Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Tools of the Trade] - Watercolor (was: Artists Question and Answer)  (Read 26726 times)

Startear

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: [Tools of the Trade] - Watercolor (was: Artists Question and Answer)
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »

Hm, does the cold and hot press also count for paper? I have some watercolor paper, and it is hot pressed. Only use it for watercolor, and to my shame, I only use watercolor to color chibi's. My brush is very small, I bought the smallest in the store. Too big area usually makes me end up with places where one can see my watercolor pencil lines, even when I go over them with my brush, very fustrating for me. :/
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 09:44:57 AM »

Hot and cold press does count for paper, too.  Illustration board is nothing but paper (usually bristol) backed with cardboard.  Hot press is smooth, in illustration boards it is VERY smooth like glass, and the colors tend to lay on the surface.  Cold press has "tooth" (in variable amounts depending on the brand) meaning it has a texture, and the colors tend to soak in.

Actual rag watercolor paper has both hot and cold press, but even the hot press will have a little texture because it is made for watercolor.  Hot press illustration board is not usually used for painting (although I know artists who do), but is primo for inking.  In my gallery you'll see my color work is all done on cold press, but the inked "Follow the Leader" is done on hot press.  That extreme crispness of line is due to hot press not allowing the ink to bleed at all.

I can't help you with watercolor pencils, since I've only ever used tubed watercolor, but I will say that it is a common thing for artists who are just starting out learning to use tiny brushes.  At the university, the art teachers were always trying to get students to use bigger brushes.  A good brush will have a precise point no matter what the size of the "belly," but the "belly" is where all the paint is held.  Too small a brush and you have to recharge it too often, leading to choppy strokes instead of smooth.

I don't use anything smaller than a 4 and mostly a 6, even though I rarely work larger than 12 by 15 inches.  But I will admit that I am totally spoiled by using only pure sable brushes.  Expensive, yes, but SOOOO worth it.  Precise points even in the huge sizes and they hold more paint for their size than synthetics.  But don't EVER "scrub" with them!  You don't want to wear off the points!

Startear

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 04:27:42 PM »

Heh, my brush is size 2. Before getting watercolor pencils, I had watched a tutorial online whom made a point of that small brushes was the way to go, one had better control then.  :-\ The seller in the artstore told me that the paper he sold me was the best for pencils. Huh.

However, I do like the paper. I did notice that my inking stood more out on this paper before hearing about this.
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up