Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Poll

Will you keep using elfquestfanart.com now that elfquest.com has a gallery feature?

I probably will use elfquest.com now
- 1 (7.1%)
I prefer this site to host my images
- 7 (50%)
I want to use both!
- 4 (28.6%)
I'm not sure
- 2 (14.3%)
I won't host my art either place, but I still like to hang out here.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is EQFA redundant now?  (Read 20483 times)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
Is EQFA redundant now?
« on: January 12, 2010, 10:55:30 AM »

The new elfquest.com comes with gallery functionality as part of the social networking features, and it includes some functionality that I probably won't be able to implement, such as selecting favorites.  I haven't looked at it beyond a cursory glance, but it does open the question of whether there is a need for a separate fan art site now that there is an official place to upload images.

I'm mostly going to take a "wait and see" approach, and get a feel of whether this site loses steam, but I'm curious to know how people feel about it.

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: Is EQFA redundant now?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:02:13 AM »

I also feel kind of "wait and see" about this.  It's going to take a bit to figure out how the new EQ site is going to work, and see whether its new features replace other old ways of doing things.

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 11:49:16 AM »

Well, so far this site isn't redundant for me - I can't find a darn thing or navigate easily on the new site, but it may be because a lot of it won't load for me.  :ugh:

Is the new calendar up at all yet?  I couldn't find it or the old ones.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:16:22 PM by Windrider »

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 11:59:01 AM »

I haven't been able to find the calendar using the site navigation, but the old links to them still work: http://www.elfquest.com/fan/fancalendar2009.html

Unfortunately there is some clipping ,so I suspect they are planning to do some editing of those pages. Cool thing is, when you click on a calendar image, it now uses a previous/next button to switch between months. :)

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:37:28 PM »

Okay, finally got things working over there.. but honestly.  We already had some people who mostly hung out here because it was too complicated and big over at the Scroll.  Well, that's going to be ten times worse now!

I am not sure I like having an EQ version of Facebook.  The whole "friends" thing and being able to comment and vote on everything and anything.  That's why I have avoided Facebook to start with!  And visually, I like the friendly "feel" of the old Scroll forums - like this one for that matter.

We'll see.  I am sure there is going to be lots of de-bugging and modifying in the next month.

Oh, and the photo gallery there is way less organized than here.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:17:45 PM by Windrider »

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 12:45:36 PM »

To be honest, Windrider -- when I got that email that seemed to suggest EQ.com was going to become  *more* like Facebook?  I shuddered.  I don't use Facebook.  I don't like it.  EQ becoming *more* like that will, frankly, make me want to use it less.

Yeah, yeah, pass me a rocking chair and a cane that I can shake in a vigorous and disapproving manner.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 12:48:51 PM »

Haha, I'll take one too. I'll give it a fair shot, but I'm actually one of those who cancelled their Facebook account after giving it a try.  Maybe I'll like it better in a smaller community.

Tried the gallery a bit...it does have a maturity option, which is one thing I was worried about, so that's good. 

Joyrider1978

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 03:58:29 PM »

I can't figure out how to work almost any portion of the new site... granted I haven't yet gotten to devote much time to it.  Sure, it's shiny and pretty, but as far as I can tell extremely confusing.  I am perplexed.  But I vote for keeping this fantabulous site here going!  I'm one of those who think the Scroll is too crowded and difficult to keep up with, I prefer the smaller community here.  And yes, the gallery oragnization is 500 times better here!!

Joyrider1978

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 04:08:22 PM »

...okay I just tried to play around on it again and it frustrated me within 30 seconds.  I might just give up.  At least until they streamline it.

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 05:42:54 PM »

*headdesk*  Okay, wow... I've logged in, but... aargh.

I don't really want to bitch about the new site in any official venue, because... well, I'm sure there's still plenty of things to streamline and all, and some of it may just be a matter of getting used to a new thing, but, may I just say...

