Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions?  (Read 284118 times)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
Questions?
« on: March 10, 2009, 11:35:40 AM »

Please post here and let me know if you have any questions about how to use the forum, or whether certain kinds of art or OK or not, or really anything you are confused about.

To answer one question that was already asked in PMs:

Yes, you can post original characters from the World of Two Moons. :) That counts as elfquest fanart.  But if it's elves from a world of your own, or from, say, Lord of the Rings or World of Warcraft, that would be off-topic.

Sweetwater

Re: Questions?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:59:30 AM »

Thank you for adding this!

Ok i've got another question.

I figured out how to make a user gallery...but i'm stumped on how to add pictures to said gallery. help?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 12:03:53 PM »

Once you've created the gallery, you need to first click on the gallery itself to open it.

Once you are in the gallery you should see an "Add an item to this gallery" link.

If you can't find it, let me know and I'll make a set of screenshots and create a stick post in the Guides section.

Sweetwater

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 12:11:11 PM »

Thank you so much!

Kitt

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Kitt Mouri
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 12:13:29 PM »

Hey, in the Writer's Gallery, is it alright to put stories (particularly long stories) in their own threads?  For example, one thread would be Story ONE and all it's chapters while another thread would be Story TWO and all it's chapters while an additional thread would be Author's thread with all the little ficlets and poems therein?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 12:26:16 PM »

I figure people can structure their stories however works for them, but I know if it were me I'd do it like you describe. :)

Kitt

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Kitt Mouri
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 12:31:15 PM »

Thank you, ma'am!  ;D

branchscamper

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 11:38:43 PM »

I'm a bit confused on how to make various galleries under your gallery.  I *think* I did it correctly, but then again I'm guessing you can't move a piece of art from one to the other?  And you can't delete a gallery you have? 

I can never figure out the simple things ^^;;;

Edit - also do you have to make icon size pics so your gallery has those? 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:56:08 PM by branchscamper »

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 09:39:40 AM »

You don't need to make icon pics, fortunately...you can just use any sized picture, and it will resize it for you.  Or you can use the checkbox at the bottom of a submission that tells it that you want it to use that image as the icon.

And it is correct that you can't delete a gallery, but you can always PM me and ask me to delete one. :)  Hopefully a future version of the gallery software will allow for this.

Unfortunately not even I can move images, so your only option is to re-submit an image to a new gallery, and deleting the old copy.

branchscamper

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 11:49:04 AM »

Coolness.  Thank you!

I have it figured out and am working on it.  I'll remember to PM you with things like deleting galleries.  I always hate to be a bother though ^^;;

Thank you once again!

Multimedea

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 06:03:03 PM »

Hi, Foxeye! I just wanted to let everyone know that the maximum character length of posts is 20,000, so you might have to break up a longer story into a couple of parts in the Writer's Gallery. ;D
The sorrow of the elves is that
The things they love must die...
(The Tree of swords and jewels waits for me)
Time withers all about them,
Yet the elves it passes by...
(When shall I hang my own upon the Tree?)

Flowerstar

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 11:05:29 PM »

Would it be possible to get comment notifications for the gallery? In the Writer's Gallery that is easy since you just need the reply notification but in the gallery it seems you can only see new comments by checking your gallery manually ??? (or am I being daft again and only didn't find it?).
Humour is reason gone mad. (Mark Twain)

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 06:47:39 AM »

I have kind of a similar question: I noticed when logging in today that little "new" icons appear next to pieces of art that have been "updated" in some way, such as by receiving comments since you last viewed them.  That's a very helpful feature!

What I'm wondering is whether it's possible to get the top-level User Galleries to have that "new" icon appear next to their title if new art has been added to them since the last time you logged in.

Especially in these early days, when folks are uploading a LOT, and therefore stuff gets pushed off the front "new" page pretty quickly, it'd be really helpful at the User Galleries level to know whether there's new art you haven't seen in some users' folders.

