Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advertising a sale  (Read 4660 times)

AngelsEmbrace

Advertising a sale
« on: December 23, 2009, 04:22:13 PM »

I'd like to sell some old artwork, both original and canon characters, and donate the money to http://www.missingkids.com/

Would advertising this be okay with the management here?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
Re: Advertising a sale
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 05:24:58 PM »

Aye, selling of things that have some tie to EQ is what this area of the forums is intended for. :)

Keep in mind that we still haven't heard definitively from WaRP as to whether it's OK for folks to ask money for art they draw of original characters. If they do eventually say they don't appreciate it, then we'll follow their lead and disallow postings of such sales here.  For now, however, we are erring on the side of not getting in the way of such sales.  I suspect that there will be more clarity on this some time next year (they are busy with their own site re-vamp).

AngelsEmbrace

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 03:00:33 PM »

Keep in mind that we still haven't heard definitively from WaRP as to whether it's OK for folks to ask money for art they draw of original characters.

Any news?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 04:21:16 PM »

'Fraid not. He's pretty busy with the elfquest.com revamp, so I understand, but I'll let him know that the question has re-surfaced.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 05:00:27 PM »

OK, here is his initial response:

I (speaking for Warp) don't mind if someone does a commission sketch at a convention. I don't mind if, in the course of an artist's work for Warp on EQ, they want to unload some of their original art pages. I do mind, however, if someone gives the impression that they are in the business of doing EQ art for others.

I do like the notion of freedom of expression with respect to fan art and fiction. I do not like the notion of someone using EQ for personal gain in such a manner that it appears we've given permission (explicit or implicit).

So, in a nutshell, WaRP does not give permission to offer paid commissions, or sell fan artwork, of ElfQuest copyrighted material for pay. If someone feels they have a situation which may warrant an exception, then you can PM Richard over at the elfquest.com forums, or send him an email (I believe rpini_at_elfquest.com still works).

In general we have no qualms with posting sales, or offering paid commissions for, original characters.  Whether or not any of your original characters run a risk of infringing on the ElfQuest copyright is not a gray area we are going to impose ourselves into.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:36:52 PM by Foxeye »
Pages: [1]   Go Up