* automatically-playing sounds?  are the TOOL OF THE DEVIL for websites.  AARGH.  (Look, the wolf howl --- that I can't apparently turn off any faster than I can hit the "skip intro" button -- is nice the first time, but every time I visit the site?  The fluttery noise and giggle that Petalwing makes on the main page is only slightly less obnoxious.)  It's a bad idea overall, IMO, for EQ.com to now be a site that I can't send people to without warning them "caution! plays sounds that you can't turn off!"

* the flash viewer for the online comics?  AARGH.  Why?  Because you CAN'T SKIP PAGES.  Skipping pages in the old version of the site wasn't easy, either -- but at least you could go up to the URL address bar and manually type in "20" if you wanted to skip to page 20.  Now, you can't even do that.  Want to peek at the middle or end of any issue of the comics?  You've got to hit the "forward" button a jillion times.  This only gets worse in some of the collected storylines -- Dreamtime in color, for example, which puts all of the DT issues into a single file.  Want to peek at something in the sixth issue of that storyline?  Prepare to have your clicking finger fall off...

* am bummed that the avatar pic in the SoC threads displays so frickin' TINY.  I pretty much can't use the avatar I've been using all along, because it doesn't read at that size.  (Maybe this is something that can be fixed if people ask for it?  Just like in the old version of SoC, the avatar display size in the threads was eventually set larger?)

* oh dear... well, my art thread in the Fanart and Fanfic section of the Forum appears to be pretty messed up... that's disheartening.  A lot of the images I originally posted are now broken and look like they'd have to be redone manually.  Other images are only displayed partially and I don't even know how to try to fix that.  And at 22 pages' worth of thread... the desire to go through it and fix everything manually is practically nonexistent.

* boy, you guys aren't kidding.  That gallery set-up is terrible.  I think I could change my vote above to "Yes, I will still use EQFA!" because ugh, I see very little about that gallery set-up that appeals to me...

Man.   :(  I was really looking forward to the big EQ redesign, too!  And now... honestly, it's not just things that are different that I'd have to get used to, it's that there's a bunch of stuff that's either "broken", or in fact worse than the old site (for me, in terms of ease of use).  That's really bumming me out.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:46:36 PM by sgaana »

Afke

• Tuftear
  • Optimist
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 01:51:47 AM »

I haven't checked the new site yet, but I've always felt pretty lost there (at the forum) before. There's just too much. I've always preferred smaller clubs like this, where I feel more at my place. I don't want to live in a city either because there's too many people around, haha! So before reading your comments and checking the site I already voted for this site, because I love it here.

Faerydae

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • ElfWitch.com
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 04:38:06 AM »

Yeah I don't think they had ummmm a realistic appraisal of what phpfox would do or what it would mean if it wasn't done right. I kinda tried to warn them but ah ... I don't think it was heard.

Phpfox is a notoriously buggy platform and that company provides almost NO support at all.

I was trying to stay positive .... thinking well, when someone really knows what they are doing, they can make phpfox behave... but ah ... whoever is doing their site has already goofed in the most basic of ways (like testing it as a member on EVERY level from every server to make SURE it's working right before you make it live), so now i think they are practically total beginners and haven't done much of that kind of thing at all. I do not know why they didn't keep the forum the same - they could have integrated the phpbb forum right into it - and the older posts would be displaying correctly and the forum would be much more familiar to everyone, and all the same features would be there - why they wanted to dumb DOWN the forum I don't know.

I sort of wish they hadn't tried to keep it so hush hush - because it is always so much harder to fix stuff once it's done, that sort of thing should be decided about long before you mess with any data, where you go over all the options and all the pros and cons for what they want to happen. if they still want it well then at least they were warned. Maybe they didn't even know you could integrate phpbb into it, maybe they thought they way they did it was the only way it could be done. :(

There are way better platforms to use - especially if you aren't used to doing that sort of thing.

Overusing flash is always a bad idea too - its a resource hog as well, imagine 300 or a 1000 people trying to read the comics all at once with the flash player, it will bring down the site in no time, and it doesn't look like anyone even WARNED them about any of that - which I find just sad, because its so basic.

