Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to the Writer's Gallery!  (Read 14190 times)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
Welcome to the Writer's Gallery!
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:10:57 AM »

Welcome to the Writer's Gallery!

I looked for a software package that could create a "gallery" for fan fiction writers (a way to make all posts thereafter behave as comments, so that they wouldn't interrupt the flow of the story itself), but alas, I could not find it. So until such a time as I can write something myself, I've set aside this part of the forums for your stories.

One helpful note...unfortunately tabs are not supported by SMF, but spaces are. So if you want to indent your paragraphs using spaces, it will remember your formatting.

Like so.

manga

• Treewee
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the Writer's Gallery!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 06:25:35 PM »

Thank you for setting this up, Foxeye!  It looks gorgeous!

As far as the writer's gallery goes, you might not want to have all posts thereafter behave as comments.  Many of writers post section after section of the story in the same thread.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 08:16:58 PM »

I agree. I'd only want to do it if the original poster had the option to add posts up at the top still, if that makes sense.

Farscout

• Treewee
    • View Profile
    • River Twine Holt
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 04:21:33 PM »

Do folks only want fic that features canon characters?  Or is posting fic created for various Holts going to be kosher as well?
email me at farscout@rivertwine.com

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 04:43:04 PM »

It is certainly kosher by these boards. If it's the elfquest-world, then it's all good. Or canon-characters in non-canon worlds. As long as there is something elfquest related.

And heck, if it's not even elfquest you can post it in off-topic. :P

can't speak for anyone else, but good writing always trumps canon vs non-canon for me. :)

PenDragon

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 02:27:27 PM »

Speaking of good writing, is there any interest in starting a discussion about the craft of writing?  Or does such a discussion already exist?
My avatar is Avatar - get it?

Multimedea

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 09:53:14 AM »

I don't think such a topic exists on this board; but I'd certainly be interested in it if it did. Would it be about fan fiction writing in general or writing for EQ specifically? Or about the art of writing anything?
The sorrow of the elves is that
The things they love must die...
(The Tree of swords and jewels waits for me)
Time withers all about them,
Yet the elves it passes by...
(When shall I hang my own upon the Tree?)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 04:31:55 PM »

I think it would be great if people had these discussions, whether about fan fic or not.  I don't know as I'd do much more than lurk myself, but we're starting to get a larger population of writers here, so I think there would be voices joining in.

PenDragon

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 03:26:28 PM »

... Or about the art of writing anything?

I think writing, in general, would be a good topic.
My avatar is Avatar - get it?

Multimedea

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 12:44:48 PM »

With so many new members joining for the Calendar contest, hopefully this drag more writers on board, too.  :D

I guess I'll kick off the first discussion topic:

What inspires you to write?

With me, it's generally that others aren't writing the kind of stories I want to read. Or, at least, aren't writing enough of them.  ;D I can be either very driven or very lazy about the whole thing. When I'm in the zone for it, I can go for hours or even days getting down the words I hear in my head. It's almost like overhearing a conversation and trying to keep up with it with my typing. When I'm not in the zone, I usually spend my time running over in my head plot points I want to hit or want to strengthen up. Or, draw out scenes for further inspiration. But I suppose my main reason to write is that I love words and how they fit together and that I like to go to places and have adventures that I generally don't get to do in real life.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:48:12 PM by Multimedea »

spazzy815

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »

what inspires me to write is seeing how well you can take a topic and add little things to it and make it your own.  I think it's really amazing to see what some peolple can come up with and how they make stories out of it.  I think it's inspiring to see how well someone can meld in their own stories and feelings into what they write, even if it really doesn't have much to do with their own life.  That's why i write anyway  :D

Startear

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 05:10:46 PM »

There are so many things which inspires me. It can be that something I want isn't written, knowing a character and wondering how they would react if this or hat happened, making lesser characters shine for once, what other people say and feel... so many things. Getting them done can take some time though.  ::)
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 03:58:50 PM »

Helloo there! I don't know if I'm asking in the right place, but this is something that has to do with fanfics, I think it would be nice If I could mark my stories so that they could be seen clearly from the comments that are in the same post, I was wondering, how do you do that red/orange, or what ever other colors are there, Highlighting to your text? I'm not even sure what it's called. I see people use it sometimes in the forums...

Startear

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 04:10:24 PM »

Well, it depends. What I do is to mark the text I want to use bold or anything on, then I click on the button I want. It will show up as    :[ b, i or u (bold, cursive, underline, depending on which button you click on) ]: Take away :, they are there to show them, many places these disappear.

If you want to change color at the text entirely, like here, you see the change color chooser and select which you want.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 04:12:03 PM by Startear »
"I know some think me a fool, or that I am too quick with my tongue, or too ready with the blade -- but I live by my own honor, my Way. I would give my life for any of you."

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 09:37:02 PM »

I have been wondering how you do the color thing katcombs used in the member characters post, where she is noting that her character has a daughter... but I'll try those things you told me too!...

Multimedea

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 08:50:24 AM »

Here are a few visual aids that might help, Berit...

And this is what you should get...

Those options should show up everytime you create a topic or reply to one. You might not see them if you quote someone else, but there should be a link to them there.:D

Berit

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 09:39:57 AM »

Oh thank you so much! this will be a lot of help!...
Pages: [1]   Go Up