Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Site Rules  (Read 90842 times)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
Old Site Rules
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:50:22 AM »

These message boards are a forum for ElfQuest and its fan creations, as well as the people who are interested in these things. You're welcome to discuss topics that you like, related or not to elfquest and art/writing. We simply ask that you choose the right forum for your posts.

As with any public forum there will be times when we will not all get along. If you have a problem with a fellow forum-goer, please try to resolve the issue through private messages. No need to bother the others over what's basically a private squabble. If you can't resolve your differences, just ignore each others' posts. If that doesn't work, only then come to me.

If you have a problem with how I conduct these forums, please PM me before you start a thread about it. Dirty laundry needs to be cleaned and being hush-hush about that kind of stuff isn't necessarily the way to go, but in the interest of maintaining board-peace it'd be good to try to resolve the problem before it escalates to thread-level.

Here are the rules for these boards:

!! Current sig and linking rules !!

Images, Linking, And Other Stuff:
  • Please try to avoid excess gore in pictures and stories you upload.
  • Directly link, in the forums, only pictures and other material that are work-safe. Use a text-link if you wish to share a picture or other material that is not work-safe, and clearly label what we can find at the other end of that link.
  • Maximum allowed image size in forum posts is 800 pixels wide and 1000 pixels tall, and maximum file size should be 300kilobytes. This limit is enforced. If you want to show a picture larger than 800 by 1000 pixels or 300kilobytes, please link to it.
  • Maximum allowed image size in the gallery is 3072 pixels wide and 3072 pixels tall, and maximum file size should be 3072 kilobytes. This limit is enforced.
  • Please avoid gallery "flooding." This is not so much a rule as a courtesy: please be thoughtful about uploading large numbers (10+) of images to gallery in one sitting. The first page of "recent images" is prime real estate, and we don't want to push other artists off who only just posted their art.

Signatures and Avatars:
  • No solicitations in sigs.
  • No animated sigs or avatars.
  • No sigs or avatars with excess gore or explicit sex.
  • No sigs or avatars with copyrighted content unless you have the artist's permission.
  • Maximum sig size: 5 lines of text or a 500 x 150 pixels/100k image + 1 line of text.
  • Maximum avatar size: 80 x 80 pixels, 25k image

The Five Easy Ways To Get Banned:
  • Persistently not following forum rules or respecting our authority on these boards.
  • Persistently not respecting others on these boards.
  • Persistently starting flame wars.
  • Persistently flaming us or ElfQuest. Flaming ElfQuest or us will not get you banned. Doing so persistently will.
  • Astroturfing (also see shill).

Forum Organization

Posts are organized into different boards like so:

From the Admins - Messages from the staff.
  • Guides & Guidelines - These are the enduring "how-to" and "what do I do" posts.  Only Admins may start or move posts to this board.

Elfquest - All things on-topic.
  • Art and ElfQuest - This is essentially the "on topic" section of this site. Anything having to do with ElfQuest or artistic endeavors is on topic, and thus is discussed here. EXCEPTION: Please put ElfQuest Fan Fiction in the Writer's Gallery.
  • Writer's Gallery - A board dedicated for posting ElfQuest fan fiction.
  • Holts - A place to talk about holts, look for holts, and recruit for holts

Off-Topic - The place to discuss anything not appropriate to the rest of the site.
  • Chit-Chat - This is the generic off-topic section. Off-topic means stuff not-Elfquest or art.
  • The Other Art Gallery - This is the place to post your non-Elfquest art. We encourage you to share your non-Elfquest creative pieces, but the gallery itself should be kept Elfquest.
  • Trading Post - A place to share and to trade Elfquest stuff. Be sure to check the trading post rules. All transactions are unsupervised, and happen between individual parties. Elfquestfanart.com or its staff does not endorse any transactions facilitated by this board.
  • Rants! - Wear a hard hat. Here be dragons. Abandon all hope, ye who enters here. Check any and all feelings at the door.

Site Rules:

In Short:
  • Do not spam, or register with intent to spam.
  • Respect creators' copyrights.
  • Tag mature contents properly.
  • Do not post non-Elfquest art or stories in the gallery. If you wish to share art or stories not related to ElfQuest, you can start a thread in the appropriate section of the forum (i.e. The Other Art Gallery).
  • Familiarize yourself with the current sig, avatar, image size, and linking rules in this thread. These rules may change from time to time, so check back occasionally.
  • These rules work in conjunction with the user agreement at the bottom of this page, not in its stead. You must read to and agree to these rules and the user agreement.

