention it would challenge many of us to draw something we aren't as familiar with.

The Challenge: Draw one (or many) of the animals of abode, especially those you've never tried before. Wolf, zwoot, treewee, giant-hawk, allo, sloth, ravvit, tuftear, no-hump, random bird with bizarre plumage...if you've seen it in the comics or heard it described in the short stories, it is fair game. (You can include elves/trolls/preservers if you like in the picture, but the focus should be about the critter.)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 10:52:46 AM by Foxeye »

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
Re: Challenge - Animals of Abode
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 01:00:25 PM »

I've actually drawn quite a few of these - I did wolf, zwoot, treewee (also animated), giant-hawk, no-hump and even an allo (if that is one of them dinosaur-like monsters). I'm uploading a few oldies as we speak, but for the challenge I'll draw a new one.

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 07:53:31 AM »

Was there ever a picture of a ravvit shown that wasn't basically just a rabbit?

Treefox

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:26:37 AM »

Oooh, another neat idea! I'm already having a couple of ideas, as usual, I'm not sure if I'll have time to draw.
Hm, not only ravvits, but also no-humps are basically just horses or ponies. aren't they?

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 11:12:01 AM »

Yes, but I think the point is just to draw animals, while elves are usually the subject of everyone's drawings here. :]

Once we set out to draw a list of all the animals that were living around the holts of Zonnemeer Borg and Zomerbron - we didn't want to scan pictures from books or google them, because of copyright issues. Everyone who wanted to could draw for the list, it was a lot of fun to see people drawing animals for a change, while all they did was elves before.

(If you want to check it out, the link still works - to see the pictures, click on the green underlined names of the animals, black ones don't have a picture yet.)

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 11:28:56 AM »

That's a cool idea, Afke.  And for a good reason.  (When we created big flora and fauna sections on RTH's wiki, I stuck to pictures that I was able to get from Wikimedia Commons, which are at least supposed to not have copyright issues.)

I like drawing animals -- wolves, and others as well.  :)  It's just that I've always preferred to draw real-world animals rather than Abode-esque animals.  Part of that is probably due to my own limitations as an artist.  I'd rather try to learn to draw animals by looking at pictures of real animals, rather than trying to draw animals that themselves are based on real animals, and then altered in some ways. 

I might like to try drawing one of the giant hawks, though.  In my non-fannish life I've recently become obsessed with hawk photography -- but even before that, I was always bugged, to be honest, by the giant-hawks in the comics, because I'm always cringing and thinking "wings don't look like that and they don't work that way".  Also to be honest, the giant-hawks never appealed to me because I never quite understood why it was necessary to stick a weird Klingon/conehead forehead ridge on them just to distinguish them as fantasy birds. *shrug*  It's just a design cue that didn't work for me.  But it would be interesting to give it a whirl.

Treefox

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:02:54 PM »

That's a brilliant collection of fauna!
I was just saying, while some animals are more "fantasy" in Elfquest, some are just alterations by name and, of course, simplified/stylized to a certain extent. As I haven't drawn many animals in Elfquest style except wolves, I'm really looking forward to that challenge! 

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 12:47:52 PM »

I can't wait to be able to post something for the challenge!... I can only curse my scanner for being dead at the moment!... I REALLY have the urge to draw something!... and I'm honored that my request got turned into a challenge!... I actually don't really know what some of the EQ animals look like, but I'll do my best!...

Afke, that sure is impressive amount of animals you've drawn!... I didn't know you have drawn so many animals!...

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 01:11:06 PM »

Berit, don't forget -- all of the EQ comics are now available to view online, at ElfQuest.com.  So you can always check out what some of the EQ animals looked like, especially the ones that were customized for the EQ world.

... Of course, the challenge can be remembering where to FIND those pictures, amongst all of the many pages (thousands?) of the comics!

I think there used to be a thread in the Scroll of Colors that collected pics from the comics to illustrate the various animals.  But if that thread can even be found, it might not be very much use. (Many threads suffered problems with all of their old links not working after the transfer to the new forum architecture.)

Maybe folks here could try to help recollect where some pics of certain animals could be found, though.

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 01:42:38 PM »

yeah, I thought that too, but for some reason I can't get the comics work well, I bet that's due to the fact that I wasn't able to install flash to this computer, so it really would be great if some people would be kind enough to collect few pictures as reference for others!... it would be useful now and later on!...
Pages: [1]   Go Up