If they are using the flash players for the comics to prevent people copying them - well you can't stop a screenshot and all it will do is create a high server load, piss off the people you want to read it and folks will STILL copy it anyway. The way they were was actually the BEST way to present them - even if it was old school. Sometimes the old way of doing things is really the BEST way - even if it isn't all bright and shiny. Sometimes bright and shiny is pure crap and folks will sell you that because you don't know enough to not buy it, if you know what I mean.

My advice is to give them time. Obviously no one counseled them about why doing some of the changes they did were not the best ideas in the world probably whoever is doing it for them didn't know enough to know why it is a bad bad bad idea, and sometimes folks just have to try things to learn those lessons for themselves before they back track and go in a better direction.

I am sure that they will find out what many of us already know and will make the best decisions - right now they are likely having so many fires that they can't even see straight I bet!!

And ah - I will always prefer this site for fan art! I just created the fan art group on there because it seemed there should be one - but I think this one is better suited for serious artists!
~Faerydae

(also known as Rainy)

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »

I definitely have to agree with some of your points, Faerydae. 

My perception (at the moment) of the progression of the site update is that WaRP realized that the old site was very out-of-date looking, so of course, they wanted something that looks contemporary and professional.  Great!  But I'm also perceiving the idea that they've decided that the Wave of the Future is places like Facebook and MySpace and Twitter, and they want to capture the attention of users who are attracted to those places... without considering whether the people who already used EQ.com or SoC felt the same way.

Maybe that's just the way of things.  After all -- the regular users of SoC are users they already had and whose loyalty could be counted on to a certain extent.  It's fairly likely that a good percentage of them will swallow their frustrations and work to adapt to the new format.  So what the change in format does is make it possible to attract *new* users whose willingness to check out and become a part of a site really *is* dependent on it being in that New Shiny format. 

I also can't really argue with the fact that Facebook is ridiculously popular, and it seems to have some staying power.  Just because *I* hate it, that's immaterial. Millions of people use it, and therefore must like it; and by making EQ.com/SoC more like Facebook, I can see how the likelihood is that they'll appeal to that market, and that's what they want, to expand the EQ market. 

With reference to one of Richard's latest posts in the discussion about the new site... I really do have to wonder how many users of SoC truly wanted it to become MORE like Facebook.  The fact that "some" people said that they wanted more Facebook-like features doesn't mean that's what the user-base overall wanted.  There wasn't really any wide survey of SoC users on that point, was there?  I don't recall getting to weigh in on it. 

Or, as you say, on anything.  It was all kept very hush-hush.  And the other disadvantage of doing a site redesign that way, as we're seeing now, is that any complaints that any users have about new features is met with some defensiveness.  Which is only natural!  They put a LOT of work into the redesign, and obviously, they chose things for it that they wanted.  It's hard to unveil something like that, and have your users grumble about it.  I would also acknowledge that it's true that you can't please everyone.  Even if the process had been open, and there'd been a bunch of surveys of users of the old site/forum, they'd still wind up disappointing some people.

But still... I get the feeling that in some ways, it may not help them "hear" what are valid user complaints, because the attitude now seems to be "you just dislike it because it's new, come back in 6 months after you're used to it and tell us then what you like/dislike".  (Or, "suck it up" -- such as the latest post about the non-turn-off-able sounds.  Really?  The answer is "we think it's cute, and why do you need to use the page those sounds are on, anyway, if you don't like them"?  That's the answer?  Oh dear.)

Maybe it seemed like too chaotic an idea to survey the user-base beforehand.  But, as you point out, once the whole redesign is DONE, there's a lot more reluctance to listen to user opinions or to change some things that aren't easily changeable.

I have no doubt that they're listening to some degree, trying to fix some things, and that they're flexible on some things.  But we're already seeing that in other fundamental matters, they're not.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 11:45:01 AM »

One small concern...I've started to see people uploading other people's fan art to their own gallery (three Windrider pics so far).  I've started the habit of using the "report" feature, but if other people see this, please use the report feature. I don't imagine that Richard has the bandwidth to police all album additions, so the report feature is the only way to help his team protect artists.