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 06:49:25 AM »

Second question. :)

Would it be a good idea to create a section (like there is at the SoC) just for fan holts to create threads for advertising purposes?  (Whit posted a RTH thread here under "General Discussion", but I can imagine going forward that it would be more efficient in a lot of ways for holt advertising threads to go in their own dedicated section?)

Windschatten

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 07:29:53 AM »

I'd appreciate if such a "Top-level"- new icon, how sgaana  suggested as well *nod* That would be very helpful :)

And I'm totally backing the idea of a fan hold section, too.

Another question. Maybe I'm just a bit dense, but as I clicked through the galary it told me that I can't look at some pictures. How can I change that?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 08:59:08 AM »

That's three requests now for a Holts section. Hmmm!  I prefer "leaner" boards (rather than lots of categories), but ... now that I think about it, I can see how someone looking for a holt wouldn't want to have to search through non-holt posts to see all the possibilities.

Fair 'nuff...I'll add it as a child board of General Discussion. 

Another question. Maybe I'm just a bit dense, but as I clicked through the galary it told me that I can't look at some pictures. How can I change that?

There is a setting to "show mature content" in your Account Settings, under Profile. And then you have to be > 18, which means your birthday needs to be set in your Forum Profile (the place where you change avatar and sig and the like).

Windschatten

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 11:17:01 AM »

:D Ahh thank you .. Found it now *blush*

Firestorm

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »

Hello Foxeye,

First I wanted to say thank you for establishing this website! I and my sister both have been fans since '87 and will always love EQ.

I would also greatly love to post artwork...only I'm NOT computer savvy. If I manage to scan artwork, how would I go about creating a gallery and uploading images onto it? I've searched around the Gallery and Forums but seem to just get more puzzled about it.

If you could help point me in the right direction, that would be wonderful.

Thank you, and have a good weekend.
FireStorm  :)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 03:14:36 PM »

Good to have you here Firestorm. :)

I think your question is one that will come up easily, so I just now whipped up a picture-guide of how to add a gallery and images. Let me know if you still have questions after this:

http://www.elfquestfanart.com/index.php?topic=56

Kitt

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Kitt Mouri
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 05:28:07 AM »

Hey, in the same way that there's a chibi subforum for Holts, is it possible to do that with non-EQ related art?  It would be easier to browse folks' artworks if you didn't have to look through assorted non-art related topics and would be almost like a second gallery. :)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 09:45:10 AM »

Hahahaha, did you call it a chibi subforum?!  That's cute. I like that.

And that's a good idea...I'll create one.

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 11:36:36 AM »

Foxeye -- I never saw an answer as to whether what I was asking below was possible or not.  (I mean, if not, fine; I respect the limitations of programming!  I just wanted to know.)

I have kind of a similar question: I noticed when logging in today that little "new" icons appear next to pieces of art that have been "updated" in some way, such as by receiving comments since you last viewed them.  That's a very helpful feature!

What I'm wondering is whether it's possible to get the top-level User Galleries to have that "new" icon appear next to their title if new art has been added to them since the last time you logged in.

Especially in these early days, when folks are uploading a LOT, and therefore stuff gets pushed off the front "new" page pretty quickly, it'd be really helpful at the User Galleries level to know whether there's new art you haven't seen in some users' folders.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 01:48:56 PM »

My apologies, I think I missed that before. :)

That would be an extremely useful feature. It's not one that is available as a standard part of the gallery package, I don't believe, but I'll take a look at their code and see if I can figure out how to add it myself.  It's possible it's relatively simple.

Wildfire

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 02:05:08 PM »

Hmm, I can't figure out how to change the album icon? I've tried the "Upload Album Icon" and I've checked the box when uploading the picture, but it doesn't change  ???

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 02:22:36 PM »

Hmm, I can't figure out how to change the album icon? I've tried the "Upload Album Icon" and I've checked the box when uploading the picture, but it doesn't change  ???

After you change it, try refreshing your browser a few times. I always have to refresh after I change an album icon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up