Forum Topics That Are Welcome:
  • Anything not listed below.

Forum Topics That Aren't Welcome:
  • Threads dedicated to flaming an individual or their efforts.
  • Repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and over and..... in one thread.
  • Commercial solicitations and advertisements. If you're unsure, contact the admins.

Derailed Forum Conversations:
  • If a topic gets de-railed from its original scope the original poster can request via PMs that we split the off-topic part into a separate thread. Doing this will help those posters who would like their thread to stay on topic, while allowing threads to evolve in the organic manner they sometimes do provided the original poster doesn't mind.
  • We may, at our discretion, split topics if we think that these boards would benefit from the discussion that's off-subject in the original thread.

Briefly About Copyright:
  • Please keep copyright-infringing material away from this site. Thank you.
  • If you use someone's photograph as a background, get direct permission from the original author and give them credit. Content from "free clip-art sites" is not sufficient: more often than not images in those galleries were taken without asking the artist. Many times I have found the artwork of friends on such sites and they had no idea their artwork had been made "free" to the public. Just because a third party says a picture is free, doesn't mean it is. You need the permission of the actual owner, whether it be by contacting them, or permission being given on their site.
  • The same is true if you trace someone's artwork. You need the permission of the person you traced, and you need to give them credit.
  • We know this isn't something that most people are accustomed to, but this site is intended to be a bastion of respect for others' original creations, and unfortunately this means a little inconvenience for those who do mixed media art.
  • Special rules for dolls: Credit (with links) the base maker or originating doll machine. If you have not done any post-work to a doll that you created in a doll-maker (example: adjusting clothing, adding jewelry, etc), then please do not upload it here. Such dolls are so quick and easy to make that if we allowed their upload, they would push art that takes hours (even days) to make off the front page. You are welcome to share these in the forums, of course.

Briefly About Mature Content:
  • Mature content must be properly labeled. Image upload in the gallery has a toggle for indicating whether a picture is mature; please preface any stories containing mature content with [mature] tag in front of the title.
  • Things that qualify as mature are visible genitalia, graphic depictions of sexual activities, and gore. Bare breasts in a non-sexual situation are OK. If you are uncertain, err on the side of caution and PM the admin's asking for a judgement call.
  • There is a setting in your Account Settings in your profile for toggling visibility of mature content in the gallery. By default mature gallery content is not visible to you. If you are over 18, toggling this setting will make mature gallery content visible to you.
  • The gallery software determines your age based on what you tell us in your forum profile. You have the option to not tell us your age (this is default), but if you do choose to tell us your age you are required to be truthful about it.

User Agreement:
  • You agree to adhere to the above rules. Major changes to this agreement will be communicated via an email to the address you used to register on this forum, so be sure to register with an email you check periodically.
  • These are privately owned boards. If there are disputes or requests we will hear the arguments, but in the end our word is the law in this corner of the Internet. We heavily advocate free speech, but remember that free speech only applies because of the goodness of our hearts -- it is not required by an actual law in a private forum like this or others like it.
  • You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law.
  • By posting a picture or a story, either in the gallery or the forum, you assert that you are the copyright-holder for that piece, or are acting as an authorized agent for the copyright-holder. You also grant us a temporary, revokable license to show that material on these forums. You can revoke the license at any time by removing the material from your post or the gallery. You also agree generally not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright, or have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material, or in good faith believe that posting the material falls under Fair Use.
  • Spam, flooding, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and wanton solicitations are forbidden on this forum.
  • Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner.
  • Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.
  • You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.
  • You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another person except an administrator, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason.  We also HIGHLY recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft.
  • After you register and login to this forum, you will be able to fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information the forum owner or staff determines to be inaccurate or vulgar in nature will be removed, with or without prior notice. Appropriate sanctions may be applicable.
  • Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.
  • Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:10:47 PM by Treefox »

Kitt

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Kitt Mouri
Re: Site Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 01:45:48 PM »

I know this was an issue on the old forum, but when people trace or reference existing art (ie: a panel from an actual ElfQuest comic or another artist's work), should they make a note of it in their artist's commentary to give credit where credit is due?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 01:58:22 PM »

I know this was an issue on the old forum, but when people trace or reference existing art (ie: a panel from an actual ElfQuest comic or another artist's work), should they make a note of it in their artist's commentary to give credit where credit is due?

Thank you for bringing this up. :) Yes, they absolutely should. 

