Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Poll

Will you keep using elfquestfanart.com now that elfquest.com has a gallery feature?

I probably will use elfquest.com now
- 1 (7.1%)
I prefer this site to host my images
- 7 (50%)
I want to use both!
- 4 (28.6%)
I'm not sure
- 2 (14.3%)
I won't host my art either place, but I still like to hang out here.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is EQFA redundant now?  (Read 20485 times)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
Re: Is EQFA redundant now?
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 02:49:18 PM »

I don't think you need to delete anything, but they are your posts, not mine, so whatever you are comfortable with. :) I know it's always awkward having an opinion on the internet, when we can't use facial expression or body language or tone of voice.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:56:25 PM by Foxeye »

Faerydae

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • ElfWitch.com
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »

Yeah I dunno ...guess I'll have to ponder that.

BTW I made you and sgaana admins in the FanArt group and set down some rules - that way at least there are those of us that can monitor that area and police it effectively.

If you don't want to a be an admin let me know and I can remove ya - just figured you guys would be ideal and you were members lol.
~Faerydae

(also known as Rainy)

dreamweaver

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
    • Made by Meristide on Facebook
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 05:26:42 AM »

Personally I hope that this site stays up as I cannot get on elfquest dot com while I am on my cell phone and I am frustrated with that and I want a place to come while I am at work and post and talk to everyone! :D
Shade and Sweet Water

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 10:40:11 AM »

Huh, this site works on your cell phone?!  Guess it's just my blackberry that it doesn't like. :( What phone do you use?

dreamweaver

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
    • Made by Meristide on Facebook
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 07:58:43 AM »

I use the LG Vu and I have At&T... I see it as a mobile site... wonder why it doesn't work for you
Shade and Sweet Water

Mirror

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 04:08:33 PM »

Aaaah!

What's this I hear? EQFA "redundant"? No no no!

I hardly ever have the time to draw or post anything these days (alas) , but I'm always lurking around here. Not just because I find this site much better organized than the official EQ-site , but also because I think it's a huge advantage to have a site first and foremost dedicated to ART. You get much better, more constructive feedback here than on EQ.com, and I don't think that's going to change with the new "gallery"- function over at EQ.com.

I dunno,  might open a gallery over there too eventually, but I'll definately continue posting here anyway  :)

Treefox

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 05:01:46 AM »

I also wish very much for this site to stay (even though I might not be a very active member here, I still enjoy this place)! Even though I feel bad about my first comment about the new EQ site was harsh, I just can't seem to get used to it. I guess I'll just stay out of the SoC and spend more time here. I'm not against progress or change in general, but I'm personally just no fan of overly used flash functions and I must admit I HATE the sound on the new site! If I was visiting it for the first time, I'd never come back. But that's just me. And I'll stay faithful to EQ whether I like the site and take part in Social Network or not. Also, it's probably a real good thing if it attracts new members/readers, considering how successful Facebook is.
What I want to say is: please keep this place!

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 07:48:56 AM »

No no no no no. Please don't close this site. I don't think I'll use the new site much, and I always liked this place, both Amanda's version and yours ^^

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 08:05:53 AM »

but I'm personally just no fan of overly used flash functions and I must admit I HATE the sound on the new site! If I was visiting it for the first time, I'd never come back. But that's just me.

No, definitely not just you!  :P

Wildfire

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 10:32:12 AM »

No, definitely not just you!  :P
Me neither..

Mirr

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
    • http://miravisu.net
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »

Okay, finally got things working over there.. but honestly.  We already had some people who mostly hung out here because it was too complicated and big over at the Scroll.  Well, that's going to be ten times worse now!

I am not sure I like having an EQ version of Facebook.  The whole "friends" thing and being able to comment and vote on everything and anything.  That's why I have avoided Facebook to start with!  And visually, I like the friendly "feel" of the old Scroll forums - like this one for that matter.

We'll see.

Oh, and the photo gallery there is way less organized than here.

Ohyes, the first idea that struck me.. is that elfquest had turned into facebook when I saw the new look and content of elfquest.com :( I liked things the way they were with elfquest, cosy and not overly complicated. The only thing were the occasional server snags, and this kind of new content isn't really going to help..  The new social features feel too much to me.Those neat little icons for each section etc were so charming, I very much liked the old menu.

And EQFA's focus was always the fanart and the fiction, which is it best suited and well structured for (especially in this incarnation)!