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 12:13:04 PM »

I just noticed that too, Foxeye!  And I wondered immediately what the deal was...  I noticed yesterday that someone was uploading a ton of EQ canon art to an album (Ryan Rhoades is doing it, so did Jay Baldridge), as well as mixing up EQ fan calendar stuff with EQ Wendy art.

It kind of looks to me like one problem with the whole Gallery feature there is... is there any expression of a "community standard"?  I don't see anywhere (connected with the Gallery) that tries to communicate rules or best practices, that would tell folks "this isn't your Flickr account where you can upload stuff that you personally like"...

... Or indeed, the discussion hasn't been had, about what the Gallery is *for*.  Maybe the consensus will be that it *is* for that.  I guess we're assuming that the Gallery there would operate more like the galleries here, or like our personal art-threads in the forum.  But that's an assumption.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »

Oh good! ---> Richard posted

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 12:55:07 PM »

Yeah, that's definitely good.

I do wonder if some of the folks who will choose to use the Gallery feature will ever look at the Fanart and Fanfic section of the Forums -- they're two separate entities.  But at least that post being there gives people something to point out to people who violate the rule.  (I don't know where else it could be posted that would be more prominent, really.  Unless there were some way to alter the Gallery upload page to just include a warning about it.)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 12:59:40 PM »

Aye, as you say, at least we can link to it. And more importantly, there's a good chance that using the "report" feature will see results from the staff.

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 01:22:33 PM »

That gallery is going to be hard to police, as Foxeye said, as unorganized as it is.  But at least we can report violations of a policy that is stated clearly.

But in the process of dealing with unwanted uploadings, I found I couldn't message anyone there that I hadn't "friended."  I don't want to post this complaint there because everyone is complaining about all kinds of things and I don't want to add to the whine fest.  Those of you more familiar with this format - is there some way around that?

I mean, so far I have one friend (Foxeye) and a whole bunch of email friend requests from people I don't know!  Ugh!  I don't want to have to friend the entire forum just to contact people or have them contact me about calendar art and poetry!

Or I just post there that the calendar contest is held HERE!  LOL  No Foxeye, this site is NOT redundant!  Is it just me or have you noticed an increase in visitors here since the new Scroll went up?

I like the galleries here.  Easy to find the artist and/or subject you are looking for.  I know Faeridae is going to be  before Foxeye and as Windrider, I am near the end of the list.  If you are going to have a library of art, it needs to be alphabetized!  If you ever figure out some similar easy format for the writers, I think you are going to get a huge influx here.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »

But in the process of dealing with unwanted uploadings, I found I couldn't message anyone there that I hadn't "friended."  I don't want to post this complaint there because everyone is complaining about all kinds of things and I don't want to add to the whine fest.  Those of you more familiar with this format - is there some way around that?

Not that I've found. :( I hope it's just a switch they can toggle in the admin controls.

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 01:52:22 PM »

The "can't message anyone whom you haven't friended" thing is... disconcerting.  It feels like a step backward, since in this type of forum, you can send a message to any other member.   I wonder what the design-reason is behind that?  (Maybe it's another of the somewhat Facebooky features, and it's a design that makes sense for a very big Facebook venue?)

The fact that the galleries are in creation-order does bug me, as does the fact that it only displays 8 per page.   I wonder if that is something that can be tweaked, if suggested?  (I.e. whether it's possible to add a gallery sorting feature, or see more per page.)

As for the whining -- I don't know.  I don't even like to see it characterized as such, because that automatically devalues and casts as unreasonable any complaint that anyone might make.  I think that in a situation like this, where a lot of big and, let's face it, somewhat confusing changes have been made, that it's only natural that some folks are going to cope by wanting to blow off steam or share their anxieties.  That doesn't even mean that the same people won't get used to the site, with time.  For some, it's just a coping mechanism.  

Maybe the thing to do would have been to create a "kvetch here" thread where folks could do that, without having to add to Richard's stress by making it seem like everyone is trying to nitpick the new site to death... and then have a different thread dedicated to questions and requests.  Ah well, too late for that now.