If you see someone tracing or using things from another artist and it isn't labelled, send me a PM and I'll speak to the member involved.

Which reminds me...one of the pieces I colored was a pose-reference to a different elfquest fan artist. Must make  mention of that.

Nevaratoiel

• Treewee
  • I don't bite... hard...
    • View Profile
    • Elfae.com
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 02:25:04 PM »

Just to make sure: So art that's not related to ElfQuest is accepted, as long as Elfquest art has the upperhand? Does this also apply for drawings that are not elves?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 02:54:13 PM »

Just to make sure: So art that's not related to ElfQuest is accepted, as long as Elfquest art has the upperhand? Does this also apply for drawings that are not elves?

The system you describe is how it worked for the old boards, but there was a lot of interest expressed on the scroll that we be more strict about it this time.  So this time around the gallery is for ElfQuest-related only, no exceptions.  If folks have non-elfquest art they are very very welcome to share it in the forums (there's a new child-board under Off-Topic).  I figure that way those who come looking just for EQ art won't have to do any filtering, but those of us who have other stuff they want to share can still do so.

To ramble on a bit....

...that doesn't mean canon characters only, of course. It can be original characters. Or animals from the world of two moons. Or spaceships we saw in the Jink/FutureQuest storylines. Just, y'know, some relationship to the world/stories/characters of ElfQuest.

And any old elves with big ears don't count. :)   I figure if it's an elf it has to qualify on one of three grounds: 1) canon character even if in a non-wendy art style, 2) wendy-type elf with the swooshy ears and big eyes, or 3) clearly introduced as an original character in the world of two moons (because obviously not everyone has to like drawing the swooshy ears and big eyes).  An MMORPG character that the artist named after an ElfQuest character does not count. :P

Nevaratoiel

• Treewee
  • I don't bite... hard...
    • View Profile
    • Elfae.com
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 03:03:14 PM »

Ok, so no go in the gallery for not elves. Ok, understood. Maybe I'll post some art in the off topic part then. :)
Thanks for the clarification.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 03:21:27 PM »

Please do. :)

And just to be ultra-crystal clear, I don't mean to say "only elves". But "only elfquest".  So abodean wolves and zwoots and treewees and blue mountain in a landscape and whatnot are all cool too. (I'm sure you understood that, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't confusing the next person.)

roedhunt

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 10:20:29 PM »

Hi there! I am a new member and I have a quick question because I want to be absolutely clear on posting artwork. (I don't want to get in trouble)  ;D

Years and years ago the Pinis had made it abuntantly clear that no one under any circumstances could draw any likeness of Elfquest. Now obviously that is not the case nowadays, but I am still leery of posting my artwork. Most are character sketches - drawn (not traced) from canon Elfquest.

Are these acceptable to post? If so, should a folder of mine need to be labelled "Canon Artwork"?

Thanks!

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 10:35:26 PM »

Goodness...there was a time when they felt that way?!  :O  It's hard to imagine. 

In any case, yes, artwork you've drawn of canon characters are very welcome.  There is no need to label the folder...that's just something some of us do because we feel like organizing our artwork. 

And welcome (back)!

Khat

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »

I am an "old" member and was very excited to see that Mouse was uploading pictures again.

However, even though I have the "mature" button marked on my profile, all I get is a big 'ol "MATURE CONTENT" page when I try to click on his art.

Help?

(And, I am WELL over 18...though it's nice to think that is the reason that I can't see things  ;) )

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 12:03:33 PM »

(And, I am WELL over 18...though it's nice to think that is the reason that I can't see things  ;) )

Heh, while you may be over 18, the forum doesn't know that until you tell it. :) In your account profile under "Forum Profile Information" look for a birthday field: it is currently set to 0000-00-00.

Khat

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 06:04:53 PM »

Ah, so I actually have to TELL the computer how old I am?  Heavens. ;)

Thanks for the help!

Leanan

• AdultSwim
  • Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 11:43:52 AM »

Hi, I've just registered on this forum. I had to click 'I agree' on a registration agreement. I can't remember the exact wording, but it said I'm not allowed to post mature content and sexually oriented material. Is this forum on a web server (or something) that prohibits mature content? Is 'sexually oriented material' somehow different from 'erotic art'?

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 11:55:51 AM »

*laughing* Woops. I think that's just us not updating the default registration agreement that comes with the forum software.  Apologies for that. 

I'll add that to my list of things to fix.

(Oh, and hi Leanan!)