So EQFA better not go anywhere! *spanks and clings to Foxeye* ;)

Paper Ghost

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 04:48:21 PM »

Well, I hope this place isn't redundant seeing how I only just got here!  ;) I'll put my hand up and say I'm struggling with the new look Scroll too, to the point I'm hardly bothering with it. I don't understand all the techy stuff but it's too slow and too difficult and half the old posts are full of code. And I'm no fan of FB either...I have an account but barely use it. And since I mostly frequented just the fan art and fiction forum...well I may as well just make myself comfortable here.

If no one minds, I'll open myself a gallery later (can new members do that?) and start uploading my stuff...might take a while though.  ;)

(was Stargazer on the Scroll)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 05:08:32 PM »

Howdy "She-who-I-knew-as-Stargazer"!  So glad you finally joined us here. ^_^ New members can create galleries as soon as they join, there's no waiting period or such. This thread gives you a quick-n-dirty how-to:

http://www.elfquestfanart.com/index.php?topic=56.0

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2010, 06:41:30 PM »

Thanks everyone for posting! It does look like, for the time being anyhow, that there is still a strong group that wants to use this place, so we'll happily keep the lights on. :D  With any luck I can devote some hours this weekend to working on the migration to a version of the gallery software that I have hopes will be less buggy.   Should be the last one for a while.

We're also still ruminating about the notion of getting away from our current webhosting provider, and co-locating all our sites on our own server equipment.  That will be a bigger project, though. 

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 01:36:55 AM »

Take you time. We'll be there. ;]

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 11:25:27 AM »

Yep, any support you need just ask.

I have held off posting in the suggestions area about the gallery at the Scroll - except for that fiasco about members posting other people's art.  Which is still going on in spite of Richard's policy making.

I am torn.  I really don't want to see it competing with what we've got here, but Richard did email me when we were working on the calendar, saying he wanted something set up that would be like a mini DeviantArt for EQ fans.  What he's got obviously isn't that, but it is probably just the default that the platform came with.  But if I list what about DA's format makes it workable, it will pretty much be what Foxeye has made for us here.

A dilemma...

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 11:45:46 AM »

Can't we co-exist side by side perhaps? I mean the EQ.com site has the huge forum about everything EQ while we mostly chat about art and our own pictures and stories here (so we wouldn't really take the spotlight of the official forum), and we have this wonderfull gallery setup. I can't believe how much effort Richard is putting in the online community as he does, it's so much work and I applaud him for it 'cause it's so awesome of him. But we could concider taking some weight of his back by being the main host for a gallery, since it's already very good as it is, so he can worry about other stuff.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:47:18 AM by afke »

Icemoon

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 12:24:59 PM »

to be honest: I love the two places.
I won't abondon here !
dreams, moon, night, snow, ice, colors ...

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 12:46:09 PM »

Yep, any support you need just ask.

I have held off posting in the suggestions area about the gallery at the Scroll - except for that fiasco about members posting other people's art.  Which is still going on in spite of Richard's policy making.

To be honest, I'm not sure that the policy post is going to help all that much, unless it is put right on the page where people go to upload art.  That's the only way to be SURE that everyone who's uploading art sees it.  Right now, given where it's located, someone has to go into the forums and go into that particular area just to see it, and... given the goals of the site redesign, to attract more and different fans, there may be fans who join who just aren't yet interested in discussion forums; they just want to post pictures according to the standards of the communities from which they've come.  (Which aren't the standards EQ.com wants; but it has to acknowledge that people will have formed their habits elsewhere, under different standards.)

I wonder where the best place to suggest trying to put the "what is and isn't allowed here" wording on that upload page would be?

(But then... I'd also want to suggest a clearer, simpler re-wording to Richard, than what he posted in that forum thread.)

I am torn.  I really don't want to see it competing with what we've got here, but Richard did email me when we were working on the calendar, saying he wanted something set up that would be like a mini DeviantArt for EQ fans.  What he's got obviously isn't that, but it is probably just the default that the platform came with.  But if I list what about DA's format makes it workable, it will pretty much be what Foxeye has made for us here.

A dilemma...

Hmm.  It really is.  Because... that Gallery as it stands is so far from "a mini-dA for EQ that the mind, it is boggled.  (Not to blame them; as you say, that's probably what it looks like out of the box.  But the fact remains, as it stands now, it's not what they want.)

I'll say this, though... I don't know, maybe I speak only for myself, but I have no problem posting my stuff in multiple places, because for me, there's a reason to be in each community. 

As it was -- I was posting my stuff (sometimes a slightly different selection of it) in my personal art-thread at SoC, at dA, and at the old EQFA before it went away (and at the new EQFA now).

If a better gallery feature at EQ.com gave me a reason to post there, I probably would; and it wouldn't make me want to stop posting here, if by posting here I'm interacting with this slightly-different community. 

