Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ElfSong  (Read 9655 times)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
ElfSong
« on: October 17, 2009, 09:24:01 AM »

Interesting discovery I made thanks to Deviant Art.

www.elfsong.com

Mat Nastos, who did some pencils and inks for ElfQuest, is working on a webcomic that will eventually be a print comic that he admits is heavily influenced by Elfquest (and Elflord and Savage Sword of Conan).  No pages are available yet, but the site graphics and character picture could almost be a wolfrider who developed a fifth finger.

If his art style remains consistent, this could be an interesting one to follow. I don't know how good his storytelling is, but I'm obviously a sucker for how it is going to look. :)

Some quotes from the site:

Elfquest, and the amazingly beautiful artwork of Wendy Pini, has always been a dominant force in my life and in the way I approach my own art. Coming out of the 70s, her work was an amazing blend of underground comics, early Japanese Manga and animation. I’ve always felt Wendy is one of the most under appreciated comic book artists in the world and that very few artists have ever approached her level of sophistication in storytelling and emotion.

and

ElfSong is my love letter to the high level of storytelling that has come before me. With it, I hope to bring out the beauty and spirituality of Elfquest, the energy and quirkiness of Elflord, and the high level of illustrative skill of Savage Sword of Conan.

Icebird

• Wolf
  • Toasty
    • View Profile
Re: ElfSong
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 09:38:08 AM »

The style is definitely high-quality and super pleasant to look at, though I'm a little afraid it's a little too close to the ElfQuest style. However, it might be the pose and appearance of the front model that reminds me of a certain fighting cockerel :D

Ah, even if I say that you'll have a reading buddy in me - apparently we share an affinity towards eye-candy ;D

aurianfae

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 11:11:48 AM »

I remember buying Elflord when I was younger and being disappointed in the fact that it was not cannon elfquest as I thought it was, and also that the art was not nearly as good as the EQ comics.

MatN

• Treewee
    • View Profile
    • ElfSong
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 02:12:42 PM »

It's crazy to see people talking about my site and ElfSong and there's nothing really up yet.  Hopefully I can keep everyone interested once I have the comic going!

I wasn't a huge fan of the early ElfLord art either, but Barry went on to do some really great work in the 90s.  I had a chance to work with him while I was doing the ElfQuest work and I learned a huge amount from both he and Richard Pini on creating comics.  If you're seen my work, then you already know what a giant fan of Wendy's work I am.  I've felt her influence on everything I've done -- from comics, to film, to working at Disney.  If I can capture 1/10 of her passion or love of storytelling in my own work, then I'll feel like I've accomplished something.

Thanks again for checking out the site...I'll be putting up never work every couple of days until the webcomic is ready to go in November.  Look for a new colored piece later on today.

-Mat N.
http://www.ElfSong.com

aurianfae

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 02:58:05 PM »

I remember when I was young wanting to be able to draw like Wendy, but I never even considered working for them... as an eight-year-old I think I just assumed that she did all of the artwork herself! Are you planning on using her world of two moons or creating a new one for your story? I don't know if that's even allowed... Anyway, I can see the differences between your work and hers, but it's not a bad thing. ^__^  I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

MatN

• Treewee
    • View Profile
    • ElfSong
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 04:42:54 PM »

ElfSong will have a completely different setting, different rules...It'll be a completely different comic.

aurianfae

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 05:10:44 PM »

Well I'm looking forward to seeing what it will be about! Also I noticed that they have five fingers instead of four. ;-)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 05:29:03 PM »

Mat...which EQ issues did you do penciling for?  If I were dig out those comics, would I get a sense for your art style (beyond what elfsong.com shows so far!), or have you evolved a lot since then?

MatN

• Treewee
    • View Profile
    • ElfSong
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 06:32:47 PM »

The EQ stuff isn't a good representation at all.  It was 15 years ago and was some of my first pro work (I was 19).  They had me drawing a book in about 8 days, which is pretty nuts.  I also did a bunch of inking/finishes over Barry Blair's work.  I can post some of the work if anyone really wants to see it.

MatN

• Treewee
    • View Profile
    • ElfSong
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 02:20:50 PM »

I have a question that is open to anyone and everyone on these boards.  Would you guys be more interested in reading a new story as a traditionally published comic (I'm actually considering doing it black and white at magazine size, just like the original ElfQuest and Savage Sword of Conan comics) or as a web comic with.  This is assuming, of course, the story was to your liking.

Any and all input is welcome.

-Mat N.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 02:29:42 PM »

If I like a story, then either (or both) format is welcome.  :)  And If I *really* like a story, then I lean more towards a physical copy (though a webcomic might be the easier way to learn about a comic these days).

Icemoon

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 03:03:30 AM »

Me, I like buying the comics,but I prefer read them on web if the comic doesn't appear in France (logical, isn't it ;) )

Mat, just wanted to tell you that the drawings are awesome !!!!!!
hope your comic will be soon up !!!

:D
dreams, moon, night, snow, ice, colors ...

aurianfae

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 10:07:26 AM »

I prefer comics, but usually what happens is that if I like a webcomic I will buy it in book form as well just so I can have it.

MatN

• Treewee
    • View Profile
    • ElfSong
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 08:57:58 PM »

Thanks to you all for the input.  It definitely helps!  And thanks for the kind words about my art.  I hope you enjoy the comic as much as the character illustrations. 

-Mat N.

Faerydae

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • ElfWitch.com
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 09:37:25 PM »

I'm an old comic collector, so there is a HUGE soft spot for me in having a tangible piece of art in imagery and writing in my mitts.

But ... it takes a lot more these days for me to part with my dollars - especially since by and large I quit collecting years and years ago cuz  had such an outrageous comic habit (my habit averaged like 80 bucks a week - without crossover bridges from hell unless of course I had a bunch of I *havetahavethese* hit me lol) ... so now I sort of require a comic to truly suck me in before I cave and purchase.

So web comics help ... cuz I do collect still if I just love it.

Like ... original EQ stuff ... I've looked at it for years owned a bunch of it and still do ... and I *still* buy the stuff. LOL.

They could give me free stuff for years - and I would still spend my cash, just the way it is, you know? lol

"When youse gots ta has, youse gots ta has." lol
~Faerydae

(also known as Rainy)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 12:01:14 PM »

Funny how these things work out...due to bumping into each other on DA and then here, Mat ended up asking me to color the cover of the second issue. :)  It sounds like this one will be out mid-summer-ish.

I had fun with the reaver (the bad guy)...after coloring/drawing so many gorgeous elven beauties, he was a fun change of pace.  Alas, Mat wouldn't let me give him any rotten teeth though. *pout*  ;)

MatN

• Treewee
    • View Profile
    • ElfSong
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 08:32:26 PM »

I love what you did with the cover.  Great stuff...and don't let anyone give you a hard time about "rough" art.  Like I said, it's got energy and life to it!

-Mat N
Pages: [1]   Go Up