Leanan

• AdultSwim
  • Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 12:01:16 PM »

Ah, that explains it then. :D I just wanted to check, since I always follow the registration rules when I sign up on a forum.

(Hi Foxeye!)

Obi-Rak Kaeliri

• The Silent One
  • Treewee
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire webcomic
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 01:37:25 AM »

Ha! The agreement is now updated!

Looks like the registration agreement is now pretty much the same as what's in the Site Rules post.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 01:26:54 PM by Obi-Rak Kaeliri »

elfqueenvik

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 02:26:22 PM »

Hi  I am a new member and I have a quick question, does elfquest costuming count as fan art? It is an art from, it just involves sewing :-) (if not I think it would be great to add a section on the forum specifically for elf quest costuming.)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 02:32:13 PM by elfqueenvik »

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 03:06:17 PM »

does elfquest costuming count as fan art?

Abso-fraggin-lutely. :)  (And good to see you here!)

elfqueenvik

• Treewee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 06:00:49 AM »

Abso-fraggin-lutely. :)  (And good to see you here!)
Yay, I have an Aroree costume and I plan on doing Brill and Ember Costumes in the Future.

Spaceship505

• Treewee
    • View Profile
    • Portal Page of Petra de Roodt
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 05:18:23 PM »

And any old elves with big ears don't count. :)   I figure if it's an elf it has to qualify on one of three grounds: 1) canon character even if in a non-wendy art style, 2) wendy-type elf with the swooshy ears and big eyes, or 3) clearly introduced as an original character in the world of two moons (because obviously not everyone has to like drawing the swooshy ears and big eyes).  An MMORPG character that the artist named after an ElfQuest character does not count. :P

I just want to get a few things absolutely clear about the whole labeling. If I draw a original EQ-character I can obviously post them on this website. If I were to draw a character that isn't originally EQ but that lives of the world of two moons, following all the 'EQ rules', I can still post it. But what if you have the Wendy art style, because that's how you learn to draw once upon a time, but your characters live on a world of your own, following the rules you made up yourself. So non-EQ characters that do happen to have the swooshy ears and big eyes. I see my characters as being very different, but anyone who knows EQ just a little can tell that I was at least inspired by EQ in terms of artwork (when we get to the stories it's a whole different matter).

I just want to be sure whether I can post my own characters here or if I should just stick to true fan art. I don't want to step on any toes you know ;)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 06:19:27 PM »

I like to think of it in these terms: If you did not tell anyone that a character was not an ElfQuest elf, would they be able to tell?  If they could not tell, then I think the art is still of interest of ElfQuest fans.

This approach, however, is not just a mandate passed down to me...it was established by the prevailing sentiments of the community. So if anyone has an opinion that differs from mine, please feel welcome to speak up!

Spaceship505

• Treewee
    • View Profile
    • Portal Page of Petra de Roodt
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 10:56:23 AM »

Tricky, I actually took steps like changing the ears a little (pointed down more instead of up) to get away a bit from EQ as I do wat to publich my comic one of these days, but the overall style still says EQ to many people (I don't know whether that's a gift or a curse ;). It's like my to entries for the calendar but with slightly different ears.

You know, if we were talking about Japanese comics, none of this would be a problem *lol*

Multimedea

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 06:50:32 PM »

Well, we could be talking about spaghetti and meatballs, and it wouldn't be a problem, either. But, we're not talking about that, or, Japanese comics.  ;D
The sorrow of the elves is that
The things they love must die...
(The Tree of swords and jewels waits for me)
Time withers all about them,
Yet the elves it passes by...
(When shall I hang my own upon the Tree?)

Embala

• Zwoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 05:10:33 AM »

Stupid question of the day:

Directly link, in the forums, only pictures and other material that are work-safe. Use a text-link if you wish to share a picture or other material that is not work-safe, and clearly label what we can find at the other end of that link.

What does "work-safe" actually mean? My dictionary is no help. and yes - I know the meaning of both "work" and "safe" ;)

Multimedea

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 06:28:40 AM »

Stupid question of the day:

What does "work-safe" actually mean? My dictionary is no help. and yes - I know the meaning of both "work" and "safe" ;)

Something that, if it shows up on your computer screen at work, you wouldn't mind your boss or co-workers seeing. ;D
The sorrow of the elves is that
The things they love must die...
(The Tree of swords and jewels waits for me)
Time withers all about them,
Yet the elves it passes by...
(When shall I hang my own upon the Tree?)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up