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 02:11:35 PM »

I know, Sgaana, not everything there is "whining" but there is enough of it that it interferes with identifying the true bugs and complaints.  Trust me, I know whining - I teach college students!

Once the dust settles a bit, we can make legitimate suggestions such as ways to make the gallery and messaging better and not have them overlooked in the mad dash to fix more pressing concerns.  Sure makes you appreciate Foxeye and how quickly she responded to suggestions when this site was new!

On a more enjoyable topic... Foxeye, what do you say about making the calendar gallery public on the original schedule, independent of whether Richard gets it up on the website?  We have no way of knowing when the calendar will be posted and it seems a shame to keep hiding the submissions - it could be March for all we know if Richard has to keep putting out fires over there.  If the calendar had been posted on Jan 1st, the submission gallery would be opened on this Friday.

Faerydae

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • ElfWitch.com
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 02:29:07 PM »

I definitely have to agree with some of your points, Faerydae. 

My perception (at the moment) of the progression of the site update is that WaRP realized that the old site was very out-of-date looking, so of course, they wanted something that looks contemporary and professional.  Great!  But I'm also perceiving the idea that they've decided that the Wave of the Future is places like Facebook and MySpace and Twitter, and they want to capture the attention of users who are attracted to those places... without considering whether the people who already used EQ.com or SoC felt the same way.

Yeah it struck me as a very "knee jerk" reaction to suddenly realizing how out of date it was - sad thing was, the forum was VERY current - that was the main part that didn't actually NEED to be changed, but really just embedded into a CMS or community platform.

I don't like Facebook really either - but it's been helpful for my sales and exposure of my artwork - so it, like Twitter, has resulted in helping me successfully market and sell my work. So i've been forcing myself to like it to some small extent.

It's nice for staying in contact with our families though - Rays family is all in Ohio, I've never met them and facebook is allowing us to get to know each other for the first time in 11 years - and allowing me to reconnect with other parts of y family that I'd fallen out of touch with. But see I have a few accounts on Facebook - one for my art and my art buddies and one for my family and close friends, as I technically have two last names.

I don't think that they really have had much experience with online stuff - especially marketing in terms of profit - duide they could be making SOOOO much more money - I'd always just figured they *chose* not to, but I'm starting to realize that no ... I think maybe they just don't know.

Maybe that's just the way of things.  After all -- the regular users of SoC are users they already had and whose loyalty could be counted on to a certain extent.  It's fairly likely that a good percentage of them will swallow their frustrations and work to adapt to the new format.  So what the change in format does is make it possible to attract *new* users whose willingness to check out and become a part of a site really *is* dependent on it being in that New Shiny format. 

That *only* works if the site is FAST! LOL! NO one - me included - has patience for a site that takes 5 minutes to load each page - sorry it can be as nifty as all hell - but if it drags - people *will* stop trying and go elsewhere.

Sites should *always* consider speed of page generation a TOP priority - if it is annoying or takes too long to load - then they will not bother, period. In fact IMO, the priority list should go something like security, speed of page generation/load times, ease of navigation, screen resolution (yeah it's that low on my list lol), then content, THEN the features. The bells and whistles should ALWAYS be last in my book - they are just the shiny pretty baubles, but without the rest you have a pretty shiny bauble no one else will ever bother to look at, so in the end, what good is it?

A GOOD website developer will force their client to at least HEAR that logic, even if they know they will reject it, they say it anyway, hehe! The client might still decide "they know best" when in fact they do not, but at least then you *tried* lol. That's when you mutter under your breath while smiling and go and do the work *knowing* it is a complete waste of time and effort because you will either have to do over (usually the way you suggested to begin with) or go chasing down another goofy flipping idea that you can't talk them out of. Sometimes they just HAVE to learn the hard way as painful as it is to sit by and watch. And it is ever so painful, it really is.

The bad website developer never counsels the client at all, either because THEY don't have a flipping clue themselves, they just got a server with a control panel and knew enough to hobble a site together lol, or they know they are out of their depth and just don't care, and all the gray areas between those two extremes.