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2010, 01:30:44 PM »

I agree with you, Sgaana.  If I were to send my suggestion list to Richard, the first thing would be to have the policy right there in your face as soon as you went to the gallery and also on the "upload image" page.  There are a couple of nice guides on DA about how to label art when you've borrowed poses, dolls, etc. that would be helpful to include somewhere, too, though not necessarily so prominently.

Second thing would be to appoint a couple draconian gallery moderators that would enforce the kind of no-tolerance policy towards stealing that DA has.  Making art thieves site pariahs is the only way artists feel comfortable to share.  These moderators would have to be people familiar with EQ fan art (like Foxeye or I) not just site admins.

Only thirdly would I get into the format.  Pretty much what we've got here is what all art sites have just with more or less bells and whistles.  It is what works.  ONLY one gallery per individual user (with sub galleries) alphabetized and thumbnailed, keywords and searches, comment and crit areas, etc.  you all know what we like.  ;-)

The only thing I'd add that is different from most art sites is one, maybe two, general use galleries.  One gallery where any user can upload scans of official EQ art (ONLY), so it can be linked to discussions in the forums.  Just by uploading to that gallery, users are admitting it is not their art.  The second general gallery could be a more Facebook type of thing where people can just plaster up whatever they find interesting.  Though I would suggest that the second gallery would have photos deleated after they've been up a certain length of time.

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2010, 01:52:37 PM »

*nods*  Or, like here -- everybody gets one super-gallery, in which you may creates sub-galleries yourself, or not, as you like.  That would enable some folks to have a gallery they used for personal photos, or to have a gallery that had subfolders for fan-art and one for personal photos, if they wanted.

But man, SOME kind of organization is needed!

I also like your idea of a gallery only for canon EQ art to which anyone could post.

And yes, to your idea of particular gallery moderators to wield the big stick, not putting that on the site admins.  (Perhaps also moderating that general-use gallery to keep many multiple copies of the same thing from being posted.)

But... I get the feeling we're a long way from that.  Because first, you'd have to have the conversation about what is wanted, in the first place...  Then it'd have to be developed.

(This is, to be honest, something that has nonplussed me about the EQ site redesign from the start -- at least from the perspective of the regular users, there doesn't *seem* to have been a lot of attempt beforehand to find out how people were using various things, or what they wanted.  Like, "how are folks really using the DEQ? What do they need from the interface?"  And, "if we want folks to use the site's gallery like a mini-dA, let's get feedback from the potential users".  I don't know, maybe that's to come...)

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2010, 02:51:21 PM »

*nods*  Or, like here -- everybody gets one super-gallery, in which you may creates sub-galleries yourself, or not, as you like.  That would enable some folks to have a gallery they used for personal photos, or to have a gallery that had subfolders for fan-art and one for personal photos, if they wanted.

Yes, that is actually what I meant.  All users get only one super-gallery each (so it can be keep organized), which they can divide into sub galleries however they want, art, photos, whatever as long as it is theirs and not stolen.  

The "photo" gallery I was suggesting could be a general-use gallery to fulfill the Facebook crowd who like to post anything and everything they find interesting.  Anyone could post just about anything (tasteful) there, but it would cycle out and be deleted in a week or so (so there is no long term copyright issues).  I certainly wouldn't like to post things there but there seems to be a group that does, judging from the stuff already in the main (non-album) gallery.

But man, SOME kind of organization is needed!

LOL  I know!  I don't use Facebook, so I have to ask: Are Facebook albums really that unorganized?  I suppose if it was your own page it wouldn't be so bad, but for a large group how does anyone find anything?

I also like your idea of a gallery only for canon EQ art to which anyone could post.

To me, they have to have this.  Just look at how much Wendy art got uploaded right off the bat!  Its been happening for years in the threads of the Scroll, but putting it in a gallery where it is clearly labeled that this is official art is the only honest way to do this.

But... I get the feeling we're a long way from that.  Because first, you'd have to have the conversation about what is wanted, in the first place...  Then it'd have to be developed.

I think Richard is willing to have this conversation, since he did mention his desires for the gallery to me.  I just don't know if I should talk to you guys here and then send him our ideas privately, or post in the suggestions box and make it a more public thing.  I think it might be a little embarrassing for Richard for me to publicly say that he wanted a mini-DA when it is so far from that right now, but what you say about getting the potential users input is valid.  Of course, here we specialize in the fan artists' input, but there will likely be many non-artists using the galleries there.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 02:30:50 PM by Windrider »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up