I also can't really argue with the fact that Facebook is ridiculously popular, and it seems to have some staying power.  Just because *I* hate it, that's immaterial. Millions of people use it, and therefore must like it; and by making EQ.com/SoC more like Facebook, I can see how the likelihood is that they'll appeal to that market, and that's what they want, to expand the EQ market. 

It's just plain good marketing. It really is. But marketing is ALWAYS slimy to some degree or another LOL! ;)

With reference to one of Richard's latest posts in the discussion about the new site... I really do have to wonder how many users of SoC truly wanted it to become MORE like Facebook.  The fact that "some" people said that they wanted more Facebook-like features doesn't mean that's what the user-base overall wanted.  There wasn't really any wide survey of SoC users on that point, was there?  I don't recall getting to weigh in on it. 

Off hand my guess is very very few wanted it to be more like FB. You can have FB features up the yen-yang without it being *like* FB - just need to know what is out there and then choose the best option that will do all the fun things you want while not mucking with the cardinal rules of security, speed, intuitive/ease of navigation, ability to organize and display the content. Prob is, folks often don;t know what they want will actually not help them or even hinder their goals.

Like my friend who when she wanted to start a business - felt that she HAD to start her business name with the letter A so it would show up FIRST in the phone book (not really the best marketing tool anymore lol) AND online. It literally took me TWO years to get it through her head that online marketing does NOT depend on alphabetizing everything. And that choosing a loopy name just because it starts with an A when it has nothing at all to do with her business or relate to her business at all is simply counter-productive and rather pointless as well as being a total waste of money. lol

Or, as you say, on anything.  It was all kept very hush-hush.  And the other disadvantage of doing a site redesign that way, as we're seeing now, is that any complaints that any users have about new features is met with some defensiveness.  Which is only natural!  They put a LOT of work into the redesign, and obviously, they chose things for it that they wanted.  It's hard to unveil something like that, and have your users grumble about it.  I would also acknowledge that it's true that you can't please everyone.  Even if the process had been open, and there'd been a bunch of surveys of users of the old site/forum, they'd still wind up disappointing some people.

Yeahhhhh my guess is it is just more like old-school mentality and not the mentality that is used to dealing with a dynamic and interactive site and members that are USED to playing on such sites. That and I got the impression that they aren't used to the general masses being involved in site stuff to THAT level when they weren't themselves. I've been building interactive community sites with php since like 2002. It's sort of my *job* to stay on top of the latest site stuff because I do host sites, and I do have clients I need to please and serve and then provide support for.

So I dunno, I guess I'm used to it - I mean I'd asked him how many times what platform they were gong to use? He didn't even reply to one. Not even to just say - sorry but even that I am not wishing to reveal at this time, LOL! I even asked him in PM - because I was thinking if they are headed towards a bad wall maybe I can help by pointing out other options that are better suited and way more stable. But well, we weren't really given a chance and well that's cool too, it is what it is. ::shrug:: It's too late to change now lol, and it is my experience that says when someone allows themselves to get THIS deeply committed it will likely take them months or even YEARS of slamming their heads against the walls to finally admit defeat and just use what is truly best for them to use. Yes, they will rationalize it with all sorts of things, they will work it out eventually.

If it was ME and they were still dead set on using phpfox (which I mean come on once you slap down 300 bucks for a license on something like that you tend to hate to admit you are flushing it down the drain and so well stay on the ride until it's obvious the ride is a bad bad ride LOL) I would at least say okay well then lock the site down completely - install a temp forum for them to amuse themselves on while we do the work while telling them that every bit of info in that temp forum will be deleted. Then I'd take the remaining old database from the old forums, make a copy (cuz I never screw with the originals) and then do all the steps needed to update the phpbb to phpfox and integrate that forum with all the familiarity right into it. Then make sure all is working well and as it should before releasing it live. That includes deciding what to do with all the loose ends. And I'd do that NOW before the new forum acquired much more data so it would be easier to kill file that mess LOL! How the old posts look is horrible. Would have been better to archive the board itself and just start over on the site and lock down the forum so you can read it but not edit or post on it.

But that's just me - doesn't mean I am right or that it's the best way  ... by any means LOL!

But still... I get the feeling that in some ways, it may not help them "hear" what are valid user complaints, because the attitude now seems to be "you just dislike it because it's new, come back in 6 months after you're used to it and tell us then what you like/dislike".  (Or, "suck it up" -- such as the latest post about the non-turn-off-able sounds.  Really?  The answer is "we think it's cute, and why do you need to use the page those sounds are on, anyway, if you don't like them"?  That's the answer?  Oh dear.)

See I just think that they do not really *know* how the average user was accessing their site or the ways they were finding the areas of their site or even what worked and what didn't. They fixed things that weren't broken and didn't need to be fixed and in doing so, broke them for how the people - their audience - used them.

Straight out, there is NO flash player in *existence* that will deliver the online comics as reliably, as easily, without taxing their servers all that much, and without a single shred of frustration like the original way they were presented. Yes, there were some navigational changes that could have been made .. but flash???? Geez. Badddd idea. I don't care how successful gocomi is with that - it will *never* compete in terms of pleasing the masses like the old way did, it can't even come close!

I just I'd had an opportunity or chance to warn him better . :( I truly feel his pain and I do not envy him right now at all. That's why I don't want to give him any more headaches poor guy I know what it is like to do a bunch of work and then have everyone just point out the crap that still needs work, it's annoying and gets you pissy. lol.

Maybe it seemed like too chaotic an idea to survey the user-base beforehand.  But, as you point out, once the whole redesign is DONE, there's a lot more reluctance to listen to user opinions or to change some things that aren't easily changeable.

Yeah it is ALWAYS more easy to point out different options and the pros and cons to each BEFORE committing yourself to the point that you actually shell out cash. Once they hit that level of personal commitment - the thing practically has to explode on them for them to realize it BEFORE they lose a huge chunk of their audience. it is really hard to regain traffic that has already come your way and been turned off. Like sites with pop-ups and music ... I tend to never come back, even to see if they ever got a clue, I just never want to go back.

Ah well, I guess it's really not my problem, but man. Sucks to watch this go down and be so blasted helpless. But at least it is a good refresher course on what NOT to do for myself so I guess there is a silver linin to it. Just hate to see my beloved EQ taking such hits - it's like I'm feeling the blows, know what I mean? lol

I have no doubt that they're listening to some degree, trying to fix some things, and that they're flexible on some things.  But we're already seeing that in other fundamental matters, they're not.

I think in the end, they'll come around. If they have folks that actually have a clue, they'll be fine. if they have folks that are by and large really winging this ...well, then it will be lesson time I guess and they get the joy of learning such vital lessons by trial and error, like we all did. They mean well and they want GOOD things for us so you know they just got us a glass of milk instead of the root beer float that we really wanted LOL. they'll come through in the end, of that I have no doubt. Well it mean we are stuck with some not so great features? Maybe. Time will tell!
~Faerydae

(also known as Rainy)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 02:43:13 PM »

On a more enjoyable topic... Foxeye, what do you say about making the calendar gallery public on the original schedule, independent of whether Richard gets it up on the website?  We have no way of knowing when the calendar will be posted and it seems a shame to keep hiding the submissions - it could be March for all we know if Richard has to keep putting out fires over there.  If the calendar had been posted on Jan 1st, the submission gallery would be opened on this Friday.

That sounds like a great idea. :)  I'll make it public this friday, unless I hear otherwise from you! *excited*

Faerydae

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • ElfWitch.com
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 02:45:44 PM »

Hmm I'm wondering if me even discussing this is a good idea - might it come across that I am insulting them or being negative? I don't mean it to be!

I do NOT want to dog on EQ or Richard or their decision at all - even if I might not agree with them! Perhaps it is inappririate in a forum even as public as this?

Maybe I should just delete my posts?
~Faerydae

(also known as Rainy)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up